Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2018, 18:29   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Through my eyes - The automotive scene in China!

To add some more data to this marvelous thread....

1. From 2002 to 2016, annual sales of trucks, buses and passenger cars in China grew at double-digit annual growth rates in most of the 14 years from approximately 2 million units to over 28 million units.

2. In 2017, the industry grew at a much slower pace of 3%. Nonetheless, the large scale of China’s auto industry meant that China’s auto industry increased by almost 900,000 vehicles, even at the lower growth rate.

3. The Govt. has a policy around New Energy Vehicles (NEV) which require all producers and importers to have 10% of their sales from NEVs failing which their authorized volumes of ICE vehicles will be chopped down. every two years the percentage will be increased. The next jump for now is to 12%.

4. In 2017 sales of NEVs increased by 53% to 777,000, a figure which does not include the 1.3 million low-speed electric vehicles that are increasingly popular in China’s Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities. By comparison, just under 200,000 NEVs were sold last year in the United States, the world’s second-largest auto market.

5. NEVs get a Central Govt subsidy of between ~USD3000 to 6000 per vehicle.

The playbook for the future growth and configuration of not only the auto industry but the cars themselves will be strongly influenced by China in my personal opinion. That country's determined push towards NEVs could make it a leader in this new arena. Lets keep in mind that in two other clean energy industries - manufacture of solar panels/farms and wind turbines China is the world's largest producer. I guess in the near future Chinese auto manufacturers will set up factories in USA just like Japan did in the 1970s.

Quite likely that India's shift to EVs could be led by Chinese auto makers. Responding to the question in post number 31 - the reason China will hold trade talks with India is because they would like to have a share in all 3 of the big markets - USA, Japan, EU and India.

Time to get familiar with all the names here!
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 21:17   #47
Senior - BHPian

What happened to all the bicycles?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 28th April 2018, 22:42   #48
BHPian

Brilliant thread.

After seeing the pics of Chinese cars, our Indian cars market look so boring. Was there a PT Cruiser in one of the pic? Chinese car market has surpassed N American. I had reservations about Chinese cars in India, but no more. I had two Chinese Citizens in my class. They were from affluent background or may I say their family we're part of Chinese bureaucracy. Chinese people are very productive or may I say very very hardworking, which is why the prosperity, cars, roads and bullet train.
Old 29th April 2018, 03:19   #49
Team-BHP Support

A superb thread and an eye opener for all who keep on comparing China and India! Most of the cars look better than what we see in India.
Old 29th April 2018, 10:29   #50
BHPian

That was one hell of an effort, thanks for sharing. There are too many options for every buyer. Car buying in China will have to be a tricky job.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 30th April 2018 at 04:13. Reason: Corrected 2 to 'too'.
Old 29th April 2018, 13:50   #51
Senior - BHPian

More than the cars just look at the road infrastructure. Properly marked scientifically designed roads and signages. In India we are more than happy if we just get a black totally unmarked road, markings or design, we do not care.
Old 2nd May 2018, 21:53   #52
BHPian

Man this thread got me nostalgic of my China trip in 2006!

I had to dig up my external hard disk and browse through archives of 2006.

I dug out few pics. These are 12 year old pictures!
1. Cherry V5
Through my eyes - The automotive scene in China!-cherry-v5.jpg

2. Chrysler 300C
Through my eyes - The automotive scene in China!-chevrolet-300c.jpg

3. Cherry A5
Through my eyes - The automotive scene in China!-cherry-a5.jpg

4. Buick
Through my eyes - The automotive scene in China!-image069.jpg

And few pics of parking lot
Through my eyes - The automotive scene in China!-image112.jpg

Through my eyes - The automotive scene in China!-image113.jpg

Through my eyes - The automotive scene in China!-image115.jpg
daretodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 23:21   #53
BHPian

This is an excellent collection indeed and goes without saying . Having visited China a few times, I have seen many of these and the Chinese brands have made massive progress in recent past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I have no clue on what basis we're comparing ourselves to China again and again
In 2005 we were roughly a decade behind but now in 2018 we are nearly 20 years behind China.

The amount of investment they have made in private and public transportation is stunning! This has also been backed up by their investments in R&D in this period and some of the work that is underway is absolutely next gen. For example, there are projects being researched on solar highways wherein roads will in fact be made of solar panels and cars may be able to charge on the go! We were told in one such meeting that this project may become a reality in less than a decade.

Just look at what they have done to the price of solar energy by wide-spreading R&D and production! They are also two generations ahead in terms of efficiency and emissions benchmarking. For a communist country, they have been more sensitive to criticism of air pollution and the likes while we continue to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Cycles are back in the form of shared mobility via QR and apps. They are everywhere and absolutely comfortable and user friendly. They are not seen on main avenues due to restrictions and access control in main avenues like Chang'an Avenue which is equivalent of Rajpath in India.

Edit: The reason why large number of Chinese buy cars in cash is corruption and a relatively bad banking system as well.

Last edited by avingodb : 2nd May 2018 at 23:30.
avingodb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 09:24   #54
SRT
BHPian

What a Fantastic compilation!

The variety of models and 100s of brands will definitely make the car selection a tough job there.

Rman, which car can you say as the most eye catcher among all these, to a layman?
Old 8th May 2018, 10:35   #55
BHPian

The narrowest platform driven across on two wheels in a car is 80 cm (31.5 in) and was achieved by Li Long (China) on the set of CCTV-Guinness World Records Special in Kaifeng, Henan, China on 22 December 2015 in a Chery Karry K50S MPV.

It was an outdoor filming for CCTV-Guinness World Records Special.
Fulcrum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 23:58   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEM3R View Post
///RMan

The green E93 M3 looks suspect to me.
Also the Brabus G wagon looks like another local product parading as a Mercedes G
The M3 indeed does look fishy. But the exhausts, vents and everything else looked fairly legit. But you never know. These guys can replicate ANYTHING!
About the G, I think it was legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonyooty View Post
Kudos man . Kudos. This deserve the best rating. Just show's how far China has grown as country. Streets ahead. My total perception of that country has changed. We in India try to compare ourselves to China,but the fact is that we would be comparing chalk and cheese.
Thank You. I was blown away with their road infrastructure. And what my dad tells me is, most of the development has happened in the past 7~8 years at breath taking pace. He said, during his first trip to China around 12 years ago, the roads were not too different than our roads. Which makes it even more commendable IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
To add some more data to this marvelous thread....

1. From 2002 to 2016, annual sales of trucks, buses and passenger cars in China grew at double-digit annual growth rates in most of the 14 years from approximately 2 million units to over 28 million units.

2. In 2017, the industry grew at a much slower pace of 3%. Nonetheless, the large scale of China’s auto industry meant that China’s auto industry increased by almost 900,000 vehicles, even at the lower growth rate.

3. The Govt. has a policy around New Energy Vehicles (NEV) which require all producers and importers to have 10% of their sales from NEVs failing which their authorized volumes of ICE vehicles will be chopped down. every two years the percentage will be increased. The next jump for now is to 12%.

4. In 2017 sales of NEVs increased by 53% to 777,000, a figure which does not include the 1.3 million low-speed electric vehicles that are increasingly popular in China’s Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities. By comparison, just under 200,000 NEVs were sold last year in the United States, the world’s second-largest auto market.

5. NEVs get a Central Govt subsidy of between ~USD3000 to 6000 per vehicle.

The playbook for the future growth and configuration of not only the auto industry but the cars themselves will be strongly influenced by China in my personal opinion. That country's determined push towards NEVs could make it a leader in this new arena. Lets keep in mind that in two other clean energy industries - manufacture of solar panels/farms and wind turbines China is the world's largest producer. I guess in the near future Chinese auto manufacturers will set up factories in USA just like Japan did in the 1970s.

Quite likely that India's shift to EVs could be led by Chinese auto makers. Responding to the question in post number 31 - the reason China will hold trade talks with India is because they would like to have a share in all 3 of the big markets - USA, Japan, EU and India.

Time to get familiar with all the names here!
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting data and numbers there. And yes, they are betting BIG on EVs. At the rate they are pushing for electric transportation and infra to back it up, they will over-take Tesla and it's contemporaries in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Loads of them all around, did not click any tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
A superb thread and an eye opener for all who keep on comparing China and India! Most of the cars look better than what we see in India.
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
That was one hell of an effort, thanks for sharing. There are too many options for every buyer. Car buying in China will have to be a tricky job.
And I have not even clicked many other brands. I'm sure car buying will be a long tedious process with the plethora of options available in a certain price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
More than the cars just look at the road infrastructure. Properly marked scientifically designed roads and signages. In India we are more than happy if we just get a black totally unmarked road, markings or design, we do not care.
Absolutely! I've already mentioned and I will again, the roads are nothing short of a dream to drive on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
Man this thread got me nostalgic of my China trip in 2006!
I had to dig up my external hard disk and browse through archives of 2006.
Wow! Those cars look so dated. And yes, there is no China visit complete without sitting/seeing a Buick GL8! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
This is an excellent collection indeed and goes without saying . Having visited China a few times, I have seen many of these and the Chinese brands have made massive progress in recent past.
In 2005 we were roughly a decade behind but now in 2018 we are nearly 20 years behind China.

The amount of investment they have made in private and public transportation is stunning! This has also been backed up by their investments in R&D in this period and some of the work that is underway is absolutely next gen. For example, there are projects being researched on solar highways wherein roads will in fact be made of solar panels and cars may be able to charge on the go! We were told in one such meeting that this project may become a reality in less than a decade.

Just look at what they have done to the price of solar energy by wide-spreading R&D and production! They are also two generations ahead in terms of efficiency and emissions benchmarking. For a communist country, they have been more sensitive to criticism of air pollution and the likes while we continue to

Cycles are back in the form of shared mobility via QR and apps. They are everywhere and absolutely comfortable and user friendly. They are not seen on main avenues due to restrictions and access control in main avenues like Chang'an Avenue which is equivalent of Rajpath in India.
Edit: The reason why large number of Chinese buy cars in cash is corruption and a relatively bad banking system as well.
Very well quoted! Cycles and two wheelers are aplenty. And the best part is, they do not come on the roads due to they having dedicated lanes. Makes the driving experience way better just due to this factor alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
What a Fantastic compilation!
The variety of models and 100s of brands will definitely make the car selection a tough job there.

Rman, which car can you say as the most eye catcher among all these, to a layman?
Thank You. The variety is mind boggling indeed.
As for you question, it is a really tough one, but in the 'non-Chinese', non exotic marques, the Cadillacs and Teslas look superb. And amongst the Chinese manufacturers, it would be a tie between the Lynk & Co SUVs and the post 2017 Haval/Wey SUVs for their interior build quality and well designed exteriors.
///RMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 16:07   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are interested to have a peek at the Auto scene in down under,
https://jalopnik.com/here-are-some-v...rne-1825289185

Nice photo blog.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks