Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2010, 17:31   #61
Team-BHP Support

Porsche 964:

Porsche Model History!-carrera.jpg

The 964 (Pronounced nine-sixty four) is the internal code given to the Porsche 911 that was produced and sold between 1989 and 1994. The reason as to why the 964 is given much importance is that it featured significant styling revisions over previous versions of the 911, most prominently the more integrated bumpers (fenders), although it was still obviously a 911. It was the first generation of 911 to be offered with Porsche's optional Tiptronic automatic transmission as well as the first generation to be offered with all wheel drive.

Carrera 2/Carrera 4:

Porsche Model History!-800pxporsche_964_front_20080515.jpg

Porsche Model History!-porsche964c2forsaleny.jpg

The 964 is said to be 85% new when compared to its predecessor, the Carrera 3.2. In 1989, Porsche first introduced the all-wheel-drive ‘Carrera 4’. The rear-wheel-drive ‘Carrera 2’ was introduced a year later. Both variants were available in Coupe, Cabriolet and Targa body styles. Incidentally, the 964 was the last of the 911s that came with the traditional removable Targa roof. The later generations’ Targas were equipped with a complex, sliding glass roof.

A new naturally aspirated, 3.6 liter, flat-six engine was used in the 964 variants. This engine produced 247 horses at 6100 RPM and 310 Nm of Torque at 4800 RPM. This translated into fantastic performance figures! 0-96 km/h was dispatched in 5.5 seconds (6.2 - Tiptronic) and a top speed of 261 km/h (256 km/h – Tiptronic)

Porsche improved the suspension as well by replacing the rear torsion beam with coil springs and shock absorbers. Power steering and ABS brakes arrive to the 911 for the first time and they were both made standard. The exterior bumpers and fog lamps became flush into the car, allowing for better aerodynamics. A new electric rear spoiler raised as speeds above 50 MPH and lowered down flush with the rear engine lid at lower speeds or when stopped. A revised interior featured standard dual airbags beginning in 1990 for all North American production cars. A new automatic climate control system provided superior heating and cooling. Revised instrumentation housed a large set of warning lights that were tied into the car's central warning system which alerted the driver to a possible problem or malfunction.

Carrera RS:

Porsche Model History!-1992_carrera_rs12043184861205932899.jpg

In 1992, Porsche introduced a light weight, driver focused, rear wheel drive sports car based on track-focused Porsche’s 911 Carrera Cup. They christened it the ‘Carrera RS’. The power output was increased to 260 bhp (194 kW; 264 PS) and a lightweight flywheel coupled to the G50/10 transmission with closer ratios, asymmetrical Limited Slip Differential and steel synchromesh were incorporated. A track-oriented suspension system with 40 mm (1.6 in) lower ride height, stiffer springs, shocks and adjustable stabilizer bars without power steering (RHD UK cars did have power steering). A stripped-out interior devoid of power windows or seats, rear seats, air conditioning, cruise control, sound deadening or a stereo system (optionally fitted) and new racing-bucket front seats were part of the package. The trunk hood was made of aluminum, the chassis was seam welded and sound deadening was deleted. Wheels were made of magnesium and the glass was thinner in the doors and rear window. The Carrera RS is approximately 155 kg lighter than the US version Carrera 2 model. Also available were a heavier Touring variant (with sound deadening, power seats (optional), undercarriage protection and power windows) and an N/GT racing variant with a stripped, blank metal interior and a roll cage. They also came with optional lights on the visors.

A later ultra-limited production version, the Carrera RS 3.8 featuring the Turbo body and a 300 bhp (224 kW; 304 PS) 3.8 liter version of the M64 motor was sold briefly in Europe.

Note:

- The Carrera RS was not sold in the USA because Porsche Cars North America felt the car's aggressive tuning was not suited to the American market. In 1992, 45 USA-legal cars that were very similar to the Carrera RS were imported to the USA for a proposed "Porsche Carrera Cup" racing series. This Carrera Cup series was to function as a support race for the American CART racing series just as European Carrera Cup has supported Formula One.

- In order to please devoted American 911 enthusiasts who wanted an RS model, Porsche produced the ‘RS America’. The RS America was produced as a 1993 and 1994 car based on the USA Carrera 2. The RS America featured a distinctive 'Whale-tail' spoiler, a partially stripped interior with flat door panels (from the European RS) and carpeting along with a luggage shelf replacing the rear seats. Cloth covered sports seats, 17 inch wheels and M030 Sports Suspension were fitted as standard. The logo "RS America" was written on the deck lid along with an "RS" logo in front of the rear wheels. Deleted to save weight were power steering, cruise control, powered side mirrors, air-conditioning, sunroof and radio, although the air-conditioning, sunroof and radio as well as a limited slip differential could be ordered as options.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turbo and Turbo S:

Porsche Model History!-porsche_964_turbo.jpg

The summer of 1990 saw the introduction of the 964 Turbo. Unfortunately, they hadn't had the necessary time to develop a turbocharged version of the 3.6 liter M64 engine, and choose to re-use the 3.3 liter engine from the 930, with several minor revisions that made the engine smoother, less prone to turbo-lag and more powerful, with a total output of 320 PS (240 kW; 320 hp) @ 5750 rpm. A total of 3,660 of the 964 Turbos were built.

Porsche Model History!-381776075_211e4a47fd.jpg

In 1992, the 3.3 liter Turbo S was introduced. With a power of 381 PS (280 kW; 376 hp) and with a lightweight interior and limited "creature comforts" the Turbo S was one of the fastest cars on the road. With lowered suspension, a front strut brace and manual steering, the Turbo S was all about performance. About 80 cars were produced during the only year of production.
Porsche finally introduced the 964 Turbo 3.6 in January, 1993, now featuring a turbocharged version of the 3.6 liter M64 engine and producing 360 PS (260 kW; 360 hp) @ 5500 rpm, the 3.6 liter powered Turbo was produced only for model year 1993/1994, with fewer than 1,500 of them produced in total, making it one of the rarest and most sought after Porsches produced since the 959.

At the end of 964’s production in 1994 the Porsche factory had some 90 Turbo chassis left. These were all transferred to Porsche Exclusiv and built as the very special Turbo 3.6S. The Turbo 3.6S was available either with the traditional 964 Turbo 3.6 body, or with the exclusive Flatnose (German: Flachbau) aka Slantnose option.

Speedster:

Porsche Model History!-33144750001_large.jpg

The Speedster, a low-roof convertible version, returned in October 1992. Based on the Carrera 2, the Speedster was available either in standard or in light-weight version, Clubsport trim. Unlike its predecessor, the 911 Speedster, the 964 Speedster was initially not available with the "Turbo-Look" wider rear arches. As a result, the sales of the 964 edition were disappointing: only 925 units were built in two years, as opposed to 2065 for the previous generation. In late 1993 (Model Year 1994), 20 (14 in right hand drive) very exclusive "Turbo-Look" units were made as special orders and carried special 5 digit option codes in their production records. These "Turbo-Look" Speedsters were some of the last 964's produced by the Porsche factory.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th January 2010 at 17:38.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2010, 18:54   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post

I am so much a fan of Porsche since 1999 ! ( thats when, I found NFS 5 Porsche Unleashed)
but, with that, I so much fell in love with the car and the family Porsche..
I cannot describe !..

The shape, the contours, the sound, the music of a Porsche engine..
I just love everything about the Porsche(s), even their oversteers!!

I also wrote up a report like I actually drove the porsche, (for that, I drove it in the game ! and added some snapshots !)
Attached herewith

I dont know if that was OT, but I thought, if you like them so much you would like to read this one too.

I would surely search up some more pics/brochures, and info that I had collected, I remember, I have somewhere on my backup !

/sorry for the length of the post.. but couldnt hold myself, seeing the Porshe all over again, falling in love with the beauty!../
Hi Driverace,

Your article was a nice read. I can feel your emotion though the article and it's great that you've experienced the 911. Although it is a little rough around the edges. Maybe Ported can help you with it.

P.S. The 2000 model 911 that you were referring to, however, is commonly referred to as the 996. I shall post an article on that soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Fantastic articles Suhaas and kudos for keeping the thread alive

I especially enjoyed the article on the RUF, and can only imagine how mindblowing 470 hp in car weighing around a ton will be ! And twin-turbo chargers - the sound of them spooling must be phenomenal. I love the simplicity of it, a no frills interior - simply man and machine! Proper track car this!

Keep writing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Now this has got to be the best looking avatar of the legendary 911! It's dimensions look spot on and that rear is to die for! I don't really like looks of the flat-nose version though. The tires on the 4th photo look delicious, not to mention the hips!

I've heard driving these quickly required serious skill - one momentary lapse of concentration and you're out of control!

Good work Suhaas, keep writing!
Anekho,

Thanks for the support! Much appreciated! And yes the 930's variants are considered to be one of the best looking 911s out there. Largely due to its classic lines and timeless appeal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
the engine bay of the silver 959 is one of the slickest I have ever seen. And it's over 20 years old!
I am a Ferrari lover, but this Porsche just takes my breath away.

Thanks Suhaas
No problem dude! The 959 does take your breath away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
a little off topic
There was a Racing game that was launched by Electronic arts known as Need for Speed : Porsche unleashed / Need for Speed :Porsche 2000
2 Different names but the same game..
Hi Iron,

Yup! Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed is very informative! It's a great game and it helps people understand, learn and absorb the vast Porsche stable! It has been mentioned before
in this thread!

EDIT: P.S. The 964 Turbo was the last air-cooled, rear-wheel-drive 911 ever made! And the 993 Turbo was the last air-cooled 911 ever made!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th January 2010 at 19:13.
Old 19th June 2010, 01:26   #63
Team-BHP Support

Porsche 911 (993)

Porsche 993:

The Porsche 993 is the internal name for the version of the Porsche 911 model manufactured and sold between late 1993 and early 1998, replacing the 964. Its discontinuation marked the end of air-cooled Porsches.
Like previous and future generations of the Porsche 911, there were several variants of the car manufactured, varying in body style, drivetrains, and included equipment. The Porsche 993 was replaced by the Porsche 996.

993 Carrera 2/4:

Porsche Model History!-porsche_993_carrera_4s_angle_front_c_1200x670.jpg

The 911 Carrera (993) is the base variant and was available in RWD and AWD under the guise '2' and '4' respectively. However, Porsche eliminated the '2' and '4' moniker when the 993 went on sale. Despite that, enthusiasts continued to refer to the RWD/AWD as '2' and '4'.

The options list for the 993 Carrera (and most other variants) was extensive and offered the possibility to easily configure highly individualized cars, depending on the amount of money a buyer was willing to spend. Options included up to five different styles of wheels, various suspension set-ups, at least three different seat styles (comfort, sport, racing), uncountable upholstery options including the possibility to have almost any interior element of the car covered with leather, wood or carbon fiber, and various hi-fi systems including digital sound processing. Further, Porsche offered the option to a customer to have their car painted in any color that they may desire if the standard palette wasn't satisfactory. Even more, the Tequipment- and Exclusive-Programs added further options and built to order almost any specific wishes of customers such as special consoles, fax-machines or even brightly colored interior upholstery.
The Cabriolet, introduced 1995, features a fully electrical and hand-stitched softtop reinforced with metal sheets and an automatic windblocker.

Carrera S/4S:

The Carrera 4 S (1996) and later Carrera S (1997) shared the Turbo body-shell, but housed the naturally aspirated Carrera engine in the rear. The 4S came with 4WD and retained the Turbo model's larger brake discs with the characteristic red callipers. It could be described as a "Turbo without the turbochargers and rear wing", whereas the S was in all aspects a standard Carrera underneath (the wider rear fenders were compensated with 31 mm (1.2 in) wheel spacers). Both S models had slightly lowered suspension compared to standard Carrera models. The wide body is widely acclaimed for its rear looks, but creates more aerodynamic drag, leading to slightly lower top speeds compared to the narrower siblings (about 5 km/h).

Targa:

Porsche Model History!-800pxporsche_993_targa_bordeaux_hr.jpg

The Targa version of the 993 was introduced in 1996 and saw the debut of a retractable glass roof, a design continued on the 996 and 997 Targa. The glass roof would retract underneath the rear window revealing a large opening. A shade was there to help prevent the greenhouse effect of the closed roof. This system was a complete redesign, as previous Targa models had a removable roof section and a wide B-Pillar Roll-bar. The new glass roof design allowed the 993 Targa to retain the same side-on profile as the other 911 Carrera variants and finished with the inconvenience of storing the removed top of the old system. The Targa has the body of the convertible with the Targa glass roof replacing the fabric roof. functioning as a

The 993 Targa was plagued with several problems since it's introduction. The cabin would get extremely hot, creaking noises while driving on rough roads were observed and the glass-roof mechanism was prone to technical and electrical glitches quite often. It was very complicated and unreliable.

Turbo/Turbo S:

Porsche Model History!-1.jpg

Porsche Model History!-porsche993turbo.jpg

The 993 Turbo coupe was released in 1995. It featured a new turbocharged engine displacing 3.6 liters. Twin turbochargers and air-to-air intercoolers, electronic engine management, redesigned cylinder heads and other modified engine internals were used. The 993 Turbo was the first Porsche Turbo with AWD. The electronic engine management helped the Turbo to achieve fuel efficiency far superior to any of the previous production Turbos. In connection with two cats and an on-board-diagnostics-system including four oxygen-sensors, it also made the 993 Turbo the cleanest sports car at its time. The Turbo's bodywork differs from the Carrera body by widened rear wheel arches (approximately 6 cm), redesigned front and rear bumper moldings, and a fixed rear wing housing the intercoolers. New 18-inch alloy wheels with weight-reducing hollow spokes were standard.

When it was introduced, the Turbo was the fastest production car in the world.

After the 3.3 liter G-model Turbo convertible (1987–89), Porsche never officially offered an air-cooled Turbo convertible again. However, in 1995 a small number (believed to be 14) 993 Turbo Cabriolets were sold before the introduction of the 993 Turbo coupe. They featured the 360 hp single-turbo engine of the 964 Turbo 3.6, a 5-speed manual transmission, rear-wheel drive and the wing of the 964 Turbo 3.6.

The Turbo S was introduced in '97 and only 183 were ever sold. It's a high-spec Turbo including a power upgrade to 424 hp for the American market and to 450 hp in other markets. The inclusion of extras including carbonfibre decoration in the interior makes it different from the earlier lightweight, spartan 964 Turbo S. The 993 Turbo S is recognized by yellow brake calipers, a slightly larger rear wing, a 4-pipe exhaust and air scoops behind the doors. This was the last of the air-cooled Turbos. 12 Turbo S cars were delivered to Australia.

Carrera RS:

Porsche Model History!-porsche_993_carrera_rs.jpg

Porsche Model History!-porsche-993-carrera-rs-1.jpg

The Carrera RS is a lightweight variant of the Carrera. It features a naturally aspirated 3.8 liter engine with 300 hp. On the outside, it is easily distinguishable by a special non-retractable rear wing, small front flaps and 3-piece 18-inch alloy wheels. Inside the rear seats were removed, and special racing seats and spartan door cards were installed. Sound deadning was reduced to a minimum.
There are further RS variants, in particular a track-oriented Carrera RS Clubsport with only limited road usability. The Clubsport has a welded roll cage, and certain comfort features removed, such as carpets, power windows, a/c and radio. It carries a larger rear wing and deeper chin spoiler.
The Carrera RS was produced in the year 1995 and 1996. It was street legal in European and many other countries, but was not exported to the US. As with the low-quantity RS variants of previous 911 types, owners sometimes attempt to turn their Carreras into RS clones due to the high market value of the RS.

GT2:

Porsche Model History!-porsche_993_gt2.jpg

The GT2 is the racing version of the Turbo. For weight saving reasons and also because most racing regulations don't allow it, the 4WD was deleted. The interior is similar to the Carrera RS. The fenders of the Turbo have been cut and replaced with bolt-on plastic pieces in order to accommodate large racing tires and to ease the repair of damages to the fenders often occurring in racing.
Until 1997, the GT2 had almost the same engine as the Turbo, but delivering 430 hp. In model year 1998 output was raised to 450 hp and twin ignition was added.
The many racing variants have different engine set-ups depending on the applicable racing series. Power output came as high as 600 bhp in a "Evo" version designed for the GT1-series, which was ultimately replaced by the mid-engine 911 GT1.
Additionally, the rear deck lid of an original GT2 will also sport "911 GT" instead of "911 GT2".

Speedster:

The Speedster model, was a variant of the 993, with a lowered roof, and a redesigned interior.
In contrast to the G-model and the 964, Porsche never officially released a 993 Speedster. However, two were built by the factory: a dark green Speedster equipped with Tiptronic S and 17-inch (430 mm) wheels for Ferdinand Porsche (for his 60th anniversary) in 1995 and another wide-body, silver Speedster with manual transmission and 18-inch (460 mm) wheels for American TV star Jerry Seinfield in 1998. The Seinfeld speedster was originally delivered as either a cabriolet or targa model and later sent back to the factory "Exclusive" department to be "rebuilt" as a speedster.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2010, 05:44   #64
Senior - BHPian

@ Suhaas: Good job dude. Really interesting readings. Can't wait until this covers all the Porsche line-up especially my favorite - Carrera GT.

@ driverace: Nothing comes close to Need For Speed 5 - Porsche Unleashed, buddy. I have played every NFS game till date but I seriously miss the fun factor of NFS 3 - Hot Pursuit and NFS 5. Ah, good ol' childhood memories. EA just lost its gaming creativity since NFS Underground.
Old 19th June 2010, 06:57   #65
BHPian

917 : Turbopanzer

Well, I can't believe we forgot to add this feat of human craziness in this lovely thread. On second thought it probably was because this thread wouldn't remain so sweet.

Now I won't go adding too much info about HRH Turbopanzer because one cannot be a self-confessed car nut on Team-BHP if you don't know about thy majesty. I'll give some facts but mostly this will be a pictures post.

The required 25 homologated cars lined up for inspection.
Porsche Model History!-autowp.ru_porsche_917_long_tail_1.jpg

You see, the frontal impact absorber on this car happens to be the driver's feet.
Porsche Model History!-autowp.ru_porsche_917k_23.jpg

In this long tail guise, it became a nightmare to drive. The 917 programme seemed almost doomed before an aero upgrade was done.
Porsche Model History!-autowp.ru_porsche_917_2.jpg

Side view of the car in infamous Gulf Oil livery. See the different short tail or "Kurzheck" body style.
Porsche Model History!-autowp.ru_porsche_917k_5.jpg

This is the one that got Porsche it's first overall win at Le Mans 1970.
Porsche Model History!-autowp.ru_porsche_917k_6.jpg

More to follow i.e. the even crazier factory mod-job.
smashnerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:10   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
@ Suhaas: Good job dude. Really interesting readings. Can't wait until this covers all the Porsche line-up especially my favorite - Carrera GT.

@ driverace: Nothing comes close to Need For Speed 5 - Porsche Unleashed, buddy. I have played every NFS game till date but I seriously miss the fun factor of NFS 3 - Hot Pursuit and NFS 5. Ah, good ol' childhood memories. EA just lost its gaming creativity since NFS Underground.
Thats bit OT I know :
You said it Ace F355 !
I have played it in every imaginable option!
Like ABS ON / OFF Trans A/M (in career and Factory driver)
love every aspect of the game!
<even love it more when my friends cant really handle any of the cars in the game, way I do! lolz>
-----
@Smashnerd:
Thats one hoopla of a lineup !
------

Somehow I feel that GT2 feels Porsche + something_thats_not_Porsche.
May be its just me

care,

Ace.
P.S. I am still drooling at Pg2 !!

P.S.1: @Ace F355 : I feel, if you can handle all the Porsches well, then, I think you can drift way better and in control (at least in the games). Definitely good in NFS series + better in Sim games also.

Last edited by driverace : 23rd August 2010 at 20:12.
Old 24th August 2010, 06:49   #67
BHPian

917 : Turbopanzer II

Now, as the new rules banned the 5.0 L engines in the 917 at LeMans, Porsche went to the Can-Am series and ran modified 917's there in the unlimited class. It was a series dominated by McLaren for quite some time. But, all that would soon change...

This 917/10 used a turbocharged 12-cylinder engine making ~850 bhp in race tune and upto 1100 bhp in qualifying mode. This helped Porsche steal the title from McLaren in 1972 :-
Porsche Model History!-500x_91710_l_m_1972_3_lagunaseca_edited.jpg

Power and craziness kept creeping with the newer 917/20 :-
Porsche Model History!-09.jpg

The 917/30 is purely a creation of mad-men to say the least. With 1100 bhp now available for race mode, qualifying power levels were up to a mind-boggling 1580 bhp. This made it the most powerful race car ever made. With a weight of just 816 kg it had a power-to-weight ratio of 1967.36 bhp/tonne in qualifying tune. Acceleration times were just as stunning - 0-100 at 1.9 secs and 0-320 in 10.9 secs!

The legendary Mark Donohue won the 1973 season with all but one race in his bag.
Porsche Model History!-canamporsche4.jpg

Sadly, the 917/xx series are blamed for ending the Can-Am series due to their dangerous power levels. So, it seems that the only way to beat a 917 was to change the rules to prevent it from racing or cancel the whole race/series altogether.

This truly is: "The greatest racing car of all time."
Old 26th February 2016, 16:40   #68
BHPian

Ten of the rarest, most unique factory built Porsches!

Ten of the rarest, most unique factory Porsches ever built.!

Porsche's long history is littered with rare and special cars. Whether they were built as homologation specials for fire-breathing racers, development prototypes, or oddball experiments that were somehow sold to customers, these ten Porsches are some of the wildest cars to ever roll off the Stuttgart assembly line.

1. Porsche 356 Carrera Speedster
Porsche Model History!-page-2.jpg
The Speedster and Carrera variants of the legendary Porsche 356 are among the most sought after by collectors. Only 151 were built in total.

2. Porsche 356B Abarth Carrera GTL
Porsche Model History!-page-3.jpg
Abarth is most closely associated with Fiat, but Carlo Abarth's tuning firm worked with nearly everyone in the 1950s and 1960s. Porsche approached Abarth in 1959 to build a new lightweight body for the 356B Carrera because the German automaker was too busy with its fledgling Formula 1 effort. The result led to a class victory at the 1960 24 Hours of Le Mans and one of the most achingly gorgeous Porsches ever built.

3. Porsche 911R
Porsche Model History!-page-4.jpg
In 1967, Porsche designed a fiberglass-bodied 911 to be homologated for competition, but it was rejected by the FIA. Instead of building the 500 required for homologation, Porsche built just 23 examples of the 911R, which were 50-hp more powerful and 350 pounds lighter than the standard 911S. The 911R found success in rally, where homologation requirements were less stringent.

4. Porsche 914-8
Porsche Model History!-page-5.jpg
The 928 may have been the first eight-cylinder Porsche production car, but it wasn't the first time Porsche engineers stuffed eight pistons in a road car. Porsche built two 914/8s equipped with the 3.0-litre flat-eight from the 908 race car. The 914/8s, which were owned by Ferdinand Piech and Ferry Porsche, were more intended as development cars and were by some accounts, incredibly unrefined. The engine in Piech's car (pictured) was mostly unchanged from the 908, making his 914/8 quite a handful on the street.

5. Porsche 911 S/T
Porsche Model History!-page-6.jpg
If you didn't know where Singer's glorious "Reimagined" 911s draw their inspiration from, it's this car, the 911 S/T. Somewhat of a precursor to the legendary 1973 Carrera RS, Porsche built 33 S/Ts in 1970 and 1971. The S/Ts received incredibly gorgeous fender flares and a twin-plug 2.5-litre flat-six.

6. Porsche 924 Carrera GT
Porsche Model History!-page-7.jpg
At first glance, you might think you're looking at a 944, but you'd be mistaken. This is the 924 Carrera GT, a roadgoing version of the turbocharged 924 that Porsche took to Le Mans in the early 1980s. The 924 Carrera GT predates the 944 and you can see what Porsche had in mind when designing the latter. Only 426 were built, making it substantially rarer than the Carrera GT supercar of the mid 2000s.

7. Porsche 935 Street
Porsche Model History!-page-8.jpg
If you ever see this car, consider yourself incredibly lucky, as its the only road-going version of the incredible 935 race car ever built. Mansour Ojjeh–owner of the TAG Group, which owns a part of McLaren–approached Porsche Exclusive to build a street version of the 935 in the early 1980s. It wears the incredible bodywork of the 935 and uses a 3.3-liter turbocharged flat-six that makes 375-hp. Unlike the race car, the interior is quite luxurious.

8. Porsche 964 Turbo S Flachbau
Porsche Model History!-page-9.jpg
The flat-nose, or Flachbau in German, was a 1980s icon, but it survived into the 1990s. This model was built as a limited edition celebration of the end of 964 production and featured the 385-hp 3.6-litre motor found in the 964 Turbo S. Only 93 were built, so seeing one on the road is highly unlikely.

9. Porsche 993 Carrera RS
Porsche Model History!-page-10.jpg
The 993 Carrera RS is the sort of car that can reduce a Porsche nut into an incoherent fool. Only 1,000 of these lightened 993s were built and each used a 3.8-litre flat-six that made 300-hp. It's arguably the best naturally-aspirated, air-cooled 911 ever built, which to many, makes it the best 911 ever built.

10. Porsche 911 GT1 Strassenversion
Porsche Model History!-page-11.jpg
You could say this is the ultimate 911, but really the 911 GT1 Strassenversion is a 911 in name only. Built for the FIA's GT1 class, the 911 GT1 Strassenversion uses a turbocharged flat-six mounted in the middle of a tubular space frame chassis. Only 25 were built, making both the 918 Spyder and Carrera GT seem like ordinarny 911s.

Source:
http://www.msn.com/en-ae/cars/enthus...tandhp#image=4
cbatrody is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 17:04   #69
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ten of the rarest, most unique factory built Porsches!

The 356 looks best of them all !! I find the 914 and 924 oddly good looking cars. How come 550 spyder is not in the list ?
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 18:01   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
How come 550 spyder is not in the list ?
I agree, even 550 Spyder should have been there in the list.

Porsche Model History!-littlebastardjamesdeanporsche550spyder6.jpg

The Porsche 550 was a racing sports car produced by Porsche from 1953-1956. Inspired by the Porsche 356 which was created by Ferry Porsche, and some spyder prototypes built and raced by Walter Glöckler starting in 1951, the factory decided to build a car designed for use in auto racing. The model Porsche 550 Spyder was introduced at the 1953 Paris Auto Show. The 550 was very low to the ground, in order to be efficient for racing. In fact, former German Formula One racer Hans Herrmann drove it under closed railroad crossing gates during the 1954 Mille Miglia.
Old 26th February 2016, 18:03   #71
BHPian

I have driven nearly all of them. NFS5- Porsche Unleashed.

The computer game takes you through the history of Porsche wherein you drive from 356 to the 911 and the GT comes as bonus car. This thread made me remember it. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by saion666 : 26th February 2016 at 18:08.
saion666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 15:51   #72
Senior - BHPian

Re: Porsche Model History!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
After the first prototypes were produced, Porsche for some reason decided to name it's new model 901. Little did they know, Peugeot was the first to pounce on them for infringement of copyrights. Peugeot had rights to the 901 beforehand, according to them,
because the combination of three - with a zero in the middle - was patented. Porsche immediately responded by changing the model number to 911, but by then a few 901s had already made it to the streets. Out of the four original prototypes one is believed to exist even today, and any of the 901s are highly sought after as collectibles.
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here is one 901 that Porsche themselves found and paid an unknown sum for in 2014. They took 3 years to restore it and here is the finished product. The 911 (901 No. 57) will be kept in the Porsche Museum.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks