Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2019, 15:45   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
My question is for Bhp-ians who have driven in Scotland. My wife and mother are going for a vacation in Scotland this May. I would personally want them to explore the country on a car. My question is, would you guys recommend that my wife rents and drive a car, given that this would be her first driving experience outside India?
I would surely recommend touring Scotland in a car, if she is confident of covering below points.
1. Strict adherence to speed limits (especially variable speed limits on motorways).
2. Stay in the appropriate lane at least 2 turns in advance (lane discipline)
3. On motorways, always stay in the leftmost lane, overtake from the immediate lane on the right and return to the leftmost lane after overtaking, when it's safe to do so.
4. Park the car ONLY in designated parking areas or on roadsides that have a single yellow line with raised kerb and with no signs of 'No parking' / 'Restricted parking'. Pay the parking charges, if applicable, at the nearby booth.
5. Maintain a very safe distance from the vehicle in front.

In my experience, the WAZE app is brilliant. It displays the nearest parking spots at destination, so that you can drive to the parking spot without searching for one, after arrival. However, Google maps offline is essential for places with less / no mobile network coverage.

P.S.- The drive from Inverness to Loch Ness is heavenly!

Happy motoring!
aamateen46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 12:21   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driving in the UK for Indians - Theory, Hazard Perception & Practical Tests

I plan to move to the UK in the near future and I just thought I will find out about the procedure for getting a DL there. I had assumed that I will have to scout through Youtube videos and go through official UK Government websites. Just out of habit, I thought I will search for the same here and Voila! This forum never stops surprising you.

You deserve much more than thanks BlackPearl for creating this thread. Some may say the information is all out there. But to invest your time and compile such detailed information in a single thread and that too with such clarity, it is simply amazing. 5 stars for your effort man.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 13:24   #33
BHPian

Thankyou @BlackPearl, for this very informative and useful post. I would very much like to drive across the length and breath of the USA, but am worried about not knowing/following the rules and etiquette. I had tried a couple of times to engage a driving instructor, but got thwarted when trying to apply for a learners license- since i do not have a social security number.

Would be very obliged if any of our members in the USA are able to give the US version of what you have so painstakingly posted . Secondly, any possibility of getting a driving licence in the USA if you are not a resident?
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 15:27   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
You deserve much more than thanks BlackPearl for creating this thread. Some may say the information is all out there. But to invest your time and compile such detailed information in a single thread and that too with such clarity, it is simply amazing. 5 stars for your effort man.
Thanks a lot drmohitg! Such a nice feedback definitely makes it worth the effort. Do let me know when you are in UK and we can plan for a meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Thankyou @BlackPearl, for this very informative and useful post.
Thank you earthian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Would be very obliged if any of our members in the USA are able to give the US version of what you have so painstakingly posted . Secondly, any possibility of getting a driving licence in the USA if you are not a resident?
I might be wrong but when I was there in 2008 the rule in New Jersey was that I could drive for 2 months with the Indian license. I was able to rent a car and I had bought a car within a week of landing there. A very old Honda Accord and I drove it for 2 months with the Indian license. If you plan to stay more than that then you will need to get an US licence I believe. Also the rule varies from state to state.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 11:16   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I might be wrong but when I was there in 2008 the rule in New Jersey was that I could drive for 2 months with the Indian license.
Yes, you can use the Indian driving licence in most states and if you have an IDP, then for a year.

However:
The issue is that i want to learn the rules and etiquette properly with the help of an instructor. Most ask for a learners licence, which i am unable to provide. have to check whether they would consent to teach me with an IDP.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 18:34   #36
BHPian

Thanks @BlackPearl for this evergreen thread ! I'm sure it will be a source of invaluable guidance to lots of new drivers in the UK for years to come . Like me - drawing benefits after 4.5 yrs since you wrote the original post. Going through the first post on this thread and some of the observations/experiences posted by members really prepared me on what to expect during the test.
I'm currently going through my process for a UK Drivers Licence having completed my Theory Test last week and having failed my first Practical Test today ! And no I didn't fail it because of anything you have written above
Two of my driving habits were marked as Serious faults during the course of the test :
1. Choosing the wrong lane when I had to make the third exit on a large roundabout - I know that I do this on really large roundabouts and not practicing more on this error bit me today
2. Going at 50mph in the left lane on a fast A-road (70mph limit). At the point where I join the road from the slipway - I was not at 60-70 range and stayed below that range for quite some time after joining

Few other minors errors (I got 10, I think upto 15 are excused) were also present related to Indicating early, Undue hesitation and Mirror Checking while stopping etc. but the above serious ones were detrimental

I'll have to take the test again - right now looking at available slots after 10 days.
Sangre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 18:45   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
Thanks @BlackPearl for this evergreen thread ! I'm sure it will be a source of invaluable guidance to lots of new drivers in the UK for years to come .
Thank you for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
I'll have to take the test again - right now looking at available slots after 10 days.
I am sure you will pass the next time with flying colours. All the best. Just remember that all you need to prove is that you are a safe driver. No matter how good a driver you are, the instructor will deduct marks if he/she thinks that you are not safe enough.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 23:43   #38

Hello !

Thanks for this thread and seems like I came across it a bit late. But nevertheless, I have one question. With the Indian Driving License being in English (at least what I have got), is IDP required to drive in the UK ? Does the police mandate it ? Or is it the Car Rental companies ?

I think I will be in a situation where I will not have the IDP but just my license. So I am wondering if I will be able to drive in the UK or not.

Thanks,
Midhun
Old 30th October 2023, 22:29   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnimidhun View Post
Hello !

Thanks for this thread and seems like I came across it a bit late. But nevertheless, I have one question. With the Indian Driving License being in English (at least what I have got), is IDP required to drive in the UK ? Does the police mandate it ? Or is it the Car Rental companies ?

I think I will be in a situation where I will not have the IDP but just my license. So I am wondering if I will be able to drive in the UK or not.

Thanks,
Midhun
IDP is not needed in the UK if your Indian driving license is in English. You can drive with the India license for the first one year since your arrival.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks