Team-BHP - Your opinion needed. E-class or 5 series?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Your opinion needed. E-class or 5 series? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/5264-your-opinion-needed-e-class-5-series.html)

My uncle in Germany, with whom I stay is planning to change his car. Currently he has a 745i and a Z4 2.0, which is most of the time with me. He bought the 7 in Feb `04, bought it from a used car mart. I heard that Beemer’s got great demand in India right? Will there be a lot of restrictions if we had to bring the car to India? And how much can this car fetch up in the market? It’s a 2003 model. Over here, the demand for a used 7 is pretty low.

And now that he is planning to buy either an E-class or a 5 series. Not a brand new one but a used one. I am getting mixed reactions from my friends over here. His priority is a comfortable ride, good interiors, reliable. Most of the time, he will be on he back seat and it’s only on Sundays when he drives the vehicle.

What do u experts say?
please:

Gimme 5! Anyday.

Obviously you will have to take into consideration local factors like maintenance costs, insurance, resale value et al.

He'll be on the backseat? I'm curious - dyou get drivers in Germany and are they affordable, or are you planning to do the honours?

Also, whats he going to do with a 7 and a 5?

The 5 series for sure. I'd pick hat for the looks alone. I too am curious about the driver aspect.

Since the car would be left hand drive, it'd be illegal to bring it to india. Others, cooreect me if i am wrong on this.

I would say 5-series too, just a more complete car and tons more exciting than the Merc. If you dont mind the looks, then go for it.

Another vote for 5, the car is HOT, mercs are for sissies :D

Wow, that’s quick response from you guys. Seems like the Beemer is too hot over there!!
But the local reviews over here say that the E class is more comfortable than the 5 series and the 5 is much better to drive and more sporty. And that is really confusing me, as my uncle ain't a sporty driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid
Obviously you will have to take into consideration local factors like maintenance costs, insurance, resale value et al.

Resale value is higher for the merc.

Quote:

He'll be on the backseat? I'm curious - dyou get drivers in Germany and are they affordable, or are you planning to do the honours?

Nope, he is gonna use it as his company car, so company persons will be there to drive it.

Quote:

Also, whats he going to do with a 7 and a 5?

He will soon dispose of the 7 and then would go for either 5 or the E. Or is there any other car with almost same specs?

5 series all the way dude

For me, the 5 series but would look at a merc 320cdi - new engines , for him - merc is more appropriate. End of the day, 95% of us are armchair experts - you need to drive and decide - both are not bad cars - all depends on what suits you most closely

Its the beemer any day for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike
But the local reviews over here say that the E class is more comfortable than the 5 series and the 5 is much better to drive and more sporty. And that is really confusing me, as my uncle ain't a sporty driver.

Thats correct. However, I dont think the Beemers have the reliability issues with electronics that the Mercs seem to have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike
He will soon dispose of the 7 and then would go for either 5 or the E. Or is there any other car with almost same specs?

Audi A6 or A6S

After reading the topic about all the possible problems faced by Merc owners, I'd say the 5 Series.

Hi Mike..
I am a BMW service engineer here.. so do know a bit about them.. well the problems faced by Mercs and Beemers are almost the same.. but the new 5 has got loads of complex electronics to make life simpler.. which it doesnt.. there are a few reliability issues.. but nothing that cant be solved.. and that too in Germany!! finally its ur verdict.. i would go anyday for the 5 as it has the young and sporty at heart appeal.. the merc is simply boring.. so if ur uncle is gonna have the urge for a kickdown.. thee beemer 5 has to be it..

Regards,
Maverick.

Quote:

Thats correct. However, I dont think the Beemers have the reliability issues with electronics that the Mercs seem to have.

That’s only the recent worldwide recall right? Here Mercedes have apologized for that and has made appropriate changes.

Quote:

Audi A6 or A6S

Forget the audi, I know its pretty decent car, but my uncle don’t like its front looks. Have to say that they have messed up the grille work. But I love the A8, have to be a winner in its class, but simply big and too expensive. The Merc CLS would suit perfectly for him but its expensive and you cant get that soon in used car mart.
What about Alfa Romeo? 456 or something? But again that too is a sporty car right?

Thanks Maverick, as I have heard in here, there are little reliability issues concerning mercs and a little more concerning beemers, whenever we go for a software upgrade for the 7, we used to see couple of 5 series after having a breakdown. And my uncle is tired of this beemer, the 7, after spending a lot for maintenance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick5490
i would go anyday for the 5 as it has the young and sporty at heart appeal.. .

There’s the problem. My uncle is not anymore young and sporty at heart.

Although I am a BMW fan, if you want comfort then go for an E class with air suspension.
I would suggest going for the diesel E-320 CDI.

Also Merc is launching a new range of V6 diesels to replace their inline 5 and inline 6s.