Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2022, 11:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
To be specific, the GTI ClubSport smokes the Civic Type R off the line and I'm sure the 245ps Golf GTI would be close too.

Here's a video to confirm that.
Liked the way he summarised ‘300 German HP is better than 320 Japanese HP’.

Anyway none of these GTI, Type R etc. will ever make it to India. Forget the performance variants, VW, Honda, Toyota etc have given up on that segment itself.
On another note, in India, we have many VRS which are running on higher specs than these cars.

That white Civic Type R is drool worthy

Last edited by sunikkat : 24th July 2022 at 11:25.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 11:41   #17
BHPian

Re: 2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built

Is this drag race a fair one under wet conditions? I think I heard spinning/ slipping wheels as a part of the commentary.
Old 24th July 2022, 12:16   #18
BHPian

All this magic, trickery with IC engine, sweet gearbox, slip differetials will be gone with EVs. You can put motors on each wheel.
!

Having owned the Integra type R once upon a time, looking for EVs to drastically reduce all the drama and involvement IC engines give
Old 24th July 2022, 14:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Anyway none of these GTI, Type R etc. will ever make it to India. Forget the performance variants, VW, Honda, Toyota etc have given up on that segment itself.
On another note, in India, we have many VRS which are running on higher specs than these cars.
India is not a suitable market for these type of cars. The cars are also not meant for the Indian roads as well. There's no point in buying a performance car, driving it on the Indian roads and taking the car to the service center next day for repairs.
Anyways, there could be a much more powerful VW Golf R Plus to compete with the new Type-R Civic. No idea when the launch would take place, but I am curious to see how it would turn out to be.
Old 24th July 2022, 15:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Liked the way he summarised ‘300 German HP is better than 320 Japanese HP’.

That white Civic Type R is drool worthy
The VRS models we have in India are almost fully identical to the Golf GTI. It's the same engine, gearbox, MQB chassis and almost the same powertrain. The Golf Clubsport is also very identical except with a larger turbo and tune among other things. The type R is an AWD version and with a higher power output tune. In essence, we already have the Golf GTI in India.

So it would be real interesting if Honda brought in the Type R in India!
sharc_biker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 20:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
To be specific, the GTI ClubSport smokes the Civic Type R off the line and I'm sure the 245ps Golf GTI would be close too.

Here's a video to confirm that.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=wWcYoit9efE

Cheers,
Amey
Fundamentally the performance car philosophies are quite different for Japanese and German manufacturers. A lot of this seems to be to do with the realities of their respective countries. Japan with it's mountainous roads have a different approach to performance hatches versus Germany with is known for it's derestricted autobahns.

One prioritises an agile, lightweight and powerful car that are capable of quick changes of direction but may come across as fidgety and lightweight at very high speeds. The other is all about powerful cars that have tremendous composure and acceleration in the triple digit territory. To me it's all about what kind of environment your drive in and what you are looking for.

I have owned a Polo GT TDI and currently drive a Baleno RS. Both have been driven for over 80K kms in similar environments. The Polo was a bomb to drive at high speeds where it's capability quite outshone that of it's drivers'. However in the mundane traffic and grocery runs the Baleno is much more fun and involving to drive. In the regular speeds of upto 100 kph the Polo felt like it was barely being poked while the Baleno with it's agile handling characteristics and quick directional changes felt much more fun. Even with the stock handling package that is much derided. It's good till around 80-90 kmph. On my RS I have put on a Blitz suspension kit that has basically sorted out all the suspension woes while keeping all the other desirable characteristics. On the highways though the Polo was much more surefooted and stable.

Plus Japanese performance cars have that much needed dose of practicality that the Germans kind of stint on. With a family that kind of becomes a deal breaker.

To me similar to the US and European approach to engine development, this is similarly two different development and engineering philosophies that are a bit more nuanced than 0-100 timings and stability at crazy triple digit speeds.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 13:29   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
In essence, we already have the Golf GTI
Not quite. Watch this video. Golf GTI eats the Octavia VRS for breakfast in all aspects being a hot hatch. I own one and drive it as a daily
There's some tuning which has not gone right for the VRS but works brilliantly for the Golf GTI. Video explains it all.

Cheers,
Amey

Last edited by Amey Kulkarni : 25th July 2022 at 13:44.
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 00:08   #23

Just WOW!! Looks beautiful and back to the form of EK9 civic 25 years ago, and a complete departure from the aggresive design of the predecessor.

How I wish Honda would get this to India, but then no one would buy it at the price Honda would want to sell.

Come on Honda. At least get the Civic to India in hatchback or sedan form and I am sure buyers would be lining up in queues, especially as the market is very mature now, than it was a 5 to 7 years ago.
UncleSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 00:48   #24
BHPian

Oh Wow. Wow. Wow.

She is sensational.

I'm throwing money at the screen but nothing is happening!
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 09:27   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

2023 Honda Civic Type R makes 315 HP, goes on sale this fall in the U.S.

2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built-2023hondacivictyper10.jpg

Quote:
Powered by an improved version of Honda’s K20C1 turbocharged inline-four-cylinder engine, the new model will make 315 hp (235 kW/319 PS) at 6,500 rpm and 310 lb-ft (420 Nm) of torque between 2,600 and 4,000 rpm. That’s an improvement of 15 lb-ft (20 Nm) over the outgoing model regardless of location, but not an improvement in horsepower over the outgoing European-spec Type R, which made 316 hp (236 kW/320 PS). Regardless, the 2023 Civic Type R is the most powerful factory vehicle Honda has ever offered American customers.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 09:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Oh Wow. Wow. Wow.

She is sensational.

I'm throwing money at the screen but nothing is happening!
Let me add my bank QR code on the screen. Then you can try throwing money again. Surely something will happen.
ajayc123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 12:23   #27
BHPian

Random question: what would be the landing price of the Type R in India if we chose to import it and how would one go about doing that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks