Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2007, 18:12   #16
BHPian

Wake me up when it's over
Old 26th January 2007, 01:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

What next a car that drives around by itself.
Old 26th April 2007, 16:20   #18
Team-BHP Support

Well, seems like the World's motoring press feel the LS460 is good enough to be judged the 2007 World Car of the Year.

Linky
Old 26th April 2007, 17:17   #19
Team-BHP Support

It looks brilliant and has some nice features. But is it just me or can anyone compare the headlight shape to be same as the NHC with a better finish? The tail light ends look NHCish too. No doubt way better executed and planted than the NHC. The car will give many other cars a run for their money.
Old 26th April 2007, 17:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well, edmunds.com tested the LS600h L , and werent particularly impressed by it. Its just as fast as the 460L, is much more expensive, and no feature which is optional on the 600 isnt also an option on the 460. Also, it doesnt deliver significantly more fuel economy than the smaller engined variant.
Seems like Toyota is caching in on the hybrid craze amongst the rich Americans, who can then pretend to be more environmentally conscious by getting 1Mpg more in the city.
Old 26th April 2007, 20:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Since both Lexus 460SL and Merc S550 sedan AWD retail for around US$90000 they are way out of my ambitions in this life. Both these cars in previous generations have had a long ownership history, and this is what it is:

For Lexus SL460, based on 10 year record, it is termed as excellent on all parameters including reliability, engine, transmission, braking, climate conrol, body integrity, etc. Lexus's redesigned flagship sedan, the LS460, now offers an extended-length version with more rear seat room and many high-tech features, including an automatic parking system. Fit and finish is exceptional. An excellent reliability record and low
depreciation have made the LS a standout in the US market. The old and new Lexus LS both have an excellent new and used car predicted reliability.

For Merc S550, Mercedes-Benz's flagship sedan is redesigned for 2007. Early impressions indicate that it maintains the comfort and agility of its
predecessor. The new car also adds a control system that's reminiscent of BMW's awkward iDrive, as well as an optional night-vision system. The previous S-Class featured smooth and powerful V8 and V12
engines. It was quiet and luxurious. Despite its size, it was surprisingly agile, making it a delight to drive. The cushy ride is perhaps the best in class. However, reliability of Merc S Class has been below par. In fact, a 1998 Lexus has lesser problems than a 2006 Merc S Class. The previous S Class had a reliability prediction of a poor new and used car. Amongst the various parameters, it had excellent to good rating on engine-major, exhaust, paint/trim/rust, and body integrity, but average to poor rating on transmission, drive system, climate system, suspension, brakes, and power equipment.

None of the Merc models presently on sale in the US are recommended by ConsumerReports. For whatever it is worth, their opinions and those of IIHS, EPA, NHTSA, AND IIHS count for a lot.
Old 26th April 2007, 20:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Keep in mind that the ratings mentioned in my post No. 23 are based on collations of user feedback of real people (OK very real rich people) who paid for their cars, and not the ratings and choices of some auto mags (as in India) whose ratings of the car may depend on the presence or otherwise of a complementary long-termer.

Merc is no doubt a great car, but the 3 pointed star's brand equity has been diluted by a decline in quality, and Lexus' now 2/3 decade record. Merc still sells more in Europe but in the highly competitive US market, Lexus is the No 1 luxury car. Now some may say a person paying more than US$50K may not worry much about long-term reliability, but apparently they care a lot about quality and reliability, as reflected in Lexus' fortunes, and the declining rep. of the 3 star.
Old 26th April 2007, 21:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Well said Vasudeva, but with change of heads, MB has focussed back on Quality and workmanship. In fact, they declared that next S class will be as well built as it ever was. I've not checked recently, but last time I checked IQS (Initial Quality Survey) rating for new Mercs, it had shown dramatic improvement in quality. So, they seem to have taken Quality aspect quite seriously.
Old 27th April 2007, 09:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Well said Vasudeva, but with change of heads, MB has focussed back on Quality and workmanship. In fact, they declared that next S class will be as well built as it ever was. I've not checked recently, but last time I checked IQS (Initial Quality Survey) rating for new Mercs, it had shown dramatic improvement in quality. So, they seem to have taken Quality aspect quite seriously.
Yes you can say that MB is now taking quality seriously, but the gap between them and Lexus/BMW/Mercury/Cadillac seems to be too high even at present. For example, JD Power conducts a 3-year vehicle dependability survey (VDS) for US cars. In 2006, for 2004-06 models, Lexus had the least problems followed by Mercury, Buick, Cadillac and toyota. MB was below the industry average with 240 problems per 100 vehicles. Two year back, Lexus was again no 1, and MB was again below industry average with 327 pp100v. Although MB seems to have improved, the industry avge also improved-from 269 pp100v in 2004 to 227pp100v in 2006. Lexus improved from 162 pp100v in 2004 to 136 pp100v.

So MB is improving but it has a long way to go, and while it is improving, others are also improving with some exceptions.
Old 27th April 2007, 09:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Now MB has strong pull in some markets notably Europe and Asia. But no longer in US. BMW and Lexus rank the highest in quality and overall satisfaction for luxury cars/sedans. For example, ConsumerReports 2007 issue surveyed existing owners about whether they would regretted their decison and would they buy the car again. The results in % are : Lexus LS430 88% (ie 88% said they would buy the car again), Infiniti M35/45 84%, BMW 5 series 79%. By comparison, all MB models were below the industry average of 70%--E Class V8 56%, E Class V6 59%, CLS 66%. Even BMW 7 series had 69%.

Since this is proprietary, I cannot put this on a public forum, but if you send an email to me, I can email to you the 10-year predicted reliability, 10-year troublespots record, average FE, and other performance, owner satisfaction for all cars presently being sold in US.
Old 28th April 2007, 00:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

I dont care if its better than the S or the 7 or anything, but atleast its a great looker for a cheaper price tag, someone mentioned that they are both the same price whereas there is 20+k USD diff between S and LS, but in any event, now the LS has been updated with awesome looks and not too bad interiors making it competitive, atleast one can think about an LS before buying an S or 7..atleast i wouldnt mind..

Lexus has made it very difficult for open minded people to buy an S or 7..

Even though we have an S in the stable which i love for its looks and interiors and everything else but i cant dismiss LS like i use to before with the 430, the new LS 460 and 600 should do very well in india with people who are bored of the S or dont want to follow the crowd..

extremely s3xy piece of machinery..

Last edited by 1Day : 28th April 2007 at 00:20.
Old 28th April 2007, 00:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
self park vs park guidence-self parking takes atleast double the time
of normal parking.if u cant park dont drive.
...hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
driver monitor vs night vision-both are useful.udecide which one is better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
- Climate control system that not only monitors the cabin temperature, but also the body temperature of the occupants, and will adjust individual outlet flow to compensate.
driver monitor is a silly idea.. if the people need their body temperature to be monitored they should be in an ICU of a hospital not driving a car.
maybe it requires great technology but sounds silly to me..
Old 28th April 2007, 01:47   #28
BHPian

took a drive in the ls460l few weeks back, went over a speed breaker at 100kmph and just felt a slight bump. loved the ride, silky smooth even on really really bad montreal roads.
Old 1st May 2007, 02:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Speedbreaker, 100 kmph and Lexus LS460L somehow do not connect! Where did you get a speedbreaker to go over at 100 kmph in a Lexus LS460L? I guess in places where you get the Lexus LS460L they dont have speedbreakers apart from the parking lots where 100kmph is not reachable!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks