Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2017, 13:50   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

I remember, many years ago he had appeared on Top Gear trying to make a James Bond car and in another episode, raced his sofa car against some other 'weird' cars.

The sofa hold the world record for fastest sofa in the world!
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 17:50   #17
BHPian

re: Wheeler Dealers TV Show - Goodbye Edd China *EDIT: Edd’s back with Garage Revival!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
After 13 series of Wheeler Dealers, Ed China is bowing out.

Why?

The orginal producer was Attaboy production who sold out to the US Based Velocity TV. They found during the last series that filming Edd's detailed fixes was not easy so they want to make that superficial.

Ant Anstead will be replacing Edd

Things will not be the same without Edd
Ed China was pretty much the centre of the show. Mike was really good in getting a cheeky deal for his purchases but the real work was done at the workshop. Ed made the modifications and restorations look so simple that even a novice would want to give that a go. The USP of the show was in the details of these restorations and sometimes they managed to capture almost every step of it.
I wish all the best to Ed. Sure many will miss him in WD.

rejoycjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 19:40   #18
Team-BHP Support

re: Wheeler Dealers TV Show - Goodbye Edd China *EDIT: Edd’s back with Garage Revival!

Wheeler Dealers wont be the same without Ed. Endearing and resourceful, he had a knack for making a complex restoration look easy, all without losing the interest of the viewer.

Anyway, sometimes going solo is a new avenue that leads to even greener pastures.
Old 24th March 2017, 04:14   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Hope he isn't replaced by the "American Choppers" kind of big tattoo guys who deal with more on screen swearing than repairing.
Old 24th March 2017, 05:39   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Its the only car show I ever liked, not Fifth Gear and certainly not Top Gear. Mike Brewer and Edd China's partnership began I believe in a show called Auto Trader where Mike helped people find their ideal car in the showroom and Edd either helped people restore their vehicle to have it up for sale or assisted Mike in sorting out myths and common problems of identifying good used cars and getting the best out of the buck. This was, perhaps the all-in-one buyers guide.

Then Wheeler Dealers spun off of it and got technical, totally mech-geek and at the same time honest as well if one can see the initial episodes. It would've been a TRP nightmare if not for Edd who has the unique ability to explain something as complex as car-mechanics in a manner that was so simple and so illustrative that kids could learn it easily. He truly showed that underneath the glitz and glamour of a car body, is simple plumbing, electrical wiring and electronic circuitry. He is the mechanic of mechanics and his flair for solving problems on the cheap and using moderation and restraint in repairs is a far cry from the real-world mechanics.

The series got ruined the second they set foot in America and set-up shop there, it was fine till the day Mike simply procured vehicles to give to Edd. Here we have 2 blokes from U.K, who all of a sudden have set up a shop in California and are wheeling-dealing out of U.S, making acquisitions that seemed at best "choreographed" and not really showing a sale happening at the end of a few episodes, this to me showed that these two became the puppets of the producers and had no decision making powers of their own.

Like all shows, this one had to taper off as well, and its good that Edd didn't buy into the nonsense. He should just have his own mega-garage back in U.K and help thousands of car owners solve their issues, we all know he was born for it and people will pay even triple just for his orange gloves to create magic on their car.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 01:47   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Wheeler Dealers TV Show - Goodbye Edd China

Today I visited the Classic car & Restoration show in Birmingham. Very interesting. Talk of these three show days, Mike and Ed.

We bumped into them and listened to a couple of their public appearances. Everybody very polite and professional wishing the other guy all the best and looking forward to a making something new.

Apparently Mike, his wife and daughter have been getting death threats over this break up. Ridiculous, Ed put an excellent comment on his Youtube page.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 2nd April 2017 at 02:09.
Old 2nd April 2017, 23:01   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Some piccies I took yesterday at the Classic Car & Restoration show in Birmingham, UK.

Wheeler Dealers TV Show - Goodbye Edd China *EDIT: Edd’s back with Garage Revival!-p4012735.jpg

Wheeler Dealers TV Show - Goodbye Edd China *EDIT: Edd’s back with Garage Revival!-p4012755.jpg

You can read some more, especially on Mike and Ant’s live performance at the bottom of this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post4174943

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 22:07   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Here you can watch Mike and Ant. This is an edited version as the total live shows were a full half hour. Still interesting to hear his perspective

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 04:35   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I used to watch the Mike and Edd Duo diligently.
Edd always came out trumps with his superb restorations.
How I wish we could have an Edd out here in India!
Old 13th October 2017, 23:48   #25
BHPian

So, Season-14 started this week

There definitely was something missing, but on the whole, it wasn't as bad as it was expected to be.

That said, would've preferred the show stay in the UK & working on old, quaint, idiosyncratic, British cars.
Old 14th October 2017, 09:59   #26
BANNED

I quite liked him content, am not too fond of his boss. Let us wait and see. Change is part of life, for all you know the new chap will also offer the right mix in a new style.
Old 5th May 2018, 08:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Edd is back doing what he does best!

I watched that in one go and its amazing! The very best bits of Wheeler Dealers all in one great package.

Can't wait for the new episodes in this series.
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 09:10   #28
BHPian

Re: Wheeler Dealers TV Show - Goodbye Edd China *EDIT: Edd’s back with Garage Revival!

Headliner finished up by the owner's mates and probably not as taut as Edd would have wanted it to be.

Not that it would matter in any way about the success of the show.

Last edited by crdi : 6th May 2018 at 09:19. Reason: Added a comment.
Old 6th May 2018, 11:44   #29
BANNED

Re: Wheeler Dealers TV Show - Goodbye Edd China *EDIT: Edd’s back with Garage Revival!

He has got his 'metier'. I am sure it fits him better. Incidentally, who is carrying his new home in India. I for one will like to tune in asap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks