Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2022, 12:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai patents new eye scanner tech to unlock & drive cars; Could replace traditional car keys

Hyundai is reported to have patented a new technology that could replace traditional car keys. The new tech, called the "Iris identification system", will scan the eyes of a person to verify his identity.

The iris scanner will come paired with an infrared camera to identify the driver in case he is wearing glasses or there is any other obstruction on his face. Further, the system will be able to either adjust the lighting or ask the driver to remove the obstruction in order to get the required iris scan. The eye scanner could be positioned on the dashboard and will even be able to move the steering wheel automatically to get a clear scan.

Hyundai patents new eye scanner tech to unlock & drive cars; Could replace traditional car keys-genesisg9011.jpg

Once the eye scanner verifies the driver, he will be allowed to unlock, enter & drive the car. The system will also be able to adjust the seat and steering wheel position as per the driver's preference.

The eye scanner tech is believed to be a fool-proof method as the human iris is unique and rarely matches another one. Also, the image can be easily stored and used for future use.

Hyundai already offers fingerprint tech on its Genesis brand. The luxury models can be unlocked via the owner's smartphone while the fingerprint tech is used to switch on the engines. If brought into the market, the iris identification system could be a natural extension of this existing tech. The Korean carmaker could also introduce the tech in some of Hyundai & Kia's models in the future.

Source: TheDrive

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 22nd April 2022 at 12:23.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 12:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai patents new eye scanner tech to unlock & drive cars; Could replace traditional car keys

Translation: Companies are racing ahead to collect more personal data.

There will be a point where one feels safer on public transit, while cars will go all out to collect every single info about its users.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 22nd April 2022 at 12:52.
giri1.8 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 13:07   #3
BHPian

Re: Hyundai patents new eye scanner tech to unlock & drive cars; Could replace traditional car keys

So to open the boot, I have to get myself scanned at the driver side and then proceed on to open the boot. _/|\_ Hyundai.
saisree is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 06:40   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Companies are racing ahead to collect more personal data.
With such capable smartphones in our pocket, I think the time has come to say goodbye to the "key". In fact with technology overall (cheap fingerprint scanners, eye scanners), I really don't know why we are all roaming around with bulky car keys in our pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
So to open the boot, I have to get myself scanned at the driver side and then proceed on to open the boot. _/|\_ Hyundai.
It's the Koreans, man. They are the masters of features. You can leave it to them to mass-produce scanners and make them cheap. Then, you'll have one in front of the boot (maybe next to the HMSL), the bonnet and even all 4 doors!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 15:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Already existing rear camera can be upgraded with face ID, no ? think about it.
Old 24th April 2022, 16:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
Already existing rear camera can be upgraded with face ID, no ? think about it.
Rear camera is tad lower. As GTO says, It has to be somewhere around HMSL if they want to integrate it. But, it may create problems for children if they have to operate boot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks