Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2022, 11:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built

Honda has taken the wraps off the 2023 Civic Type R.

The new Honda Civic Type R is now in its sixth-generation and is based on the 11th-gen Civic hatchback. Honda claims that the new performance hatchback is the most powerful R-branded model ever built.

2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built-2023hondacivictyper1.jpg

The 2023 Civic Type R carries forward the same 2.0-litre turbocharged engine paired with a 6-speed manual transmission. The engine, however, has been updated significantly making it even more powerful and responsive. Honda is yet to reveal the exact specification of the updated power unit.

2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built-2023hondacivictyper2.jpg

In terms of design, the new Type R comes with a redesigned bodywork, concurrent with the 11th-gen Civic hatchback. It features a large rear wing, redesigned lower grille, air vents on the front bumper, and a revised bonnet design to improve airflow. The performance hatchback also sits on lightweight 19-inch alloy wheels wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres.

2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built-2023hondacivictyper3.jpg

Inside, the Type R is similar to the Civic e:HEV. However, the Type R does come with certain exclusive bits such as a 10.2-inch touchscreen infotainment unit, a digital cockpit, sports seats with red Type R trim and suede upholstery all around, among numerous other features and tech.

2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built-2023hondacivictyper4.jpg

The 2023 Civic Type R will be offered in five colours: Historic Championship White, Rallye Red, Boost Blue, Crystal Black Pearl & Sonic Grey Pearl. Honda also stated that the pricing & other details of the new Type R will be announced closer to the date of launch, expected in the coming months.

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 21st July 2022 at 11:55.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 12:07   #2
BHPian

Re: 2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built

Sensational looking car. No chance of it coming to India to take on the Octavia i suppose, which has free reign over that segment!
RoadTrippin is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 12:44   #3
BHPian

Re: 2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built

Launch this in India at 30.xx and let’s see how many are yet willing to pay for the Octavia.

Honda has just lost it’s game-plan in India. There have great models they sell globally but not here.
BHPjunkie is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 13:22   #4

Some more photos of the new Type R

2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built-2023hondacivictyperdebut23.jpg

2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built-2023hondacivictyperdebut24.jpg

2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built-2023hondacivictyperdebut12.jpg

2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built-2023hondacivictyperdebut21.jpg

2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built-2023hondacivictyperdebut28.jpg

2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built-2023hondacivictyperdebut26.jpg

Picture credits: paultan

Have been drooling over the looks since the reveal and absolutely love the clean and mature design. Honestly thought that it would look a bit boring compared to the FK8 Type R, but boy does it look good. The tachometer design reminds me of the old S2000.

Can't wait for the specs to be out and I liked it how they still kept the manual for us Enthusiasts, but an option for automatic transmission should have been provided as well to reach a wider audience.
Still love it though
MrEnthusiast is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 13:33   #5
BHPian

I'm drooling over the interiors .

It's one of the best "neo-retro" designs I've seen on any car in a loooong time!

2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built-typer_interiors.png

That Honda 'H' logo, its straight out of the 1970s and looks like a "boiled sweet" as James May once described the starter button of another Type-R a long time ago. The honeycomb grill across the dash look like something out of an old speaker housing. Those red seats and footwells reminds me of a 1960s Mustang convertable. And it all comes together so well.

It's from the future AND from the past! Just brilliant!
lordrayden is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 14:07   #6
BHPian

I never liked a Civic, especially the Type-R. Although, the car is powerful! Absence of an Auto Gearbox is a big bummer!
Jetta GLI appeals more. Something just doesn't feel right about the Civic. Interiors are also kind of weird.
Anyways, it all comes down to the engine where the Civic outplays Jetta!
But yeah, Civic Si is the competitor of GLI, not the Type R, so I am doing an unfair comparison here!
2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built-screenshot-20220721-135403.jpg

2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built-screenshot-20220721-135548.jpg

2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built-screenshot-20220721-135143.jpg

Name:  Screenshot 20220721 135958.jpg
Views: 1308
Size:  88.3 KB

2023 Honda Civic Type R unveiled: The most powerful R-branded Honda car ever built-screenshot-20220721-135206.jpg

Name:  Screenshot 20220721 140051.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  80.0 KB

Last edited by TechnoBloop : 21st July 2022 at 14:09.
TechnoBloop is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 15:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

The all new Honda Civic Type R is the most powerful model in Type R's 30-year history.

Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 05:43   #8
BHPian

This is one sweet looking machine; inside and out.

Why oh why doesn't Honda bring in their neat stuff to India anymore? C'mon Honda, we know its an acquired taste meant for the discerning but you've got to serve that authentic sushi, sashimi, and saké in your menyū for us to really experience and appreciate them.

P.S. I am a vegetarian.
Herschey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 10:30   #9
BHPian

Looks Nice!
Still remember the 'other side' interactive video of older Type-R where the scene changes while you click on the R button on keypad. That was sweet ! Couldn't locate the original ad, here is one link I have found : link
Asish_VK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 11:46   #10
BHPian

I've never been a fan of the Civic Type R and especially at the price they launch. I personally prefer the hot hatches in this range which are a step above in terms of performance. To name a few : Golf GTI, Golf R, Toyota Yaris GR etc. who put down better power and timings.

Cheers,
Amey
Old 22nd July 2022, 12:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
I've never been a fan of the Civic Type R and especially at the price they launch. I personally prefer the hot hatches in this range which are a step above in terms of performance. To name a few : Golf GTI, Golf R, Toyota Yaris GR etc. who put down better power and timings.

Cheers,
Amey
Sorry but the previous Type R beats the GTI, The Golf R and the GR Yaris on any race track and is way faster than all of them while being significantly cheaper. Not to mention, its a race derived K-series Honda engine, which will outlast the German cars without question.
arun_m5 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 13:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_m5 View Post
Sorry but the previous Type R beats the GTI.
To be specific, the GTI ClubSport smokes the Civic Type R off the line and I'm sure the 245ps Golf GTI would be close too.

Here's a video to confirm that.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 14:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_m5 View Post
Sorry but the previous Type R beats the GTI, The Golf R and the GR Yaris on any race track and is way faster than all of them while being significantly cheaper. Not to mention, its a race derived K-series Honda engine, which will outlast the German cars without question.
Well the Type-R is more powerful and lighter than the GTI, so it's pretty obvious that the Type-R would be faster, although GTI won't be very far behind. In drags, the competition might be neck and neck.
But the GTI ClubSport and the Golf R smokes the Type-R even after the Type-R being lighter and having the same power as Golf R. And no, the 2.0L 4 Cylinder TSI engines is just as reliable as Honda's. Please don't make such wild assumptions!

Last edited by TechnoBloop : 22nd July 2022 at 14:20. Reason: Major typing error
TechnoBloop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 23:30   #14
BHPian

Wow...That looks amazing!
As a past owner of one of the best Type R cars, the Integra, I can only drool over this at the moment. Mine was white and had the Honda racing red interior as well! Goosebumps, the photos and the videos gave me! Also the first Civic Type R that actually looks good! I am not a fan of the notchback style design but it looks far better than anything the have come before for a civic type R.
Amsdoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 11:00   #15
BHPian

Honda was at its peak in India when they launched Civic. It was ahead of its times with futuristic design layout and brilliant hydraulic steering and mid/top end Vtec. After that it was a steep downward curve only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks