Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2021, 14:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

GM Cars: No seatbelt? AT won't shift out of "Park"

General Motors will soon be introducing a new 'Buckle-to-drive' feature across a number of its models. This new feature will not allow drivers to shift their AT vehicles out of 'Park mode' until the seat belt is properly buckled in.

Name:  buckletodrive.png
Views: 619
Size:  458.6 KB

According to a media report, the feature was introduced as part of its 'Teen Driver mode' back in 2019. However, the company will now introduce it as a standard safety feature across a number of its 2022 SUVs and full-size trucks, such as the Chevrolet Silverado and the GMC Sierra. Reports also suggest that the company could further expand the safety feature in 2023, enforcing even the front passenger to buckle up as well.

As per the reports, the buckle-to-drive feature will not allow drivers to shift out of the Park mode until they buckle up their seat belts. Once the ignition is on, the feature will provide audible chimes and a message on the MID, reminding drivers to buckle up. Also, while drivers will be able to switch off the feature, it will be switched back on again automatically at each ignition cycle.

Source: GM-Techlink

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 14:29   #2
BHPian

Re: GM Cars: No seatbelt? AT won't shift out of "Park"

It’s a good feature for people who genuinely like to follow safety procedures.

For folks who don’t believe in safety belts, there’s no way it will have any impact especially when workarounds like this are available for a few dollars/rupees.

https://www.amazon.in/HOME-CUBE-Univ...t+belt+&sr=8-3

Last edited by warrioraks : 25th August 2021 at 14:40.
warrioraks is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 14:31   #3
BHPian

A lot of automatic cars do not disengage EPB if the driver is not wearing a seatbelt, however the driver can manually dis-engage the EPB.
While this is a welcome move but a simple thing like the below can make this feature useless : -

Name:  Seat Belt Alarm Stopper.png
Views: 633
Size:  538.3 KB
Dhillon is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 14:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Great initiative but it still won't work in getting people who don't want to belt up belted up.

I think the only possible solution is to have a RFID chip in the buckle so the system can detect that the actual seat belt has been buckled in ! (Yes, another chip to add to the semi conductor dependence ).

This still won't address the problem where the seat belt is kept permanently buckled and people sit over them !
fiat_tarun is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 14:42   #5
BHPian

Good! Should be the same even for passengers.
But what if the belt is unbuckled after you shift? I sometimes remove the seatbelt when I am parking inside very compact spaces where I have to take my head out of the window.
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 15:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

While it's a safety addition, doesn't it add one more point of failure? If the computer fails to read even after one has buckled up, you're stranded. Earlier, a reed switch(mechanism to detect if the passenger has buckled up or not) failure means the seat belt indicator wouldn't show up correctly on the dash but here you can't move your car. Or if the seat belt tongue or buckle is damaged for some reason, it's trouble.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 25th August 2021 at 15:20.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 15:16   #7
BHPian

I prefer to have the seat belt reminder to come on only after the car reaches a certain speed. I turn the ignition on only after I am buckled up... so this is something I can get used to. As others have mentioned it will be rendered useless by people who buckle the seat belt behind their backs. Almost all Volvo and Force Traveller drivers do this. Even an RFID that detects if the proper hook is inserted won't help.
Old 25th August 2021, 16:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
While it's a safety addition, doesn't it add one more point of failure? .
My thought exactly. God forbid if that sensor malfunctions I don't like the idea that I can't take the car out of park. At the end of the day, you can lead the horse to the water ...

I think a simple beep is a disincentive enough. If someone wants to side step this, I have anyway seen them belt in the buckle and sit "over" the seatbelt. Just like many helmets are mostly protecting riders' elbows and side mirrors on motorbikes, worne only when a cop is sighted in the vicinity.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 17:11   #9
BHPian

I have been in cabs where the driver just doesn't get annoyed by the seat belt chime. They just keep driving through the annoying sound like nothing was amiss. For such drivers, not wearing a seatbelt is worth all other hassles. They'll find a way around this and most other features designed to encourage seat belt wearing.
Old 25th August 2021, 17:38   #10
BHPian

I just figured out yesterday that if I don't wear seat belt and start reversing my car, it automatically shifts to P with a warning.

The enforcements do not matter as there are many workarounds available. Infact, a quick Google search can lead you to many websites that sell T-Shirts with printed seat belts.
Old 25th August 2021, 17:51   #11
BHPian

What’s the point!? When buckle locks are available freely, who would care about it.
I would suggest for a trigger to activate when a certain amount of seat belt length is pulled out. Even a thin adult will take up some amount of belt length. But people are creative. They’ll pull it behind the seats and buckle up.
It frustrates me that when people themselves aren’t worried about their lives, what’s the point in enforcing something. Same thing is happening with vaccination as well. People want to get vaccinated to be able to roam around freely rather than getting it done for their safety.
Old 25th August 2021, 17:55   #12
BHPian

What is to stop someone from unbuckling after shifting into D? Useless features that just add more potential points of failure.
Old 25th August 2021, 18:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

This feature reminds of the 80/120 km/h speed gong discussions that are a rage on this forum, for obvious reasons

On a serious note, the article mentions certain ways to "unbuckle" this feature:-
Quote:
the vehicle can be shifted out of Park once the feature times out and the DIC message is no longer displayed
Quote:
Buckle to Drive can be turned off through the Settings menu on the infotainment screen; go to Settings > Vehicle > Buckle to Drive. On vehicles that include the feature as part of Teen Driver Mode, go to Settings > Vehicle > Teen Driver. The vehicle may need to be restarted to register the setting change.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 00:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
While it's a safety addition, doesn't it add one more point of failure? If the computer fails to read even after one has buckled up, you're stranded.
Yes, a valid point on another safety implication. That's ECU ford tried to do it by limiting the speed that the vehicle can go without seatbelt buckled.

But, in any design there are multiple ways to address a problem. Apart from options to disable the feature, if I were to provide a solution for this, I would have a fallback mode in software that if there is fault on switch or ECU(detected via electronic diagnostics - not talking about OBD info), then allow to shift. Secondly the pretensioner load can be used to see if belt is stuck or really buckled (like many showed a fake seat belt buckle). Still I would say it doesn't eliminate 100% risk of getting stranded.

Last edited by saikarthik : 26th August 2021 at 00:33.
saikarthik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 09:39   #15
BHPian

this a nice implementation of safety, but its for those who mistakenly forget to buckle up and will never impact those who deliberately want to skip the seat belt. anyone who wants to skip the belt can use any one of the measures available in the market to fool the system. as far as India is concerned, most of the Indians will wear any safety equipment just to avoid Challan and as its compulsory, as soon as they know that no one is going to check they will avoid using it. (same implies to helmets on bike). as i always tell to many that not wearing a belt or an helmet is as good as walking on a edge of a cliff, you haven't had a fall for several times dose not mean you will not have one, and if you fall you know the results. so any such safety feature is only for those who are wise enough not to walk on the edge and in case by mistake they do they'll get warned.

Most Viewed