Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2012, 01:53   #31
BHPian

Re: Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

During my conversation with Ian Callum, asked him ; Why Red color? Is it synonmous that sports car needs to come in Red.

His answer was simple : His favorite color is red and he too likes the F-type the best in red
WOW you actually had a chance to interact with him , The guy is a legend to many and to me God.
Btw a very nice thread on the Ftype,Looking forward to the other videos and images
Old 1st October 2012, 09:46   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit choudhary View Post
WOW you actually had a chance to interact with him , The guy is a legend to many and to me God.
Btw a very nice thread on the Ftype,Looking forward to the other videos and images
Fortunately, Yes I got an opportunity to spend 30 minutes with him behind closed doors and we got to fire away questions that came to our mind.

Let me tell you, he is an extremely passionate man who lives and breathes design

The prominent Jaguar logo at the press conference which was scheduled to start at 8:00AM on Sep 27th, 2012

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0357.jpg

Jaguar Arena

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0356.jpg

John Edwards (Brand Director, LR) speaking at the Press Conference

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0359.jpg

Team Picture. (L-R) ( Ian Callum ( Design Director Jaguar), Brian Hallmark(Global Brand Director),Ravi Kanth (VC, Tata Motors), Ratan Tata, Dr. Ralf Speth (CEO, Jaguar and Land Rover), Gerry McGovern ( Design Director, LR) , John Edwards ( Brand Director, LR)

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0360.jpg

All-New Range Rover was enticingly presented on a pedestal with water surrounding it from all corners

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0365.jpg

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0368.jpg

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0366.jpg

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0369.jpg

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0370.jpg

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0371.jpg

Old-Gen Range Rover was also showcased. It has come a long way, huh?

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0372.jpg

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0374.jpg

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0373.jpg

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0375.jpg

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0376.jpg

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0377.jpg

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0378.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd October 2012 at 11:00.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 11:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fortunately, Yes I got an opportunity to spend 30 minutes with him behind closed doors and we got to fire away questions that came to our mind.
I like the Gen-I Range Rover. All mechanical vehicle. Can you share some more questions(interesting ones!) that was asked to him and his answers to those too! Thanks!

: Mods sorry for OTing the thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Acceleration here is gravity, g. Not always mentioned. Correct unit would be Newton.
The reason why I mentioned "Kgf" - is Kg*N where N = Kg* (m/s²)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilogram-force

Quote:
The kilogram-force (kgf or kgF), or kilopond (kp, from Latin pondus meaning weight), is a gravitational metric unit of force. It is equal to the magnitude of the force exerted by one kilogram of mass in a 9.80665 m/s2 gravitational field (standard gravity, a conventional value approximating the average magnitude of gravity on Earth). Therefore one kilogram-force is by definition equal to 9.80665 N. Similarly, a gram-force is 9.80665 mN, and a milligram-force is 9.80665 µN.
Quote:
Generally spoilers create downforce and diffusers reduce lift, but I think the terms are interchangeable, not sure. Either way, expressed as kg at certain speed.
Exactly thats my doubt here, can you express a certain amount of downforce at certain speed(technically yes! but at what unit!)?

Quote:
As speed increases, lift increases, handling worsens. If you can reduce your lift by 120 Kg, wouldn't you want it?

Cheers
Anyways, all's well that ends well!

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 1st October 2012 at 11:32.
Old 1st October 2012, 12:16   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Exactly thats my doubt here, can you express a certain amount of downforce at certain speed(technically yes! but at what unit!)?
Imagine this:

You have a fat imaginary friend who weighs 120kg and can magically appear and disappear. Now you are driving in your car, and your friend magically appears and disappears from your trunk lip. You notice everytime he appears, your car feels better planted due to the downforce created by your friend. Now if someone asks you how much downforce was your friend applying, would it be wrong to say 120 kg? Or should you only say ~1200 N?

I myself dont care for gravity much, and would say 120 kg.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 12:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Imagine this:

You have a fat imaginary friend who weighs 120kg and can magically appear and disappear.
Cheers
Is it just me or everyone feel so? The black looks much appealing than the silver colour. It somewhat looks bland and plain to me. Wonder, how will the white one look. Any dates on when this will be launched in India?

OT:
I only wish that "Imaginary friend" of mine doesn't read this post of yours! Otherwise, we both are going to be disappear forever!! Nice example though.
Old 1st October 2012, 13:16   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it just me or everyone feel so? The black looks much appealing than the silver colour. It somewhat looks bland and plain to me. Wonder, how will the white one look.
Thats right. Even in flesh that Silverish Greyish Bluish ( not sure whats the exact color) didnt look too appealing. Red was the best color followed by Black

Quote:
Any dates on when this will be launched in India?
They kept repeating Summer-2013. So I assume April/May 2013 it will first hit UK then USA and then rest of the world.

Quote:
Can you share some more questions(interesting ones!) that was asked to him and his answers to those too! Thanks!
I got to spend 30 minutes each with Ian Callum, Gerry McGovern and John Edwards. This closed door meeting was only for 5 people from the Indian Media

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img20120927278.jpg

Here are some of the questions that I posed to Ian Callum and his answers ( not in exact words though as i am outlining based on just my memory recall) so dont hold me to it

Q1. Has the new XJ styling alienating buyer of the previous XJ?

Answer : Not Really as every product goes through improvement in its lifecycle and improved design changes will not alienate buyers

Q2. As a brand exercise, do you see Jaguar tying up with external design houses for limited editions (Aston Martin Zagato etc?)

Answer : Ian mentioned they have a capable team of designers in-house and whatever improvements will happen, it will be by their team. No plans to tie up with external designer houses.

Q3. Are there any there plans to introduce an SUV from Jaguar with your unique design elements? All niche luxury players have a SUV. If you do plan an SUV, how will it be different or leverage LR?

Answer : No Plans to launch an SUV anytime in future by Jaguar.

Q4. Any plans for a Hybrid sports car?

Answer: Yes, this is one in anvil and expect something in coming years.

Q5. Question on colors and whats its importance to a sportscar. There was some discusssion on it and he mentioned RED as his favorite color and that color had to be offered as one from the palette.

Apart from this, I noted he like others he doesnt answer to the point. He explains deeply and passionately that shows of his amazing love for design. He was almost like an artist talking.

Some pictures of the F-Type at the press conference dias
Attached Thumbnails
Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0380.jpg  

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0379.jpg  

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0381.jpg  

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0383.jpg  

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0382.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 14:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

Thanks mobike.

Can you elaborate on the performance stats of the f-type? Was there any shared details on it?

After quite a while there is a vehicle that might give Boxter a serious completion if this F is done right.

Cheers!
Old 1st October 2012, 14:58   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Can you elaborate on the performance stats of the f-type? Was there any shared details on it?
Yes, there was a press kit that we received and details are from that kit.

Now moving on to things other than Jag. The venue of the Motor show was Palais Des Sports which is a huge place and very apt for such large scale shows.

It had more than 7-8 large auditorium and each one hosting atleast 4-6 manafacturers at the minimum.

I reached the venue early in the morning around 6:30am (to complete the formalities and to be in time for the Jag press conference) and it was dark even then though the climate in Paris was not very cold but, extremely pleasant and perfect. Temperatures were 12C minimum and about 18C-20C maximum.

Here are some pictures of the entrance and around the venue of the Paris Motor Show :-
Attached Thumbnails
Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0342.jpg  

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0343.jpg  

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0346.jpg  

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0348.jpg  

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0354.jpg  

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0390.jpg  

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0543.jpg  

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0464.jpg  

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0465.jpg  

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0467.jpg  

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0468.jpg  

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0492.jpg  

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0490.jpg  

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0497.jpg  

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-img_0593.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 14:21   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This was the first question that I and other people from the media asked Ian Callum ( Design Director of Jaguar) but, he was emphatic he got inspired by the E-type Jaguar.

However, me and lot of other people felt the rear lamps has an uncanny resemblance to Evoque's tail lamps
Lol
Callum (Jaguar) and Gerry McGovern (Land/Range Rover) are two of the hottest auto designers globally working in the same firm. Rumor mills have it that there is a healthy rivalry between them inhouse.

Imagine McGovern's delight when you guys popped the question at Ian Callum!!
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 13:26   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a decently sized video of Dr. Ralf Speth ( CEO, Jaguar and Land Rover) speaking at the press conference of the F-Type and All New Range Rover at the Paris Motor Show.

Sorry for delay in uploading this one as it was a 800+MB file for a 5 Minute video

P.S: Btw, I had the good fortune of speaking to Dr.Speth 1-1 at the Range Rover evening for nearly 20 minutes on various topics including Jags, RR and Germany ( from where he hails)

Old 25th October 2012, 12:28   #41
BHPian

F-Type pocket guide...all you want to know about it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 121023 F_TYPE_Pocket Guide_Global.pdf (920.0 KB, 506 views)
Old 20th April 2013, 12:19   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Reporting from Paris : The Jaguar F-Type Roadster & 4th Gen Range Rover-large-image.jpg

Top Gear reports:

Quote:
This is Jaguar's first true sports-car for decades
Read more here;

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/j...gear-2013-4-18

------------------

Mod Note : Team-BHP's driving report on both these cars are now online. Please continue the discussion in the following threads:

Range Rover
Jaguar F-Type

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th May 2013 at 10:38. Reason: Closing thread with note
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks