Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2023, 20:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW experimenting with Artificial Intelligence technology to design its cars

According to media reports, BMW design head Adrian van Hooydonk has stated that the company is experimenting with AI tech in its design process.

Hooydonk confirmed that AI has already been used in various design tasks. He further went on to explain that the tech generates ideas based on the parameters set by an individual. The AI tech uses parameters set like a 5-spoke wheel, should weigh less than a certain amount and be on a 20-inch rim and lets the computer generate designs.

BMW experimenting with Artificial Intelligence technology to design its cars-bmwixevsuv.jpg

Having said that, BMW has no intention of letting AI take full charge. Hooydonk added that there will always be a human (art director) to guide the process and pick the designs generated. He stated that while AI can't invent things, it can combine the parameters set to come up with ideas much quicker.

However, he also stated that the tech can't be relied on entirely, as it takes images and sketches available online to generate something new; resulting in a design which feels like something one has already seen.

Adrian van Hooydonk recently also confirmed that BMW is already working on future models to offer a cleaner design.

Source: Top Gear

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 1st June 2023 at 20:15.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 09:22   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW experimenting with Artificial Intelligence technology to design its cars

I hope they invite public participation! Can you imagine what the internet would do to design language through AI, keeping in mind what people taught some of the openly available AI apps? It would be hilarious!
Old 5th June 2023, 09:41   #3

Re: BMW experimenting with Artificial Intelligence technology to design its cars

I just hope that whatever the steps are taken, be it AI or the designers at BMW, they should just improve the design language, I seriously don't like the route their designs are going now, especially that piggy grill. On the other hand its interesting to see how much AI will help in designing the car.
Old 5th June 2023, 10:22   #4
Team-BHP Support

Now I am really interested in what comes out of the BMW stable. Cleaner designs with the help of AI? Surely something to look forward to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Having said that, BMW has no intention of letting AI take full charge. Hooydonk added that there will always be a human (art director) to guide the process and pick the designs generated. He stated that while AI can't invent things, it can combine the parameters set to come up with ideas much quicker.
Also, this statement makes a lot of sense since eagle-eyed auto enthusiasts will easily find out the source of inspiration for the AI design. Most people are under the impression that AI is some sort of an entity that will do everything humans can and more. We're still not there yet. AI is going to be a potent tool in terms of making tedious tasks easier. Hope their goal is to come up with something that connects with the people and that their 'cleaner' designs are not boring. All in all, something to look forward to in the coming years.
Old 5th June 2023, 12:21   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

At this rate all ‘Art’ will be Artificial Intelligence based. The juices of creativity of the human race, will atrophy.

Personally I may be a bit of a ‘Luddite’ in this respect but I don’t want the world to be taken over by AI and Machines.
Old 5th June 2023, 13:11   #6
BHPian

We all used to think, the Art and Literature, the products of Human creativity would be the last frontier for AI and that engineering jobs would disappear first with humans pivoting to the more creative and artistic jobs or the creative side of existing jobs.

But it seems that the artists will be ones to lose their jobs first before anyone.
Old 5th June 2023, 13:40   #7
BHPian

I am very positive about AI taking over some creative work. It cant come up with a new idea or a new way of doing something. Something genuinely creative and not putting things together or formulaic.

So people will focus on those aspects and we will see pathbreaking new ideas and things. Hopefully

Now BMW would have to really check if something is inspired !
Old 8th June 2023, 14:29   #8
BHPian

No BMW, you can't blame your hideous grill designs on AI.

On a serious note, I hope AI does a better design than BMW people have done in the past few years. Should be easy. It's a low bar.
Old 13th June 2023, 11:46   #9
BHPian

Well, now I expect to see saner designs from BMW

Jokes apart, It is a natural progression, considering the evolving attitude of the whole world towards AI. It might be able to integrate technical demands with fabulous designs in a shorter span and in a hopefully better way than humans can do with computers. And do not teach the BMW design AI about any BMW cars launched after the mid-2010s in order to achieve desired results

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks