Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2012, 21:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving the Jaguar XFR & XJ 5.0L Supercharged V8 at Nürburgring and the Autobahn

Dayyum! I am brimming with envy!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience mate.

Btw, those 'Taxi's sticker aren't there for Fun. Jag has announced XJ-SS to join the F10 M5 as the Ring Taxi.

Article
Attached Thumbnails
Driving the Jaguar XFR & XJ 5.0L Supercharged V8 at Nürburgring and the Autobahn-14342895372105946833.jpg  

Driving the Jaguar XFR & XJ 5.0L Supercharged V8 at Nürburgring and the Autobahn-39312502477169066.jpg  

Driving the Jaguar XFR & XJ 5.0L Supercharged V8 at Nürburgring and the Autobahn-402999421690328264.jpg  

Driving the Jaguar XFR & XJ 5.0L Supercharged V8 at Nürburgring and the Autobahn-1939794954170345120.jpg  

Driving the Jaguar XFR & XJ 5.0L Supercharged V8 at Nürburgring and the Autobahn-7245742121621623145.jpg  

Driving the Jaguar XFR & XJ 5.0L Supercharged V8 at Nürburgring and the Autobahn-12677860071838173876.jpg  

Driving the Jaguar XFR & XJ 5.0L Supercharged V8 at Nürburgring and the Autobahn-16333808101993917862.jpg  

Driving the Jaguar XFR & XJ 5.0L Supercharged V8 at Nürburgring and the Autobahn-1834199264402083171.jpg  

Scorcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 21:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving the Jaguar XFR & XJ 5.0L Supercharged V8 at Nürburgring and the Autobahn

Damm how I envy you man! The XJ makes the German luxury saloons look like wimps! Fabulous report again.
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Wow! The Ring!

And I chose that smiley only for its color.

Great report again, khan_sultan. These kind of stuff make the stories for grandchildren.

I bet u close your eyes still and go back onto some of those corners.

Did you go back again onto the track in a different car?
Old 23rd May 2012, 13:44   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
..Btw, those 'Taxi's sticker aren't there for Fun. Jag has announced XJ-SS to join the F10 M5 as the Ring Taxi.
Yeah, I should have elaborated more on that. What I meant was that the "Paper Sticker" instead of a proper stickering job like how the BMW folks had done on their version of the TAXI.

A ride in that TAXI is something else -- especially when you have a pro-driver who knows the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
... The XJ makes the German luxury saloons look like wimps!.
In a way yes. Jaguar design & styling is a notch above the german brands, is more flamboyant and appeals to the emotional side of human beings also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
..I bet u close your eyes still and go back onto some of those corners.

Did you go back again onto the track in a different car?
Yeah, can visualize the corners and feel the excitement. After our first turn or 3 laps at the track I opted to take a hot lap in the XJ-Taxi and that took some time. By the time we came back from the hot lap it was raining heavily so let it pass.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Excellent write-up Khan saab, stuff that dreams are made of! Kudos to Team-bhp for turning such dreams into reality. Enjoyed reading all the 3 threads thoroughly and this one was definitely the icing on the cake!
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:12   #21

Excellent writeup and pictures. Must have been a life time moment, Khan. Kudos and thanks for sharing. BTW, what was the speed limit in the track? Apart from the wind noise inside cabin, how well did the Jag behave in the track?
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:49   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedismail View Post
...It's always good to see something new hitting our shores, in this case the XJ-Ultimate. Are those standard wheels which are on the car ? Those wheels are amazing
Yes, those wheels are exclusive to the XJ-Ultimate version. They really look HOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Khan...I cannot believe you didn't think to pack a GoPro or even a Flip camera or something. I had a crappy camera on my first trip to the ring and in-car footage is insanely good fun to watch.

Thanks for sharing and getting my heart-rate and appetite up for another trip back to the 'Ring!
I know. Mistakes happen and this is something I will kick myself for, rest of my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S. View Post
.. BTW, what was the speed limit in the track? Apart from the wind noise inside cabin, how well did the Jag behave in the track?
When the track is used for private use, then there is no speed limit. The limits is in place only on 'open weekends'.

The wind noise in the XJ is only above 150 KMPH or so. Till that it is pin drop silence except for the acoustic growl of the supercharged V8 to give you company.

On track the aluminum chassis & body of the XJ really comes into play and the stiffness of the same allows it to take corners in a really planted manner. Not for a moment, when you throw it in corners, you feel nervous or feel the car to be not stable. The lightweight structure also allows it to be nimble for it's size.
khan_sultan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 17:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Splendid thread Khan saab. Driving on the track is definitely tons of fun and doing so on the 'ring is an auto enthusiast's wet dream.

I can imagine your excitement. Glad you enjoyed the experience and I'm sure it'll be fresh in your memory for a long time.

This one is on my bucket list. Ride or drive, doesn't matter but it needs to be struck off one day

Thanks for sharing.
Old 24th May 2012, 18:54   #24
BHPian

Amazing pics and great writeup. Lucky guys I must say. Have only seen or heard about the Nurburgring on television through shows like Top gear but never had anyone actually go there and drive such a classy car. Feels great to read the experience itself. Hope Tbhp is a part of many such events in future as well
Old 25th May 2012, 02:17   #25
BHPian

Khan Sahab. What an opportunity. You are like the luckiest man on planet Earth. What an experience it would have been.
Crazy off roading with the Land Rovers and Range Rovers
A visit to the place where the beauties are born
and then
Driving the Jaguar XFR & XJ 5.0L Supercharged V8 at "The Ring"
Superb!!
Old 25th May 2012, 09:19   #26
BHPian

This is awesome.
This is technically the first Jaguar XJ test drive in Team-Bhp I think.
But nonetheless brilliant experience to share.
Old 25th May 2012, 12:34   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Jaguar uses a Hunter Wheel Aligner at their 'Ring testing centre! :P

Khan, you have really lived the dream of all petrolheads the world over. A closed 'Ring and an XKR! What more could you want!
Old 25th May 2012, 15:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Great write up Khan! Loved it. What did u pay to enjoy this experience?

Im very intrigued about the XJ Ultimate with a V6 supercharged engine. Did u get to drive it?
Old 29th May 2012, 14:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Khan...I cannot believe you didn't think to pack a GoPro or even a Flip camera or something. I had a crappy camera on my first trip to the ring and in-car footage is insanely good fun to watch.

Thanks for sharing and getting my heart-rate and appetite up for another trip back to the 'Ring!

I am sure this time around we will shell out some extra money and rent a porsche or one of the M powered cars.

I wonder if the rental car's insurance is valid on the ring considering its a public toll road.
Old 30th May 2012, 15:03   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
I am sure this time around we will shell out some extra money and rent a porsche or one of the M powered cars.

I wonder if the rental car's insurance is valid on the ring considering its a public toll road.
Im sorry to say, but the normal car rentals like Sixt, Europcar do not allow hirer to take hired cars on the track, not even on the "open to public toll road" day. There is a possibility that the rental companies have sources around track, because they come to know that you have been to the track. And then they can confirm it by tracking the GPS. Finally you endup in being blacklisted by the rental company across the world!

You can hire track prepared cars form places around the Ring which are also race insured. The staff gives you lessons about DOs and DONTs and sometimes also a familiarisation lap. They are a bit xpensive though! Ranges from Suzuki Swift to something like 911 GT3 RS

Thank you Khan_Sultan. What an experience it would have been! Closed track and XFR with Formula 1,2,3 drivers! You lived a moment of a lifetime! I too, somehow envy you!

Last edited by LP640 : 30th May 2012 at 15:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks