Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2010, 01:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Good riddance to bad rubbish..!

The Trabant used to be the butt of jokes anyway!
Old 14th January 2010, 01:56   #17
BHPian

Now, what stops me from being eco-friendly and buying this car. The dread I will have while driving this car, what would happen if I am attacked by swines
Old 14th January 2010, 08:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thank God this wasn't launched in India. We would have had cattle chase cars instead of dogs. But very very environment friendly car indeed.
Old 18th February 2010, 19:44   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
Thanks Ram for posting such a rare car and it's unique feature.It's quit new to see and read about this car.

Vasanth: Are you sure that A star is 95% recyclable.could please please let us know the source.
If you're interested to see what these cars are capable of then i would recommend reading The Trabant Trek by Dan Murdoch.
This English guy drove a Trabant from Germany to Cambodia, via Turkey, the Caucasus, Central Asia, The Pamirs, Siberia, China.
It's crazy what they managed to put them through (though they did spend most of their time broken down and looking for welders). Extreme motoring.
Old 18th February 2010, 21:21   #20
BHPian

Lovely topic. This car has a sort of cult following here in Germany. If one goes down to Berlin, one can rent this car and drive around the city in one of these. The Trabants can still be seen in several German cities in various colour schemes and a rather wide colour palette driving around.

I see a sky blue one almost every day, similar to the one in the picture above, parked rather close to my house and is still intact. There is another one around the city in pink and has a very funny statement on it which loosely translated into English says "Men of steel drive in cars made of cardboard".

Will click some pictures and post them ASAP.
Old 18th February 2010, 21:36   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonorm View Post
If one goes down to Berlin, one can rent this car and drive around the city in one of these. The Trabants can still be seen in several German cities in various colour schemes and a rather wide colour palette driving around.
Wouldnt emission norms disallow these cars from plying regularly - other than on historical/fun rallies etc. ?
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Wouldnt emission norms disallow these cars from plying regularly - other than on historical/fun rallies etc. ?
Don't know much about the emission norms here but then again asking some of my German colleagues/friends did not give me any answers. If it is a 30 year or older car, one gets a special number plate and I think can be driven around but none of the Trabants I have seen have the special number plate.

I believe that such cars cannot be driven in certain zones in the city but otherwise one can drive them around.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Imagine parking a brand new car in the parking lot only to discover the remains of it the next day!
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:11   #24
BHPian

When i saw the pics i was like

Now i know this can never be a success in India
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

I just came upon this thread and I can say for sure that the pig is going to have dysentery + diarrhea after a couple of days. How in the world is it possible for an animal to eat a car?!! Pigs sure do have nerves of steel to eat such things and still survive!
Old 22nd September 2010, 14:26   #26
BHPian

I think these are pics from a German movie called "Black Cat, White Cat". There are several shots of a particular road they show in the movie on which this car is abandoned. Everytime a character passes that road they show the pig eating the car & what's left of it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks