Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2021, 18:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

A 1995 McLaren F1 with just 400 km on the odometer is up for auction!

The McLaren F1 is one of the most iconic supercars to date. The unique seating position, the Le Mans-winning pedigree and a limited run of just 106 units are just some of the things which make it so special.

A 1995 McLaren F1 with just 400 km on the odometer is up for auction!-1995mclarenf1auction1.jpg

Among them is this, a unique model with a special 'Creighton Brown' colour scheme and an odometer reading of less than 400 km. This 1995 McLaren F1, with chassis no. 29, will soon be up for auction by the Gooding & Co. at Pebble Beach between August 13 and 14, 2021.

A 1995 McLaren F1 with just 400 km on the odometer is up for auction!-1995mclarenf1auction3.jpg

Expected to fetch upwards of US$ 15 million, this McLaren F1 is said to be as original as it gets. The car still sits on the original set of Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres. It also comes included with the original toolkit and luggage set.

A 1995 McLaren F1 with just 400 km on the odometer is up for auction!-1995mclarenf1auction2.jpg

The car is said to have spent most of its life in a private collection in Japan and has rarely been seen out in public. The car is said to be hardly driven and exceptionally maintained, keeping it in a near as-delivered condition.

A 1995 McLaren F1 with just 400 km on the odometer is up for auction!-1995mclarenf1auction5.jpg

The McLaren F1 was the brainchild of Gordon Murray and was hailed as a mechanical masterpiece at the time of its first unveil, back in 1992. The F1 made use of state-of-the-art materials, including carbon, Kevlar, titanium and even gold.

A 1995 McLaren F1 with just 400 km on the odometer is up for auction!-1995mclarenf1auction4.jpg

The McLaren F1 is powered by a 6.0-litre, naturally-aspirated V12 engine, producing 600 BHP while redlining at 7,500 rpm. It even held the title of the 'world's fastest production car', with a top speed of 240 mph (386.2 km/h).

Source: Gooding & Co.

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 22nd June 2021 at 18:07.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 18:15   #2
BHPian

Re: A 1995 McLaren F1 with just 400 km on the odometer is up for auction!

What an absolute beauty. Even after all these decades, she looks so beautiful. I wonder why the current owners want to bid adieu to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Expected to fetch upwards of US$ 15 million, this McLaren F1 is said to be as original as it gets. The car still sits on the original set of Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres. It also comes included with the original toolkit and luggage set.
How does one even arrive at a price for such a car? I mean even the tyres are original. And a mere triple digits on the odo, that too sub 500.
RedTerrano is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 19:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Irony!

I usually tend to listen to Ed Bolian from VINwiki Car Stories while editing and the story about the El Chapo McLaren F1 was the one I chose yesterday. He mentioned that there were only 2 brown McLaren F1's on the planet and this was one of them. I went online to find it yesterday and couldn't find any history about it and now here they are.

Do take a listen to these stories, they're fantastic for car buffs.
akash_v12 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 19:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
How does one even arrive at a price for such a car? I mean even the tyres are original. And a mere triple digits on the odo, that too sub 500.
One important factor could be the running/maintenance cost involved in owning an McLaren F1 even if you run it only 400 kms in 26 years of ownership.

Of all the service procedures on a McLaren F1, arguably the most involved is the replacement of the fuel cell, which is required every five years. Below is a full rundown of the process, including the hours required for each job. As you can see, while the car is ostensibly in for the cell change, McLaren’s technicians do a lot more to the car to ensure it leaves the workshop as the factory intended.

- Remove and refit engine - 28.5 hours

- Prep fuel cell aperture with tank tape and replace fuel tank - 8 hours

- Replace all breather and fuel hoses and carbon canisters - 8 hours

- Rebuild fuel tower and carry out pressure test to fuel tank - 8 hours

- Replace anti-corrosion tape to engine mounts - 3 hours

- Clean and detail engine, gearbox and ancillaries - 6 hours

- Carry out full suspension set-up - 8 hours

- Carry out final sign-off road test 7 hours

Total time - 83.5 hours

Source: https://https://www.autocar.co.uk/ca...ing-mclaren-f1

Then the rarity factor also decides the price like the last F1 which sold for $19.5 million as it was an LM spec of which Mclaren made only 2 from the total 106.

But even 400 kms is a lot if you consider the number of F1's which are in Brunei, which far fewer or maybe even 0 miles
SnS_12 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 21:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Accessories with the car
A 1995 McLaren F1 with just 400 km on the odometer is up for auction!-f1-toolkit.png
A 1995 McLaren F1 with just 400 km on the odometer is up for auction!-f1-watch.png
Image source:https://www.goodingco.com/lot/1995-mclaren-f1-1/

This car comes with a host of support devices and tools too like a portable tool set shelf, bags, watch etc. Talk about cars from a different era ! Like they have advertised, this truly is the 'opportunity of a lifetime !' This was a pinnacle of automobile engineering in the mid 90's. For a petrolhead whose pockets were not deep then and has made a fortune later, this will truly be a special moment If purchased by someone not into cars, like the previous owner the new owner will buy it and it will pop up for an auction 25 years later ! Hope I have the money ready then
TrackDay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 22:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

That watch which came along with the car would have been one of the most expenses watches back then as to have it you have to but a million $ car.

The most important tool might be the modem which came with the car, which would help Mclaren engineer’s identify the faults remotely and this was in the 90’s.

There is a story that a German owner used to commute to work daily in his F1 and he claimed he used to 200mph driving on the Autobahn. McLaren engineers never believed this until they downloaded the data from the modem and were shocked to discover that the owner was indeed doing those speeds on a daily basis

This has to be one of my all time favourite cars for the technology and the features this car has and being the first $1 million car Mclaren didn’t even make a profit by selling it that price hence, you can imagine the kind of investment they put into making this legendary car. The only other manufacturer I know off to sell a car at no profit was the LFA from Lexus with that beautiful sounding V10.
SnS_12 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 01:13   #7
BHPian

Oh this particular car has been popping up all over my Instagram.

The F1 has been such a source of fascination for my inner petrolhead.

The link below is a recent post I stumbled across, just listening plasters a wide grin on one's face.

Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/COWkGjtp..._web_copy_link

This person's instagram handle in general is well curated with lots of information, do check out.
ibisbrew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 12:08   #8
BHPian

The first emotion i felt on reading this was sadness . An exquisite machine like this, made for the pure joy of driving, was only driven by the owner for a measly 400 kms over a period of 25+ years. Not sure if they bought it as an investment. To each his own i guess.
lordrayden is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 12:38   #9
BHPian

This is one of the best (if not the best) example of F1 I have seen in recent years. If going by VinWiki, it is definitely bound to have some background story into the low mileage in 26 years. Ownership of McLaren F1 is something even hardcore collector enthusiasts have given up due to the difficulties of servicing it. Heck, even accessing the service codes requires it to be hardwired to an analog internet modem from early 90's. Yet perfect halo car for all automobile enthusiasts.
Straight6_N54 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 09:40   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly off topic, But will spares be available for this low volume niche cars?
Old 24th June 2021, 09:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Any person who purchases this beautiful car in auction, I am sure will not drive it beyond 1000 kms in next 30 years. He will purchase this car to display as antique piece at his palace and use one of his several other cars from his stable for his daily use.
Old 24th June 2021, 10:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Slightly off topic, But will spares be available for this low volume niche cars?
Yes, McLaren keeps spares in stock for these cars. They are actually a decent source of income, because they are so valuable that owners will prefer to fly them to Woking for any major work, and trust only McL authentic spares.
v1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 11:15   #13
BHPian

If I had the money to buy one of these, I'd buy a properly driven one which I can actually enjoy. Cars are to be driven and cars such as these, must be driven hard, that is what the F1 was designed for. It's sad to see that some of them are garage queened.
OctYFAN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 12:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Yes, McLaren keeps spares in stock for these cars. They are actually a decent source of income, because they are so valuable that owners will prefer to fly them to Woking for any major work, and trust only McL authentic spares.
More than the income the brand recognition the F1 brings on the table for McLaren is more valuable. F1 was their first production car and the next one the 12C came in 2011.

So apart from racing they had to just produce and maintain spares for the F1 and with the values one commands today even after 29 years I don't think owners will have issues getting spares as McLaren has a rough idea on the amount of spares it needs to produce and know for a fact that most of them won't be staying on the shelf for years to come with just 106 cars produced till date.
Old 24th June 2021, 12:52   #15

The McLaren F1 has been my personal favourite ever since I raced it against a Ferrari F50 in Need For Speed II back when I was 4-5 years old. I believe it is the ultimate human achievement in automotive engineering atleast when it comes to gasoline powered naturally aspirated cars. A car like the one mentioned above and in this specification should set a new world record (as if the F1 hasn't set enough of them already) for being the most expensive F1 sold yet. Every F1 fan should check out the latest video series by Carfection on YouTube which includes the F1 and it's arch-rivals; Porsche 911 GT1 and Mercedes CLK GTR.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks