Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2013, 08:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

VTEC Turbo + Direct-Injection: Honda's latest addition to Earth Dreams lineup

Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced that it has newly developed VTEC TURBO, a direct injection gasoline turbo engine.

The VTEC TURBO is a new addition to the Earth Dreams Technology, the next-generation powertrain technologies which achieve both the fun of driving and excellent fuel economy at a high level.

The seies will feature displacement size variation of 2.0 L, 1.5 L and 1.0 L engines.

Quote:
  • 2.0 L 4-cylinder direct injection gasoline turbo engine
High output and high response were achieved by VTEC, a high-output turbocharger, direct injection technology, and a high-performance cooling system. This is an innovative high-performance engine that realizes the maximum output of more than 280 HP as well as high environmental performance that complies with the EURO 6, European emission standards which will become effective in 2014.
  • 1.5 L 4-cylinder direct injection gasoline turbo engine / 1.0 L 3-cylinder direct injection gasoline turbo engine
These are next-generation compact engines that combine a base engine with a newly designed framework, the VTEC variable valve train system with thoroughly reduced friction, a turbocharger with a low moment of inertia and high responsiveness, and direct injection technology to achieve good balance between high output and torque, above those of conventional naturally-aspirated engines, along with excellent fuel economy.
2.0 L 4-cylinder
VTEC Turbo + Direct-Injection: Honda's latest addition to Earth Dreams lineup-vtec-2l.jpg

1.5 L 4-cylinder
VTEC Turbo + Direct-Injection: Honda's latest addition to Earth Dreams lineup-vtec-1.5l.jpg

1.0 L 3-cylinder
VTEC Turbo + Direct-Injection: Honda's latest addition to Earth Dreams lineup-vtec-1.0l.jpg

Source: Honda.
sarathlal is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 09:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: VTEC Turbo + Direct-Injection: Honda's latest addition to Earth Dreams lineup

Eat that Eco-boost. The internal combustion engine master is at it and how!
extreme_torque is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 09:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: VTEC Turbo + Direct-Injection: Honda's latest addition to Earth Dreams lineup

Sweet. Reminds me of the old Honda City Vtec which was a marvel during those times!

I won't be surprised to see the new line of Vtec Turbo engines make it to the City, Civic and the most probably the upcoming CUV!

Last edited by GTO : 19th November 2013 at 12:46. Reason: Please don't use acronyms (e.g. OHC) when referring to cars. Only full make + model please.
Old 19th November 2013, 10:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic news.

Waiting to see the VTEC Turbos to take on the TSi and the Ecoboost.

Does HONDA have a DSG equivalent transmission to mate the fast engine with a fast transmission ?
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 10:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Fantastic news.

Waiting to see the VTEC Turbos to take on the TSi and the Ecoboost.

Does HONDA have a DSG equivalent transmission to mate the fast engine with a fast transmission ?
They have the i-DCD, a seven-speed dual clutch transmission (intelligent Dual Clutch Drive), a CVT called i-MMD (Intelligent Multi Mode Drive), and then a series of CVT transmissions developed as part of their Earth Dreams.
sarathlal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 10:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

These are VTEC Turbo engines & not I-VTEC Turbo?
Old 19th November 2013, 12:16   #7
BHPian

But How soon will the Indian aam junta get to sample these engines?
Knowing Honda who are not Hyundai in bringing their latest immediately here unless it pinches them badly (iDTEC), they would be happy offering normal iVTEC for next couple of years.

I also notice no intercooler for 1.0 Engine. Why?

Last edited by DWind : 19th November 2013 at 12:19.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 12:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

This is it guys, the new Civic Type R equipped with the 2L VTEC Turbo (280hp), almost production ready prototype

VTEC Turbo + Direct-Injection: Honda's latest addition to Earth Dreams lineup-2015hondacivictyperturbo42.jpg

VTEC Turbo + Direct-Injection: Honda's latest addition to Earth Dreams lineup-2015hondacivictyperturbo162.jpg

VTEC Turbo + Direct-Injection: Honda's latest addition to Earth Dreams lineup-2015hondacivictyperturbo202.jpg

Image Source

Last edited by karan561 : 19th November 2013 at 12:34.
karan561 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 12:52   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: VTEC Turbo + Direct-Injection: Honda's latest addition to Earth Dreams lineup

This is awesome news from Honda...once a pioneer of petrols, and now a laggard. Europeans left the Japanese eating their dust with direct-injection turbocharged petrol motors. Better late than never is what I say.

280 horses from a 2.0 liter is mind-boggling! That's similar to what the Accord churns out from its 6-cylinder 3.5L engine.

Trust Honda to extract the most horses from a specific output. Even the Amaze i-Dtec has 99 BHP on tap from a 1.5L, with excellent driveability to match! Though I have my doubts on turbo-lag from Honda's new petrols (considering all Vtecs usually suffer from poor low-end torque).
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 12:54   #10
BHPian

Re: VTEC Turbo + Direct-Injection: Honda's latest addition to Earth Dreams lineup

Welcome back full time HONDA...!!!

Now this is what i call moving with times and catching competitors by surprise. Now as the first step, they should launch the 2014 City with this. How about that for 1.2 TSI vento/rapid rival ? Ha haa
Old 19th November 2013, 12:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Though I have my doubts on turbo-lag from Honda's new petrols (considering all Vtecs usually suffer from poor low-end torque).
Not necessarily. Honda can also use the Vtech tech to improve low end torque if they like.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 13:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

The 2.0 Turbo 280 hp of the CIvic type R is super close to the EVOs and the STIs. But in regular variants, I am positive this engine will be detuned to lesser hp output for better drivability and fuel efficiency.

The Brio/Amaze with the 1.0 Turbo could be a possibility.

A little more dreaming -- 1.5L City type R with 150 hp.
dipen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 13:18   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Not necessarily. Honda can also use the Vtech tech to improve low end torque if they like.
Seems Autocar UK have already test driven this Civic Type R & they say;
Quote:
"The new engine will hold almost 300lb ft of torque from 2000rpm"
You can read the full review HERE
karan561 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 13:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Question is whether they will bring these engines to India for now>?
I think not! They sell in good numbers with regular VTEC engines and they will wait for Hyundai to launch these engines before they react. VW hardly dents its sales and competition is really non existent as far as the petrol market in India is concerned.
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 15:53   #15
BHPian

Yay!! lets sit tight and hold our breaths for whats being announced on Nov 25th. Now with Honda back in its testing grounds (read that as the F1). I am super excited.

I am a greedy bugger and want a Jazz 4wd with that sweet 1.5L motor
adityasiera is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks