Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2015, 21:33   #331
BHPian

re: VAG's emission fraud - VW cheats in emission test

VW has set up a dedicated site to address queries on the DieselGate scandal:
http://vwdieselinfo.com/

Also, looks like Germany is coming down hard on VW: they have given the company time till Oct 07 to present a comprehensive solution

http://blog.caranddriver.com/germany...sions-problem/
prashanthyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 00:58   #332
BHPian

Hello

Audi recently revealed that the Q3 is also one of the affected models
I've got the 2012 Audi Q3 and unfortunately this is a CBU as it was from one of the starting batches they got at the launch.

What should I do ?
Should I approach the dealership ?
Any emission tests I can do ?

Please advice.

Thanking you
Regards
Old 29th September 2015, 01:01   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It seems that the software came from Bosch with the rider that it was only for internal testing only, and not to be put into customer cars. This was conveniently ignored.
Sir, not only it was ignored, but when Bosch tried pointing out the callous use of the soft ware on marketed cars, the contract confidentiality clause was quoted by VW to silence them from going open on this issue.
Old 29th September 2015, 03:03   #334
BHPian

Skoda has now been officially implicated in this scandal.
I wonder if they'll find the same software on petrol cars and other brands owned by VAG as well (Seat, Porsche etc.).

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34377443

And apparently the backlash against VW owners has already started in the US, in places like Portland.

Don't know if this note is legitimate, this was posted on Instagram by a friend.
Attached Thumbnails
VAG's emission fraud - VW cheats in emission test-vw.jpg  

Last edited by Jeeper1941 : 29th September 2015 at 03:09.
Old 29th September 2015, 06:02   #335
BHPian

Complete internals of VW 2.0 Liter TDI Common Rail BIN5 ULEV Engine
This document (90-page PDF) gives the complete internals of the most famous engine in the world! The engine management system of the 2.0 Liter TDI engine with common rail injection system is the electronic diesel control EDC17 from Bosch.
msprabhakar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 07:48   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
In all this, where do you think all this is going to end? I mean, they will get fined etc and they will pay up. But the damage is done right? Perhaps force VW to clean up the atmosphere?
Samsung was fined 500 million for leading a cartel of LCD price fixing. Only after they had earned billions and used the profits to turbo charge their mobile business. It was just cost of doing business. I doubt VW fines will be punitive enough to endanger the company. Some heads will roll and a lot of PR and lobbying will take place .

In fact VW was caught doing exactly the same thing twice before I think. In trucks.
drsingh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 08:11   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen's new Boss Mueller will push strategy shift to foster change.

The former Porsche boss wanted the new strategy to remain on the agenda of the Friday meeting in Wolfsburg.

Quote:
More authority will be given to individual brands and regions, a departure from the centralized structures that kept key decisions in Wolfsburg and the CEO's inner circle
Quote:
Still, Mueller’s authority isn’t absolute. Winterkorn remains CEO of Porsche Automobil Holding SE, Volkswagen’s dominant shareholder. His continued role is a contentious issue especially for labor leaders
Quote:
The investment vehicle of the Porsche family moved on Saturday to tighten its control of the automaker by buying shares held by Suzuki Motor Corp. The purchase takes the family’s holding in VW to 52.2 percent from 50.7 percent

Quote:
While his path to the top of Volkswagen isn’t unlike Winterkorn’s -- both men are company veterans and worked for years at the Audi unit -- they have markedly different styles. Winterkorn was more patriarchal and could come off as gruff, with a growling voice and an imposing frame adding gravitas, while Mueller has a cooler and more cosmopolitan air and has said his management style is more inclusive
http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...autonews-daily
Old 29th September 2015, 08:54   #338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This will definitely happen in the US with all those class action suites lined up against VW. But I very much doubt if that is going to happen in India, unless the Government takes a strict stand on the issue!
This is what is being planned for India. I believe nothing will come out of it though.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 09:19   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Class action is a very specific (legal) US phenomena/construct Is something similar even possible in India?
Old 29th September 2015, 09:57   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravcshah View Post
Audi recently revealed that the Q3 is also one of the affected models .I've got the 2012 Audi...What should I do ?
Should I approach the dealership ?
Any emission tests I can do?
I do not think car owners need to do anything in a hurry. VW/Audi will come out with a definite recall plan to fix the software hitch as well as any hardware modifications required without additional cost to the buyers (if they are interested in people continue buying their cars). Worldwide or in India, I do not think any government will consider the existing VW /Audi car owners to go off road for no mistake of theirs.
Old 29th September 2015, 10:11   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
Worldwide or in India, I do not think any government will consider the existing VW /Audi car owners to go off road for no mistake of theirs.
I think you underestimate the people (m*r*ns) who run our country. I will not be surprised if some politician/bureaucrat suggests taking VW vehicles off the road because that would get him in the news and the cascading effect of that.
I have probably already taken taken a big resale hit on my jetta and will have to keep it for longer than I had planned earlier and deal with the eventual expensive repairs of an old VW.
I still think that VW has been silently fixing the Indian Jettas (especially on idle). My MID mileage drops significantly when I am in idle nowadays which was not the case before my first service. Since Pollution Test in India is done on idle, that makes sense for me.
etrast75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 10:38   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
I think you underestimate the people (m*r*ns) who run our country. I will not be surprised if some politician/bureaucrat suggests taking VW vehicles off the road because that would get him in the news ....

I still think that VW has been silently fixing the Indian Jettas (especially on idle). My MID mileage drops significantly when I am in idle nowadays which was not the case before my first service. Since Pollution Test in India is done on idle, that makes sense for me.
1. Even in US the outlook is not so bleak. Jetta Mk 1 to 4 were popular European cars on the road and ultimately the user perception, after fixing the car, if still positive, it will still sell.
2. Issues were there earlier with DSG and still VW had retained its customers by giving extended warranty in US to alley their fears.
3. What you say about silent fixing of software is possible. My Jetta was giving 17.4 km pl when new. After 15000 km servicing it came down to 14 to 15. All highways. I remember them mentioning about updating the software.
5 All said and done, when guys make good cars why cheating on a mandate of state and put an elephant size fly in the soup?

Last edited by alavandar : 29th September 2015 at 10:40.
Old 29th September 2015, 11:44   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Class action is a very specific (legal) US phenomena/construct Is something similar even possible in India?
Well there is something in India called public interest litigation (PIL).
http://supremecourtofindia.nic.in/ci...guidelines.pdf
Point no.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme court
Letter-petitions falling under the following categories alone will ordinarily be entertained as Public Interest Litigation:-
Petitions pertaining to environmental pollution, disturbance of ecological balance, drugs, food adulteration, maintenance of heritage and culture, antiques, forest and wild life and other matters of public importance
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Samsung was fined 500 million for leading a cartel of LCD price fixing. Only after they had earned billions and used the profits to turbo charge their mobile business. It was just cost of doing business. I doubt VW fines will be punitive enough to endanger the company. Some heads will roll and a lot of PR and lobbying will take place .

In fact VW was caught doing exactly the same thing twice before I think. In trucks.
I think most of the people don't have any idea how business is usually done around the world (and has always been done in the past too). Regulations, laws, rules are all eyewash for the gullible public (who has been raised on a steady diet of morality).

Last edited by alpha1 : 29th September 2015 at 11:47.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 14:44   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

1.2 million Skoda cars and 1.8 million Volkswagen light commercial vehicles carry the emissions cheating software, according to latest official disclosures.

Quote:
"I can confirm that where the Skoda brand is concerned, there are 1.2 million cars that were produced," Skoda's spokesman Jozef Balaz told AFP.
Quote:
Volkswagen's light commercial vehicles account for 1.8 million of the 11 million diesel cars fitted with software linked to a scandal over rigged emissions tests, a spokesman for VW's commercial vehicles business told a German newspaper. The VW business, whose models include the Transporter and Caddy vans, plans to present proposals to authorities in the coming weeks for technical measures to be taken on the affected vehicles, Hannoversche Allgemeine Zeitung cited the spokesman as saying in a summary of an article to be published on Tuesday.
ET Auto

ET Auto
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 17:32   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen to recall 11 million cars globally.The figures also include 1.8 million light commercial vehicles.

To date, it has only been confirmed that 480,000 VWs will be recalled in the USA.

German carmaker says to recall up to 11 million vehicles in its efforts to tackle the emissions scandal.

Quote:
Owners of affected vehicles will be contacted "in the next few days" and invited to have their cars refitted in the coming months. The group says it is planning to advise technicians of the measures which need to be taken next month.
Quote:
The plan is the first sign of Volkswagen looking to address the problems caused by its scandal - something it has been under pressure to do since news of its cheating in US emissions tests emerged last week.

While the group has said that 11 million vehicles worldwide are affected by the scandal, it's known that only a portion of those vehicles are from the Volkswagen brand itself. Audi has revealed that 2.1 million vehicles from its brand are affected worldwide. Moreover, Skoda has also revealed that 1.2 million of its cars globally are affected by the scandal.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ly-397739.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th September 2015 at 17:35.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks