Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2022, 20:35   #31
BHPian

Re: Protestors glue their hands to exotic supercars at the 2022 Paris Motor Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
They don't slur against aircrafts too. They never protest against a harbor or an airport ever.
I do assume it’s a bit harder to glue themselves to an Airbus A380
Arsenic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 21:09   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Protestors glue their hands to exotic supercars at the 2022 Paris Motor Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post
The first step towards solving an issue is recognizing the issue.
Yes, Education, mental health / wellness , manners, respect for other's property, good cultural grooming etc are lacking here - all things one expect to learn as part of a family. I see that these fellows haven't learnt much of it.

I don't blame them being like this (for the above reasons) - but their actions will have consequences, hope they are tried as adults although their actions prove otherwise.

Now some countries in the name of being progressive have totally lost the backbone of their society - Family.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 22:53   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

It is the year 2122 AD. Most, if not all, on Team BHP, writing today, have driven over the horizon. Great grand children of Team BHPians stumble across this thread in the historical archives section of the ancient first generation internet.....

I wonder what those youngsters of the 2122 will think about the views of their forefathers i.e. all of us. By 2122 probably the world's population would have started to shrink after peaking at 11 billion. Maybe the most developed and middle income countries would be fitted with public transport running on solar power such that no one needs his own personal metallic wheeled device to move him/her around.

Lets travel back in time a 100 years to 1922 and view the opinions of that era with today's perspective. Looking back from that time in 2122 I suspect the comments on these pages, most of them, not all, would read like comments from 1922 against women's right to vote, Jim Crowe laws, British views on Indian's inability to govern themselves, views on the fundamental lack of IQ amongst Africans etc etc sound to us today. And mind you 2122 is not so far off. I had uncles and aunts who were born prior to 1922.

The method of their protest is merely the form. And without it being shocking folks like us would not notice or care. Property got damaged. Well, the local laws will address that and maybe fine or jail some of them. But the content of their protest - against oil - is worth pausing and listening to even if we don't agree with them. In a hundred years burning oil & coal will seem as blasphemous as slavery seems to us today. If that doesn't happen i.e. if the world isn't moving away from coal-oil then I better tell my kids, don't produce any off-springs -the future is bleak.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 26th October 2022 at 23:01.
V.Narayan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 01:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
comments from 1922 against women's right to vote, Jim Crowe laws, British views on Indian's inability to govern themselves, views on the fundamental lack of IQ amongst Africans etc etc sound to us today...
These blighted natives. Surely, there must be a better way to ask for their supposed 'freedom' than to burn British goods or make salt. I mean everyone should be free, but not at the cost of burning things, or boycotting English cotton. After all, Manchester's mill workers are entitled to a fair living. And don't even get me started on that bald old man pretending to be a saint. Did you know he's actually an Inner Temple sort and speaks the King's? Damn imposter.

Always, always amusing to see grown women and men who have contributed little to the planet's wellbeing run down a autistic teenage girl, who spent 15 days on rough seas living the life of a frugal athletic sailor, because they think she's just 'in it for the publicity'. At least she's made an impact.
v1p3r is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 07:03   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

The method of their protest is merely the form. And without it being shocking folks like us would not notice or care. Property got damaged. Well, the local laws will address that and maybe fine or jail some of them. But the content of their protest - against oil - is worth pausing and listening to even if we don't agree with them. In a hundred years burning oil & coal will seem as blasphemous as slavery seems to us today. If that doesn't happen i.e. if the world isn't moving away from coal-oil then I better tell my kids, don't produce any off-springs -the future is bleak.
I do agree with you in the actions being radical enough to bring awareness to the masses. We in India,especially where I live, have made massive strides against child marriage, murder of elders(mudhumakkal thaali), untouchability, sati, caste discrimination, women's rights, breast tax, female infanticide, dowry harrassment, etc.

The issue with the current crop of environmentalists is that they are blatantly lying and are lop-sided. Climate change has been debunked through many studies. They hide the fact that 80% of oxygen is generated in the oceans by the phytoplanktons. This is to aid masking the massive pollution wrought about by the shipping industry. The first hole in the ozone layer was observed over oceans not cites. They draw ire by trying to make us avoid what is in plain sight with a crooked motive. For example, they successfully fought off manufacturing process being undertook in many countries with bringing about stringent environment laws but they are welcoming of the fact that the same things are being made under worse social and environmental conditions by China.
They are being shipped thousands of miles to the places where they are getting sold today. There are 5000+ ships polluting the oceans and the biggest of them pollute more than 50 million cars put together in terms of CO2 alone. Just 15 of the biggest ships out pollute the current 750 million cars in the world put together! In addition to CO2, ships burn the crudest 'bunker fuel' which emits millions of tons of oxides of sulphur, nitrogen too along with a host of other spurious substances which the cars have been successfully prohibited from emitting on land. China is current causing a third of world's pollution, which in itself might be a wrong estimate, botched up in their favor. These environmentalists are acting in a manner which benefits china and cast aspersions in the minds of those who hear what they speak for and against.

Furthermore, another one of their talking point of cancer prevalence from mysterious environmental changes is also getting debunked. Cancer is now getting attributed to the crookedness of food, pesticide and medical lobbies rather than with the polution. The propagandists make things worse by protesting satiating fat while welcoming poisonous sugar. It is no wonder that we rarely come across a healthy one.

It is the success of their fear mongering that make some of us feel hopeless towards the future. We must spread awareness on their maliciousness and teach our children to be more wary against fear-mongering mass-delusions.

The liars will wither away in their own time.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 27th October 2022 at 07:17.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 09:32   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
I am not impressed by this racist bigot, who likes to bully his way.
Don't fret. He would be the last person trying to impress anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
All I could read is she used a racing yacht, with no bathrooms, crossed Atlantic in 15 days using just sails and solar panels. Tell me about her yacht trip, you sound as if she travelled in some luxury yacht...She need not do all this, I am fine if she flies economy class, but seeing at the kind of criticism, may be she has done right.
Give me 15 days off from study or work and I would too if it was free or sponsored.

It is a multi million carbon fibre racing yacht at the end of the day. What was the point? Symbolic protest? People who want to cross the Atlantic ocean should be using these? She could have attended the summit via video conferencing. Oh wait, she wouldn't have been able to stare down at the orange man, right? Not to say about the 3-4 extra trans-Atlantic flights that the crew of the yacht took.

Say something about her and you end up being branded a climate denier or afraid of a little girl. The world is not binary. She was just a puppet in the hands of others. There are scores of others working tirelessly for the environment, but they don't get invited to the UN for some scripted speeches. The poor girl can't even hold a one on one interview or Q&A session. Reason. She doesn't have a proper solution, or even a vague direction for the solution. The only concrete thing she has done is popularise flight shaming for short distance flights and popularising long distance trains in Europe. Then again, you had the publicity stunt in the Germany train which was called out.

Oh, and lest we forget. She supported the movement that wanted to continue the stubble burning that chokes NCR every year.
DicKy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 11:31   #37
BHPian

I have said this before and I'll say this again - scientists (including myself) have failed miserably at convincing people and governments about the seriousness of climate change. To be fair, I was initially appalled by these protests but they seem to make sense now. Humans for the most part don't understand science, what they do understand is drama. I don't support such extreme tactics but what's the alternative? Scientific debates where we have to sit around listening to the opinion of every Harry & Joe on the internet while the planet burns? We can't have a debate when one side wants to stick its head in the sand - so, being dramatic is the only alternative.

Again, I don't support these tactics but please tell me what's the alternative for pressuring people and governments.
dragracer567 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 13:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Don't fret. He would be the last person trying to impress anyone.
Come on, why will I Fret for a silly person.

Quote:
Give me 15 days off from study or work and I would too if it was free or sponsored.

It is a multi million carbon fibre racing yacht at the end of the day. What was the point? Symbolic protest? People who want to cross the Atlantic ocean should be using these? She could have attended the summit via video conferencing. Oh wait, she wouldn't have been able to stare down at the orange man, right? Not to say about the 3-4 extra trans-Atlantic flights that the crew of the yacht took.
The yacht is not built for this only purpose or I believe it's not dismantled after the trip, the trip may be symbolic protest, but as @dragracer pointed it wakes up people whose head is stuck in sand and cannot see the reality.

It's not easy to sail for 15days, sweltering in middle of Atlantic, with no bathrooms, no cooked food. Sitting in the comfort of my couch, I can easily conquer Mt everest, walk for 10 days in Antarctica.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 27th October 2022 at 13:50.
SKC-auto is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 14:21   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post
Extinction Rebellion is affiliated with Just Stop Oil, who you might have heard, have been defiling timeless pieces of art such as van Gogh’s Sunflowers, or Aston Martin showrooms, among other things.
Supercars ok.. but why would the Extinction Rebellion defile public transport and disrupt rush hour commute?

Wonder what their goal is..
anandhsub is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 14:29   #40
BHPian

I say it's a very legitimate way to protest and draw attention to how severe a risk climate change poses. We wouldn't have this thread here if the protest was more meek.
karanddd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 14:57   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Supercars ok.. but why would the Extinction Rebellion
Wonder what their goal is..
Their initial antics of blocking roads and this train incident created a backlash among general people, so they started the supercar/dealer/painting to get more visibility.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 15:34   #42
BANNED

Seems like a lot of people are missing the forest for the trees.

The point of these seemingly outrageous actions by these activists/protestors/what-have-you is to get the authorities to take them seriously and start the dialogue to bring about holistic policy changes across the governments of the world, just like the Paris treaty but faster and more effective.

Has everyone already forgotten the Australian bush fires of 2020 that killed or harmed almost 3 Billion (THREE BILLION) animals?

Accelerating human activity (due to increasing population) has upset the natural equilibrium and growing incidences of drought, flood, forest fires, hurricanes and melting glaciers is nature attempting to establish a new equilibrium but at the cost of human and animal lives and massive economic losses.

In the long term, the planet isn't going anywhere, life will also probably continue to exist, but humans might not. Remember, all life came from a single cell and massive extinction events that killed 90% of all life have happened on this planet before.

Radical steps are needed not because the planet needs saving but it is humanity which needs to be saved from itself. The longer it takes, the greater will be the cost. And, mind you, it will be paid in blood.
Electromotive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 21:27   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
Climate change has been debunked through many studies.

I regret that I have but two emojis to give you.
v1p3r is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 05:15   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

This is sad at many levels.

Should the cars be subjected to vandalism? No.

Should the environment be subjected to vandalism? No.

At least the cars can be repaired or replaced at a much lower cost than what it would cost to fix the damages to the environment.

I suppose we are at cross roads debating what’s worth protecting.

I myself don’t have any renewable source of energy powering my home or cars, so my views on the environment may sound hypocritical but I’m keenly watching the space to move towards renewables in the future. This is especially after watching the impact of flood damages to my city. What was once supposed to be, “once in a hundred years flood” is now “once in a decade”.
kiku007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 11:16   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

These activists are Bizarre.
Looks like nothing will escape their unwelcome attentions.

According to a Wion article; Climate activists glue themselves to dinosaur exhibit in Berlin museum.

Protestors glue their hands to exotic supercars at the 2022 Paris Motor Show-6a0bc4914da046369d7ace98e709765a.png

Last edited by aah78 : 16th July 2023 at 21:43. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks