Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2006, 11:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
I mean, TATA is the good clean honest company and all, but you think they are on top of the country today because they do clean business ??
In a word, YES.

If you've worked for a Tata group company you will realise that the amount of business they lose for sticking to principals is no laughing matter.

If there is ONE group that can claim to have done clean business in India, it is the Tata group.

A very recent example in the Telecom scene was when both Tata and Reliance got CDMA licenses to operate WLL services. As we all know, Reliance started offering full mobily from day one as opposed to the local loop that their license permitted them to. They then obtained backdoor entry into the mobile business through various shady deals.

The Tatas on the other hand stuck to offering limited mobility and came out with full mobility only when the license terms were modified. If you know the technology you will realise there there is no such thing as 'limited mobility' and that it is an enforced restriction - the fact that they enforced that restriction on themselves should tell you a few things about them.

Again, HM lorded it over the automobile scene for decades using dubious means. The fact that they are still the first ones to get huge duty exemptions for taxi usage (including Lancers) and get shortlisted for Government use as well as the defence services canteens should give you an idea of how they do business.

I repeat that if there was any group in India that could be called clean, it has to be the boys from Bombay House. Read up on the Tata Group, on JRD and how they built their business and you will probably think twice before making such claims.
Old 30th March 2006, 12:27   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
In a word, YES.
Another case in point is TATA - SIA venture which was grounded because of sheer lobbying by Naresh Goyal of Jet airlines... TATA with their wherewithal, could have easily lobbied their way, but they dint do so..
Old 30th March 2006, 12:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

@steeroid

Totally agree with u dude.

A friend of mine works for TATA motors in Pune and he once mentioned to me that in TATA you have reasonalby good job security. But hte only thing that can get you fired instantly is any unethical behaviour.

another case in point- about 10 years back, TATA was the only company that stood up to teh ULFA millitants in Assam and refused to pay any "protection money"

Bravo TATA I say!
Old 30th March 2006, 12:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In a word, YES.
If you've worked for a Tata group company you will realise that the amount of business they lose for sticking to principals is no laughing matter.

If there is ONE group that can claim to have done clean business in India, it is the Tata group.
I am not the right person to generalize it for entire Tata group, but I've worked with a Tata company and I can personally vouch that there was a great deal of focus on ethical business practices. I expect something similar in other Tata companies as well.
Old 30th March 2006, 13:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Read up on the Tata Group, on JRD and how they built their business and you will probably think twice before making such claims.
Let me first say Im in no way undermining the work of the TATA family especially JRD Tata, and what they have done for our country.

I know they say the proofs in the pudding, I have no proof to back up my claims. Yes there are many instances when they have shown ethical behaviour. I was wrong in quoting TATA as an example, when there are many other instances of unethical business practises..... My post was to just further elaborate the mention of greasing palms. Anyway this is an apology !

Last edited by s0uljah : 30th March 2006 at 13:21.
Old 30th March 2006, 13:45   #21
BHPian

Hyundai getting muddled. Unthinkable. So is that the reason Subbu quit?
I have seen some of my friends struggling during their service for their daewoo cars . i cannot think of same with hyundai. Can someone throw light that this happening only to Korean Cos.
Old 30th March 2006, 20:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Sorry mods I just couldn't resist myself from posting this.

Quote:
In a word, YES.

I repeat that if there was any group in India that could be called clean, it has to be the boys from Bombay House. Read up on the Tata Group, on JRD and how they built their business and you will probably think twice before making such claims.
Now after that post please visit following links
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Entire topic can be found here
Old 30th March 2006, 20:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Seems like you've been to a lot of trouble, adya33.

However, I stand by what I said w.r.t Varun Roy's case going by what we know of it, and I stand by what I say here. Each of those opinions are to be evaluated with respect to the context that it is said in. More than anything else, I've put my money where my mouth is - on a few Tata products.

If you want an arguement, you've come to the wrong place son.

Last edited by Steeroid : 30th March 2006 at 20:11.
Old 30th March 2006, 22:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
Sorry mods I just couldn't resist myself from posting this.

Now after that post please visit following links
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Entire topic can be found here
I dont see any contradiction in what Steeroid has said.. Ethical business practice does not necessarily mean that the company has good customer service or that they dont have an internal bureaucracy that moves painfully slowly..
Old 31st March 2006, 04:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

the government cant let Hyundai go bust as it is a major revenue earner for Korea.

but mitsubishi has pulled itself out from a bigger scam. I dont see y hyundai cant do it being a bigger company.
Old 31st March 2006, 11:18   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In a word, YES.

I have worked for a Tata company for 6 years. I can easily disprove your statement, but NDA is stopping me.
Old 31st March 2006, 11:37   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I have worked for a Tata company for 6 years. I can easily disprove your statement, but NDA is stopping me.
Samurai san... I think NDAs have a time period, right? So if you are through with the Tatas since more than the last 2 years I guess you can shed some light on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
another case in point- about 10 years back, TATA was the only company that stood up to teh ULFA millitants in Assam and refused to pay any "protection money"
O Oh... why did you have to queer the pitch Himanshu? It was going quite nice till you said that. And now that it has reminded me something I gotta write. Well, the fact is Tata Tea was in major soup some one decade back because it came out that they provided lot of financial and medical helps to the ULFA cadres. So there goes your statement for a six

Mind you, I myself own a Tata car, but still a fact is a fact.

Last edited by Zappo : 31st March 2006 at 11:41.
Old 31st March 2006, 11:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Like Zappo says, an NDA is valid for 1 or two years. Go ahead and educate us - walk the torque.

Last edited by Steeroid : 31st March 2006 at 11:48.
Old 31st March 2006, 11:48   #29
Team-BHP Support

Someone said that Hyundai is a chaebol and hence it can not go bust. Well, remember that so is Daewoo. I say "is" and not "was" because Daewoo as a chaebol is still very much there... They only sold off their motors business. Similarly, if Hyundai motors folds up because of the scam that won't necessarily mean an Exit for the Hyundai chaebol.

Now whether Hyundai will actually fold-up is something only time will tell but a spark starts the fire... remember Daewoo? It started, with Daewoo making a lot of countering claims in newspapers and TV ads... and still once it started rolling and gathered speed the whole thing was unstoppable. I also remember how Hyundai used to release those disparaging advertisements about Daewoo in newspapers, as is their regular practice (of releasing such stupid advertisements about competition). I remember one in a local newspaper in Mumbai that said "car aapke ghar mein, company sadak pe", which means the car will come to your home but the company will be on the roads. How stupid!!! And how I wish that Daewoo were here today. I would have loved to see how Hyundai likes it when the shoe is on the other foot
Old 31st March 2006, 12:02   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Samurai san... I think NDAs have a time period, right? So if you are through with the Tatas since more than the last 2 years I guess you can shed some light on this
I am through with Tatas for 8 years now. But I treat NDAs seriously. Talking over beer is one thing, but I won't wash dirty linen in a public forum.

Coming back to the case in point, Tata is no holier than any other greedy corporate entity. Let's leave it at that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks