Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: BMW 1 Series - Would you buy one @ 18,000EU approx?
Yes! 15 46.88%
No too expensive! 5 15.63%
I'll buy the A class! 1 3.13%
I'll buy the mini! 10 31.25%
What is a 1 series? 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2004, 02:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ May 01 2004,23:21)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Well they do not have an M version of the X5
But i heard that "the guy who own was gifted the Ferrari 360 Modena" owns a M X5.
Or was it AC Schnitzer??? Or Alpina??
Probably some aftermarket body kit dunno what but any one of those u mentioned. but no M version ever for the X5 has been out besides prototypes as LM V12!!
But then thats just gonna stay a concept until next generation perhaps!
Old 2nd May 2004, 02:44   #17
Team-BHP Support

Maybe its the "sports package" that adds the M power logo on certain parts of the car, although i have never seen it on an X5, or even the mention of "M power" in the brochures of the X5 which do mention the sports package.....
Maybe its just a sticker!

cya
R

Old 2nd May 2004, 04:10   #18
BHPian

No Man Rehaan, I had seen this episode of Auto Motor und Sport, in Germany last year.. The Car sounded totally different, and it was definetly made under the M Division. Though the program was in German, so couldnt understand a word coming out of that buggers mouth! , but he sure knew how to drive. He did a lap round the nurburgring the full lap and it was a joy to watch. Did hear about it else where too..
Ofcourse, though.. it was not the M-Powered version of X5.
Old 2nd May 2004, 04:15   #19
BHPian

By the way Rehaan, I didnt read the link u posted here, but just glanced thru it.
You drove an M5 ?
Old 2nd May 2004, 04:20   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Pferdestärke @ May 02 2004,02:45)]By the way Rehaan, I didnt read the link u posted here, but just glanced thru it.
You drove an M5 ?
PS, not a M5, a 540i with M mods, E46M3 and '03 S2000.

check the link out when u have time.
cya
R
Old 2nd May 2004, 04:23   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]check the link out when u have time.
Copy that!
Old 2nd May 2004, 04:45   #22
BANNED

i dont know why but the mini jst doesnt cut it out for me...maybe cause i own one and that it is too congested and the fact that it is not at all practicla for the indian roads. i would invest in the 1 series. atleast it is a decent sedan. just like he indigo or esteem. i think bmw should have introduced this in india first. the new 3 serie is a simple rip off .may be if i won kbc i would get it otherwise not. base engine and insdie looks like a sea of greyness!
Old 2nd May 2004, 14:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (vishnugnair @ May 02 2004,03:15)]i dont know why but the mini jst doesnt cut it out for me...maybe cause i own one and that it is too congested and the fact that it is not at all practicla for the indian roads. i would invest in the 1 series. atleast it is a decent sedan. just like he indigo or esteem. i think bmw should have introduced this in india first. the new 3 serie is *a simple rip off .may be if i won kbc i would get it otherwise not. base engine and insdie looks like a sea of greyness!
U know why im posting right? lol
Old 2nd May 2004, 15:01   #24
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The main advantage of the 1 over the Mini is that it has 4 doors. Its also more spacious than he mini.
Old 2nd May 2004, 15:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

V12 i always believe they are gonna have some variants including a sedan version i believe...
Old 2nd May 2004, 15:10   #26
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

A Mini sedan??? I doubt it'll ever happen.
Old 2nd May 2004, 15:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

Lemme look for the pics and send em'
Old 2nd May 2004, 15:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Press Release:

BMW is poised to shake up the compact executive segment with the arrival of the new 1 Series. Featuring four engines, three gearboxes and rear wheel drive, a combination not found in any of its competitors, the BMW 1 Series makes its entrance in Autumn 2004 and will immediately offer a new benchmark to driving dynamics in its class. A 1.6-litre petrol engine producing 150Nm of torque at 4,300rpm powers the entry-level BMW 116i. The 115bhp unit achieves a zero to 62mph time of 10.8 seconds and a top speed of 125mph. Even with this high level of performance, the 116i achieves an economical fuel consumption of 37.7mpg.

The high-performance four-cylinder petrol model is the BMW 120i with its 150bhp and 200Nm (at 3,600rpm) 2.0-litre VALVETRONIC petrol engine. Light and nimble, the 120i covers zero to 62mph in 8.7 seconds before going on to achieve a maximum speed of 135mph.

The BMW 1 Series launch line-up is completed with two versions of the powerful yet frugal 2.0-litre common rail diesel engine. The 122bhp BMW 118d averages 50.4mpg while posting a zero to 62mph time of 10 seconds and reaching a top speed of 125mph. The higher-performance 163bhp BMW 120d achieves 49.6mpg yet is capable of a 7.9 second zero to 62mph time and a 137mph top speed. Instant turbo power delivered smoothly to the red line results in the 120d posting sharper performance figures than its 2.0-litre petrol equivalent.

In-gear overtaking in both diesel models should prove rapid thanks to a maximum torque of 280Nm and 340 Nm respectively, much of this urge available from a low 2,000rpm. Both diesel-engined derivatives and the two petrol units are EU4 emission compliant.

Power is delivered to the road via a six-speed manual in 118d, 120d and 120i models, while the 116i has a five-speed manual gearbox. An optional six-speed automatic will also be offered on 120i and 120d models.

Although a new car in a new premium segment, the 1 Series has the traditional BMW design trademarks - the front kidney grille, double headlamps and 'Hofmeister kink' on the C-pillar all feature. These punctuate a genuinely head-turning styling that ensures the new 1 Series will stand out amongst its competitors.

After slipping behind the wheel and firing up the engine via a starter button, the driver will go on to enjoy BMW's renowned 50:50 weight distribution and front engine, rear wheel drive set-up - unique in this class. Coupled with a technically elaborate aluminium front axle and five-link rear suspension, this ensures optimum handling and traction, and the most invigorating drive in the compact executive segment. A drag coefficient of just 0.29 helps the new BMW 1 Series slip through the air with maximum efficiency and the minimum of noise. Standard fit 16-inch run-flat tyres also means the days of motorway hard shoulder tyre changes are over.

Measuring just 4.23 metres long, but with a relatively long wheelbase of 2.66 metres, driving dynamics have been cleverly worked into a practical four-seater. The new 1 Series offers ample shoulder and legroom for rear passengers and, thanks to split fold rear seats that fold virtually flat, a similarly generous luggage capacity of between 330 to 1150 litres of storage space.

Dynamic Stability Control, Dynamic Traction Control, Dynamic Brake Control and Electronic Differential Lock help ensure the 1 Series provides the highest standards of active safety without impacting unnecessarily on driving enjoyment. An airbag system that includes head airbags for all occupants means the new BMW 1 Series also meets the most stringent passive safety requirements.

The high level of standard safety features combined with structural integrity means that the new 1 Series is clearly aiming for five stars in the EuroNCAP crash test.

Meanwhile, optional extras include Bluetooth capability, sports seats with backrest width adjustment, acoustic Park Distance Control at the front and the rear and Bi-Xenon headlights. The pioneering iDrive controller when mated to a navigation system is also an option. Keyless access and voice-activated radio and navigation systems will appear after launch.

Prices for the all-new 1-Series will be announced later in the Spring.
Old 2nd May 2004, 15:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

BMW 1-series: the full story

When BMW announced the sale of Rover on Friday, 17 March 2000, it also revealed hastily drawn up plans for a new small, sporting BMW hatchback positioned between the Mini and the 3-series Compact. The crucially important new 1-series you see here is that car.

The new 1-series, to go on sale simultaneously in the UK and left-hand-drive Europe in September priced from £15,630, pitches BMW into the most competitive car segment of all. It is the key to BMW’s ambition of expanding total sales to 1.4 million cars – including Mini and Rolls-Royce – by 2008.

To guarantee the One remains true to BMW’s ‘ultimate driver’s car’ philosophy, the new hatchback ignores the universal small-car layout of transverse front engine driving the front wheels. Instead, it opts for BMW’s traditional longitudinal front engine driving the rear wheels. Given the resulting space limitations, many will see this as a massive gamble.

BMW is unconcerned. Munich has no intention of competing head-on in terms of value for money or sales volumes with the Focus and Golf. By pegging production at around 150,000 a year, BMW wants to position the 1-series as the premium model in the class. Management seems happy to cop criticism of the car’s packaging restrictions, because they know the 1-series drives like no other small car.

The One will sire a whole family of models. At least two years after the five-door hatch, BMW plans to add a range of variants, including a 2-series coupé and convertible, 1-series saloon, estate and possibly a roadster. Performance versions are also in the pipeline, but any M1/M2 version is at least three years into the future.

Design

Remember the CS1 concept car, pictured right, and unveiled at the 2002 Geneva show? The 1-series is the hatchback of that convertible. Its appearance is just as controversial and sure to stir debate.

Styled by American Chris Chapman, under the leadership of Chris Bangle, the One persists with the complex surfaces that are now a BMW trademark. Abutting concave and convex surfaces flow from the hard upper and lower lines of the door, bonnet and tailgate shut-lines, and from the curved sills, to create an organically intricate surface treatment.

In profile, the proportions of the nose are pure BMW, with an ultra-short front overhang and a long flat bonnet, created by pushing the windscreen to the rear. It could barely be more different from the modern hatchback norm with its sloping bonnet and long overhangs. The glasshouse, however, is contemporary Euro-hatch and, from the rear, not unlike the new Astra.

A 0.29 Cd is good, if not outstanding. Thick C-pillars and an extremely shallow back screen mean rearward visibility is poor.

At 2660mm, the 1-series’ wheelbase is 65mm shorter than the 3-series saloon and Compact, but 80mm longer than the new Golf. Overall length is 4236mm, just 26mm shy of the Compact, yet 235mm shorter than the 3-series saloon. Its 1430mm height makes it slightly taller than the Compact, the 1750mm width identical.

However, the 1-series’ longer rear overhang accounts for a bigger, 330-litre boot – growing to 1150 litres with the split seats folded, also bigger than the Compact’s. The 50-litre fuel tank is adequate for the four-cylinder diesels, but will restrict the touring range when the bigger-capacity petrols arrive.

Construction

Because the 1-series and its closely related 3-series companion are to be built in such high, mainstream volumes – more than 600,000 in 2006 – they are made largely in steel, with far less aluminium than the 5- and 6-series models. Perfect weight distribution was BMW’s aim with the One. A variety of high-tensile steels help achieve a base weight of 1205kg, which is 95kg less than today’s Compact.

However, to realise the 50/50 weight distribution so beloved by BMW engineers, the front suspension is alloy, the rear suspension steel. Runflat tyres are standard on all models. This frees up space to locate the battery where the spare wheel would normally be stored, in a plastic housing under the floor.

Engines

For the moment, BMW will only admit to four-cylinder engines for the One. Take a look under the long bonnet at the space between radiator and four-cylinder engine and it is obvious BMW’s in-line sixes are in the product plans.

American dealers won’t sell the 1-series hatch, but are keen on the 2-series coupé and
cabriolet, provided they come with six cylinders. Expect future models to boast BMW’s
still-secret NG6 direct-injection six, due in the 3-series next year.

Until then, the fastest One is the 137mph 120d – now with 161bhp and a mighty 251lb ft of torque from a development of the 3-series’ 2.0-litre diesel. A 121bhp version of the same unit adds to the diesel choice.

BMW’s Midlands Hams Hall plant supplies the two petrol engines: the entry-level 114bhp 1.6 and 148bhp 2.0-litre with double Vanos, but no Valvetronic. Both diesels and the 2.0-litre petrol get six-speed manual ’boxes or the optional ZF six-speed auto. The 1.6 is five-speed manual only. There are no plans for an all-wheel-drive One.

Suspension and brakes

No surprises here. The 1-series previews next year’s new 3-series with front MacPherson struts and anti-roll bar, plus a new, now five-link (the current Three uses four-link) coil-sprung rear suspension.

Standard tyres are 195/55 R16s with optional 205/50 R17s that come as standard on Sports models. DSC stability control, DBC brake control and EDB electronic diff locks are included, even on base models.

Predictably, steering is by rack and pinion, but where the Z4 uses electric power assistance, the 1-series sticks with a hydraulic pump. The steering rack’s 14.25:1 ratio gives a tight 10.6m turning circle and three turns lock to lock.

Four-wheel discs feature on all models. Up front they are vented on all models, and the quickest 120d gets vented rear discs as well. A conventional handbrake, mounted to the left of the gearlever, might be awkward on right-hand-drive cars.

Cabin

There is no escaping the limitations imposed by the mechanical layout: the north-south engine pushes the cabin backwards. That’s not a problem for front-seat occupants, who enjoy plenty of room, the driver blessed with an excellent driving position with square-on steering wheel and pedals only slightly offset to the outside.

Although the rear seat provides three three-point seatbelts, the transmission tunnel is so intrusive there’s only space for two adults. Entry is tight into the rear and legroom a real issue, though headroom is excellent.

Strategy

While BMW owned Rover, the British division was the sole source of small cars, as the Germans broadened their range into every niche. Jointly, they had begun development of the R30, a Rover-badged front-drive hatchback aimed at Focus/Golf and due to go on sale in late 2002. But BMW changed its mind and decided that the German brand could indeed be stretched to include a small car.

There was momentary debate about reskinning the R30 into a BMW, but Munich quickly decided on an entirely different species. The 1-series would be developed simultaneously with the next generation 3-series, due mid-2005. Bukhardt Goeschel, head of R&D, claimed flexibility within the 1- and 3-series allows previously unworkable changes to be implemented without upset. ‘It’s a real breakthrough,’ he said.

‘We wanted a pure BMW,’ added Dr Gerd Schuster, the 1-series project leader. ‘A sports package that fits one class below the 3-series and offers real driving pleasure. We wanted a high quality of steering and precise handling in a car that does not under- or oversteer.’
Today’s Compact is essentially a stumpy, truncated three-door 3-series. The arrival of the 1-series means it won’t be replaced.

www.autocarmagazine.com
Old 2nd May 2004, 15:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

2 door version :

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks