Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2006, 01:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

UK Registration, whats required?

Hi, If I am wanting to register a car in UK that I buy there, what all is required? I am thinking of all things that I can do when I come back to India. I am in US, but ofcourse can own a car in UK for 6 months and import it back to india after 6 months of my arrival , agreed the car would be 1 yr old, but who cares when you save 80% on the cost...

thanks..
Old 24th March 2006, 01:39   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

1Day- Let me in on this deal once u get more info off it. I am studying in the US and graduating next year...Am i eligible for this thing..its TR?
Old 24th March 2006, 01:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is EXACTLY the thread I kinda started yesterday. I want to take a good car to India from the UK and save a bunch on duty. HOW HOW HOW?!
Old 24th March 2006, 02:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniguchisan
This is EXACTLY the thread I kinda started yesterday. I want to take a good car to India from the UK and save a bunch on duty. HOW HOW HOW?!
See I sort of know the background, that you can get the car in , no duty, it needs to be registered under your name for atleast 1 yrs prior to bringing the car in and you can bring a car 6 months after you come, so basically you could buy one 6 months before you leave and give the next 6 months while you in india for the whole importing process...but for this the car needs to be registered in your name, now what do i need to do to registration the car on my name in UK?

aniguchisan you from UK, can you tell me that? then the rest about importing i can find out from dad..he will know someone who can do the whole process...all you need to do is hire an agent, may be give me 1-2% or something and be done with it..

Last edited by 1Day : 24th March 2006 at 02:12.
Old 24th March 2006, 02:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

1Day...How can u import it in the UK when u have be residing in the US? U can probably get a TR from the country that u hv been in not any other.
Old 24th March 2006, 02:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
1Day...How can u import it in the UK when u have be residing in the US? U can probably get a TR from the country that u hv been in not any other.
Why should that be, if I am a business man, i would be living and doing business in many countries, if I have been able to register a car in a country means there is some way I lived there? Just wondering, thats why i want to know how can I register a car in UK? what all is required? Like in US you need SSN, so officially have to be on a valid work/student visa or a greencard holder..

other than that then we can only bring a handful of cars that can be converted in UK, i was thinking of the Z06 or the hummer or an infiniti FX45 or something, which can easily be converted, other than these cars we cant bring anything else from US..oh this stupid RHD only rule, i think its just asine..and stupid..

Last edited by 1Day : 24th March 2006 at 02:38.
Old 24th March 2006, 02:39   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Ya but importing from the US is pointless coz they dont have RHD.... or maybe they can get a RHD on special order.
Old 24th March 2006, 02:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

I am thinking of buying a LHD Corvette Z06 and then have it ship to UK to http://www.intercep.co.uk/news1.htm and have them convert it RHD..they do a mirror image, they did sunil shetty's H2 as well...and then bring it down..so 6-7 months of owner ship in US, shipped to UK for modifications, I assume 2-3 months there and 2-3 months of testing there and then ship it to india...this way i will have the car i want in india..but then again you can only do this to few cars..corvette being one of them and then hummer and some other ford and chevy trucks..

But i was looking for UK registration, that way for similar money i could keep a 360 or something there and then bring it down with me, you know something that i want and cant get converted..

Last edited by 1Day : 24th March 2006 at 03:00.
Old 24th March 2006, 03:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Anyway all the information you need can be found at : http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/vehicle.htm

Last edited by bigman : 24th March 2006 at 03:01.
Old 24th March 2006, 03:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

either new or used, that depends on what i want and if i can afford it new or used..

so you dont have to have a drivers license in UK to register a car?

like in US a car is linked to a DL of a person but is it not so in UK?

Thanks by link btw..does the house have to be on my name? how do I prove i live there??

Last edited by 1Day : 24th March 2006 at 03:04.
Old 24th March 2006, 03:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

No the house does not have to be on your name. If you are renting a place (or living with friends/relatives) in the UK then just get a few bills in your name eg telephone, electric, gas and maybe open a bank account so you get a monthly bank statement. You can also use your passport as photo ID. If you are thinking about buying new then just email one of the importers and ask what specific documents are required.

The car is not linked to your driving license. The car has a registration document which has your name on it as the owner and I think it has the date when the car was registered to you.

I know in the past you did not have to have a drivers license to register a car. You can always get one of those International Driving Permits and use that if needed. I have bought used cars at auctions in the past and never shown them anything. They note down your details (verbally will do no need to show proofs) and send the necessary tear off form to the DVLA and give you the other bits of the registration document. A week or so later the registration documents will be sent through the post to your address.

Last edited by bigman : 24th March 2006 at 03:15.
Old 24th March 2006, 03:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
No the house does not have to be on your name. If you are renting a place (or living with friends/relatives) in the UK then just get a few bills in your name eg telephone, electric, gas and maybe open a bank account so you get a monthly bank statement. You can also use your passport as photo ID. If you are thinking about buying new then just email one of the importers and ask what specific documents are required.

The car is not linked to your driving license. The car has a registration document which has your name on it as the owner and I think it has the date when the car was registered to you.

I know in the past you did not have to have a drivers license to register a car. You can always get one of those International Driving Permits and use that if needed. I have bought used cars at auctions in the past and never shown them anything. They note down your details (verbally will do no need to show proofs) and send the necessary tear off form to the DVLA and give you the other bits of the registration document. A week or so later the registration documents will be sent through the post to your address.

I see...after i read the website, i got the same information out..thanks this was helpful and gives me more hope, I have my best friend who has a house there, I can easily get a utility bill in my name and then register using my indian passport or an international driving license..

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK REG DOC REQUIRED
Documents Required
In order to licence and register your vehicle using V55/4 or V55/5 you must provide, along with your application, either your DVLA photocard driving licence or one original document from each of the lists below. Copies are unacceptable.

Documentation confirming your name
Current DVLA paper driving licence,
UK/EU or foreign passport,
Marriage certificate
Decree nisi/absolute Birth Certificate
Birth certificate.

Documentation confirming your address
Utility Bill valid within the last 3 months -gas, electricity, water, landline telephone,
Bank/Building Society statement valid within the last 3 months,
Medical Card,
Council tax bill for current year.
Also since you have been doing this, is there anyway of proving this car was registered under you name for 1 yr if it infact was bought used(1 yr old) from another person..i know this is not legal but just asking, you might know few tricks in UK, i know in india all this can be done..so just wondering..This is what most imported car dealers in india were doing, buying cars from UK/japanese auctions lightly used and then bringing them back either on TR or something else??

Last edited by 1Day : 24th March 2006 at 03:29.
Old 24th March 2006, 03:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Short of faking a registration document it is pretty hard to mess with the vehicle registration documents. The DVLA is a centralised agency that handles all vehicle registration documents. It would be very hard to "backdate" ownership.
Old 24th March 2006, 03:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

See this happens to be my fall back plan if infact i can bring 2 cars, 1 under my name and 1 under my wife's name...

I want the Z06 to be brought into india and I had calculated its expense approx and it comes out to...

70k for the car
10k for interior mods
10k for performance mods
5k for new wheels and tire
5k for shipping to UK and then following to india
25-35k for conversion
= about 125-135k

Now at this price i wouldnt even get a porsche 911 forget an S and this would eat any porsche alive..and look different and cool at the same time.. so this was my plan now lets see if i can bring another one over from UK...may be a sedan or something..

Last edited by 1Day : 24th March 2006 at 03:37.
Old 24th March 2006, 03:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
Short of faking a registration document it is pretty hard to mess with the vehicle registration documents. The DVLA is a centralised agency that handles all vehicle registration documents. It would be very hard to "backdate" ownership.
Yeah thats true, how do the customs guys in india check if the docs are in order? do they actually go through the car IDs(VIN / Serial# etc) and use a computer to check the reg against in the country of ownership or they look at the doc in hand and say ok??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks