Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2024, 17:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

JLR shifts focus to plug-in hybrids, amidst stuttering global EV demand

JLR made a bold announcement in 2021, with plans to introduce 6 new EVs by 2026. However, with the global EV demand slowing down the British marque is reportedly going back on its word and shifting focus to plug-in hybrid models.

The shifting of focus towards PHEVs was in part due to the sales of its plug-in hybrid models, which increased by 68% in 2023. Adrian Mardell, CEO, JLR, stated, "What you have seen from other OEMs is that the race to BEV is starting to stutter a little." He further added, "PHEV acceptance has been quite a surprise. We are working hard in the interim time to make more PHEVs available."

JLR shifts focus to plug-in hybrids, amidst stuttering global EV demand-rrev.jpg

JLR currently offers plug-in hybrid versions of its entire product range, except for the Discovery.

Having said that, reports confirm that JLR is going ahead with the Range Rover EV, which was teased a while back. JLR even reported that the upcoming Range Rover electric has already garnered 16,000 bookings. Following the Range Rover, the brand also plans to introduce the electric version of the Range Rover Sport and two other smaller EVs. While the electric version of the Range Rover & Range Rover Sport will be underpinned by JLR's MLA platform, the two smaller EVs will use the EMA architecture of the brand.

Jaguar, which is expected to become an EV-only brand in the future is also planning to introduce a Porsche Taycan rival in the form of a 4-door GT. Its current lineup of ICE and EV models though will be discontinued after their current generations.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 16th February 2024 at 17:35.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 17:56   #2
BHPian

Re: JLR shifts focus to plug-in hybrids, amidst stuttering global EV demand

This is such a confusing article by Autocar.
-On one hand they say their PHEV sales rose 68%
- In their current line up all models except Discovery have PHEV variants. Clearly their PHEV line up is stronger than BEV. So how are they inferring that demand is low for the latter?
- Then there is mention of other BEV sales stuttering leading JLR to focus on PHEVs more. This is immediately followed by talks of stupendous booking numbers of the upcoming Range Rover EVs, future introduction of an RR Sport EV, newer EVs and electrification of the entire JlR lineup! All this talk of other manufacturers’ sales falling and being a cause for concern hence doesn’t make sense.

What I think has really happened is that they have no good EVs yet. Their current PHEVs saw demand. They’re continuing to focus on PHEVs to sustain demand and because they don’t live under a rock will move on slowly and steadily towards full EVs. As for the Autocar journo, I hope he realises his job involves reporting and not noting down minutes of an earnings call to convert into a “journalistic” article.
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 18:11   #3
BHPian

I think I quite understand their move. As mad as people think Toyota is being, the more I think of it Hybrids are a far greater option than BEVs; at least for the next 5 years.

Hybrids are found to be a lot more reliable. It offers the best of both worlds and is kind to the environment.

EVs on the other hand are no different than consumer goods, the depreciation is crazy, the repairability is low - and till the cost of battery doesn't go down significantly, EVs don't seem like a viable proposition. You will have more e-waste thanks to EVs becoming unviable to repair or replace battery.
3WiseMen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 19:02   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Umm. I guess that's what a car company with an awful EV line-up will say. Please tell me which Jaguar-Land Rover electric car offers pricing & driving range on par with the competition. You can count their EVs on your fingers...on one hand!

If Tesla or BYD or Ford or VW would've made a statement like this, I would still take notice. but JLR? It's like Maruti complaining about falling diesel car sales.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 20:02   #5
BHPian

Interesting to note -
  • JLR is owned by Tata
  • Tata is lobbying against Hybrids in India
  • Tata leads the EV space in India
  • World Automotive players are thinking of manufacturing EVs in India - Stellantis, Ford
  • Or collaborating with Indians in EV space [VW - Mahindra]
  • Honda (Elevate!!) has announced a EV product
  • Maruti Suzuki - Toyota is slated to get into EV space by 2025
This article comes out saying, JLR will focus on plug-in Hybrids. Is this something specific to luxury market? or they're just guaging the customer preference via such announcements.
sapien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 21:47   #6
BHPian

I think the current EV market does not need diversified kind of cars that we have today. Now you cannot have every car maker make the same kinds of car and garner market share. Its mostly about range and few body types.

Even looking just at JLR and the range they have might not be needed by customers in EV form. This will change when adoption increases by huge amount, until then everyone is after small market and specialized makers will struggle to fit in.

Last edited by PreludeSH : 16th February 2024 at 21:49.
Old 17th February 2024, 20:47   #7
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I think its only in India, where one can witness this abrupt EV craze without proper infra in place. I've never been able to sit back and comprehend why people are so crazy for EVs? As if gas and oil would cease production too soon! Hybrids, IMO and a lot of other rationalists, are the way to go through this transition phase. They offer the best of both worlds and there is less anxiety due to this shift. Meanwhile, companies can work on expanding their charger network and maybe in less than a decade or so the next transition phase from Hybrids to EV's can be smoothly made. Planning for is one aspect, implementing it is a totally different game, which in the case of India could be chaotic.

Last edited by LaRoca : 17th February 2024 at 20:56.
LaRoca is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 21:32   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You can count their EVs on your fingers...on one hand
Rubbish! Not fingers, thumb will do!
Old 17th February 2024, 23:35   #9
BHPian

I think we're seeing this news with the lens of the Indian car market where EV is all the craze, whereas the US/EU/China are the ones with the sales numbers. Sitting here in the SF Bay Area, I can tell you that PHEVs are in extremely high demand for very logical reasons. The Indian market is going through the same EV craze that the US market did 3-4 years ago, but we don't have the sales numbers in India to move the needle.

Toyota gambled brilliantly 5 years ago when they held their ground with Hybrids over EVs and now they're the ones laughing all the way to the bank while others play catch up.
kinetic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 21:28   #10
BHPian

What they're saying is right.

Lets not just look at India, global OE's look at global market trends, not specific to one market, and then take decisions that satisfy their profitability targets first, over the next 10 years at least.

EV sales are slowing down globally, especially last year.

Toyota was vocal about it first, we will definitely see more brands going down this same route.
Old 19th February 2024, 00:51   #11
Team-BHP Support

Actually, this is a perfectly logical statement from JLR. To me, this was the weird statement:

Jaguar To Turn All Electric By 2025, Land Rover EVs Start In 2024
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...h=267367d67174

Relatively new brands like BYD/Rivian/VinFast going all electric makes business sense, because that acts as a business differentiator. It allows them to focus all their energies & resources on one hot new sub-segment of automobiles, where customers are early adopters and willing to experiment with new brands. For eg: there is no way Rivian will make a name for itself with a traditional petrol/diesel lineup.

But old established brands like JLR/GM don't have the above problem as EV upstarts. Their brand value and a large dealer network is enough to pull in customers. For them, having a diversified portfolio of engine options makes more sense (petrol/diesel, hybrid, EV etc)

Last edited by SmartCat : 19th February 2024 at 00:54.
SmartCat is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks