Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2007, 21:28   #1
BHPian

USA Update

Hello Guys,

I reached USA last week, Denver CO. This is low populated state in USA. And Denver is the capital of CO state. Denver is known for tourist place and it has rocky mountains. I stay 23 miles away from down town and 30-35 miles away from rocky mountains.

Here roads are amazing, sign borads are clear. It is difficult to drive without map if you are weeling to go from one town to another.

My guest house is exactly oppsite to the main road so I used to see lot of cars and bikes. Its amazing to see very few cars are having similler look, even in parking lot. Each car has different look.

More than half of the vehicles they drive are MUVs. Cars I observed which are awailable in India are - Huyndai Tucson (V6 was written on it), Honda CRV, Toyota new camery, Toyota corola and Honda accord. And once I spoted Aveo U-VA too . All are having automatic transmission.

Motorbike they drive are cruiser bikes. Harley sounds a lot and one can guess without seeing it. In my area very few wear halmet while driving cruiser bikes.

I get a chance to click some snaps.

Hummar

Mountains from my guest house

Road (broken windshield . My friend bought this Accord with broken windshield for $2300 )

Trafic siganls are placed so nicely, visible from long distance.

A view from my guest house.

Another view
Old 22nd July 2007, 22:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

whoa buddy, nice pics but they are way too big. taking ages to load. Can you post thumbnails pls.
Old 23rd July 2007, 04:14   #3
BHPian

Looks like you are living the American dream.
Old 23rd July 2007, 07:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

1990-1993 Accord? Dont you love the shape and the low bonnet?
Old 23rd July 2007, 07:49   #5
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Lovely photographs from the "Mile-High City".

When one visits a completely alien new place, one takes in the sights and smells and new weather. One starts to photograph what the locals and the more seasoned travelers miss -- the well maintained roads, the bluer sky of northern latitudes, the spacious emptiness, the well kept public greens and the big landyachts with lanes big enough to accomodate them on the roads, the low population which leads to value for human life.

BTW the under 5-lakh population of Denver, Colorado is comparable to the population of Kolhapur, Maharashtra.

The pic you've shot of the intersection with Yosemite St. is less than two miles from the Miravista Golf Course, Denver, is it not?
Is it eastbound on East 11th Avenue at the intersection with Yosemite St. near the Logan School for creative learning?

Ram
Old 23rd July 2007, 09:15   #6
BHPian

Everything is so well kept and beautiful. But its soooo similar to everywhere else... I can easily replace one of these pictures with one from where I live.
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:01   #7
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
Everything is so well kept and beautiful. But its soooo similar to everywhere else... I can easily replace one of these pictures with one from where I live.
The road quality is nearly consistent in most places with the same weather conditions.

The blueness of the sky varies by latitude from deep blue at the poles to near-white at the equator. The quality of trees and foliage also is latitude dependent.

The cars are visually identical across America although mechanically (from the perspective of smog controls), there used to be California cars, mountain cars and normal cars.

McDonalds, Burger King and Pizza Hut, is the same everywhere so yes, it would look identical.

But pay attention to the local pronunciations, dictions, drawls, and choice of words and you can tell the Texan drawl as different from the Southern drawl, the New-Yorker accent, the Boston accent, the Yankee accent, Dixie accent, ...
Then you appreciate the enormity of the USA and the various different European lands the white man came from.

Ram
Old 23rd July 2007, 17:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics of the humvee. I agree the roads are awesome but what i've observed and read is that long highway cruises there are boring and one tends to doze off (and also crash if happily dreaming). Enjoy yourself while you're there and take more pics.
Old 23rd July 2007, 18:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Nice pics of the humvee. I agree the roads are awesome but what i've observed and read is that long highway cruises there are boring and one tends to doze off (and also crash if happily dreaming). Enjoy yourself while you're there and take more pics.
True, if you are using cruise control. Try little overspeeding
Old 23rd July 2007, 18:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
True, if you are using cruise control. Try little overspeeding
I felt lucky to have dense fog on my last leg of 13 hr drive from florida (in kentucky, at night). I was tired and long roads with clear visibility would have made me doze off at the wheel.

recently i heard there were projects to make roads less monotonous (adding stuff here and here to change the driver's view).
Old 23rd July 2007, 20:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but what i've observed and read is that long highway cruises there are boring and one tends to doze off (and also crash if happily dreaming
You got that right....we all dozed off when driving back from Chicago at 3 in the night and did a 360 bang in the middle of the freeway. We're lucky the freeway was empty.
Old 23rd July 2007, 21:49   #12
BHPian

We are lucky that we didn't doze off at 2.30 in the morning and even more lucky that the truck driver in the right lane wasn't dozing. If not for the truck driver, there was no way we could have noticed that a Jeep Liberty with a dozing driver behind the wheel was barelling down the freeway in the opposite direction at 80 mph!! Lucky us the truck driver honked like crazy to alert us while at the same time drove onto shoulder to let us into his lane. The Jeep missed our SUV by just an inch or so... could have been quite a mess.
Old 23rd July 2007, 22:47   #13

hey!

nice pics! amazing roads.But all the same,these pics made me thank god for providing me with a broadband connection! hehe!
Old 25th July 2007, 10:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Lovely photographs from the "Mile-High City".

When one visits a completely alien new place, one takes in the sights and smells and new weather. One starts to photograph what the locals and the more seasoned travelers miss -- the well maintained roads, the bluer sky of northern latitudes, the spacious emptiness, the well kept public greens and the big landyachts with lanes big enough to accomodate them on the roads, the low population which leads to value for human life.

BTW the under 5-lakh population of Denver, Colorado is comparable to the population of Kolhapur, Maharashtra.

The pic you've shot of the intersection with Yosemite St. is less than two miles from the Miravista Golf Course, Denver, is it not?
Is it eastbound on East 11th Avenue at the intersection with Yosemite St. near the Logan School for creative learning?

Ram
woww.. thats an amazing information you have. Even I dont know much about this area. I only know that my are is called as Lone Tree and I just rememer my home address. Nothing else
Quote:
Thats true, even I had a couple of trips with my friend and even I feels like its boring driving on these highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallardo View Post
hey!

nice pics! amazing roads.But all the same,these pics made me thank god for providing me with a broadband connection! hehe!
Next time definitly I will resize image than will upload it, even I will update the post and resize the image. Here intenet speed so amazing that I did not feel any slow download.
Old 28th July 2007, 10:26   #15
BHPian

Whatever you guys say, American Interstates still suck compared to Canadian 400 series highways. Too many accidents, too many cop chases, bad roads, too many tolls etc.
The 401 (Macdonald-Cartier Freeway)from Windsor, ON to Montreal, QC is the busiest, widest and the best managed freeway in North America.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks