Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2007, 01:28   #1
fb1
BHPian

Importing a car from Singapore.

First of all I would like you guys to read this article.
Buying Used Car From Singapore

Second... check out this website

Global Car Exports Singapore - Stock List

The prices are ridiculously low... The price for a 2003 audi tt with 41k kms is $28k singapore dollars... that is roughly 8.2 lakhs... What if I want to get a car exported from singapore to chennai.. How would that work out? Also my father is flying for Singapore airlines... What is the duty for importing a second hand car from singapore to india? My dad is planning on shifting from Singapore to India in about 6 months.. Is there any chance of me getting a car such as Audi TT, Mazda RX8 / Integra Type R on "TR" Transfer of residence.. Isnt this when you dont have to pay taxes..??

Sorry guys I am very new to this whole thing so I need some help.. Thanks
Old 12th December 2007, 01:47   #2
fb1
BHPian

Actually I am not sure if its in USD or SGD but whatever... I need more info on this !! Thanks
Old 12th December 2007, 09:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

fb1-great find and great news for all.i am not sure of the procedure but the gurus here will help.as soon as its sorted out all the buddys out there can actually have a taste of angrezi autos still not available in the country.i liked the alfa romeo in blue and its only 7 l for it.amazing.

ram
Old 12th December 2007, 10:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb1 View Post
Actually I am not sure if its in USD or SGD but whatever... I need more info on this !! Thanks
It does mention SGD on the website.
Old 12th December 2007, 11:12   #5
BHPian

DUDE, This is India, nothing is Tax free. Coming back on TR only permits you to get a used car into India, Duty works out to approximately 164 % on the depriciated value.
How it works for the 2003 Audi TT is that the customs take the value of the new car in 2003 from the Kellys Blue Book and give you depreciaiton for 4 yrs. Which I think is around 48%. Then on that value they will charge you 164% duty. It does not make a difference at what price you buy the car. Plus the car will have to be registered in your dads name for at least a yr or they will levy fine and penalty also. This is to make sure that genuine users are bringing back the cars that they used there.
Old 12th December 2007, 12:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

fb1 buddy, TR or transfer of residence means that the car has to be proven that it was in your use from at least a year before it was intended to be mposted. Well that can be worked out but as S600BENZ pointed out, the fine, penalty and duty structure makes it more lucrative to import a brand new car at a lesser duty than a used car. Of course depending on the depreciation and the vintage of the car being imported, the depreciation will be allowed but that is negligible. Now since anyone can impost any car (subject to homologation laws), it makes more sense to get in a brand new car. Study this further. There are a lot of dealers who are into this sort of thing and will help you out with the details and nuances which otherwise, would haunt you when you have finally imported the car. Thats when the nightmare begins.
Old 12th December 2007, 14:40   #7
BHPian

So much for "Of the people, by the people and for the people"
Old 12th December 2007, 15:17   #8

Use sea option

Hi,

First its not USD its SGD and 1SGD as of today is 27.79 INR.

My freind there are freighters (CAN CARRY ABOUT 90 TONNES ON AIR) moving from singapore to chennai on a daily basis but the cost involved is way to high.Approximnately it will cost you
1.70SGD/KG = 47INR/KG , Any car will definitly weight around 1- 2
tonnes so 2 tonnes=2000kg

2000*47INR =94,000
+
INTERNATIONAL SECURITY SURCHARGE
+
FUEL SUR CHARGES
+
DANGEROUS GOODS CHARGES
+
HANDLING CHARGES
+
Origin & destination customs clearance charges

All put together finally you will receive a bill of 3-4lakhs

Better move the car (freight) on sea......

Total charges will be less than 1 lakih

On both the cases duty will be heavy...approximately 200% on actuall value of the car.

Quote:
First of all I would like you guys to read this article.
Buying Used Car From Singapore

Second... check out this website

Global Car Exports Singapore - Stock List

The prices are ridiculously low... The price for a 2003 audi tt with 41k kms is $28k singapore dollars... that is roughly 8.2 lakhs... What if I want to get a car exported from singapore to chennai.. How would that work out? Also my father is flying for Singapore airlines... What is the duty for importing a second hand car from singapore to india? My dad is planning on shifting from Singapore to India in about 6 months.. Is there any chance of me getting a car such as Audi TT, Mazda RX8 / Integra Type R on "TR" Transfer of residence.. Isnt this when you dont have to pay taxes..??

Sorry guys I am very new to this whole thing so I need some help.. Thanks
Old 12th December 2007, 23:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaKo View Post
So much for "Of the people, by the people and for the people"
hehehee Funny... I wonder what the people would say when they are asked to go and lay a road or build a bridge. Bridge - of the people, for the people and by the people!
Old 14th December 2007, 05:50   #10
fb1
BHPian

theres goes my plans of getting an Audi TT / Integra Type R... :(
Old 29th December 2007, 10:58   #11
fb1
BHPian

guys from chennai, i dont wanna give up on this.. where can i find out more details bout importing a used car from singapore... any one know any one frm customs in chennai that i can talk to.
Old 3rd January 2008, 17:53   #12
fb1
BHPian

bump anyone? ;O ....
Old 3rd January 2008, 18:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

How about the taxes part (customs duty) of importing a complete CBU? Does anybody know of this. I heard it will be around 150% of the vehicle cost...
Old 3rd January 2008, 19:01   #14
BHPian

Import of Car by NRIs

Some official information at this page...

CLEARANCE OF INCOMING PASSENGERS
Old 3rd January 2008, 19:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
theres goes my plans of getting an Audi TT / Integra Type R... :(
Try this link . Japanese used car,japan new cars,japan used car,Japanese new cars
These guys are genuine exporters of Japanese cars and i have personally picked up a car from them.
Very serious buyers only.. check out the prices..They will also ship it to your country of residence.Best part.. all cars are RHD..

Goddy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks