Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2014, 16:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Next generation Hyundai Elantra caught on test

The next generation Hyundai Elantra has been caught on test. The heavily camouflaged test mule reveals very little about what's new. However, the overall body shape is largely similar to the current generation Elantra, which is now in its fifth iteration.

Noticeable changes include restyled head-lights and tail-lights, with the latter possibly getting the LED treatment. The front fascia also looks a little slimmer and Hyundai may use a few cues from the Genesis for the Elantra's styling. Mechanical updates/improvements of any kind are speculation for now, as little about the sedan has been revealed so far.

Next generation Hyundai Elantra caught on test-410781488920683097.jpg

Next generation Hyundai Elantra caught on test-1389171664368767420.jpg

Next generation Hyundai Elantra caught on test-1476590801723212413.jpg

Next generation Hyundai Elantra caught on test-img3476321_600.jpg

Next generation Hyundai Elantra caught on test-img3476320_600.jpg

Next generation Hyundai Elantra caught on test-img3476310_600.jpg

Next generation Hyundai Elantra caught on test-img3476307_600.jpg

Images courtesy: Worldcarfans & auto.sohu
Tushar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th December 2014, 15:03   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Next generation Hyundai Elantra caught on test

Time for a new Elantra already? The current gen is hardly old. Still looks fresh & nice.

The next-gen sure looks big from the side profile! Just look at that wheelbase.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2014, 23:41   #3
Team-BHP Support

This time I hope they beef up the diesel engine from 1.6 to 2L. Thats one big sore point which puts it down against the others in the segment. Or least they keep it as an option.

Last edited by GTO : 29th December 2014 at 13:29. Reason: Typo :)
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2014, 01:22   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

very well said, the main reason we shot down the car was the engine. Otherwise i liked everything about the car over the cruze.

Only difference when you press the pedal on cruze, well you forget everything else and all you do is smile after that
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 14:35   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This time I hope they beef up the diesel engine from 1.6 to 2L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
very well said, the main reason we shot down the car was the engine.
So true. I don't think the current gen Elantra is sold anywhere with a 2.0 diesel, which is pretty much the norm in the D2 segment.

On a related note, even the Sonata's lack of a diesel mill is hurting its market performance. Hyundai needs to work on its big diesel strategy.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 11:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So true. I don't think the current gen Elantra is sold anywhere with a 2.0 diesel, which is pretty much the norm in the D2 segment.

On a related note, even the Sonata's lack of a diesel mill is hurting its market performance. Hyundai needs to work on its big diesel strategy.

Yeah, so true. Another sore point wold be the handling of the car. If they are about to launch the Elantra with a 2.0 liter diesel, they should improve the handling of the car. Hope the other elements of the older Elantra are maintained.

Once when I read a few reviews from other sites, they had particularly appreciated the Elantra's handling and it's road manners, mentioning that's the handling is stable and they said it's as good as the Europeans. How about launching the Elantra with a stiffened suspension and a beefed up engine as a new variant in the new Gen one pitting it as a direct competitor to the Germans? Definitely opens up the segment very much.

Thanks,

Achyuth
Old 30th December 2014, 12:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

The Corolla seems to be doing fine with a puny 1.4 litre Diesel engine. The one in Elantra is upwards of 125 BHP vs the 88 odd Bhp for the Corolla. I believe that Indian car buyers some times do not rate the car on its merit but on the basis of the manufacturer's reputation. So TAta Mororsis ok for cars worth 6.5 lakh Maruti is ok for cars upto Rs 8- 9 lakh, Honda & Hyundai till 11-12 lakh and anything over 12 lakh it has to be a Toyota ( Innova, Fortuner, Corolla) . The exceptions are made for SUV's ( XUV and Renualt get a decent no of buyers ).

For cars priced over 25- 30 lakh people are willing to put money for bare bone Audi/ BMW & Mercedes variants and avoid decently kitted VW/ Skoda products .
rajneeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 14:24   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post

Once when I read a few reviews from other sites, they had particularly appreciated the Elantra's handling and it's road manners, mentioning that's the handling is stable and they said it's as good as the Europeans. How about launching the Elantra with a stiffened suspension and a beefed up engine as a new variant in the new Gen one pitting it as a direct competitor to the Germans? Definitely opens up the segment very much.

Thanks,

Achyuth
Having an Elantra at home, I can assure you that the dynamics is not as good as the Jetta. Elantra simply can't match the superb engine-transmission-chassis combination of the German. Don't get me wrong here, the ride is very well sorted compared to the Verna but when compared to the Jetta or Octavia it does fall behind.The 1.6 CRDI is a very capable engine with its free revving nature, great useable power, supreme refinement, and good fuel efficiency. It's more of a cruiser than a racer. The power difference between the 1.6 and 2.0 isn't too much (unlike the Toyota's 1.4). The Elantra is lighter as well. Won't be surprised if Hyundai decides to retain the same engine albeit in a higher version of tune. But a 2L engine with a stiffened suspension, and a dual clutch transmission with paddle-shifters( asking for too much? :P),at a VFM price tag surely will be a dream worth having!!

Cheers

Last edited by GKR9900 : 30th December 2014 at 14:34.
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 19:29   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

This is how the all-new, 2016 Hyundai Elantra will look like:

Next generation Hyundai Elantra caught on test-2229068e874b6a8551d03373a55d6f57.jpg

Completely revolutionary styling changes, with almost no frontal similarities to the current-gen Elantra. The large, hexagonal grille up front seems too loud to me, although the headlamp styling sure looks funky.

SOURCE - Hankyung Auto
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 16:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
This is how the all-new, 2016 Hyundai Elantra will look like:

Attachment 1348764

Completely revolutionary styling changes, with almost no frontal similarities to the current-gen Elantra. The large, hexagonal grille up front seems too loud to me, although the headlamp styling sure looks funky.

SOURCE - Hankyung Auto

Thats obviously a photoshop. Its the body of the Sonata with a morphed grill.
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 16:11   #11
Team-BHP Support

Here are some more images of the next-gen Hyundai Elantra.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Next generation Hyundai Elantra caught on test-elantra-int.jpg

Next generation Hyundai Elantra caught on test-elantra2.jpg

Next generation Hyundai Elantra caught on test-elantra1.jpg

Source: World Car Fans

Last edited by Aditya : 28th April 2015 at 16:13.
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 16:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Thats obviously a photoshop. Its the body of the Sonata with a morphed grill.
That doesn't look like a photoshop edit. Compare it with the provided spyshots and you can almost confirm that the said image and spyshots are the same.
Old 28th April 2015, 18:51   #13
BHPian

If those interiors pictures are really of the New Elantra (which I doubt), its very disappointing.
Its like Hyundai has taken two steps back in terms of design.

It looks so staid, that it'll be boring even for a German car.

Hyundai can do much better.
Old 9th June 2015, 19:11   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

The India-bound 2017 Hyundai Elantra (Avante) has been caught in a round of spyshots by Korean auto blogsite Naver.

A seemingly larger front grille, larger headlamp sections with projectors and LED DRLs and newly redesigned LED tail lamps (taking design cues from the Elite i20's tail lights) look to be the updates to the exterior.

Interiors are still vague, but feature updates on the lines of the recently facelifted Santa Fe can be expected.

RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 15:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

So, here it is! Hyundai has finally released the teaser pic of the next-gen Elantra. And it does look stylish and elegant.

Following the trend set by the second-gen Genesis luxury sedan, the upcoming Elantra loses its curves in many places. A large hexagonal grille dominates the front end while sleeker wraparound headlamps replace the curvy units in the current car. The C-pillar looks distinct as well with a prominent shoulder line running the length of the car.

The new Elantra is expected to make its debut later this year at the 2015 Los Angeles Auto Show.

Next generation Hyundai Elantra caught on test-2016-hyundai-elantra-teaser-pic.jpg

For a change, I can't believe that its time to replace the current Elantra already. This is one car that has not lost its charm despite being at the fag end of its life cycle. I would be happy to see the car remain in its current form itself but, given the new model is already on the way, I'm hoping it doesn't spoil the party for Hyundai.
arvi86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks