Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2005, 01:04   #31
Senior - BHPian

History showed that any Hyundai car in India with a price tag of more than 8 lacs is a failure. So what price tag is Hyundai going to put on Tucson.

I don't think Hyundai's quality alone is selling cars in other parts of the world. There are other factors like Price and Warranty. These are the two important factors that are working for Hyundai. But in India, Hyundais are never the cheapest in their categories.

So, what's the advantage that Hyundai is giving to Indian customer in their expensive range of cars? Their cars match Hondas and Toyotas in parts, but as a complete car, they are way behind.
Old 24th March 2005, 01:53   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
History showed that any Hyundai car in India with a price tag of more than 8 lacs is a failure. So what price tag is Hyundai going to put on Tucson.

I don't think Hyundai's quality alone is selling cars in other parts of the world. There are other factors like Price and Warranty. These are the two important factors that are working for Hyundai. But in India, Hyundais are never the cheapest in their categories.

So, what's the advantage that Hyundai is giving to Indian customer in their expensive range of cars? Their cars match Hondas and Toyotas in parts, but as a complete car, they are way behind.

Well , Tucson is going to compete straight with the CR-V(as in india theres no other suv in this segment) Xtrail , way way expensive...

Firstly , it is going to be more or less a lakh cheaper than Cr-v and as it is made in korea , the parts and the service of the vehicle is going to be cheaper than that of Cr-v .

But above all , it is going to be available in diesel engine , the very much respected CRDi engine , same as in elantra , that means you can expect the FC to be around 12-13 KMPL .

Whereas , the Cr-v is only available in petrol and sucks you with the FC of 6-7 kmpl(manual gearbox) .

Now some of you may say that people who buy the car of Rs. 15 lacs do not give a damn to the fuel effiency , but the reality is quite opposite , espically now when the prices of the fuel are increasing month by month like anything ,it does make a difference to most of us , atleast to me it does make a hell lot of difference .

To add to that , it looks much more sporty , stylish than the CR-v(which is atleast 5 years old boxy design) and you can expect many more additional , very useful features which can make your driving much more easy going . Rest , lets wait and watch , the picture will be much more clearer within a week's time .

A lakh cheaper + CRDi engine + Better ,sporty looks + Better fuel effiency + Additional useful features , to name a few .......

Do you see any more reasons not to go for the Tucson ???

Last edited by Beemer : 24th March 2005 at 02:09.
Old 24th March 2005, 11:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
Well , Tucson is going to compete straight with the CR-V(as in india theres no other suv in this segment) Xtrail , way way expensive...

A lakh cheaper + CRDi engine + Better ,sporty looks + Better fuel effiency + Additional useful features , to name a few .......

Do you see any more reasons not to go for the Tucson ???

Beemer

EVER HEARD OF THE INFLUENCE THE BRAND NAME - HONDA HAS IN THIS COUNTRY ??

who do you think will buy the Tucson ? if Hyundai positions it against the CR-V , they will be shooting themselves in the foot !

but having said all this , i hope the Tucson really does well for Hyundai !
Old 24th March 2005, 11:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

And, you can't deny the fact that Hyundai's most sucessful offering is a Petrol. The Accent and the Elantra haven't really been making waves inspite of having a diesel option.

Shan2nu
Old 24th March 2005, 12:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of these or some of these are also true for Elantra. Then why is it not doing well? Brand name also matter when you are buying a lifestyle vehicle. Maruti learnt this hardway through Baleno. Balenos are seen on roads only after the price cuts.
Old 25th March 2005, 00:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Most of these or some of these are also true for Elantra. Then why is it not doing well? Brand name also matter when you are buying a lifestyle vehicle. Maruti learnt this hardway through Baleno. Balenos are seen on roads only after the price cuts.

You are right , brand name does matter , despite of having all the ingredients Elantra still has failed, main culprit being its looks . But.....

In the c+ segment , the competition is very strong in the form of Octavia . Well, to challenge Octavia you need to be better in all the things and i don't think there was , is ,will be(atleasty in the near future) any car to challenge Octavia . Excellent ride, diesel engine ,good looks ,extra ordinary build quality to name a few...

The truth is that even if some1 asks me to pick, even i wont go for the Elantra . It's neither that well build , nor looks that solid , lacks the image and so on........

But , take the Octavia out from the market(though not feasible) and you will see the elantra taking its place , mainly coz of the CRDi .

Given a choice most of the people would prefer Diesel cars ,let it be any segment , a good example being Endeavour . If i am not wrong ,last month (or may be last to last) it took the pole position(sales) from the CR-V . Reason being , its a Diesel .

Though , it is one of the worst cars i ve ever driven , for me i ve named it mini truck coz it doesn't behave any better than a Tata truck .

Now , tell me any good SUV (diesel) to give a fight to Tucson ???

Last edited by Beemer : 25th March 2005 at 00:38.
Old 25th March 2005, 01:02   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Beemer

EVER HEARD OF THE INFLUENCE THE BRAND NAME - HONDA HAS IN THIS COUNTRY ??
!

Thats where the problem lies .

Though , i dont mean that Honda/Toyota does not make good cars in india (i ll be if i dare say this in india) .

But the fact is that despite of having better machines here in india , we tend to ignore those cars coz the magic of Honda/Toyota takes over everything . Its like , we indians are Hungry for Toyota/Honda and wanna grab everything let it be **** , garbage they throw at us , we are always standing in a que to accept respectfully and they are taking full use of it .

I think, now is the time we indians should start using our Brains instead of Hearts .

Last edited by Beemer : 25th March 2005 at 01:17.
Old 25th March 2005, 11:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

I don't think Octavia is the best seller in the class. Is n't it Carolla? I apologize if i am wrong. I stopped reading Autocar after tbhp.

Tucson may sell initially. But sooner or later, Toyota Fortuner is going to capture the market completely like the Qualis did in the MUV market.

[quote=Beemer]You are right , brand name does matter , despite of having all the ingredients Elantra still has failed, main culprit being its looks . But.....

In the c+ segment , the competition is very strong in the form of Octavia . Well, to challenge Octavia you need to be better in all the things and i don't think there was , is ,will be(atleasty in the near future) any car to challenge Octavia . Excellent ride, diesel engine ,good looks ,extra ordinary build quality to name a few...
But , take the Octavia out from the market(though not feasible) and you will see the elantra taking its place , mainly coz of the CRDi .
[/QUO
Old 25th March 2005, 12:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, even that wont bring the Elantra to the top. The Corolla and the Optra (both petrols) have been the top sellers in the C+ segment. The Elantra is the 4th best selling car in that segment.

Here's the sales figure for Jan 05
Toyota Corolla - 830
Chevy Optra - 762
Skoda Octavia - 582
Hyundai Elantra - 397

And to give you an idea as to how low 397 is, Honda sold 339 Accords in Jan.

Quote:
Its like , we indians are Hungry for Toyota/Honda and wanna grab everything let it be **** , garbage they throw at us
From the present stable, which car do you consider to be "Garbage" and why?

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 25th March 2005 at 12:27.
Old 25th March 2005, 12:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

i beg to differ on a few points by shan2nu

the accent crdi is a huge hit in the south markets,wouldnt say the same abt the elantra
same's the case with the diesel octi

i would say the tuscon would be a big hit initally (flashback:sonata:accord(old) 2:1 ratio)

and would def outsell the crv, until the fortuner comes in then it would be back to the japs again or if honda does something more radical with thier crv

coz in my prepective even if we bought a merc it would be a diesel
the only advantage i feel the crv has is the autobox(main reason why we picked it up)
while the tuscon has better looks,diesel engine and would be cheaper.
what if it is a hyundai? i have no stigma attached to that.
Old 25th March 2005, 13:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the accent crdi is a huge hit in the south markets,wouldnt say the same abt the elantra
same's the case with the diesel octi
A huge hit compared to the petrol Accents maybe. But on the whole, it isn't doing much. All Accents put together are still 3rd best in it's category (Jan 05).

The Indigo/ Marina diesel sells in larger numbers. If you ask me, that's the biggest hit in this class.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 25th March 2005 at 13:19.
Old 26th March 2005, 00:25   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Nope, even that wont bring the Elantra to the top. The Corolla and the Optra (both petrols) have been the top sellers in the C+ segment. The Elantra is the 4th best selling car in that segment.

What i meant was , had the octavia been not there , Diesel elantra would ve def taken the place of octavia(or atleast would ve been in a better position then what it is now) being the only diesel in its class .

Quote:
I don't think Octavia is the best seller in the class. Is n't it Carolla? I apologize if i am wrong. I stopped reading Autocar after tbhp.

Did i say that octi is the best seller ??? Its good to stop reading the ACI but i hope you do read the messages thoroughly !
Though i would like to say ,octi deserves to be the best seller (subjective) !

Shan2nu[/quote]
From the present stable, which car do you consider to be "Garbage" and why?
Shan2nu[/quote]

Toyota qualis(thankfully it's been replaced) , Even the corolla and the NHC dont deserve all that respect as there are much better cars available in their segments and both are severly overpriced as well but still they are topping the sales ! why?

The answer is very clear , its just the Badge . We ve always been paying the premium for the badge ,but for how long ??? I think now is the high time , we should better start comparing cars rather than Badges .

The day we start doing that , we ll start seeing the same quality cars for which these brands are known for worldwide .

[quote=aadix]

i would say the tuscon would be a big hit initally (flashback:sonata:accord(old) 2:1 ratio)

and would def outsell the crv, until the fortuner comes in then it would be back to the japs again or if honda does something more radical with thier crv

aadix

You are very right , once the Fortuneris there , its going to be hard for Tucson to compete .

Last edited by Beemer : 26th March 2005 at 00:44.
Old 26th March 2005, 00:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What i meant was , had the octavia been not there , Diesel euld ve def taken the place of octavia coz of being the only diesel in its class .
Ofcourse, it would have. When you don't have a competitor, obviosly you're gonna win.

Shan2nu
Old 26th March 2005, 00:52   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Ofcourse, it would have. When you don't have a competitor, obviosly you're gonna win.

Shan2nu

Same is the case with Tucson . All alone as there's no other Diesel SUV(forget the Endeavour , its all together a different beast) currently in the market .
Old 26th March 2005, 01:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same is the case with Tucson . All alone as there's no other Diesel SUV
Yup it'll be the highest selling diesel SUV in it's class (bcoz it's the only diesel in it's class). That's understood.

Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks