Third-gen (W140) 84 22.16%
Fourth-gen (W220) 18 4.75%
Fifth-gen (W221) 36 9.50%
Sixth-gen (W222) 135 35.62%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2020, 21:46   #31
BHPian

Re: Mercedes S-Class: Which is your favourite generation?

Voted W126

To me, when you say " S class ", the image of the W126 is what pops up in my head first. I used to sketch cars a lot. This S class is what I used to sketch for a merc. We used to see droves of these in the Middle East during my teen years. They were the default choice of rich locals and well-to-do expats there. The roads and used car showrooms were so full of them at one time, that I stopped getting excited when I see one. I was only fortunate to sit in these a few times. In the era of the growling V6 and V8 American cars, the silence inside these cars was bewitching.

The SE, SEL, and SEC body styles all looked good. 420 and 500s were the common engine choices there. You occasionally see the 'poverty spec' 280 SE. Then there were the rare 560 and even more rarer 1000 SELs.

There were also the ridiculous SDLs (for that time, especially with cheap petrol prices and expensive diesel in the gulf) which I used to ogle at disbelievingly. Those were the times when black fumes from the rear exhaust was a fashion statement and not perceived as politically incorrect.

Last edited by psispace : 19th February 2020 at 21:56.
psispace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 22:17   #32
BHPian

I have driven all S class models but first one W116 and Second one W126. This is a tough choice to make as W126, W140 and W222 are all very strong contenders for best S class position and each one of these 3 have their strengths. I am going with W126 even though I haven’t driven it purely on timeless design. However, W140 was much superior car for what it offered during its time. And as far as W222 is concerned, it’s a very capable car that continues to dominate even with much stronger competition from other 2 Germans and Lexus.

Off topic: Worst S class will be very easy to choose: W220.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 22:57   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
When I had read about the 600 which had a hydraulic system to operate the doors, boot etc, I was completely sold (I think it was featured in Top Gear at some point). Of course it wasn't known as the S class at that time.

From the list, I would go for the W220, especially the S65 AMG variant, a proper S-Class has to have a V12!
Can't agree more!
Our 2012 pair of V8 & V12 W221s are still going strong with 90k and 27k on the odo. The difference the TTv12 600 has on the NA 500 is huge. Whereas the V8 has explosive power and a nice grunt, the V12s linear, buttery smooth and never ending delivery is addictive even though it only has 5 gears vs the 7 in the V8.
Not to mention the leather/tray tables/hydraulic suspension which makes the difference even larger.

P.S ofcourse I voted w221.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes S-Class: Which is your favourite generation?-img_20191017_231609__01.jpg  

Last edited by mkaysaw : 19th February 2020 at 23:01. Reason: Forgot vote.
mkaysaw is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 23:00   #34
BHPian

Voted for the Gen 6.

Traditionally I have loved the old Benz for the presence they carry, for me the last Benz was the W124, this was until I chanced upon a full black 6th Gen S Class parked at the Decathlon Anubhava Airport road, I was unable to take my eyes off it. The car had the presence of the old Benz, it had an imposing nature and exuded power, true Mafia type.
Old 19th February 2020, 23:19   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Watching if anyone opts for w220- which in my opinion aged horribly

Although it didn't age as well as any of the other models, I still wouldn't call it a bad design. You see, before this car came, Mercedes Benz used to build their cars with solid 90 degree slabs of metal and carried the overall boxy shape. It was the W220 that brought in the curves and eventually paved the way for a whole new design philosophy which we see in more 'curvaceous' Mercs of modern times.
So, I feel this was more of a transition car in terms of design.
Old 20th February 2020, 00:55   #36
Team-BHP Support

Difficult one

Emotionally - its the W116 as it was the first car I actually drove
Pure Lust - the W126 - I loved and lusted at it when it came out with its aerodynamic looks
Absolute Feel Good - The W221, I love the rear haunches and have been chauffeured around in one on many a business trip and felt really "bad ass"
Old 20th February 2020, 03:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Torn between the W126 and W140. Both were brilliant cars and really over-engineered masterpieces. Obviously the newer car is better because it is a generation ahead, but in a sense the 126 was more ahead of its time and bested all competitors. The 140 was matched, if not bettered, by the Lexus LS.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 04:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the latest. I find this generation of the S Class simply oozing with grandeur. Nothing beats it. There is a black W222 in my neighborhood that I pass several times every day, when I do the school, office, lunch run. Every time I pass that car, I tell myself, I got to find the owner and ask him/her to hire me as their driver. Not for bragging rights. I just want to take all the time in the world and appreciate the beauty that it is.

I got hooked to the S Class with the W126, in a print ad in Cathay Pacific's Discovery magazine. Most top end car ad's I've seen were in this in flight magazine. Every issue had some high end car in it. Not sports cars. BMW and Mercedes were regular advertisers. There was one ad for the 7 series and I was impressed. I then saw an ad which had a black W126 and it took a good while for me to flip to the next page. This car was grand. It made the BMW look like just another car you see on the road.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 20th February 2020 at 04:37.
Old 20th February 2020, 14:08   #39
BHPian

Voted for the W222. While I like the timeless design of those older generations, my blood keeps pumping faster whenever I see the new generation on the road. Its sheer road presence and elegance is simply unmatched. The interior looks classy and superior compared to its rivals.
Old 20th February 2020, 14:56   #40
BHPian

Wish I could vote for all !!!

Mercedes is one marque I dream to own. Haven't been able to afford one as yet

If I get a chance would love to own a W126 or W140. These are embedded in my mind since childhood. The newer generations do fascinate me but the magic of W126 and W140 was something different.
Old 20th February 2020, 15:07   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

I have no experience with these cars, however from they way they look 116 and 126 appears to be made without a care in the world as to how much it would cost to build it.

From there its nothing special in terms of looks, I`m sure there is tech and specs etc that maybe better than its rivals and of course the other two German brands have gone significantly uglier in their later releases.
Old 20th February 2020, 19:48   #42
BHPian

Having seen a sea of current generation S Class (W222) on Dubai streets, it does give a magic-carpet like feeling even by looking at it drive by. But my all-time favourite is the W221. It gives a sharper and sportier essence to the best car in the world.

Cannot forget the episode of Top Gear where the classic three went out to find the best car for the Albanian Mafia and Jeremy Clarkson shouting while driving the W221 S 65AMG, "WHAT A MACHINE!". The truest character of the car captured by the crew.
It has to be one of the best Top gear episodes.
Old 20th February 2020, 21:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

It has to be the W140. Nothing else on roads has or had, that kind of presence and afaik, it became "IN"famous when lady Diana died in a W140 that fateful night. My dream car still is a W140 S class. The W126 comes in at a close second, though I believe its the W126 that created the S class aura that is still a tough act to follow for competitors.
Old 21st February 2020, 02:02   #44
BHPian

W126 for me.

On my way to the college, I used to see one W126 parked in front of a bungalow. Each time I passed it over, my eyes just kept staring and my mouth watered. I used to slow down deliberately as I reached the place just to have the extended glimpse of the wonderful machine.

I am not much into the mechanicals or the technology underneath it, but just that the W126 was my first crush, it wins my vote.
Old 22nd February 2020, 13:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

The most exclusive S class in the world.

Only 10 have been built.

For the Sultan of Brunei. It's a S 73 T AMG Estate. The engine is a Pagani Zonda engine shoehorned by AMG into this car.

Features a 7.3 litre V12 engine that delivers 565 BHP. Originally built for the Zonda supercar but because the Sultan requested 10 and wanted only this engine, they also built 10 engines for the cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes S-Class: Which is your favourite generation?-1image.jpeg  

Mercedes S-Class: Which is your favourite generation?-2image.jpeg  

Mercedes S-Class: Which is your favourite generation?-3image.jpeg  

AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks