Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2008, 12:36   #1
BHPian

2008 Detroit Auto Show

Who's going tomorrow to the Detroit Auto Show? Must be a few members making the journey to the show. I might be going myself later this week.

Managed to get some sneak peek photos and put them on my website. Here's a sampling:

More Photos & Information on Japan Car Blog here.
Old 13th January 2008, 20:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

I'll be going next week. Tomorrow is just the press day and VIP ($400) day.
Old 13th January 2008, 21:26   #3
BHPian

I've gone continuously for the last 6 years, but I am skipping it this year. I went to the press days last year when all the unvielings and press conferences happened and that was interesting. I used to live about 40 minutes away and could just jump in my car and go. I moved away from Michigan in '06 so for the '07 show I flew to Detroit and found the cost and availability of flights and hotels around the time of the show to be terrible.

I would do it again this year but I will go to the New York show instad which is pretty much a repeat of detroit. Now I have an apartment in Manhattan so I am just going to drive to New York and stay at my place while the show is going on.

Last edited by Harbir : 13th January 2008 at 21:27.
Old 14th January 2008, 00:14   #4
BHPian

You're not the only person skipping this year. Rumor is...and this just a rumor... that Detroit will no longer be the premiere NA auto show. Lots of companies are considering moving their big launches and announcements to California. Porsche was just the first of many to make the switch.
Old 14th January 2008, 05:04   #5
BHPian

I should be going later this week as well. Considering that it's about 15-20 minutes away from where I live, it's the most important thing for me to do every year. I'll try to take some pictures as well.

The one car I really want to see is the Corvette ZR-1. Even thinking about that car gives me goosebumps.
What about you guys?
Old 14th January 2008, 10:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi debuts Lancer Ralliart

Mitsubishi Motors Corp., which saw its U.S. sales jump 9 percent in 2007, wants to keep the momentum going with a new version of its Lancer sedan.
The Japanese automaker debuted the Lancer Ralliart on Sunday at the North American International Auto Show.

The Lancer Ralliart has a new 4-cylinder, 2.0-liter turbocharged engine with 235 horsepower and racing-inspired gears. It joins the Lancer and Lancer Evolution in Mitsubishi's sporty small-car family.

Mitsubishi also showed the Concept RA, an aerodynamic diesel-powered coupe that Mitsubishi says can improve fuel economy by 40 percent.
Old 15th January 2008, 03:21   #7
BHPian

I'm more interested in the Lexus LF-A or Mazda Furai. Don't get me wrong the Corvette is amazing but I've already seen the thing a million times. I'll also try to jump the velvet rope and get a closer look at the exotics .

The Mitsubishi RA is another car that was hyped up but ... i dont know... not very exciting really.
Old 15th January 2008, 08:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskhan View Post
I'm more interested in the Lexus LF-A or Mazda Furai. Don't get me wrong the Corvette is amazing but I've already seen the thing a million times. I'll also try to jump the velvet rope and get a closer look at the exotics .

The Mitsubishi RA is another car that was hyped up but ... i dont know... not very exciting really.
Ya the Furai looks really good. Wonder if they'll keep it like that for the road going version though. I'm also looking forward to the Buick concepts and Honda's new i-DTEC Technology.
Old 15th January 2008, 21:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

I wonder how many of these cars will make it to the Houston Auto show next weekend. I'm hoping to go for it this time.

Seems like the Mitsubishi RA is more on the lines of a the new Eclipse..of course, it'll have something bigger & better under the hood.
Old 15th January 2008, 21:58   #10
BHPian

guys do check out apna TATA land rover LRX concept (iphone enabled????)..looks awesome for a crossover.
Old 17th January 2008, 09:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

checked out nissanusa.com, 2009 murano has lost it's signature grill. some of my friends say it still looks good.
Old 18th January 2008, 00:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
checked out nissanusa.com, 2009 murano has lost it's signature grill. some of my friends say it still looks good.
True.It still looks good. Somehow the grill reminds me of another car,but I can't recollect which one. Its definitely got the Altima treatment,with the headlights & the curves.
Old 18th January 2008, 10:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Ya the Furai looks really good. Wonder if they'll keep it like that for the road going version though.
I doubt Mazda's mental enough to build that thing for the road. I think its more a celebration of the 787B victory at LeMans in the 90's.

And the ZR1. I'm pissed GM didnt bring back their DOHC engine from the original ZR1. Nice chassis, but why a supercharged LS2? No way people are going to shell out a 100 grand for a Corvette. I'd rather buy a Callaway Corvette if I had the money and if I was hell bent on buying a Corvette.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 18th January 2008 at 10:58.
Old 19th January 2008, 02:02   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
I doubt Mazda's mental enough to build that thing for the road. I think its more a celebration of the 787B victory at LeMans in the 90's.

And the ZR1. I'm pissed GM didnt bring back their DOHC engine from the original ZR1. Nice chassis, but why a supercharged LS2? No way people are going to shell out a 100 grand for a Corvette. I'd rather buy a Callaway Corvette if I had the money and if I was hell bent on buying a Corvette.
Interesting that you bring out ZR1 in your comments. Whether the Callaway existed or not people would be too enticed to buy a base level Corvette right now. At a dealership opposite my workplace there's 12 corvettes 07 model year price tagged at 37K USD (u wanna bargain ??)
08 are selling less than MSRP. 41-42K. I would buy this and spend 10K on supercharging or whatever else and it'd be good enough. So yes I agree ZR1's gonna be tough to sell.
Old 19th January 2008, 02:03   #15
BHPian

Btw was the older corvette chassis body on frame opposed to the ZR1?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks