Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 19:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover

Loved the new Range Rover.It has a very British look, kind of the stiff upper lip with a lot of refinement and class. The lines are boxy in a very nice kind of way. The tires, I thought, were very low profile for a SUV.
Old 29th September 2012, 04:51   #17
BHPian

Thanks Mobike.

The Red Jag looks delicious. They could use with a more distinctive front,though. The
proportions are beautiful. So is the rear end.

I will leave the opinion on the Range Rover to others. SUVs are not cup of my tea unless it's an early '90s Nissan Patrol. This one looks just like the older model to me.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 10:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
The All-New Range Rover Premier at the Paris Motor Show

The 4th generation Range Rover was also unveiled at this show. However, it got completely overshadowed as everyone's focus was on the F-type.

From my interaction with Mr. Gerry McGovern (Design Director, Land Rover):

Facts and Figures
  • The 4th gen Range Rover is a massive 420 kg lighter, because it's made entirely of aluminium and is the world's 1st aluminium SUV with a monocoque construction. The body shell is built at the Land Rover Solihull plant in a brand-new facility.
  • It is 10% more aerodynamic than before, with a co-efficient drag factor of 0.34.
  • According to Gerry, every 100 kg saved in vehicle mass saves around 2% fuel consumption.
Amazing pics and superb report concentrating only on two products in a thread.

The Range Rover have re-established itself with an air of aristocracy than can seldom be mimiced by any.

I was surprised to learn that 420Kg reduction is going to result only in 8.8% more efficiency. I was expecting atleast a 15+% .
maxbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 10:52   #19
BHPian

The F-type looks good, not gorgeous. It has a big mouth, I would have loved it if the rear tail light design(Leopard eyes) was there in the front head lamps and the front head light design was used for rear tail lights. Bumper should be more linear, more meaner instead of that slight curvy thing.

And what to say about RR, its sublime, like something which appears to be awe-inspiring in the fist look but the more you look at it, the more you feel that its not-so-remarkable after all, like reading Shakespeare. Not remarkable, the previous ones were more masculine. Why do I get the feeling that LR/JAG have more females in their design teams.
Old 29th September 2012, 12:21   #20
BHPian

Love the look of the new Jag , esp those tail lamps and rear wheel arches
Old 30th September 2012, 11:17   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
Thanks for the coverage.
Looks like the F type rear got inspired from Evoque theme, i'm not complaining, it looks good
This was the first question that I and other people from the media asked Ian Callum ( Design Director of Jaguar) but, he was emphatic he got inspired by the E-type Jaguar.

However, me and lot of other people felt the rear lamps has an uncanny resemblance to Evoque's tail lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
Range Rover - They retained the boxy looks, remains as my favourite SUV.
I think retaining the boxy looks was a great idea because the moment you play around with the main structure of the vehicle, everything else needs to be changed.

Quickest way to identify the 4th Gen RR is as follows :-
  • Vents below the A-Pillar is totally different
  • Front grille is totally different
  • Fog Lamp area is altogether new
  • Passenger side dashboard doesnt have the Range Rover embossed on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
please do report on things other than JLR as well!
Ofcourse, Please be prepared to see a lot of pictures from the Motor Show where I tried to cover as many stalls as that was possible during my short trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameer_Gupta View Post
Although some how I am not a fan of these retractable Soft rooftops. Just feel that when you pull up the roof the soft rooftop spoils the looks of the car.
Actually in flesh when the soft top retracts it sits neatly behind the seats and looks great. Since its black in color, looks great in contrast with other colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
What i am especially interested in a seat of the pants experience in one of those cars.
Except viewing it in close quarters and sitting in driver's seat, nobody was allowed for a test drive as that was not the purpose of this event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Same here, waiting for the details and photographs.
There are a few videos ( huge size) that will come up in next few days and lots of pictures. Do stay tuned to the thread to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Attaboy, Avi----what splendid pics! Did you get a chance to drive any of the Jags or Land Rovers?
Thanks Venu. As mentioned above, nobody got a chance to drive. But, did enjoy rides as a passenger in XJL, XF, XFR, Disco, RR Evoque

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
The tires, I thought, were very low profile for a SUV.
Nice observation. And, Even I thought so but, forgot to ask them.

You will find most of the other car pictures that were displayed at the show have such tyres. I presume they use a wider & lower profile tyres to fill the arches nicely for such events. I could be wrong in my assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
The Red Jag looks delicious. They could use with a more distinctive front,though. The proportions are beautiful. So is the rear end.
Even I loved how the red Jag looked. Best color for the F-type from the colors showcased (Greyish Blue, Red and Black)

Agree with you, the front end and the subtle grille are its weakest design aspects.

During my conversation with Ian Callum, asked him ; Why Red color? Is it synonmous that sports car needs to come in Red.

His answer was simple : His favorite color is red and he too likes the F-type the best in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Amazing pics and superb report concentrating only on two products in a thread
Thanks. Your right the primary concentration for this report was the much awaited F-Type Jaguar and it was a suprise to note after I reached there that even the All New RR too was being premiered at the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiatanic View Post
Why do I get the feeling that LR/JAG have more females in their design teams.
I am sure Ian Callum would have at this point

During the unveiling event at Musee Rodin, against the magnificient backdrop of the meusem two glorious cars were on display.

Jaguar E-Type or XKE 1961 Model ( 3.8 Litre Engine). This was the inspiration to the F-Type

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0310.jpg

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0311.jpg

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0313.jpg

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0315.jpg

Jaguar SS 100, 1938 Model ( 2.5 Litre Engine)

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0309.jpg

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0312.jpg

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0316.jpg

Below is a short video of the first few moments of F-Type unveil

Do expect a few more videos to come up asides to some pictures from the press conference launch that will come up in the next post.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 12:06   #22
BHPian

Great report, Avi.

The F-Type looks quite good, not really sharp though. I also find the styling que to be not really unique, although it gels well. The rear tail-light treatment is quite good.

The the front-end changes to the Range Rover is done quite well, probably like other manufactures JLR is also trying to get into a family look for its models. Was never a fan of the rear portion (C Pillar onwards) of a RR. I find it little out of place with the rest of the car design.

Look to catch up and take a lowdown on the trip in person.

Cheers,
Ardy
Ardy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 14:17   #23
BHPian

aaaah that old E-type. Glorious.

Great write-up Avi. Looks like you had a blast.
G_AmbyMad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 14:39   #24
BHPian

Great start to a great thread. I am all glued to what you have to offer. Eagerly awaiting for the pics and your discussion with the Jag Guys. Keep us posted.
traveloholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 14:48   #25
Team-BHP Support

^^ What he said.

Also, I really like the new F-Type. If priced correctly, and it should be, it would make a great alternative to the Z4 / Boxster. I really like the way it looks. It's got trademark Jag design elements while embracing the classic-roadster silhouette.

We need some of the big-wigs to try this car out and give us some good video reviews. Chris Harris, TG, Tiff, are you'll listening?

Great report Mobike. Can't wait for this thread to be updated with more on the visit.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 14:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sharing this report straight from Paris!
An active rear spoiler (to reduce lift up to 120 kg).
First of all, thanks a ton!

Sorry to nitpick, are you sure about the lift value (unit) ? Lift is a force and why is it in terms of mass or a non-directional scalar unit? lift is a vector(has a direction and value to it!)
Old 30th September 2012, 18:31   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
The F-Type looks quite good, not really sharp though. I also find the styling que to be not really unique, although it gels well. The rear tail-light treatment is quite good.
Yeah, it looks rather good in person. It's not outrageous in style like a Veyron, Ferrari or Lambo but, has the typical british flair which is understated, subtle yet very striking

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Also, I really like the new F-Type. If priced correctly, and it should be, it would make a great alternative to the Z4 / Boxster.
The pricing during the press conference was mentioned as starting from GBP 58,500. If i recall correctly, during one of the discussions it was mentioned it will be priced above BMW Z4 and below a Boxter. Not really sure about this one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Sorry to nitpick, are you sure about the lift value (unit) ? Lift is a force and why is it in terms of mass or a non-directional scalar unit? lift is a vector(has a direction and value to it!)
Iam not really sure about the technical application of this particular parameter but, i am sure it is an important one as it was also mentioned in some of the material they distributed

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img2012093000359.jpg

Ian Callum ( Design Director, Jaguar) a very passionate man speaks for a few moment shortly after the unveil

Lana Del Rey performed two songs at the unveiling ceremony. One a popular number of her own and another one specially written for Jaguar F-Type which will also feature in her upcoming album

Here is the first song :

Here is the song written specially for F-Type ( Loved the lyrics as it seemed so apt for a desirable sportscar)

Sorry about the quality and abruptness as there was humungous crowd and everyone were jostling and shoving around to get the best view

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th September 2012 at 21:31.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 18:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Iam not really sure about the technical application of this particular parameter but, i am sure it is an important one as it was also mentioned in some of the material they distributed
That's a strange looking value. May be some gurus can help here. Had it been "Kgf" its understandable, but a mere "Kg" is just a mass and when one talks about a force (mass x acceleration), the other unit has to be there! Or where they trying to impress upon the fact that the amount of downforce(they were talking about lift!) generated by the fin is equivalent to 120 kg? Doesnt that sound too naive to be coming from an engineer? Why would I want to reduce my lift by 120 Kg? Come on! Please, Someone explain me the idea behind this! Or was this such a big comedy of error done by Jag PR guys?

Quote:
Here is the first song :
I like the audio version of this song. Nice theme chosen by Jag guys.
Quote:
best view
Of?

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 30th September 2012 at 18:49.
Old 30th September 2012, 20:00   #29

Awesome launch description and 2 fantastic products. Kudos to Tata for reviving JLR the way it is today. The Range Rover has taken the right cues from the Evoque concepts and setting a perfect tone for future Land Rovers.
Jaguar F - Type's tail lamps too seem to have been inspired from Range Rover Evoque concepts.
viny2k8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 01:30   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
That's a strange looking value. May be some gurus can help here. Had it been "Kgf" its understandable, but a mere "Kg" is just a mass and when one talks about a force (mass x acceleration), the other unit has to be there! Or where they trying to impress upon the fact that the amount of downforce(they were talking about lift!) generated by the fin is equivalent to 120 kg? Doesnt that sound too naive to be coming from an engineer? Why would I want to reduce my lift by 120 Kg? Come on! Please, Someone explain me the idea behind this! Or was this such a big comedy of error done by Jag PR guys?
Acceleration here is gravity, g. Not always mentioned. Correct unit would be Newton.

Generally spoilers create downforce and diffusers reduce lift, but I think the terms are interchangeable, not sure. Either way, expressed as kg at certain speed.

As speed increases, lift increases, handling worsens. If you can reduce your lift by 120 Kg, wouldn't you want it?

Cheers
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks