Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2022, 11:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota & Yamaha develop 444 BHP hydrogen-powered 5.0-litre V8 engine

Toyota & Yamaha are reported to be working together to develop a new 5.0-litre naturally-aspirated V8 engine that runs exclusively on hydrogen. The new engine is said to be part of the collaboration between Toyota, Yamaha, Mazda, Subaru & Kawasaki to continue developing IC engine technology while meeting emission targets.

Toyota & Yamaha develop 444 BHP hydrogen-powered 5.0-litre V8 engine-toyotayamahah2v8engine.jpg

The 5.0-litre naturally-aspirated V8 is based on the engine powering the Lexus RC F Coupe. While the engine block itself isn't new, it does feature modifications to the inlet manifolds, heads, inlet & other components, allowing it to run exclusively on hydrogen. The engine also comes with a top-mounted 8-to-1 exhaust manifold, which Yamaha claims, creates a very distinctive sound.

Yamaha states that the hydrogen-powered V8 engine produces 444 BHP @ 6,800 rpm and 540 Nm @ 3,600 rpm.

Both companies, though, haven't revealed whether or not the hydrogen-powered V8 will debut on any production car. However, Toyota is committed to the concept since it did run a hydrogen-powered Corolla in Japan's Super Taikyu race series last year.

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 18th February 2022 at 11:50.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 22:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Toyota & Yamaha develop 444 BHP hydrogen-powered 5.0-litre V8 engine

That my friend is the most unique intake manifold I've ever seen till date! I guess it's more of injecting hydrogen than air in the cylinders. Whatever that may be, i seriously want a wankel engine reboot/ hydrogen powered wankel engine (Mazda RX 7&8). The simplicity of the engine working and complexity to repair it , killed it, but I truely believe that more parts you can sell , higher profits was the moto, so the entire automobile industry wanted it to be killed and succeeded too at that.

Off topic:
How they sound
FASTLIFE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 23:35   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

This makes me very excited and happy. These old boys still have some fight left in them. I'd like to see if they go into mass production
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 08:36   #4

phew!
I thought my chances of buying a sports car from new were going from slim to none, but this could be something if it actually is mass produced.
Please let the ICE live for longer :'(
Old 19th February 2022, 09:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Yamaha tuned engine!!!

Rumour is that the LC300 would be one to have the experimental engine mounted on. Confused at Toyota not using the 2UR 5.0 V8 for other models. The new LS begs for the engine, yet Toyota doesn't give it. Yet, it launches the IS 500 with the same engine. CAFE norms at play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTLIFE View Post
Whatever that may be, i seriously want a wankel engine reboot/ hydrogen powered wankel engine (Mazda RX 7&8).
Mazda seems to have not given up on Wankel/rotary engines. Still planning to use it on their PHEVs.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 21:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Here is why Hydrogen engine is a dead end.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks