Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2020, 22:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar-Land Rover showcases a healthier seat

Jaguar Land Rover has demonstrated a morphing seat that tricks the brain to believe that we are walking, even when seated.

Jaguar-Land Rover showcases a healthier seat-jaguar-land-rovers-new-shapeshifting-seat-future-makes-you-think-youre-walking-1.jpg

Developed by the carmaker's Body Interiors Research division, the seat makes use of a series of actuators in the seat foam to create micro adjustments. These can be tweaked as per the requirements of each passenger. The company aims to mitigate the health risks of sitting down for too long using this technology.

It is reported that over 1.4 billion people worldwide are leading increased sedentary lifestyles, which is said to shorten muscles in the legs, hips and gluteals causing back pain. The average UK driver covers 234 km every week driving a car. The new seat simulates the rhythm of walking - a movement known as pelvic oscillation to reduce the discomfort of sitting for too long in one place.

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by benbsb29 : 22nd January 2020 at 04:42. Reason: Corrected typo.
blackwasp is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 09:01   #2
BHPian

Re: Jaguar-Land Rover showcases a healthier seat

This is a great development from JLR! The culture of sitting and performing literally any task has really affected the muscular and bone development of people. Plus, our postures have become severely hunched, especially affecting taller folk.

The way we sit can literally determine our physical development.
BZ25 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 10:23   #3
KMT
BHPian

On Indian roads this would be redundant, we get plenty of pelvic and other occilations every moment we spend on the road. I am sure our brain thinks we are jumping let alone walking.

Jokes apart, this should help Commercial drivers a lot.
Just the other day I was reading about the new Hyundai Grandeurs in Aus that are now being launched with seats like hospital mattress, the ones that have an air compressor that keep changing pressure points to prevent bed sores.

Thanks for sharing this, it looks like there are plenty of new techs coming our way, we need to wait for the likes of Kia and Hyundai to make it available to the mainstream market (ie to make it affordable).
KMT is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 12:25   #4
BHPian

I find this video very helpful. I have seen 90% of people move the car seat as close as possible to the steering wheel and their legs are always make 90 deg angles. Which is really a bad driving posture. I also used to do that for the longest time until I saw a similar video, which helped me a lot with knee pain during the long drives.
nisshith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 10:55   #5
Team-BHP Support

Very good development by Jaguar Land Rover. Many of us spend hours in the car seat and unknowingly cause a lot of damage to our bodies. This technology will certainly go a long way in reducing the chances of injuries.

The video is educative too. Those who have struggled with driving positions will certainly benefit from it. There was a time when I was doing things wrong as well. It took a while to get my driving position right. Now that I have watched the video, it feels good to know that I have been doing things the correct way.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st January 2020 at 10:57.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 13:56   #6
BHPian

And excellent video showing how to seat well. I thought I was supporting my laziness but unknowingly was following same things that had helped me drive for 12 hours a day and still remain fresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
On Indian roads this would be redundant, we get plenty of pelvic and other occilations every moment we spend on the road. I am sure our brain thinks we are jumping let alone walking.
We need reverse of this technology that tells brain we are stable and not moving. This should prevent many people having motion sickness (I get it when not driving myself) and eye strain due to seeing vibrating world.
Capricorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 19:53   #7
BHPian

That's an exciting innovation!

Here's hoping that the technology makes it's way to office chairs too in the not-so-distant future, to make our (read IT folks'- many of whom struggle with back pain, yours truly included) lives easier!
Old 26th January 2020, 20:04   #8
BHPian

Jaguar-Land Rover showcases a healthier seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post

Jokes apart

Except it is not a joke. I wear apple watch and my exercise ring completes many a times or is very far ahead and move ring is also ahead by the time I reach office as the watch thinks I am exercising and moving while I am sitting In my Company bus.

Last edited by raksrules : 26th January 2020 at 20:06.
Old 26th January 2020, 20:23   #9
BHPian

Innovation is always loudable. But it's still a Jag.

I am wondering why manufacturers can't make use of Memory Foam to common man's advantage. My cousin bought a spine supporting matress this week which got a memory foam layer just above the rest of material (hard layer). It feels soft when one touches it, but only to be surprised once you lay flat. Memory foam does the trick by embracing you at each part of your back, while your spine gets the right stiffness from inside of it.

Or is it that the manufacturers have just decided to use every trick in the book to advertise every change as a premium thing, no matter how simple it may actually be.
JBIBS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 13:15   #10
BHPian

Feeling of walking - this is different. Otherwise, it appears to be similar to the Active Seats of BMW.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks