Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2011, 14:13   #31
BHPian

Re: Raid De Himalaya 2011

Hello,

I came across both the Desert Storm and Raid de Himalaya on team-bhp just recently. I am fascinated by both the events since I love driving. Couple of questions:

1) Can I participate with Xylo E8 in Adventure ?

2) My vehicle is only few months old. So will there be lot of wear and tear (external and internal) on the vehicle in both these rallies ?

3) Can I think about participating in RDH 2011 in the Adventure category and then in Desert Storm 2012 ? I am hoping I won't have to buy a new vehicle after both these events.

4) I have no repair knowledge about vehicles except changing tires. Although I can carry all spares, can I completely rely on the service teams to fix any thing during the rally ?

Thanks.
Old 14th March 2011, 08:30   #32
BHPian

Hello golfdude:

1) Yes, 100%. (Last year Chevrolet Cruze, Maruti SX4, Alto, Tata Nano, Scorpio, Maruti Esteem etc. participated)

2) No, not necessarily, if you drive with care and caution nothing like this will happen.

3) There is no need to buy new vehicle after both the events, these events will check reliability of your's as well as your vehicle's. I have seen number of participants driving Esteem (Maruti) 2002 to 2004 model in raid and on roads also.

4) Yes, the service team provided by HMA is fully trained and competent, they themselves will check the vehicle and replace the necessary parts, only concern is spares, if you are carrying them with you, there is no need to worry. Spares you need to carry are not like building a new car, these are basic spares e.g. coolent, spark plugs, wires, fuses etc.

Hope It cleared.
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:33   #33
BHPian

2nd Step: Just received my FMSCI Driver's License, will apply entrant license in April. As two licenses required for any rally one is individual driving license (for all passengers) and second is entrant license (to be applied by any member).

.:: The Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India ::.

This is the link for downloading forms etc.
Old 24th March 2011, 18:29   #34
BHPian

Hi Guys, I am interested in taking part in the Stock "Adventure" category of this rally.

Planning to take part in my 75k+ kms done Getz. Will it be a good idea?

What things should I take care while preparing the vehicle. Some of the things which come to my mind are -
1. Clutch - Overhauled at 65k kms. Hopefully no work required on this.
2. Brakes - New brake pads have been put up at 72.5k kms.
3. Suspension - Totally shot currently. Will get this done along with 2 inch spacers as allowed by the regulations.
4. Tyres - Will get them changed.
5. Timing Belt - Will get it changed along with the suspension work.
6. Belts - Will get all the belts changed as well as will keep two of each kind as spare.

Suggestions welcome.

Naman

Last edited by naman07 : 24th March 2011 at 18:31.
Old 25th March 2011, 09:57   #35

Hi, I just got a KENWOOD 8036 Installed in my fortuner with MAP MY INDIA Black Box/GPS Receiver.

My doubt is, will the GPS with the MAP MY INDIA maps cover the Raid De Himalaya route??
Old 26th March 2011, 11:39   #36
BHPian

@ passiontodrive:

i have sent you a pm if you are looking for a navigator for the upcoming RdH 2011.

Abbas.
Old 26th March 2011, 16:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboholic View Post
Hi Rajith, Soft top vehicle may not be allowed to compete, as per the FMSCI regulation ONLY vehicles with a hard top are allowed. Safety being the main concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
AFAIK only metal cabin vehicles are allowed. There is no set clarity vis fibreglass shells.
The 2010 Raid rulebook (2011 rulebook is not available as of now) for the Adventure category does not allow any soft top vehicles but a hard top with fiberglass is allowed.

This ideally means a stock Hard Top Gypsy will be eligible to participate in the Raid but a Soft top Gypsy will not be allowed !
Old 2nd April 2011, 12:02   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman07 View Post
Hi Guys, I am interested in taking part in the Stock "Adventure" category of this rally.

Naman
All Set Naman. You need only under body protection and that will be provided to you when you reach Shimla for the event. Nothing more is required.

Like you, I am also planning to participate with my Maruti 800 2006 Model with 1,10,000 kms done I know M800 is not tough enough for this kind of event. But I want to try. Again nothing is final, I am only thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepu9999 View Post
Hi, I just got a KENWOOD 8036 Installed in my fortuner with MAP MY INDIA Black Box/GPS Receiver.

My doubt is, will the GPS with the MAP MY INDIA maps cover the Raid De Himalaya route??
I guess no. Why you need GPS with maps, way points will be provided by RDH officials, for more info on this, search "SUDEV" on T-BHP, he will help you and guide you accordingly. Mr. Sudev has done PhD in GPS and its uses.

Guys early entries already started from 1st of April. It will get costly on 15th May, So make your minds hurry.

Last edited by Passiontodrive : 2nd April 2011 at 12:06.
Old 18th April 2011, 16:00   #39

it might sound out of place, but i dont know where else to post this. I'm interested in volunteering (mainly as a freelance photographer) and wanted to know how does one go about enrolling/signing up for it? Any help help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 18th April 2011, 19:03   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantroy View Post
it might sound out of place, but i dont know where else to post this. I'm interested in volunteering (mainly as a freelance photographer) and wanted to know how does one go about enrolling/signing up for it? Any help help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Please wait for some more time. Raid website will ask for volunteers, I guess around July. But for that you need a 4x4 (SUV).
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:32   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiontodrive View Post
Please wait for some more time. Raid website will ask for volunteers, I guess around July. But for that you need a 4x4 (SUV).
Do you have any idea what are the criterion RDH officials apply for selection of volunteers. SUV is not mandatory for all the duties I guess, the media coordinator teams don't need the SUVs.

We, a group of three friends had applied last year, but didn't hear a thing from the officials.
They had written you need to be adventurous. I had done Marsimik La on bike in 2008, Manali-Leh-Srinagar twice on bike, Sach pass last year on bike and have been trekking in Western Ghats on pretty regular basis. Have tried my hands at some rock climbing as well. Doesn't this qualify as adventure?

Cheers,

Yogi.
Old 22nd April 2011, 23:15   #42
BHPian

I think Media Co-ordination is a duty assigned to very senior officials. You need to be there for many years to be entrusted such a job.

Having a 4X4 is a qualifying factor. At least for the beginning.
Old 23rd April 2011, 13:08   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiraj View Post
Do you have any idea what are the criterion RDH officials apply for selection of volunteers. SUV is not mandatory for all the duties I guess, the media coordinator teams don't need the SUVs.

Yogi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
I think Media Co-ordination is a duty assigned to very senior officials. You need to be there for many years to be entrusted such a job.

+1 to wanderhermit. Having a 4X4 is a qualifying factor, It is very difficult to pass all the high altitude areas/passes without 4X4. I will try to use my links for you. Lets hope for the best. But please check Raid website on regular basis for forms etc.
Old 23rd April 2011, 14:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiontodrive View Post
+1 to wanderhermit. Having a 4X4 is a qualifying factor, It is very difficult to pass all the high altitude areas/passes without 4X4. I will try to use my links for you. Lets hope for the best. But please check Raid website on regular basis for forms etc.
I have just got myself a Getaway 4X4 and having done the Ladakh terrain, thinking of applying as volunteer. My truck has to see Ladakh this year, either thru RDH or thru personal trip. Let's see how lady luck shines.
Old 15th May 2011, 09:03   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post

One can participate even without an SUV. Since most officials travel in pairs in a vehicle, I am sure they can accomodate volunteers without vehicles as well. I had a friend volunteer at DS11 and he did not have a 4x4.

To be an official, one should have loads of patience, and passion. They have a harder time than the drivers at times, to be able to prepare the course for the drivers.

Most Viewed