Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2006, 11:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cars with 7 digits on their odometer (over 1 million kms / miles)

Yesterday's "The Hindu" newspaper had this article :

"Million miles :
A travelling salesman who put more than a million miles on his 1989 Saab is getting a new one from the Swedish automaker."

A million miles
That is like 15lakh kilometres in 17years. Now that is some mileage on the odometer. Its like almost 1lakh kms every year. And that was some travelling he did for a living.

Contrast this with the mileage we did on our car. In 19 years, we did a measly 52000 kms.

And here we talk of cars doing 1-2 lakh kms as a big deal.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2006, 11:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

As per news reports, this guy voluntarily donated his SAAB to the SAAB museum and was upset that in return he did not even get a free SAAB T-shirt.

Upon hearing htis, SAAB officials decided to gift him a spandin new SAAB 9-5.

Whats more, SAAB has announced that this offer is open for all original owners of million mile SAABs.

Read this article on motoring.co.za - Home
Old 21st December 2006, 14:51   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

But still has a long long way to go.
Original 1965 Volvo Driving Towards 3rd Millionth Mile; Olympic Sportscaster's Multi-Million Mile 1800 Volvo Coupe Keeps Going & Going

Highest I have read about is a Volvo .. 3 million. IIRC, they have a club for the million+ milers.
Old 21st December 2006, 15:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Highest I have read about is a Volvo .. 3 million. IIRC, they have a club for the million+ milers.
Wow!!! And I thought the 1 million on a Saab was a great thing. Hmmm.
Old 21st December 2006, 16:52   #5
BHPian

The volvo will hit it's 3rd Million in 2012 - another 6 years away. But impressive still! And i've got a 60 k run Siena!

Superavi
Old 9th July 2012, 18:17   #6
BHPian

180 miles a day, 46 years and counting

Irvin Gordon's beautiful 1966 Volvo P1800S is closing in on its 3 millionth mile.

The 46 year old car has the equivalent of nearly 1176 circumnavigations and is apparently still going well.

Over its 46 years of age this car has done an average of ~5300 miles a month, which is an incredible amount of running.

I do not see why Irvin - a school teacher by profession - would need to drive an average of 180 miles a day year after year, but that is none of my business.

Check out the article at: NY man nears 3 millionth mile in beloved '66 Volvo - Yahoo! News
Attached Thumbnails
Cars with 7 digits on their odometer (over 1 million kms / miles)-10072201irv_gordon_with_his_1966_volvo_p1800_with_2800000_miles650x393.jpg  

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 9th July 2012 at 18:42.
NinadJoshi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th July 2012, 18:56   #7
BHPian

re: 180 miles a day, 46 years and counting

That sure is some miles in the car!! And it speaks volumes of the core competency of Volvos i.e. quality control. That being said, one has to just take a look at the car to realise that it is very well looked after and that must be another reason for the car behaving the way it has.
Old 9th July 2012, 19:39   #8
BHPian

WoW!! Thats amazing. Credits are due to Volvo and of course Mr. Irvin Gordon!!

We talk about replacing cars at 40-50 thousand kms and here's a guy who is happily clocking insane miles in a car of that age and 3 mil miles (not even km)!!!! Hats off! That guy must love that car more than his life. Thats passion. And what does he do, I mean travelling so much. Pretty sure he does't drive 180 km everyday, but must be going for insane long trips each month or just something like that!!! We should gift him our Team-BHP"LIVE TO DRIVE" sticker

Cheers to Mr. Gordon!

P.S. - Love his custom number plate

Last edited by thumpingheart : 9th July 2012 at 19:41. Reason: typo
Old 9th July 2012, 20:04   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

What an amazing car. While in Sweden I saw some Volvo taxis with 400,000 kms on the clock and I thought that was some mileage. But it pales in comparison to this car.

I don't think they make even European cars like this anymore.
Old 9th July 2012, 21:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: 180 miles a day, 46 years and counting

I am not sure about the authenticity of this report , moreover the mechanical odometer will not record anything over 999999 miles. For argument sake even if we believe this report is true then also I am sure by this time all the moving parts of a car would surely have to be replaced. I have seen quite a few Ford taxis and Toyota's over 300,000 miles.
Old 9th July 2012, 22:45   #11
BHPian

It's authentic all right.I read this 6 months ago and researched about the guy online.short story is that he is now a retired teacher who works as a kind of consultant for Volvo marketing. He drives around the country to auto shows and Volvo events! And Volvo give him a new car everytime he does a million miles.!! Cars were built to last and easily serviceable earlier. As a corollary check out any old BULLET motorcycle being built from the ground up in your local BULLET workshop. Its all metal held together by nuts and bolts!
drsingh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 11:48   #12
BHPian

Re: 180 miles a day, 46 years and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I am not sure about the authenticity of this report , moreover the mechanical odometer will not record anything over 999999 miles. For argument sake even if we believe this report is true then also I am sure by this time all the moving parts of a car would surely have to be replaced. I have seen quite a few Ford taxis and Toyota's over 300,000 miles.

The report indeed is authentic. Please do check the "Record-Breaking 1800" in the wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_P1800 .

Car looks stunning and I feel Volvo should think of building a modern-day version of it.
21Archer84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 16:19   #13
BHPian

Volvo hits over 575,000 miles without a breakdown

I was browsing through automotive news recently and found this very interesting post about the reliability of Volvo cars. I haven't heard of any other car that has clocked 5,75,000 miles i.e almost 10,00,000 km without a breakdown . Here is the complete news :

"When Simon Marshall invested £5,500 in a second-hand Volvo six years ago, he had no idea what a shrewd decision he was making.
For the ultra-reliable car has carried him and his family for a whopping 415,000 miles ? without ever breaking down.

The V70 D5 SE already had 170,000 miles on the clock when Mr Marshall took possession of it. And the two figures combined mean the car has travelled 585,000 miles or almost a million kilometres ? a distance roughly equal to a trip to the moon and back!

Mr Marshall, 49, has had to fork out £3,000 on minor repairs, servicing and tyres over the years ? but those were expenses any vehicle would incur.

And not surprisingly he's become quite attached to the car. He told the Daily Telegraph: "I took a chance because it was a bargain. I never imagined I would get so many miles out of it.

"I have become very fond of it, and friends refer to it as my Viking Long Boat. It has never left me stranded on the side of the motorway and I have every faith in it getting me from A to B safely."

Most of the car's components have never had to be replaced ? the engine, exhaust, turbo and alternator are all the originals. But 400,000 miles ago, Mr Marshall did have to cough up for a second-hand gearbox, which set him back about £800.

A private hire driver, he uses it for work and it has been abroad fairly frequently, ferrying him and his family around Europe on holidays.

He told the Telegraph: "If someone wanted a lift to the south of France right now, I would have no hesitation in going with this car. It is the most reliable vehicle I have ever known and I have complete faith in it."

Mr Marshall now wants to reach the million-mile landmark. Speaking to Mail Online, he confirmed: "I plan to keep driving the Volvo around as long as I can ? it would be a shame to part with it now."

A Volvo spokesman said Mr Marshall's story demonstrated the "durability and quality built into every Volvo".

Source : http://cars.aol.co.uk/2014/06/11/v/
Attached Thumbnails
Cars with 7 digits on their odometer (over 1 million kms / miles)-caters_most_miles_06.jpg  

harsh.m06 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 17:18   #14
BHPian

Re: Volvo hits over 575,000 miles without a breakdown

Unbelievable! I wish all vehicles were built like a Volvo. Looking at the car now you would hardly believe that it has covered so many kilometers. The owner still swears by its reliability which talks volumes about the trust in the brand.
Old 12th June 2014, 17:25   #15
BHPian

Re: Volvo hits over 575,000 miles without a breakdown

Lets see other brands try and learn from this now. Quality can make people vouch for a brand which in turn can bring a lot of customers. Its frankly mind boggling to see really. 575000 miles and counting...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks