Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:34   #1
BANNED

Location: Gudaibiya; BAHRAIN/ Vandiperiyar; KERALA/ Wuhan; CHINA
Land Rover Defender to be phased out. EDIT: R.I.P.

Land Rover Defender to be phased out. EDIT: R.I.P.-lrdefsvx_1280_01.jpg

After 61 years on the market, Land Rover's iconic Defender SUV will finally be replaced around 2013, the British brand has revealed.

Land Rover's go-anywhere image was built largely on the strength of the boxy and nearly indestructible Defender, which has not even received a major change to its bodywork since 1983 -- before Hyundai had sold its first car in the United States and before GM created the Saturn brand. It stopped selling in the United States a few years ago.

New global standards for emissions and pedestrian-friendly front ends will require either an all-new vehicle or a profound engineering of the existing Defender, which went into production in 1948, Land Rover managing director Phil Popham told Australian newsletter GoAutoNews.

The new Defender will be even more capable than the outgoing vehicle, Popham said, allaying fears that it might devolve into another cute-ute with SUV looks and little true off-road prowess.

"We'll be really tuning up the versatility side and practicality side," Popham said. "That for me is the core" of the Defender's identity.

SOURCE: DETROIT FREE PRESS
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Oh no, thats so sad, an end of legend? No TATA must not do it. They could make it better engineering of prensent Defender as mentioned. Coming up with cute SUV type off-roader won't be another Defender. A defender should be like Merc G-wager, boxy & rugged! Let them add more luxury & comfort, but not a design change over.

More over since TATA regained the licence to make defence purpose vehicles for Indian Army, they could increace the production of Defender for military purpose mainly & civilian on order as did with Merc G-wagen. This could make the product profitable.
Old 23rd October 2009, 15:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

What the 'Beep'.

LR series was launched in '48. Defender was launched in '83 and the 'Defender' name was coined only after 1990. who ever wrote that needs to get his facts right.

It was not sellling in civvy market anyway. But military and other similar agency will still use it, hence will not go out of production. Just like Hummer H1, which is not available for civillian any more.
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
More over since TATA regained the licence to make defence purpose vehicles for Indian Army, they could increace the production of Defender for military purpose mainly & civilian on order as did with Merc G-wagen. This could make the product profitable.
Tata have to find a way to keep the Defender going. When the time comes, ship the written off machinery to the Pimpri plant and keep the Defender going as an army and maybe even a civilian SUV! Pedestrian laws be damned! Low prices guaranteed!
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:36   #5
BANNED

OH NO. And here I was silently praying each day that TATA gets this home.

Anyways i think the boxy model will go to the forces and the cute curvy one's will be sold to the others.

Sad :(
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:35   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

this is sad indeed
but there are zillions of lovely used series 1, 2 , 3 and the later defenders available in the UK at prices starting 3000 GBP.
this is such a legend that it will always remain an icon
Old 23rd October 2009, 21:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

As much as its sad to see the Defender being phased out, giving way to a revamped version sure sounds good!Nothing will come close to the iconic status of this machine,though!
Old 23rd October 2009, 22:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ
When the time comes, ship the written off machinery to the Pimpri plant and keep the Defender going as an army and maybe even a civilian SUV!
When they did it with the Renault Trafic, they wouldn't hesitate to do it with their own brand , would they?

Looks like Tata did have some foxy plans when they bought Jag-LR.

Last edited by nitrous : 23rd October 2009 at 22:26.
Old 23rd October 2009, 22:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
OH NO. And here I was silently praying each day that TATA gets this home.

Anyways i think the boxy model will go to the forces and the cute curvy one's will be sold to the others.

Sad :(
i always hoped TATA bought the defender down to india. now with the phase out news, TATA may as well get all the dies down to india and supply to local and international (where demand exists) markets. hope TATA is listening.
Old 24th October 2009, 01:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

everything must come to an end. let's see how the new one looks, i am pretty sure that won't be as exciting as this one.
Old 25th October 2009, 07:55   #11
BANNED

Location: Gudaibiya; BAHRAIN/ Vandiperiyar; KERALA/ Wuhan; CHINA
Update

Project Icon, the long-awaited replacement for the 61-year-old traditional Land Rover, is under secret development inside JLR’s Gaydon design centre and earmarked for a 2012 launch.
The new Land Rover is a relatively simple, steel-suspended workhorse intended also to attract lower-end Discovery buyers. It should hit the market soon after Land Rover’s existing iconic model, the Defender, reaches the end of the road, killed by legislation, and will reach most of the current Defender's 160-odd export markets.
The new Project Icon workhorse is based on the tough, capable but relatively heavy T5 steel platform chassis used for the existing Discovery and Range Rover Sport models, both of which are due to be replaced beyond 2012 by aluminium-based models which are between 400kg and 500kg lighter.

Land Rover wants to retain a simple, twin-rail T5 chassis because allows them to continue offering the variety of body styles — hard and soft tops, truck and crew-cab versions – from which Defender buyers can now choose.
The T5 chassis supports a modern all-independent suspension available both with steel and air springs. It is well-known for its sturdiness, but will need its own weight-reduction campaign.
The model will be made in the UK at first, but JLR bosses believe it could soon be made from KD (Knocked Down) kits in big markets like China, Russia and India.
There are no details yet of Project Icon’s engines, but a big four-cylinder turbodiesel like the Freelander’s Ford-PSA 2.2-litre four, or the base Discovery’s 2.7 litre V6 turbodiesel make likely candidates.
Old 25th October 2009, 09:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
i always hoped TATA bought the defender down to india. now with the phase out news, TATA may as well get all the dies down to india and supply to local and international (where demand exists) markets. hope TATA is listening.
I really hope they do this.
Old 25th October 2009, 09:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is indeed a very sad. I have always wanted to own the LR Defender 110SW and ever since TATA bought JLR have been hoping for them to bring it to India. Anyways all the passenger safety norms that are forxing design changes are still some years away in India and I really hope that we get it here.

May be someday I'll be able to go to Ladakh in my own Defender.
Old 18th April 2011, 12:10   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Land Rover's Defender to be phased out in 2015, due to emission norms

Land Rover plans all new Defender | Autocar India
Land Rover finally IS working on the project.
Now trying to take over the Land Cruiser 70 family and the Nissan Patrol family.
Me a LC fanboy but would like the old Defender to be offered her at affordable prices after it's phased out ,but all-aluminium is a problem.
Old 18th April 2011, 12:35   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Land Rover's Defender to be phased out in 2015, due to emission norms

sad to see an icon being killed off.
I understand that even now 70% of all land rovers ever built are actually in use somewhere in the world!
And why should the all aluminium body be a problem - since it beats rust all the way Id have thought it to be an advantage even with the new age metals and alloys of today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks