Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2018, 09:32   #1
BANNED

Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray

The too long to read version of the story is I ended up in Kentucky for professional reasons, the American heartland as most of you know.
Kentucky as it should be almost universal by now is world famous fried chicken (Hello KFC !). Coming to a place you know nothing about and where you don't belong for professional reasons is quite a challenge. How could you possibly kill time in a land that's no California or New York City ?

A gentleman I knew happened to lend me his Chevy Corvette 2016 Stingray Z51 when I told him I was bored out of my mind without knowing what to do in the state of Kentucky. This is probably one of best surprises I've received so far. We've known each other long enough so the trust our relationship imbued somehow managed to parlay into a childhood wet-dream being realized.

Good morning Kentucky
Our journey starts in Newport, Kentucky. Which is a northern most city on the border of the Ohio River adjacent to the town of Cincinnati, OHIO.
Ohio, being the economic hub it is, is quite irrelevant to my joy riding as despite its significance - Kentucky is still much more desolate and more of a rural backwater compared to Ohio, is way more gorgeous scenery wise.
The long winding roads, the surreal lush greenery and fall colors and empty rural stretches without traffic - the roads of Kentucky were just a match made in heaven for the Vette.

I've had the opportunity to have the car with me for 3 days - and here's what I've been through. It's one of the most memorable weekends of my life and it gave me a glimpse not only into vehicles but how a proper car can make one's life much richer. We shall shatter at least some critiques of automotive related materialism here because I have been on the receiving end of a lot of emotions and memories that make life much more enthusing.

The car's specs:

Model: 2016 Corvette Z51 Stingray
Seating Capacity: 2
Horsepower: 460 hp
Engine: 6.2 L V8
MPG: Up to 17 city / 29 highway
Wheel Size: Front 19″ diameter, 8.5″ width; rear 20″ diameter, 10″ width
Gearbox: 8 Speed - that's right. 8 SPEEDS.

Day 1
I started the day with the pick-up of the car at said gentleman's house. Just getting into the car was a challenge itself. I have never driven anything even close to this and one learns that low-slung cars are a challenge to manage. You literally have to dive into the seats as opposed to just sitting down without making an effort as you'd in a normal car. The Corvette is so low-slung, it makes a Honda Civic feel like you're driving a truck. I've parked the Vette next to a friend's car at his apartment to give you an idea of just how low it is to the floor.
However, all this doesn't come without its own share of negatives. Due to the low-slung nature - there is a titanic headache that includes the car being extremely sensitive and prone to picking up grime, dust, and general dirt on the road which I will discuss later.

Once I get into the car I've still have not driven away from the parking lot for a proper 10 minutes. I had to learn the cockpit and just being so low-slung and the awkwardness of being in a different car kicked in - so much so that the gentlemen who lended it asked me if everything is ok.
It happens. The Vette has such width and the low-slung nature of it just dazes your senses if you are not accustomed to being seated so low.

Since it's raining on Day 1 - I could barely do much with the car. Taking the hard-top off and making it a convertible would've been impractical and flooring it around the winding roads of Kentucky would've been equally pointless. The car does come equipped with TCS and a WET driving mode - but since the Vette is solely RWD and the rear tires never were wide enough to inspire confidence, I drove around the hills of Kentucky near Alexandria till it was supper time when I wanted to go surprise my friend who had no idea what car I'd be taking him to dinner in.

Fear kicks in - the Corvette is NOT YOUR FRIEND. It is an entity by itself to be respected. You truly may lose control.
What became very apparent to me on day 1 when it was raining and cloudy is that the Vette is not a forgiving car to drive.
In the wets, on rural roads, I did floor the throttle and around corners the rear slid. The back will gladly step out on you if you don't know when to step on the pedal or to take the foot off. Fortunately, yours truly was driving on country roads, mostly empty.

Supper time Day 1:
I've showed up at a good friend's apartment asking him to dress well as we're not only going to a proper Lebanese restaurant in the area, but one of the best restaurants in Northern Cincinnati, Ohio. The Phoenician Tavern is a Lebanese restaurant in Mason, Ohio. Mason is an upscale area and is frequented by many discerning individuals. Procter & Gamble, which is a Fortune 500 firm has one of their offices in the area and anybody that's a somebody in a radius of 100 miles will be spending a Friday night here.

As my friend comes out of his apartment waiting to be picked up I tell him I have a fancy car to drive for the weekend. My friend who is not a gearhead or an automotive enthusiast isn't discerning about cars nor does he care. So I walk him to a Honda FIT - a hatchback econobox that he has no idea is just a joke and tell him this is the weekend getaway car. At first he seems to believe me then he knows it's a joke. As I start laughing I then walk him over to the Stingray 6.2L 460 HP parked in the lot - and though he isn't an enthusiast or a car guy his eyes just pop and he's in total shock and goes WOW "Dude this car is freaking amazing".

As we're seated, all he could do is talk about what a car it is and the sound it makes. Generally we listen to music as we drive but with the windows rolled down, and the grumble and roar of the Vette accompanies us to the restaurant, he decides it's better to listen to the engine.

The car that even non-enthusiasts cannot help but remark about
The Vette does that. You do not have to be a car person or a gearhead to understand its sexiness and its sheer attractive nature. But the road-presence and the unmistaken silhoutte tends to bring out the automobile enthusiast in those that just see a vehicle as method of transport and nothing more.

Drama on the highway to the restaurant - how about a game of slip N slide, no - not the amusement park. In a real car.
It's day 1 and the highway to Mason, Ohio from Kentucky is littered with rain and puddles and this is where the Corvette shows its true nature. During a slight moment of acceleration, I downshift to 3rd gear from 4th and the entire rear end steps out and the engine follows the abrupt jerking motion with a giant POP WHRRRR GGRRRRR VARRROOMMMMMMM sound.

It was an absolutely terrifying scene as to feel 50% of your rear end of the car move to the side at 80 MPH is not something you're used to. My friend is equally alarmed and his eyelids expand and he beams at me as he asks : " DUDE WAS THAT INTENTIONAL PLEASE TELL ME THAT WAS INTENTIONAL ? " . As much as he knew I was toying with the car for the heck of it so he expected dramatics - he also knew that sports cars do things that aren't safe.

I lie to my passenger about my ability to handle the car - an admission of embarrassment that scares even me
I told him yes to reduce his concern - but the truth was far from reality. Actually, when I downshifted from 4th, I did not expect the rear to step out. The Vette is geared such that the enormous power means that if you shift down in the wrong weather, there is enough wheelspin in the back at the top end of the RPM range - there will be wheelspin and the front wheels and back wheels be in total mismatch. In rain, it is only logical for the back to move out. For those of you who've driven such cars - you know how horrific the feeling of fishtailing can be, especially if it's non-intentional.

The Corvette will make a well-dressed brown skinned man in a firang/gora nation feel like royalty
As we arrive at the restaurant, I tell my dhost Mizbah. Dude, we could tell these people that we're from the royal family of Qatar and based on what we're driving in and how we're dressed, they'll believe it. Mizbah laughs it off.

A little bit about rural America
For those of you who haven't seen enough of America - desis/Indians/Pakistanis/Middle Easterners are all one big brown family to the gora eye. They cannot distinguish. So since dono brown men were dressed well and were about to drive up to an upscale restaurant in a car that clearly required some level of financial heft to afford, the joke felt apt. Just in case you guys think I'm self-infatuated.

The drive back to dropping my friend off - cannot remember much - so the day shall end here.

Day 2 - time to take the top off. No rain. Pure sunny skies and warm weather. Time hear the 6.2L V8 properly.
Fortunately the weather was sunny and quite warm. A perfect day to do what I've been wanting to do for a long time - take the top off. No - not that top. The top off the Vette, yes, that top. Driving a convertible I realized, comes with its own challenges if you drive a hard-top. A soft-top can be removed with the push of a button as it contracts and expands. But a hard-top ? That's a physical manual remove and installation procedure.
I am happy to say that the Vette's rear and trunk-space is large enough to hold the hard-top, but the front passenger seat has to be moved forward about 6 inches. This is a huge learning lesson as this prevented one of my friends from joining me on the ride. He is a 6 foot 3 inch figure who weighs 190 lbs.

Trivial facts of the Vette - learned on an as you go basis from day 2

1. Larger passengers cannot be fit in properly to enjoy the car The Vette cannot accompany big passengers if you have the hard-top in the rear and the passenger seat is moved forward. Anyone less than 5 feet 8 inches can fit.

2. The Vette's driving physics change with a hefty sized passenger - shock to me given the engine capabilityThe Vette is very much reactive to weight as a big, hefty passenger does affect the driving characteristics of the car. Despite being 460 HP, when my tall friend joined me - it became apparent to me the car was less prone to wheelspin and the sliding ability of the rear had lessened. My 6 foot 3 Inch friend was serious ballast. You would think a 460 HP car can power both bodies but if I've learned anything - it's that weight does affect the characteristics.

Drive up to Beckjord coal-power plant in Ohio for a photo session
I wanted to get great pictures of the car with a gorgeous mammoth power plant facility behind it and happened to find it - now decommissioned. The reason for this is - at a desolate location, nobody would stare awkwardly and mess up my photos with their glances and looks. It was just me and the Vette. After Beckjord plant photo shoot - it's a drive into the hills of Kentucky, which I've managed to capture on video.

Lessons from the 'Vette, as it's known in American parlance.

Gearbox modes: Eco, Tour, Sport, Track (In order of conservative order)

Plastics & Interior: Disappointing. As is the norm in American cars. You would think a car like this would have the finest of suede materials or Alcantaras like the Lamborghinis or at least - material that you can find on XBOXes or PS3s consoles. Nope. It shows how typical and crass American interior can be . Anybody who has driven a GM or Chevy product knows what I'm talking about. Even the PUSH TO START button is quite dull looking. The leather is fine but the plastics are the norm. Disappointing to say the least given the price of the car. American interiors are something, and I mean that in a negative sense.

Driving Characteristics:
Corners: The rear will slip and fish tail. The car has oodles of torque - and even in the wet with TCS on the rear stepped out. The Vette is a rear wheel drive car, and it cannot handle a corner as you'd expect it to. During the three days I had it, the rear stepped out on me TWICE in normal road conditions. You have to absolutely know what you do to the throttle - or it's just a matter of time before you end up like a Paul Walker - except you'd have crashed at lower speeds with less drama.

Straights: The biggest complaint I have with this car is that it is extremely bumpy at high speeds. The Corvette can take off like a SCUD Missile with much drama. Wheelspin, the smell of tires burning is something I experienced. At the same time I found the ride to be stiff - as is normal with any supercar. The issue is even at high speeds it ought to be comfortable (or maybe is that asking for too much ? )

1. It can be a very unforgiving car depending on how you configure it:

A. Death wish: TCS Off + Sport Mode + slightly damp or wet weather , the car will slip and slide if you accelerate quickly. VRRRRRGRR POP (GEAR shifting sound at high speeds sounds like a gun shot).
If you try cornering with TCS Off + Track/Sport Mode, the rear will slide and fish tail. If you want to risk suicide, turn TCS Off and get into Sport Mode, and just slam the accelerator pedal in a small and narrow road parked with cars.

B. Shifting lanes is horrible: Visibility is poor when shifting lanes or reversing. It's part of the life. You wanted the sporty looks and low slung silhoutte ? Well, the driver will pay the price for that. You can barely see anything when you turn your head or out the rear. At times I was asking my passenger if he had any cars to his side.

3. An absolute beast of an engine : Even in 5th gear, this thing WILL PULL. THE POWER IS JUST THERE WHEN YOU PUSH THE PEDAL. Imagine slamming the accelerator pedal in 3rd gear in any normal car. The Vette will pull and deliver in 5th gear , any time. The 6.2 Liter V8 makes sure that oodles and oodles of torque are delivered to the rear wheels.

4. Forget the BOSE system inside for audio, nothing beats the system in the tailpipes quad! The roar and growl and backfires are amazing. This was driven downtown and many turned their heads just to see it.

Most of all - my biggest experience over the weekend was the ability to feel like Shah Rukh Khan

5. The Corvette has instant celebrity factor thanks to the looks and sounds - if you ever need a self-esteem boost, just drive a Vette : Over the weekend, here are my experiences from the general public:

A. Random passerby in a car honks at me , sticks his hand out his window with a thumbs up sign.
B. Lady spots me returning to the car after getting out to throw some trash I had in the passenger seat, tells me she'll do that for me (return to the car).
C. Drive-through at fast food place Chick-Fil-A involves person in drive-thru window telling me it's a "gorgeous car".
D. Homeless man approaches me for help but before he does, tells me it's a great car.
E. Challenged on the road by fellow gearheads - one guy starts revving his engine at me - he pulls up in a Dodge SUV and starts revving his engine to challenge me on the highway.
F. Kid shows me the perfect sign when passing a school - index finger and thumb form a circle and the rest of the fingers are up . In case anyone forgot the perfect hand sign .
G. Kids ask me to revv the engine as I pass a mall parking lot with them
H. Stopped at conveniences store Wal-Greens only to be asked by someone at the counter if the car was mine. I said yes and he said well that's a gorgeous car.

Negative shock of all things:

I. I was stalked by some college kid in an Acura who wanted to challenge me on the road - was so annoyed I floored the pedal and disappeared as his sedan couldn't catch up. Now I know how those Ferrari drivers in India feel. I can understand liking someone else's car. But driving aggressively to catch up and play games is really childish not to mention dangerous. Driving sports cars, I learned for the first time in my life, comes with its own set of challenges.

J. Police Magnet: In Kentucky I was followed by a cop car for 1.5 miles. Thankfully I did not slip in behavior or crack under nervousness so I didn't ruin my day, to his misfortune. I guess he was just toying with me to tell me that I'm still nothing in front of him - with my license plate " FUN RID" and a sporty image, I was just asking to have my ego checked. Now he wanted to taunt me.

The gist of it is - and I haven't driven other cars in this class to tell, is: The Corvette is a brilliant car that everyone should have the opportunity to drive. The road presence, the sounds it makes, and the sheer level of fun it induces is a bang for the buck. Why ?

Practicality: The reason I say this is because during my wet runs on rainy mornings, I found that much dirt and grime was scuffed up to the side-skirts of the car, right underneath the door panel. There was visible grime and dust that stuck to it - so much so that the owner had laminated stickers placed so the real paint layer would not be scratched by what was being chucked up towards the panel. Imagine driving a Ferrari F12 - would you really like to have stains and scratches put up on it on a weekly basis ? The Corvette won't cost a bombshell to repaint or maintain. The most amazing revelation to me during the drive was that low-slung cars are very prone to damage especially at the underbody, rims (the bigger the rims and wider the tyre, the more chance of scuffing up the chrome).

Call it a poor man's Ferrari, but it gets the job done. My only complaint is the size of the fuel tank. I managed to empty a gas tank in less than 8 hours of driving, and I wasn't even inter-city driving ! I can't imagine the plight of someone who wants a Vette for long distance driving or cross-country experiences.

Lastly, three bits

Females are very cognizant of cars - unfortunately it seems true that you can indeed impress a girl with a nice car
Of all the people that orally and verbally commented on the car - 3/4 were female. i am used
to orthodox thinking - since men are uninterested in female fashion such as handbags and dresses, women may be unconcerned of all things automative. this is untrue. Females can recognize the beauty of a car and they are very cognizant of nice cars.

Sports cars are on another end of a spectrum in the comfort rating and quality of ride ranking - you do not drive a beast for comfort
This isn't an exaggeration. I actually stopped at a friend's house for a break because my spine and back hurt from all the vibrations. 19 inch rims and low profile tires aren't a joke, especially when the suspension is stiff and there is no comfort mode. Every nook and cranny of a crack on a road or a pothole is translated into your spine and it is highly highly unpleasant. Every sub-par road is a spinal cord test.

The engine gets so hot you can feel the heat from the floorboard and center cockpit divider. Plus you can smell burning tires ifyou incur wheelspin.
I stopped the car for a while after driving around for a while because I was scared the car would burn. The 6.2 L V8 isn't a joke. The car's interior gets hot to some extent. You can definitely feel the heat emanating from the floorboard.

After driving this - the Indian in me actually laughs at those who drive sports cars in India. Who are you kidding ? It's great you have the money, but do you have the spine to bear the brunt ?

Video - now you must understand the sounds as a Turk and an Bharatvasi disturb the peace in a rural Kentucky neighborhood. If you don't watch the entire video fine - but whatever you do don't forget the gearshift noise from 1:09 - 1:11. I could have gone flat out but the adult in me reminded me that life is too short to have mindless levels of fun. I was being restrained the whole time and this is how it sounded. Cannot even imagine driving in Michael Shumacher style.

Gearshift knob, nothing too special here.

Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-gearshift.jpg
Plastics, that don't seem to match the price. Hallmark of American vehicles ?

Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-cheapplastics.jpg

TCS Off/On button with mode selection.

Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5305.jpg

Center console and cockpit divider. The material you find on the controller of a proper AC or a XBOX is better in my opinion. Believe it or not the divider gets hot after considerable usage. Since it's RWD, heat from the drivetrain may be transmitted .

Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5289.jpg

The digital tachometer was always a confusion for me.

Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5310.jpg

The Vette Stingray has an unmistakable front, distinct from regular Vettes.

Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5421.jpg

You'd wish for Lamborghini doors on this. I scraped a curb as I opened the door gently.

Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-rear.jpg

Look how close the seat is to the ground. Getting in isn't a hassle - getting out is. I felt like I had to be pulled out ! Getting out of the Corvette requires effort.
Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5415.jpg
Vette at Beckjord power plant.
Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5424.jpg

Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5422.jpg
Machine meets nature. A perfect place to get alone and intimate with the Vette and a camera.
Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5239.jpg

Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5414.jpg
I love this picture because it gives you an idea of how low the car is. That is indeed a Honda Civic to the left.
Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5530.jpg
Dropping the top and shoving it into the trunk, front passenger seat was moved as forward as possible. making it not possible for my 6 foot 3 inch passenger to join.
Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5528.jpg
You can see the differences in seat alignment due to having to fit the top.

Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5529.jpg
Silhoutte. unmistakable.
Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5532.jpg
Specially parked the car in a garage at night that cost me $30 a night. if i left it on the street - god knows what would've happened.
Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5444.jpg
Funny interaction with the old man standing next to the Audi S3 - I mockingly complimented him on his RS3 - he said still cant top that (referring to the vette)
Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5279.jpg
The way the hood opens adds to the sheer dramatics that entails the Vette.

Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5285.jpg
Trunk space. Quite literally the weirdest trunk I've seen. It gets the job done.

Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5280.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5197.jpg  

Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray-img_5526.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 11th November 2018 at 16:54. Reason: Pakistanis
D33-PAC is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 07:12   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the International Scene. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10th November 2018, 15:24   #3
BHPian

Beauty and the beast rolled into one. One place where a picture would make great sense for this - Churchill downs! Will out-gallop all the horses put together with its own on-board horses!

Thanks for sharing.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 19:18   #4
BHPian

Thanks D33-PAC for a wonderful first time driving experience of what is one of my favourite cars ( its' my Avatar in this forum). This is indeed a supercar for a fraction of supercar price. I used to ogle at these cars when I was in the middle east in the 80s. The lucky dudes who used to drive it there used to let the tail spin out at every opportunity. It was and still is a poor handling car. It was known as a widow maker at one time. A lot of power at an easily accessible cost, in irresponsible hands, just means disaster.
As far as the ride is concerned, maybe the regular corvettes will have a better ride than the hardcore versions. Anyway, I wouldn't know as I never drove one. But I certainly will, one day, hopefully. I'll have to do that soon though, as cars like these will most probably be illegal in the not so distant future.

On a side note, I wondered if it was possible to store the roof in the trunk transversely. I remembered seeing it somewhere and an internet search showed this demo video below. Forgive me if thats' a different spec car. If not, maybe next time you could do this and get your 6ft 3in friend to tag along.

Last edited by psispace : 10th November 2018 at 19:24.
Old 10th November 2018, 21:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

W-O-W! She is really a beast. I wish someone lent me their car like this.
Does the RWD always slip at the first chance in less than ideal conditions?

BTW, you should try "SpotHero" app to find parking for cheap.
Old 11th November 2018, 02:08   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Does the RWD always slip at the first chance in less than ideal conditions?

Absolutely. There is just so much torque waiting to be churned out the engine, after you press the accelerator pedal 40% you feel the punch, 50% is pure proper acceleration and anything more in slippery conditions or corners and it WILL SLIDE.

A complaint I have is as much as this is a fun dramatic, if you do it too often you can feel tires burning.
D33-PAC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 14:08   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
The too long to read version of the story is I ended up in Kentucky for professional reasons, the American heartland as most of you know.
Kentucky as it should be almost universal by now is world famous fried chicken (Hello KFC !). Coming to a place you know nothing about and where you don't belong for professional reasons is quite a challenge. How could you possibly kill time in a land that's no California or New York City ?

A gentleman I knew happened to lend me his Chevy Corvette 2016 Stingray Z51 when I told him I was bored out of my mind without knowing what to do in the state of Kentucky..........
Wait. Let me understand this correctly. You showed up and said that you were bored; and this guy handed you the keys to his 400 HP beast?!!! And that too in the US where people are so anal about insurance rules!! People there typically do not even allow their family members to drive their vehicles (even if said vehicle was a humble Honda Civic)!!!!!

I mean, HOLY HELL!!! I right about fainted when I read this.

Nice friend you have.

By the way, I used to live in SW Ohio and have been down to Lexington, KY for a cricket game and also to Newport on the Levee for some fun nights out. The view from the Levee of Cincinnatti downtown is fantastic. The only comparable view is the one that drivers get of Pittsburgh when they come out of Fort Pitt tunnel; and also from Mount Washington across the Monongahela River.

Kentucky is definitely an underrated state. As you rightly found out, it has some super scenic roads that are sparsely trafficked and big huge vistas for just ogling at the scenery. Now, I just need to find me a client there; and hopefully one with a nice car and a big heart.
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 14:53   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Wait. Let me understand this correctly. You showed up and said that you were bored; and this guy handed you the keys to his 400 HP beast?!!! And that too in the US where people are so anal about insurance rules!! People there typically do not even allow their family members to drive their vehicles (even if said vehicle was a humble Honda Civic)!!!!!

I mean, HOLY HELL!!! I right about fainted when I read this.

Nice friend you have.

By the way, I used to live in SW Ohio and have been down to Lexington, KY for a cricket game and also to Newport on the Levee for some fun nights out. The view from the Levee of Cincinnatti downtown is fantastic. The only comparable view is the one that drivers get of Pittsburgh when they come out of Fort Pitt tunnel; and also from Mount Washington across the Monongahela River.

Kentucky is definitely an underrated state. As you rightly found out, it has some super scenic roads that are sparsely trafficked and big huge vistas for just ogling at the scenery. Now, I just need to find me a client there; and hopefully one with a nice car and a big heart.

Haha Sirji I have known the owner as a family friend for almost 2 decades. Before I came out my mother's womb - he was a family friend. I didn't just "show up" and get access to a 460 HP car like "that".

I have not wandered to Pennsylvania much so I would not know but can only imagine.

Yes Kentucky has some surreal scenery. My only complaint is desis are rare there and it is a RED state so once in a while you'll feel like a Jew in Saudi Arabia.

In Florence KY - and I'm not even dark, I'm wheatish - I could feel people staring at me. I am most definitely not the darkest Indian that Indians come in. I agree when I'm unshaven I do look Middle Eastern so they probably thought I was a you know who.

But there are a few desis here. If I'm not mistaken one of the most amazing car collections owned by an Indian across the world is based in Kentucky. A punjabi doctor who has an F50, Carrera GT, and whatnot.

Last edited by D33-PAC : 11th November 2018 at 14:54.
D33-PAC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 13:14   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Loved your thread - many thanks for sharing! I read it in detail over the weekend. Most people would have just gone drooling over the power & looks, but you have put a practical perspective to it, including what it would be like to live with this car. Your awesome writing skills made it even better .

Based on what you've written & the stuff I've read online, the Mustang V8 is a better car to own, especially in India. It might be a class lower, but again, the key is livability. I was pleasantly surprised as to how compliant the Ford's ride quality was (by sporty car standards). And it has more than enough power and the "wow" factor for India.

The cons you've mentioned are exactly the reasons behind the rise of super sedans (the ///Ms and AMGs). They offer practicality as well as performance.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 14:57   #10
BHPian

Sorry for noticing this. But, why is the Left Door open in all your initial photographs?
Old 12th November 2018, 17:04   #11
BHPian

I stopped the car for a while after driving around for a while because I was scared the car would burn. - this was great

Great writing, enjoyed the corvette and the way you shared the experience.

Regarding the livability with the car, the first thing that came to my mind was a scene from malayalam movie "jacobinte swargarajyam" where in a hefty guy tries to get out of the car.
Old 12th November 2018, 17:36   #12
BANNED

Driving through Kentucky in a Corvette Stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
Sorry for noticing this. But, why is the Left Door open in all your initial photographs?

Brilliant question ! The reason is I can be a forgetful and reckless person sometimes and I don't trust myself . In many instances I have forgotten wallets, credit cards, house keys.

On a car like this that too in rural areas I did not want to be the idiot who got a corvette only to ruin his day by leaving the corvette keys inside the car with all doors closed. So I left at least one door open so I can live peacefully knowing even if I left the car key in the car during a photo shoot I can get back in .

I once was with a friend who owned a BMW 330i who managed to leave the keys in the car during winter time. We had to spend 1 hour for the specialist service man to come with a special toolkit to open the door without damage not to mention we had to wait outside in freezing winter . After that episode I keep having nightmares about forgetting keys in the car.

Last edited by D33-PAC : 12th November 2018 at 17:39.
Old 12th November 2018, 17:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Brilliant question ! The reason is I can be a forgetful and reckless person sometimes and I don't trust myself . In many instances I have forgotten wallets, credit cards, house keys.

On a car like this that too in rural areas I did not want to be the idiot who got a corvette only to ruin his day by leaving the corvette keys inside the car with all doors closed. So I left at least one door open so I can live peacefully knowing even if I left the car key in the car during a photo shoot I can get back in .

I once was with a friend who owned a BMW 330i who managed to leave the keys in the car during winter time. We had to spend 1 hour for the specialist service man to come with a special toolkit to open the door without damage not to mention we had to wait outside in freezing winter . After that episode I keep having nightmares about forgetting keys in the car.
But you also have the Top Down. Jump no? I know I am just unnecessary going on, but I couldn't help notice.
Animesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 19:05   #14
BHPian

Great write up on the overall Vette experience.
I lived in Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati for good 3 years and have known the area pretty well. So the names and the area sounded pretty familiar and I can visualize all the roads and places you have traveled in the Car.
You should have driven it down south on I-75 to the horse country in Lexington. Stop by next to any of the lush green horse stables and clicked the pics.
If you still have the enthusiasm about Corvettes, visit the Corvette museum in Bowling Green, KY. While at the museum, I had the good fortune of test driving the car which one of the owner has got there for display on that day. I dont recollect the model, but it was a 2015 car and I have driven it for good 20 mile loop around the museum with the owner sitting next to me and guiding on the intricacies of the car and driving it. I could not feel any of the fishtailing you talked about, may be because of the guidance from the owner or it being a sunny day. But I do agree that it was a very different experience driving the Corvette after coming out of Santa Fe, which felt like a bus, when I came back to my car.
Since you talked about KY, I75 and I65 in the region are known as the automobile super highways. South of Detriot down to Tennessee, you have a ton of automobile plants across the region - Cummins and Toyota plants in Indiana, Ford in Louisville(the HQ for KFC), GM plant in Bowling Green, KY, Toyota Camry/Lexus plant in Georgetown, KY(This is the only plant in the entire world outside Japan where Camry and Lexus are manufactured), Nissan plant in Nashville, TN to name a few and not to mention a bunch of parts manufacturers located all over.

BTW, do you live in Florence, KY?
mchandra13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 19:38   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchandra13 View Post
Great write up on the overall Vette experience.
I lived in Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati for good 3 years and have known the area pretty well. So the names and the area sounded pretty familiar and I can visualize all the roads and places you have traveled in the Car.
You should have driven it down south on I-75 to the horse country in Lexington. Stop by next to any of the lush green horse stables and clicked the pics.
If you still have the enthusiasm about Corvettes, visit the Corvette museum in Bowling Green, KY. While at the museum, I had the good fortune of test driving the car which one of the owner has got there for display on that day. I dont recollect the model, but it was a 2015 car and I have driven it for good 20 mile loop around the museum with the owner sitting next to me and guiding on the intricacies of the car and driving it. I could not feel any of the fishtailing you talked about, may be because of the guidance from the owner or it being a sunny day. But I do agree that it was a very different experience driving the Corvette after coming out of Santa Fe, which felt like a bus, when I came back to my car.
Since you talked about KY, I75 and I65 in the region are known as the automobile super highways. South of Detriot down to Tennessee, you have a ton of automobile plants across the region - Cummins and Toyota plants in Indiana, Ford in Louisville(the HQ for KFC), GM plant in Bowling Green, KY, Toyota Camry/Lexus plant in Georgetown, KY(This is the only plant in the entire world outside Japan where Camry and Lexus are manufactured), Nissan plant in Nashville, TN to name a few and not to mention a bunch of parts manufacturers located all over.

BTW, do you live in Florence, KY?

Awesome. We are on the same page. I used to live in Cincinnati when I was deployed by TCS at end client there.

YES went to Louisville KY never got to see the Churchill Downs and Kentucky Derby/horse related events. Same with Lexington, drove through but didn't get enough experience.

One thing I will admit is desis are very rare and this is no Silicon Valley so I did not feel comfortable exploring every place as a non-white. This is still a very deep country area. Ohio and Cincinnati is liberal but Kentucky and TN are different lands.

And yes, The Vette is manageable in the dry, but in the wet it'll show its slidability.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks