Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2006, 10:46   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sad to see an American icon get under the axe. The Ford GT was more of an image - building exercise than anything else, and Ford needs an image spruce up BADLY!

GTO
Old 6th February 2006, 11:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day
which genius gave you that idea?

lets see lincoln owned by ford, came out with a brand new aviator, costed 51k brand new fully loaded, you know how much I can pick one up for in less than a year? Gues??

31k, yes a 40% depreciation..thats the halat of ford products, so dont be telling me they are making money, if they were they wouldnt be deamed junk and in big financial trouble..
as long as product sales why would any manufacturer have problem with depreciation??
besides bringing in money does not mean making big bucks.

PS: This is Ford GT topic, lets not hijkack it. If you want to have constructive argument open new topic
Old 6th February 2006, 15:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos
Sad that Ford is planning to shut the Ford GT, Lincoln LS and the Ford Explorer Sport Trac.

The Ford GT, in its small amount of life span currently remains one of the best looking car. Just drop dead gorgeous!!!

the ford gt was launched in 1962 (if i am not wrong), howcome it becomes a small life space ??
Old 6th February 2006, 15:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427
the ford gt was launched in 1962 (if i am not wrong), howcome it becomes a small life space ?? [/left]
You;re talking about the legendary GT40, we're talking about the relaunched GT that came in about 2 years ago?
Old 6th February 2006, 17:08   #20
BHPian

Its just sent a shock to all the memories i had with all the drooling i did with its videos and images that beast is still on my wallpaper i just loved that car and its killed :( sad news.
Old 6th February 2006, 21:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
as long as product sales why would any manufacturer have problem with depreciation??
besides bringing in money does not mean making big bucks.
You couldnt be serious?

oohh nooo you are serious
Old 7th February 2006, 00:57   #22
BHPian

It is sad to see the GT go. But it is not a surprise. If I remember correctly, when the GT was launched sometime back in 2003 they said that they only plan to produce a limited number. So it was already planned to be discontinued after a couple of model years.

I agree with what GTO said. I think this was more of an excercise for Ford to show the world that they can build a car to compete with Ferrari.

I think it is a good idea for Ford to focus their efforts on their bread and butter models in order to bring the company back to shape than maintain low volume runners like the GT. I thought the North American Ford Fusion is a good start for Ford to get back on track. But I don't see a lot of them on the road. I guess I was wrong.
Old 7th February 2006, 02:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsxei
It is sad to see the GT go. But it is not a surprise. If I remember correctly, when the GT was launched sometime back in 2003 they said that they only plan to produce a limited number. So it was already planned to be discontinued after a couple of model years.

I agree with what GTO said. I think this was more of an excercise for Ford to show the world that they can build a car to compete with Ferrari.

I think it is a good idea for Ford to focus their efforts on their bread and butter models in order to bring the company back to shape than maintain low volume runners like the GT. I thought the North American Ford Fusion is a good start for Ford to get back on track. But I don't see a lot of them on the road. I guess I was wrong.
For Ford to change people's mentality in America to buy american will require an enourmous effort, definetly more than just a fusion..the image for Ford has been spoilt or rather the image of japanese, german and korean brands have really gone up in comparison and people are preferring reliability and fuel economy based on past peformance.. so Ford would really really have to differenciate themselves..and its going to be hard as h3ll!!
Old 7th February 2006, 06:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day
For Ford to change people's mentality in America to buy american will require an enourmous effort, definetly more than just a fusion..the image for Ford has been spoilt or rather the image of japanese, german and korean brands have really gone up in comparison and people are preferring reliability and fuel economy based on past peformance.. so Ford would really really have to differenciate themselves..and its going to be hard as h3ll!!
That is true. The big 3 have a lot of work cut out for them in order to gain local trust back.
Old 7th February 2006, 07:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

All the people I met in US frankly, truly and seriously said just one thing.

the blue oval is too old and doesnt suit on the new cars. they need to change the logo and bring in some new technology.

Now that's not my opinion. this is the American Indian people speaking out.
Old 7th February 2006, 10:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

I think as a product excercise, the GT worked pretty well for Ford. It was a perfect 'halo' car.
I feel all companies should have at least one 'halo' car in a while to improve their image and lend credibility to their more utilitarian products.
Old 7th February 2006, 11:57   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That is true. The big 3 have a lot of work cut out for them in order to gain local trust back.
A huge reason behind the sales figures of the Big 3 is the financial incentive offered : 0% financing, rebates and blah blah blah.

Do you want people to buy your products only because of the price? What the Big 3 ought to do is make exciting / appealing cars. I think Chrysler is doing a darn good job of that.

GTO
Old 7th February 2006, 22:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I think Chrysler is doing a darn good job of that.
Products like the 300C (which started it all) and the Dodge Magnum, Charger and the upcoming Challenger are very exciting indeed. It is the first time that the DCX alliance has worked. But Chrysler must not rest on its laurels and continue to innovate, especially in the powerplant department. Same holds true for both Ford and GM.
Old 7th February 2006, 23:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
Products like the 300C (which started it all) and the Dodge Magnum, Charger and the upcoming Challenger are very exciting indeed. It is the first time that the DCX alliance has worked. But Chrysler must not rest on its laurels and continue to innovate, especially in the powerplant department. Same holds true for both Ford and GM.
The thing about chrysler is, that they have the technology and design from mercedes but their driving dynamics still hasnt improved...if you every drive these 300Cs and SRT-8s and Magnums you will feel let down and the interiors, dont let me get started on that..anyhow..

I think Ford needs to cont with its halo car image, may be the Shelby GR1 would see the light of day or something on similar lines..of ford doesnt do it..it would be a sad thing, they cant reply on mustang..i dont even consider it a sports car..very poor at everything except power and style..
Old 9th February 2006, 21:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Power and style are what 'stangs have always been about.

Ok, I have not driven a mustang ever. What I am going to say is based on what knowledge I have gained from magazines, Mustang books over a while:

The only Mustangs that ever displlayed handling prowess were the original '65-'66 Shleby GT350's, GT350R's and GT350H's, and the '70 Boss 302. And the Mustang SVO from the early eighties.
After customers complained of too raw a car, Carroll Shelby himself gave in and softened the cars for '67 and onwards. The Shelby Cobra Mustangs, which started out as raw racers, became more luxurious and soft.

And that was it. No magazine has praised the Mustang's handling since.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks