Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2006, 13:45   #16
BHPian

So Bugati Veyron is outplaced? Well well..
Old 7th April 2006, 14:39   #17
Ram
Senior - BHPian

The legendary Cobra

The Cobra was a dangerously over-powered spider.

After an AC Cobra was caught doing 196 mph (315 km/h),
the UK imposed a 75 mph (121 km/h) speed limit on their motorways.

The original ancestor of this car, was the AC Ace: a British car with a 1971 cc, 135-bhp BMW-derived straight-six engine purchased from Bristol Motors, another British brand of the 1960s.

When Bristol discontinued their copied BMW engine, the famous American Texas cowboy and racing driver, Carroll Shelby offered to engineer a small-block 289 (4.2-litre) V8 from the Ford Falcon into the AC Ace car. So AC shipped their bodies to Shelby American, outside the Los Angeles airport.

Shelby named the car "Cobra", a name he was obsessed with.
Shelby's logo has always had a stylized serpent.

Carroll Shelby is called the father of American high-performance automobiles.

The 289-engined Shelby Cobra was the fastest car on Earth and Shelby's engineers started to make them even faster. They won the FIA Manufacturers Grand Touring World Championship in 1965, the only American car company to ever do so, beating Ferraris hollow!

Shelby's good friend Lee Iacocca headed Ford.
In 1964, Iacocca got Shelby to do the same engine and mods trick on the Ford Mustang.
The Mustangs were shipped engineless and bonnetless to Shelby American Co., California.
Those became the Shelby Cobra GT-350 and Shelby Cobra GT-500.
Unofficially they're better known as Shelby Mustangs and did wonders for the Mustang brand.

In 1969 Carroll and Ford went their separate ways. Shelby became a fast-food joint in Texas.

Much later Henry Ford II sacked Lee Iacocca from Ford.
Iacocca joined Chrysler Corp. as Chairman.
He got his old friend Shelby to mod-up the Dodge "Shelby" Charger and the 7,990 cc, 10-cylinder Dodge Viper RT/10.

But Shelby is most famous for engineering his big-block 427-cid (6,997 cc) Ford powered AC Cobra.

A massive number of companies make Cobra-replicas and Weineck, Germany is one of'em albeit a good one. Now this thread talks about a Weineck, Germany built, Cobra replica with a 12.9-litre V8!

Carroll Shelby is now 80-years old.
He still designs and engineers specialty and high-performance cars at Carroll Shelby International.

Check out their latest, Shelby CS 6 Mustang. It boasts of over 350 bhp.
Its V-6 engine is supercharged by a race-proven Paxton NOVI-1200 centrifugal supercharger.
There's a pic at http://www.shelbyamerican.com/galler...lue47-1024.jpg
Didn't want to violate their terms of use, so didn't insert the pic.

Carroll Shelby also still manufactures the Shelby Cobra, the legendary sports car that made him famous over 40 years ago.
Old 7th April 2006, 15:08   #18
BHPian

it should not be called a car..............
it should be called a Monster...
Old 7th April 2006, 18:08   #19
BHPian

Maverick was right ram...you are one of the most knowledgable about cars...what a piece of info man...thank you...
Old 7th April 2006, 19:55   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
This cannot be considered competition. It is a caricature at best, thats all I have to say.

Call the CCX competition, and then I'll say you are absolutely right.
My comment was in respect to the HP of this car (in that sense it definitely is a competition)... would love to see both cars on the drag strip doing the quarter mile.... and since it is supposed to be in production (15 units) it cannot be characterized as a caricature... its not conceptual anymore.
Old 7th April 2006, 20:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR
OH...and i am assuming we are talking about stock production cars...so this in my opinion is one of the fastest... (a bored RB26 motor pumps it up to 2.8 lts...with a humble output of roughly over 500bhp...more than enough with the high tech ATTESA 4wd system...the GTR's made thier mark in the world by being the quickest production cars around the nurburgring track and finshed a lap under 8 mins...and the best bit was (is) it's still affordable !!!!
you talking the Z tune, well its an awesome car, but there are current production models faster than it..the Z tune GTR did the ring in about 7:52 if i am not mistaken and that too it was not official, now i would love to see a nice Z tune 2008 GTR pumping atleast 600+ hp with weight at about 3100lb or so...that would be a car to get and not have nismo just make 20 of these..atleast make like 500 a year or so, so that people can enjoy it..

i am on the list for the next GTR here..hope its all that and more...it would look good next to my soon to be Z06 in 07..

Last edited by 1Day : 7th April 2006 at 20:37.
Old 7th April 2006, 21:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day

i am on the list for the next GTR here..hope its all that and more...it would look good next to my soon to be Z06 in 07..

Dude, you have a CORVETTE which, by itself, is something not many people can say. Enjoy yourself, we'll see about that Z06 later, eh? lol
Old 8th April 2006, 00:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
Dude, you have a CORVETTE which, by itself, is something not many people can say. Enjoy yourself, we'll see about t hat Z06 later, eh? lol
Haha I was on the list for the Z06 and that was going to be my car, but the #%$*ing dealer screwed me over and started asking for 15k over the MSRP, since people were coming to him and offering him that much, so i showed him the middle finger and got myself a regular C6 until the market cools down and i can get a Z06 at MSRP...

I am not saying i am not content, but ... but you can never have enough cars and you can never have a fast enough car as well
Old 8th April 2006, 08:53   #24
BHPian

Get in line 1 Day..hahahah...they would be a lot more expensive in The US..you guys are already paying over $80000 bucks US for a R34, while we only pay about $50000 for a decent V spec GTR...Aussie exporters make a lot of money of you guys y know..get the car from Japan..ship it to the US..

But the new GTR (R35's) has lost that Thuggish look that ppl loved them for..i mean it was one those cars that a baddy would have...know what i mean..check out my GTO in the intro section...cheers..
Old 8th April 2006, 09:02   #25
BHPian

And sticking to the topic...why not rate the most powerful street legal car in terms of a true measure - power to weight ratios.....i bet this would change things around...

my vote would go to some oldies..

a lancia stratos (1500 units i guess) or may be a ford RS200 (600 units)

unfortunately, both these cars were sort of widow makers..overpowered and hard to handle..
Old 8th April 2006, 09:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR
Get in line 1 Day..hahahah...they would be a lot more expensive in The US..you guys are already paying over $80000 bucks US for a R34, while we only pay about $50000 for a decent V spec GTR...Aussie exporters make a lot of money of you guys y know..get the car from Japan..ship it to the US..

But the new GTR (R35's) has lost that Thuggish look that ppl loved them for..i mean it was one those cars that a baddy would have...know what i mean..check out my GTO in the intro section...cheers..
Yeah thats unfortunate, but this time it wouldnt be since it will officially be sold in the US. The car is being made for US(primarily). If you see carlos recognised US as the biggest market for the GTR and wants to bring it in using the infiniti brand...the dealer from whom i bought my G35 has me on top of the list for the GTR, he is hoping it is going to be around 70k and i am hoping it is under that..but around that i would be ok but more than that..forget it..the price would be the same worldwide, infact if you see the cars in US are infact cheaper than europe, even the european made cars are cheaper here...

anyhow..lets see how it does..

OT: btw i noticed you like watches too.. i havent found one on the forum who is interested in cars as well as fine watches..i love watches myself..at one time i had spent more time with watches than with cars(was deranged) but thats my 2nd passion..after cars...

Last edited by 1Day : 8th April 2006 at 09:07.
Old 20th June 2008, 12:03   #27
BHPian

Germans make 0-300 in 10sec car

Note from Mod - Threads merged. Please use the SEARCH feature before creating a new thread.

i dont know whether ya'll know it or not
but there is a car that can do 0-300 in 10 seconds !!!
i dont know how far it is true !!! But i found it on the net a few days back
its called the
Weineck Cobra 780
it reportedly has 12.9L engine !!
1100BHP @ 7000 rpm
and 1760 nm of torque !!!!

we gotta wait till some one posts some video on youtube !
Attached Thumbnails
The World's Most Powerful Street Legal Car-2006_weineck_cobra780cuilimitededition1.jpg  

The World's Most Powerful Street Legal Car-2006_weineck_cobra780cuilimitededition4.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st June 2008 at 02:13. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 20th June 2008, 12:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Wow ! But the air vent louvres are quite a height on the bonnet. I wonder will the driver be able to see the road though its not in line with the driver's seat.
Old 20th June 2008, 12:53   #29
BHPian

american muscle tought not much of the original engine is retained.

also all this while n.a.
Old 20th June 2008, 14:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

source Google search

Note from TBHP Support: Please avoid using color tags

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th June 2008 at 14:31. Reason: Color tags

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks