Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2006, 09:28   #16
BHPian

I think BMW and Honda are the only companies which make both good cars and good motorbikes.
Triumph also had some decent cars some time back.
Old 7th May 2006, 11:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
This seems to be true for Americans, and untrue for Japanese

Example... Ford, GM, Chrysler for cars and trucks no bikes
HD for only bikes, nothing else... Core competency is an american management term..

Hitachi, semiconductors to earthmovers.
Mitsubishi, again semiconductors to airplanes
Yamaha, electronics to motorcycles.. many more..
But i know of one American bike TOMAHAWK
So if Americans do make bikes they will be muscle bikes

Speaking of japanese Toyota, Nissan, Mazda only stick to making cars only.
Old 8th May 2006, 17:16   #18
BHPian

hmmm.. seems like Everyone likes yamaha bikes and would love to see thier cars if at all they plan to manufacture one for the public use.
As, one of our team member mentioned, we should try fiting R1 engine in ZEN and chech it out heehee *peace out*
Old 8th May 2006, 20:05   #19
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24
But i know of one American bike TOMAHAWK
So if Americans do make bikes they will be muscle bikes

Speaking of japanese Toyota, Nissan, Mazda only stick to making cars only.
Don't know about Toyota, but Nissan makes boats, and Mazdad Heavy trucks
Old 8th May 2006, 21:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

How about having some Lambo and Ferrari bikes??wonder how they would perform!!!
I know Ferrari has their own collection of bicycles just like mercedes and BMW...Each bicycle would cost in between 7 to 12 lakhs Indian rupees...

Shhh...heard Mr. Kingfisher owns one of those bicycles!!!
Old 8th May 2006, 23:23   #21
BHPian

one more question to add Why dosen't HONDA manf any Diesel engine cars ?? or do they . Correct me if i am wrong !!
Old 8th May 2006, 23:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango
one more question to add Why dosen't HONDA manf any Diesel engine cars ?? or do they . Correct me if i am wrong !!
http://world.honda.com/news/2004/4040506.html
Old 8th May 2006, 23:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
Thanks Moda for the link, but r they planning to launch any diesel models in India ??
Old 9th May 2006, 00:12   #24
elf
BANNED

Yamaha did manufacture the engine for the Ford Taurus (USA) back in 1988. Ford sold the car as a different, high-end model called the Taurus SHO, & it was marketed by them to be the American M5 beater at the time.

I'd also read an article a loooong while ago about their planned 800k supercar in Car&Driver, but I guess nothing came of it.
Old 12th May 2006, 00:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
Its always best to stick to one's core competencies. Yamaha would have understood that much better. It might be better to hold on to one bird in the hand than to go after 2 in the bush.

Perhaps in India, they can try to make cars cause their brand value in Bikes in the Indian market has been shattered. One person who visited the faridabad factory for training told me that inside officials have confirmed that they are not committed to the Indian market anymore. India is an export manufacturing base alone for Yamaha. Are we fools to think, that Yamaha cant make a bike to compete with the pulsars and ZMAs?? A revamped RX with better performance can just blow the so called "definately male bikes" to smitters.

They are just not committed. Simple answer to why we havent seen any great bikes from Yamaha after RX series. Anyone has a contradicting answer??

More proof to show that as far as the Indian market is concerned, YAMAHA is DEAD!!!
No mention of the Indian company at all in the global website: http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global...iaAsia/Oceania Country/Region Company Site Language Australia Yamaha Motor Australia PTY. Limited (YMA) English New Zealand Yamaha Motor Newzealand (YMNZ) English China Yamaha Jianshe Motor Shanghai Marketing Co., Ltd. (YMSM) Simplified Chinese Indonesia P.T. Yamaha Indonesia Motor Manufacturing (YIMM) Indonesian/English Taiwan Yamaha Motor Taiwan Co., Ltd. (YMT) Complex Chinese Thailand Thai Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. (TYM) Thai Vietnam Yamaha Motor Vietnam Co., Ltd. (YMVN) Vietnamese

Last edited by mail4ajo : 12th May 2006 at 00:10.
Old 12th May 2006, 00:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
More proof to show that as far as the Indian market is concerned, YAMAHA is DEAD!!!
Are you sure about it ?
Old 12th May 2006, 06:17   #27
BHPian

yam dead .. no sirreeee

i don't think yamaha is dead in India .. they might have hibernated for a bit but if u've read yeaterday's Mumbai mirror .. they plan to launch the R1, R6 and a 250 cc bike in the span of the next 3 years .. i also heard the same thing on some TV interview with an automobile journalist .. can't remember who it was .. apparently they've realised that there is a market for big bikes what with the higher disposable income n' stuff .. i .. for one ..am waiting with baited breath .. where's my piggy bank !!!
Old 12th May 2006, 12:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed
i don't think yamaha is dead in India .. they might have hibernated for a bit but if u've read yeaterday's Mumbai mirror .. they plan to launch the R1, R6 and a 250 cc bike in the span of the next 3 years .. i also heard the same thing on some TV interview with an automobile journalist .. can't remember who it was .. apparently they've realised that there is a market for big bikes what with the higher disposable income n' stuff .. i .. for one ..am waiting with baited breath .. where's my piggy bank !!!
How foolish its for them to think of bringing R1 into the country. How many of the indian riders will be able to ride an R1. We just cant handle it........... The market has to mature slowly. Is there a single 400CC or 600CC around in the market?? We have to learn how to ride these bikes first and then graduate to litre class. Has anyone on this forum learned to ride bikes before they learned cycling?? Could be.. But it is certainly rare. Big money sacks and sons of industrialists will be able to get the R1. How many of them can ride decently. Where are the roads?? Drag strips are enough?? Dont think piggy banks are enough for these machines, it will cost you your entire banking account.

Let Yamaha launch a sub 400CC first and gradually upgrade. There will be a fiasco if they bring R1 now. They should help people import them. Yamaha has only grown to the 125 CC bracket yet. Seen their latest bike, gladiator 125(read s**t..) ??
They teased with 250 fazer and rossi's bikes, but came with a piece of metal scrap.....

Dont think I am a yamaha critic. I used to swear by RX series.I still maintain a RX135. YAMAHA IS DEAD !!!! Long live the wicked pulsars, subtle ZMAs and dumb unicorns !!!!

Last edited by mail4ajo : 12th May 2006 at 12:48.

Most Viewed