Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2020, 14:24   #16
BHPian

Re: Spy Pics: 2021 Mercedes S-Class (next-gen)

The current and previous gen s class' exterior design really had an air of elegance without being too loud or understated. With this new gen mercedes seems to move towards having a more loud design, similar to what bmw has been doing with the newer models.

The older and simpler designs will surely be missed.
The interiors definitely look like a good combination of super luxurious and futuristic, even with all the black cladding in the photos.
Turbolove is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 14:52   #17
BHPian

Like most new cars, this is also going to be a 'Let it grow on you' design. Not sure how I feel about that.

The headlamp cluster sort of reminds me of the W204 C class (if it's headlight was to be elongated) or even the F10 5 series to an extent.
Spy Pics: 2021 Mercedes S-Class Edit: now unveiled-download-1.jpeg
Spy Pics: 2021 Mercedes S-Class Edit: now unveiled-rt416a.jpg

The rear, on the other hand, is very uninspiring, does not feel as premium and sort of reminds me of the 2018 Sonata.
Spy Pics: 2021 Mercedes S-Class Edit: now unveiled-download.jpeg

The interior looks like a mix of tesla and range rover which is not a bad thing but it's just that the mighty S has always been the one that defines the design for the rest of their sedan line up for the next few years and hence, I miss it's distinct and unique design language which it has always had. I would have preferred an evolution of the current design over this 'all-new' design which does not look all that new to me. Then again, I am not a potential customer, so my view matters only so much. Maybe their research said that this is what buyers will seek in the next 2-3 years. I'd love to hear what current S-Class owners think of the new design.

Last edited by aaychat : 12th May 2020 at 14:58. Reason: Missing space between the and F10
aaychat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 15:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Can't help but feel saddened by this trend of eliminating physical buttons altogether. Didn't like it when Audi went this way, hate it when I see it on the Mercedes.

IMO, craftsmanship is what defines a luxury car and the primary contact points are the most important ways to convey this. The interiors of such a car should be a sensory experience - something that compels you to touch and feel all the surfaces, appreciate the beauty in the tiny details, savour the heft with which each tiny button operates or the smoothness of each leather hide. Look at the emphasis that Bentley and Rolls place on ensuring that every single contact point conveys this sense of quality.

I believe that the present-gen S-Class has one of the best interiors south of the Flying Spur - a brilliant blend of modern technology and classic luxury. You look at the interiors and you just perceive the beautiful tactile feel that each and every surface would have and you can see the thought and finesse that has gone into making the car. To me, somehow all of that is lost when contact points are replaced by a screen.

Nonetheless, I guess all of this is inevitable considering that this trend is widely appreciated by the masses. Saddens me immensely though.

Last edited by Batfreak : 12th May 2020 at 15:32.
Batfreak is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 15:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

It's time we accept that China is a huge market and automakers will try to design cars which please them, just like what BMW is doing with those big grills.

Although the exteriors are relatively fine, the dashboard inside looks U-G-L-Y. The current gen S-Class interiors look flamboyant in comparison.
Turbohead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 15:58   #20
BHPian

Is it just me who thinks that the current generation S-class looks more luxurious without that big Ipad in the centre, reminds me of Tesla. I don’t understand the new trend of how more futuristic designs are confused with luxury. IMHO, the current generation looks more elegant but things could be worse, they could have increased the size of that grill.
Old 12th May 2020, 16:12   #21
BHPian

The rear looks very Jap/ Korean in its design, definitely does not look imposing. Regarding the flat panels inside - I guess most OEMs will start doing that sooner or later but IMHO it takes away any character from the interiors.

There was a time when you changed your phone and it actually felt like a change - new colour, design, etc etc. whereas now if you change your phone, its just one giant glass block to another, maybe that's where the auto interiors are heading.
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 16:29   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

As an S class fan, wish this styling grows on me.

Sure these are scoop pics and can say for sure with official/professional pics and in real life.

But on these pics, the front looks like some generic Genesis model and the rear looks like the previous Corolla, ( thanks no doubt to the chrome bar ).
Frankly I just love the present Merc horizontal rear light design, as seen in the AMT GT, GLC, S class coupe et al. But here, the tail light design looks like the Skoda Scala, upcoming i20 like.

Can look past all these, if the interior design was classy, like the present and previous generations.
Hate all in one touchscreens, but the Landrover, high end VAG ones looks tastefully done.

This just looks like some china Tesla tablet that people retrofit into their old dashboards.

Love rest of the interiors, especially the side air vents, looks inspired from a 60s, 70s Merc.

But that huge tasteless tablet.

Hope Merc learns from the new Flying Spur, atleast for the Maybach versions.
DicKy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 16:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
The Epitome of Luxury lives on. First pictures of the 2021 Mercedes Benz S Class W223 break cover. The interiors look really hot with those plush seats and all technology around. But the exterior looks will surely take some time growing on you. Nevertheless will still be the best seller in it's segment.

India launch expected sometime in December 2020. Deliveries 2021 January onwards. Pricing 1.75cr+ onwards

Attachment 2005131
Attachment 2005132
Attachment 2005133
Attachment 2005134
Attachment 2005135
Attachment 2005136
What is this space for? behind the instrument cluster display?
Attached Thumbnails
Spy Pics: 2021 Mercedes S-Class Edit: now unveiled-11111.png  

Old 12th May 2020, 17:15   #24
BHPian

Interiors look a little too Audi-esque and not in a good way, but spy shots always warp the true beauty. Although it does look like they've switched the everlasting class of the W222 interiors for a Tesla vibe. Make of that what you will.

P.S. The design and interior is more becoming of an E-Class than an S.
Old 12th May 2020, 17:30   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajmore03 View Post
What is this space for? behind the instrument cluster display?
Glove box tray, will also double up as Heads up display (HUD) projector
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 17:48   #26
BHPian

Why ditch the physical buttons though? The dashboard and centre console look like a Volvo SUV or worse, a Tesla. I feel it lost the elegance of the S class. Or maybe it looks different in the photos and in person, it still might be elegant. After it's an S class.
Old 12th May 2020, 18:59   #27
BHPian

Pardon my poor observing skills, for me the sharp looking back tail lights were looking like improved version of old Audi A3's
Attached Thumbnails
Spy Pics: 2021 Mercedes S-Class Edit: now unveiled-2018_audi_a3_sedan_rearview.jpg  

Old 12th May 2020, 19:22   #28
BHPian

Silly Merc! How is this even a next gen! this is very much current 'gen'!!
A luxury car for the stupid 'gen'!
Personally, buttons, knobs, dials, switches makes the interior come alive! without even starting the damn ignition!! This interior looks so dead!! with slabs of black screens everywhere!!
Old 12th May 2020, 19:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First things first, was this spotted in India? I got to know from my friends within Daimler that MBRDI is doing a significant part of the software and interior hardware for all new Mercs especially the new MBUX system.

Ahead of the driver display, is that the screen for an Heads-Up display system? If they have a huge screen like HUD why do they still need to place a physical screen behind the steering wheel? Is there any homologation regulation for India or US or Europe?

The huge vertical screen reminds me of the latest generation Renault interior. No matter how advanced this screen system be, in my personal opinion the epitome of luxury cars like the Rolls Royce or the S Class should have a very elegant middle console and not a tech fest.
Old 12th May 2020, 19:35   #30
BHPian

I echo most BHPians thought regarding the interiors. The screen looks as if it has been lifted straight out of the chinese ix25.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...s-cover-15.jpg

Coming to the exteriors it looks like some stretched version of the upcoming A-class saloon.

This looks more like the A-class limousine that Mercedes is marketing the A-class saloon as in india.

Last edited by sv97 : 12th May 2020 at 19:49. Reason: Added image link of chinese ix25 for reference

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks