Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 14:36   #16
BHPian

Re: Raid De Himalaya 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
isn't adventure supposed to be cheaper than extreme?
Whats ur plan Paras..?? Extreme or Adventure..?
Old 4th March 2011, 14:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The problem with the Fortuner is its body roll...I drive my Fortuner often on the Ghats, and don't feel comfortable driving fast on corners and winding roads. Otherwise, it can eat up the Raid terrain easily.
Target speed given in Adventure is not so high, you can easily manage.
Old 4th March 2011, 14:42   #18
BANNED

Friends,
I am thinking to partcipate in the Adventure category with 2010 model MAJOR 4wd,soft top from Bangalore.
Need a good partner from Bangalore to join and guide me with pros and cons using a Major 4wd in this event.
Rajith
Old 4th March 2011, 15:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiontodrive View Post
Yes for sure, even as per the raid website: if you are participating in Adventure you need some money, but if you are participating in Extreme you need lot of money.

Now question is: Who will ask them?
(Billi ke gale main ghanti kaun bandhega)

No No No.. Not me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitku View Post
Is the Entry Fee kept high to reduce the number of participants..?? Are the organisers having logistics nightmares..??
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
isn't adventure supposed to be cheaper than extreme?
Initiative Taken: I have forwarded the link of this thread to Raid Officials, let's hope if they consider our request. Let's pray to them as well aside to GOD.
Old 4th March 2011, 15:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Friends,
I am thinking to partcipate in the Adventure category with 2010 model MAJOR 4wd,soft top from Bangalore.
Need a good partner from Bangalore to join and guide me with pros and cons using a Major 4wd in this event.
Rajith

Hi Rajith, Soft top vehicle may not be allowed to compete, as per the FMSCI regulation ONLY vehicles with a hard top are allowed. Safety being the main concern.

If i remember correctly a fellow Bhpian has done the raid in a Classic with a Different engine and an aluminium hard top.
Old 7th March 2011, 19:42   #21
BHPian

As promised in "Raid De Himalaya 2010". I will update this thread on each and every step. We all know navigation is the biggest strength or weakness of any participant. Mr. Sudev Brar is conducting a one day training camp in Chandigarh. Golden chance for me as I am referring my friend (my future navigator in long runs).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sd-camp-4.html

My first step towards Raid De Himalaya 2011.
Old 7th March 2011, 23:44   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

AFAIK only metal cabin vehicles are allowed. There is no set clarity vis fibreglass shells.
Old 8th March 2011, 10:36   #23
Team-BHP Support

sudev, what about the gypsy hard top in stock form. Is the HT metal or fiberglass?
Old 8th March 2011, 12:29   #24
BHPian

I would be really happy if someone could answer a few questions i have about the raid:

Most important question: Is it being stupid to attempt the raid as your first rally?

1) Are co-drivers allowed or is it a system of driver+navigator?

2) On a scale of 10, what is the feasibility of completing the adventure trial on a stock MS hatchback like swift/ritz without major damage?

3) I understand that teams share service teams. Now for the adventure trial is it a necessary? Financing and logistics for something like this scare a first timer with no idea of the process.

alternatively,

4) is it really stupid to participate in the raid on a motorcycle if you have no motocross or rally experiences on motorcycle?

5) are there places in delhi which prepare motorcycles for the raid? Is too much preparation of bike (indian pulsar 220/180, apache 160 types) required, other than stripping off the unncessaries?

6) how does one prepare (as a rider) for the raid? Especially since there are fewer motorcycle events being held in north india?

7) are service teams used by motorcycles? If not, who carries the tyres in case of a puncture?

8) any links to motorcyclist blogs about their participation in the raid. I am surfing through the rally.co.in as well and trying to find out answers, but team bhp is my first home on the net.

thanks.

Last edited by manolin : 8th March 2011 at 12:37.
Old 8th March 2011, 12:49   #25
BHPian

@manolin: There is nothing wrong in attempting Raid as your first rally.

1) Co-Drivers or Navigator is the same thing in RDH, Co-Driver can drive.

2) Ritz Stock will complete 100% without any damage. If Alto can do and even Nano can do first three days and that upto Kaza, so any Indian car can do.

3) No need to get service etc. for Swift or Ritz, only carry some spares on board. e.g. Coolent, Engine Oil, Spark plugs, wires (Clutch, Brake, Accelerator) etc.
(I am not sure about extreme category but in adventure you will find all competitor helping each other, It will be like a long road trip with friends)

Rest question are about bikes, so no Idea.

Last edited by Passiontodrive : 8th March 2011 at 12:52. Reason: quick posting
Old 8th March 2011, 22:27   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
sudev, what about the gypsy hard top in stock form. Is the HT metal or fiberglass?
OE is fibreglass. But most of the competitors take standard Gypsy and modify the half cabin to metal top.
Old 9th March 2011, 01:56   #27
BHPian

Question: 4) is it really stupid to participate in the raid on a motorcycle if you have no motocross or rally experiences on motorcycle?

Ans. Totally. If you do not have experience, try adventure (in a car). The atmosphere itself can kill you. Make a normal trip to Ladakh if you are going there first time (on bike). Himalayas are different in the sense that they are the highest in the world. These mountains demand respect.

You have all summers to make a trip. The key word here is 'above 4000 mtrs'. Around this height, it is totally different from any where in the world. And that is one of the key elements that makes Raid, the toughest in the world.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 9th March 2011 at 01:59.
Old 9th March 2011, 08:57   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
Question: 4) is it really stupid to participate in the raid on a motorcycle if you have no motocross or rally experiences on motorcycle?

Ans. Totally. If you do not have experience, try adventure (in a car). The atmosphere itself can kill you. Make a normal trip to Ladakh if you are going there first time (on bike). Himalayas are different in the sense that they are the highest in the world. These mountains demand respect.

You have all summers to make a trip. The key word here is 'above 4000 mtrs'. Around this height, it is totally different from any where in the world. And that is one of the key elements that makes Raid, the toughest in the world.
I have been to leh before and have also spent a lot of time in and around manali. But I was never on a bike. What you say makes sense, except I am starting a new job this month, so leave in summers will be difficult. lets see. So I will have to take a cold call regarding car or bike. Car is worrisome for me, as (1) I would prefer to take a decently big car SUV types so that there is not too much damage on the trip, (2) arranging finances is problem, both for SUV and for incidental expenses of participating by car.
Old 10th March 2011, 03:43   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitku View Post
Whats ur plan Paras..?? Extreme or Adventure..?
Extreme all the way!!
Old 10th March 2011, 15:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
alternatively,

4) is it really stupid to participate in the raid on a motorcycle if you have no motocross or rally experiences on motorcycle?

5) are there places in delhi which prepare motorcycles for the raid? Is too much preparation of bike (indian pulsar 220/180, apache 160 types) required, other than stripping off the unncessaries?

6) how does one prepare (as a rider) for the raid? Especially since there are fewer motorcycle events being held in north india?

7) are service teams used by motorcycles? If not, who carries the tyres in case of a puncture?

8) any links to motorcyclist blogs about their participation in the raid. I am surfing through the rally.co.in as well and trying to find out answers, but team bhp is my first home on the net.

thanks.

For debuting in motorcycle you need to understand & maintain the terrain, as well as the preparations that go in! I would suggest that take tips from those who have already done the feat.

There is also a shorter duration called Alpine for first timers, who have less or no prior experience. I too debuted in a endurance rally with no experience & finished the event. I had pretty good knowledge about how to fix punctures & all sorts of repair. I did carry a lots of spares & tools, but it was one heavy luggage to race with. So try & get some shared service support from other riders, thats how most of them do it.

There is no way gaining experience other than by participating. So get all the necessary gears & go for it. Don't forget to get all the personal safety gear, otherwise you may repent later if some unwanted thing happens.

Check my thread on my first timer

Also about the riding gears.

I am insisting on these riding gears, because I had some nasty falls & without these gears am sure would have some major injury! So dont think twice on this!

Last edited by tantragna : 10th March 2011 at 15:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks