Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2007, 09:49   #1
BHPian

new corvette c7

here is the info on the probable c7:

Quote:
I see more and more wrong information floating around on this car everyday, so let's fix all that right now. Rest assured I'm not guessing on this stuff.

Let's start with the obvious that will not come as a surprise to 99% of the people here.
  • The motor is a 6.2L supercharged V8. It's called LS9. I still see some articles and a few people thinking it's nothing more than an LS7 with a supercharger. Some people still also seem to think it will be a turbo'ed motor and not S/C'ed. The decision to make the motor S/C'ed was made *at least* a year and a half ago. A supplier (which I won't name) was chosen to make the supercharger at that time as well, if not earlier. The supercharger will utilize an intercooler that is integrated into the intake manifold. While the motor is making significantly more than 650hp on a test stand, I would look for it to be rated very close to, if not at, 650hp.
  • Do I even have to say it's not switching to a mid-engine...?
  • The program code is GMX245 SSC.
  • The body will have significant use of carbon fiber as well as some polycarbonate. As for CF use, expect at least the hood, roof, fenders and rockers to be CF.
  • Program timing is the big one. The super vette has never been a car for the 2008MY. That would've made it going into production sometime in 2007 which just isn't possible with the amount of engineering work needed. The original timing for the car had it starting production in March of 2008 at an annual volume of 1500 units. While I'm not aware of any volume change, the production date has changed. Due to issues GM is currently having with a supplier (which I won't name) involved in the program, the start of production has slipped to July 2008.
  • Expect this car to debut at NAIAS 2008. There is only one auto show GM would debut a car like this at, and it is Detroit. The only way you wouldn't see this car at NAIAS 2008 is if the program suffered a major set back or was cancelled. While a major set back is always possible on a program with such tight tolerances as this one, cancellation at this point would take an act of god given the money already invested in the program.
here are the links for the info keep in mind this is a probable info:
DigitalCorvettes.com - Tired of all the Vette SS rumors, time to debunk
C7 Update! - Corvette Forum
Top secret Corvette info leaked! OMG L337 H4X0RZ!!! - SportsCarForums.com

guess its launched to take on viper,gt500shelby and the European mid engines.

guess i have a new favorite car.
Old 21st February 2007, 09:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

A new C7? So soon? I think its just the rumoured Blue Devil specs. The 6.2L V8 lifted straight out of one of GM's trucks.

Last edited by sajo : 21st February 2007 at 09:58.
Old 21st February 2007, 10:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sajo is correct pawn, C7 isnt what this spec is about, but rather the SS..

anyhow the rumor mill is that the C7 will be out as a 2011 model year being built in the 2010 summer along with Z06 coming the same year unlike the C6 when it actually came the next year.

Also Corvette SS(blue devil as we know it) should be out for a 2009 MY run and 2010 MY run making about 3000 cars total..

Last edited by 1Day : 21st February 2007 at 10:18.
Old 26th February 2007, 11:42   #4
BHPian

hey guys i didn't reply to this because i was searching for more c7 news and yes here it is:
GM's Global Goals - Auto News - Motor Trend

guess this is the real deal and not the ss.
Old 27th February 2007, 00:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Corvette ss spy phots

Source + more pics:
We're Not Yet In Jail: More Speculation On The Corvette SS Spy Photos, Corvette C7 - Jalopnik

After conferring with Motor Trend and finding the original source, it's clear that GM's Jim McQueen did NOT say the C7 Corvette will produce up to 700 hp. The original article's author, MT's Paul Horrell, merely extrapolated on his own and made an educated guess that the C7 might produce that much power, probably considering that the C6 SS would already be producing in the neighborhood of 600 horsepower. The stuff about no all-wheel drive and maintaining a unique platform still stands, though.

Source:

C7 Corvette may produce up to 700 HP - Autoblog
Old 16th April 2007, 12:20   #6
BHPian

2009 Corvette Blue Devil confirmed and in final tuning phase - Daily Auto Insider - Car and Driver April 2007

latest update:
It appears the “Blue Devil” Corvette already is so quick it has even outrun a freeze on large and powerful rear-drive cars at General Motors, and it’s not even finished yet.
“That one is too late to stop. That’s almost finished. It’s in the final stages of tuning,” Bob Lutz, vice chairman in charge of product development, told CARandDRIVER.com during a recent interview in which he outlined a series of rear-drive projects that have been put on hold until the auto maker knows how strict the proposed new corporate average fuel efficiency (CAFE) regulations will be.

Mounting casualties so far include migrating the next Chevy Impala to the Global RWD Architecture (formerly known as Zeta), an ultra Cadillac based on the 2003 Sixteen concept, potential plans for a rear-drive Cadillac DTS, and work on the smaller Global Small RWD Architecture to produce a baby Caddy.
But the Blue Devil is still on track, despite a gestation period that Lutz described as challenging, in acknowledging, for the first time, the car’s existence. “It’s a very difficult vehicle development. This thing has so much power that we have to explore a dynamic envelope that we’ve never explored before. We want the vehicle to be safe and we want it to be predictable, even at speeds that no mortal is ever going to attain in the United States. That’s our obligation. We’re really into a speed and power realm that General Motors has never been in before. We’re way up there with Porsche Carrera GTs and Ferraris.”

Old 16th April 2007, 13:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

The engine is said to be bigger than the current OHV 7.0L V8 from the Z06. How big can they go?? 8.0L? Or 8.3L to make it 500 cu.in. ?
Old 16th April 2007, 13:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
The engine is said to be bigger than the current OHV 7.0L V8 from the Z06. How big can they go?? 8.0L? Or 8.3L to make it 500 cu.in. ?
its is supposed to be the biggest small block built by chevy in the up comming vette most likely like you said its going to be 500 ci and some where around 600-700 bhp to try taking on the viper and saleen's.
Old 16th April 2007, 22:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
its is supposed to be the biggest small block built by chevy in the up comming vette most likely like you said its going to be 500 ci and some where around 600-700 bhp to try taking on the viper and saleen's.
Unfortunately for Viper, there is no trying to take on, the Viper is a good 450+ lb heavier than the Z06 and around a track doesnt do any better even with the 600, the Z06 with an agressive ECU tune is able to hold and sometimes outrun the new 600 hp viper, the SS or whatever it might be called would be there to outrun the big dogs like the CGTs etc, not that it would have the class of those machines but for the money no one would even want to argue..They will outdo most hyper cars of today in pure speed and track capability..

Last edited by 1Day : 16th April 2007 at 22:15.
Old 16th April 2007, 23:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
the SS or whatever it might be called would be there to outrun the big dogs like the CGTs etc......

They will outdo most hyper cars of today in pure speed and track capability..
so you're saying the Vette is faster than a Carrera GT around the racetrack?
Old 16th April 2007, 23:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
the current vette isnt faster but the newer ones may be faster.
Old 17th April 2007, 00:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did I not say the SS vette, and yes it will be faster, as is the GT3 on a tigh race track was not a match for the Z06 and 997 TT is toast as well, so yes i am implying that the Z06 is faster than the current porsche around a race track, and the SS will be faster than CGT on a race track for sure..

BTW a key element of track racing is the tires and if you put the same tires that CGT comes with the gap between the Z06 and CGT on the ring would be no more than 3-6 secs which means the SS will roast the CGT alive.. predicted Z06 timing with the cup tires are somewhere in the 7:35 range i think which is faster than the GT3 RS and would be faster than the 997 GT2.

Last edited by 1Day : 17th April 2007 at 00:17.
Old 17th April 2007, 00:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

could you please enlighten me as to why you think the Z06 tires are inferior to those of the porsche? i thought all production cars that try for the record on the Nordschleife are supposed to run on street tires?
Old 17th April 2007, 01:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
could you please enlighten me as to why you think the Z06 tires are inferior to those of the porsche? i thought all production cars that try for the record on the Nordschleife are supposed to run on street tires?
Oki dok Here is the light:

Vette comes with Run Crap Tires made by Goodyear(and i meant it when i said craps instead of flats, they are no where near a regular ultra high performance tire grip). on the ring the timing is noted with what tires come from factory.

Porsche comes with 2 options,
1. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
2. Michelin Pilot Sport Cup which is R-Compound rubber

now given this data, porsche did the test run on the ring, option 1 does 7:47 on the ring and 2 does 7:40, considering runcraps are much worse than PS2, the timing for Z06 on the ring would be somewhere close to 7:43 - (7 to 9 sec) = 7:34-7:36 which is damn close to the 7:30 time for the CGT and quicker than the GT3 RS on R-Compounds.

Also Z06 is not really setup for race track as the GT3, since it is more of a compromise between a true supercar and a GT car. If it were setup like the race car, you could easily see the time go down even further.

I am not taking anything away from the porsche, they are beautiful machines with awesome handling capability but people disregard the vette as some american muscle when it is more italian competition. I agree that the vette could improve in the fit and finish department and may be even the road feel department but for 1/2 the price of a GT3 RS and about 1/7th the cost of a CGT its one hell of a machine which demands respect like the big guns..

Considering I love cars, i can see how if ones got the dough you would want the higher priced machines but i would still give respect where it is due..and thats with the Vette in todays time..

Last edited by 1Day : 17th April 2007 at 01:59.
Old 17th April 2007, 02:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
now given this data, porsche did the test run on the ring, option 1 does 7:47 on the ring and 2 does 7:40, considering runcraps are much worse than PS2, the timing for Z06 on the ring would be somewhere close to 7:43 - (7 to 9 sec) = 7:34-7:36 which is damn close to the 7:30 time for the CGT and quicker than the GT3 RS on R-Compounds.

Also Z06 is not really setup for race track as the GT3, since it is more of a compromise between a true supercar and a GT car. If it were setup like the race car, you could easily see the time go down even further.
Boss all said & done this is nothing but speculation. Until Chevy does come out with the Blue Devil or a version with the pre-requsities there is no surety of what time the Corvette will do with the Competition spec tyres.

Whereas, the Porsche's have been doing this for years. They are independently authenticated figures on stock cars and like it or not they are the leaders in Engineering in today's car makers. Look at the advancements they make every time they launch a new generation of cars & the motorsport laurels they have won over the years for proof. IIRC they are the manufacturer to have won the Le Mans maximum number of times.

Look at some of their recent techincal achievements:

1. Silica/Carbide clutch in the CGT with astonishingly low-weight & benefits.
2. Carbon/Ceramic brakes on Production cars.
3. VGT Turbos on Petrol Engines.

Some of these might have faced intial issues but note that they are the company to introduce all these features for the first time on their production cars.

To be fair for the money that the Corvette is sold for it's unbeatable VFM but for a lot of people VFM is not the only thing. Some might actually prepare the refinement, advanced development & technologies of the Porsche's over the Corvette. I know I do even if I can't afford either right now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks