Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2011, 14:25   #16
MAS
Senior - BHPian

re: Steve Jobs got a new SL55 AMG every 6 months! Here's why..

Steve Jobs, a Moron? May be you know something more about him than we do, but for heaven's sake, he is dead now.

No one can be called a Moron for changing his car every 6 months.. Sorry, but you sound as though you had funded a part of the lease.

Last edited by MAS : 28th October 2011 at 14:27.
Old 28th October 2011, 15:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post

By the way, when he got a new Merc, what did he do with the one he was driving for 6 months before?
He never bought a merc every year, he just leased them. Almost like the leasing system merc is bringing to India. And the old one was given back to merc in return for a new merc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Well this Idiot part of the persona helped him change the following
- the way we communicate
- the way we work
- the way technology positively influences our life

And if I am not wrong this Idiot part of the persona made him one of the most influentially brilliant minds of the 20th Century.

Cheers,
ac
Jobs was one of the most influentially brilliant minds but not many heard of him in the 20th century. It was only in the 21st century that people started knowing him.

And Apple or Jobs never changed the way we communicate. In India I guess it was Nokia!

Its only in recent years that the Mac books have come into play. Before that it was the age of the assembled computers or HP and Compaq! This was when we changed the way we work.

And technology most times positively influenced our lives. Long before Apple and Jobs came to the front.
Old 28th October 2011, 15:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scphanse View Post
Guarding one's privacy??
It is. He drove the car without a number plate (license plate is the correct term).

He was always a Mercedes man. Kindly start a thread only when your research is complete.

The truth about Steve Jobs’ Mercedes’ missing license plate – MacDailyNews - Welcome Home

Why Steve Jobs’ Mercedes Never Had a License Plate | Cult of Mac
sandeepmdas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 15:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekhar_gogoi View Post

He never bought a merc every year, he just leased them. Almost like the leasing system merc is bringing to India. And the old one was given back to merc in return for a new merc!

Jobs was one of the most influentially brilliant minds but not many heard of him in the 20th century. It was only in the 21st century that people started knowing him.

And Apple or Jobs never changed the way we communicate. In India I guess it was Nokia!

Its only in recent years that the Mac books have come into play. Before that it was the age of the assembled computers or HP and Compaq! This was when we changed the way we work.

And technology most times positively influenced our lives. Long before Apple and Jobs came to the front.
I rest my case if I have to explain to you the brilliance of this one man called as Steven Paul Jobs.

cheers,
ac
Old 28th October 2011, 16:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I rest my case if I have to explain to you the brilliance of this one man called as Steven Paul Jobs.

cheers,
ac
go through the post and try to understand what i wrote. I never questioned the brilliance of Jobs. I respect that man for what he did. The way he changed Apple. I just questioned the 3 points he was said to have changed and have mentioned them properly.

What he actually did was create a new brand image for Apple and changed the way we viewed entertainment (Read the Ipod, be it the shuffle, mini or the video) and no one can take that away from him. Before i-pod we had these bulky sony walkman or the cd player. It is this very 'i' (interpret it as idea or i-pod) of his that every layman knows who he was.

And than the i-pad that had created a new segment of its own will most other companies running after it now. Not sure how much an impact it has made so won't comment on it. I have both the i-pad2 and the galaxy tab P-1000 (born out of the idea of i-pad) and they have had a impact on my life I'll admit to that.
Old 28th October 2011, 16:36   #21
BHPian

Privicy can't be it. Period! If both the un-numbered/un-registered cars (i.e. the incoming one as well as the outgoing one) were the same "silver" model, what changed? And if noting actually changed on the outwardly appearance of the car, was he protecting his privicy by having cars with different VIN's ...... Think!!
Old 28th October 2011, 16:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
go through the post and try to understand what i wrote. I never questioned the brilliance of Jobs. I respect that man for what he did. The way he changed Apple. I just questioned the 3 points he was said to have changed and have mentioned them properly.

What he actually did was create a new brand image for Apple and changed the way we viewed entertainment (Read the Ipod, be it the shuffle, mini or the video) and no one can take that away from him. Before i-pod we had these bulky sony walkman or the cd player. It is this very 'i' (interpret it as idea or i-pod) of his that every layman knows who he was.

And than the i-pad that had created a new segment of its own will most other companies running after it now. Not sure how much an impact it has made so won't comment on it. I have both the i-pad2 and the galaxy tab P-1000 (born out of the idea of i-pad) and they have had a impact on my life I'll admit to that.

He changed the following

- the way PCs work - everyone knows that the GUI of windows is a copy of the Apple OS - if it had not been for Him we still might have been working on a DOS like GUI.

- he changed the music industry - the undisputed king of online music today is itunes - itunes is just not about downloading music from your pc/laptop on your ipod/itouch/ipad..itunes is a platform which has a completely differed idea and a different thought.

- itunes is democratizing creativity

- as you said ipod/ipad/itouch - creating new categories : and what is surprising that even after 10 years of launch of the ipod, there is no close 2nd substitute to the ipod.

- the apple computers themselves - viz the apple towers, the iMacs, these machines were ages ahead of the nearest competitors

- his pixar studios - changed the way we see animation films - no longer animation films were for kids.

His stamp on us is much larger than we think it is.

cheers,
ac
Old 28th October 2011, 17:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:

He changed the following

- the way PCs work - everyone knows that the GUI of windows is a copy of the Apple OS - if it had not been for Him we still might have been working on a DOS like GUI.

- he changed the music industry - the undisputed king of online music today is itunes - itunes is just not about downloading music from your pc/laptop on your ipod/itouch/ipad..itunes is a platform which has a completely differed idea and a different thought.

- itunes is democratizing creativity

- as you said ipod/ipad/itouch - creating new categories : and what is surprising that even after 10 years of launch of the ipod, there is no close 2nd substitute to the ipod.

- the apple computers themselves - viz the apple towers, the iMacs, these machines were ages ahead of the nearest competitors

- his pixar studios - changed the way we see animation films - no longer animation films were for kids.

His stamp on us is much larger than we think it is.

cheers,
ac
I already mentioned i pod was a mini revolution of sorts. Nothing comes closer to the 'i', let alone a substitute. And nobody can say otherwise.
I have no idea about the pixar studios so wont comment on it.
About windows being a copy of iOS, I'ld say its taken from UNIX. Depends on how a programmer perceives it. But at the end of the day, to a layman Windows is what they know!! Not taking away any credit from Jobs, just stating the facts.

Cheers
Shekhar
Old 28th October 2011, 18:14   #24
BANNED

APOLOGIES FROM MY BEHALF. I DON'T BELIEVE HE BOUGHT A NEW CAR EVERY SIX MONTHS.

He leased it.

Guys, we're all entitled to our own opinion here. I honestly think he was a moron in doing that. I've seen tons of front engined sports cars in the U.S.A, and trust me, an SL55, unless it's cammed or the exhaust is modified , it won't attract too many eyes(in the U.S.) .

I think this license plate thing was just another one of the myriad ways Steve Jobs used to market Apple or represent himself. He wanted to create discussions like this. I think that was the intent of barcode on plates .

Any car with a license plate will attract less attention than any car with a barcode instead of a license plate . This is common sense.

And yes, I am not satisfied with the Apple products I own. Perhaps that swayed my opinion of him.

Yes he made the iPad , iPod, iPhone. But how is that for the good of humanity? We are talking about a guy here who is as much of a hardcore capitalist as D.Ambani or Rockefeller. As a fellow capitalist, I have no problems with that.

But some of you here are letting your image of Steve Jobs as the people's savior block any form of negativity. Hence I think we're all biased.

I don't deny it, Steve Jobs was a genius businessman and a man with superb marketing skills. But leasing a car every 6 months because you don't want a license plate? I think otherwise.

This thread is already way off-topic. Hopefully the mods lock it. Or this will turn into a Apple fan-boys VS. the others dispute.

Once again, he did not buy a car every 6 months(maybe he did?) but the source doesn't say that. Apologies for my blunder.
Old 28th October 2011, 18:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:

He changed the following

ac
Quote:
About windows being a copy of iOS, I'ld say its taken from UNIX. Depends on how a programmer perceives it. But at the end of the day, to a layman Windows is what they know!! Not taking away any credit from Jobs, just stating the facts.

Cheers
Shekhar
Actually Apple never invented GUI windows. It was first developed in Xerox and once Steve Jobs saw it, he kinda improvised on it. Agreed that Microsoft copied from Apple regarding Windows GUI.

Quote:

ac
Can you explain "what" was ahead? was it the "design" of the machine aspect or other "functionality" in the machines say like state of the art CPUs, memory etc?

Another point that you forgot to mention is the Steve Jobs contribution in typography.
Old 28th October 2011, 19:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Guys, we're all entitled to our own opinion here. I honestly think he was a moron in doing that.
Its HIS money, he earned it legitimately from customers.......... who incidently were delighted with his products/services (unlike Bill Gates)

Also he changed the car every 6 m.o because he respected the law and did not want break it.

So whats your problem??

How big a moron is Vijay Mallya or Mukesh Ambani (according to you) for blowing millions on yachts and houses.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 19:13   #27
BHPian

Ordinary mortals perceive geniuses as morons. Can't help with it since they hardly understand the way those people think.

Construction is damn difficult, destruction is way too easy :-)
Remember how twin towers was brought down in a matter of minutes, if not seconds. Even if we include the planning of that stupid act, it wouldn't have taken 1/100th of what it took to build those towers.

At the end of it all, it is easy for ordinary mortals to bring someone down than climbing up and reaching that level.
Old 28th October 2011, 19:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

I am not a an Apple fanboy, and I never liked his business antics either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
I've seen tons of front engined sports cars in the U.S.A, and trust me, an SL55, unless it's cammed or the exhaust is modified , it won't attract too many eyes(in the U.S.) .
That's not exactly correct. A Mercedes can bring unwanted (and in the following cases, unfortunate) attention:

The Petit murders, where 2 criminals followed a Mercedes to its home:
Horror in the Night - Murder, Personal Tragedy : People.com

The Ronnie Chasen murder, where the killer randomly shot her while she was waiting at a signal in an E350:
Ronni Chasen murder suspect Harold Smith shot himself and served 2 stints in jail | Mail Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
Actually Apple never invented GUI windows. It was first developed in Xerox and once Steve Jobs saw it, he kinda improvised on it. Agreed that Microsoft copied from Apple regarding Windows GUI.

That's it! When he saw it, he instantly realized that this is the way all computers should work in future. He discovered the potential.

Can you explain "what" was ahead? was it the "design" of the machine aspect or other "functionality" in the machines say like state of the art CPUs, memory etc?

Neither. What Apple did was, it killed the commands. In the 80s the IT-related people were feverishly learning commands for WordStar, DBase, 1-2-3 whatever. The more commands you know, the better you are.
Do you know the commands in WordStar (the most popular word-processing software for MS-DOS in the late 80's) for copy and paste? Here it is:
http://www.wordstar.org/index.php/wo...n-command-list

Another point that you forgot to mention is the Steve Jobs contribution in typography.

I guess you are talking about the TrueType etc. Well, the typography was originally designed by another small company, under the name PostScript and charged 1000s of $$$ for it. Mr.Jobs then licensed TrueImage, a PostScript-compatible page description language from Microsoft and assigned a team led by Mr. Sampo Kaasila to develop TrueType. This technology was then licensed back to MS. The small company then realized that it's now or never and slashed the licensing.

The name of the small company was Adobe.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 28th October 2011 at 19:37.
Old 28th October 2011, 19:43   #29
BHPian

@D33 PAC Dude like he cares about which car he drove! He was practically a rockstar of the Techworld! For him a car was a means of transportation from office to home and back.He did not need cars to show off! He laments in his bio about how he could not spend time with his family,do you really think he would interested in a mere CAR? Leave him alone.It does not mean if you are not a petrolhead you are a moron...Please!
Ascari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 19:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Lets just say he was a little eccentric. Nothing wrong that that, is there?

But one more thing:
Although its still legal to drive w/o plate for 6 months....... its not within the spirit of the law to use a barcode when the state trooper does not have a barcode scanner. But he is Steve Jobs and if the CHP is OK with then, then why are we complaining?

On that note, LETS CLOSE THE THREAD.

Last edited by Mpower : 28th October 2011 at 19:51.
Mpower is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks