Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2013, 20:50   #2941
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekdev View Post
I am looking for a fun to drive Sedan/SUV to buy for just the pleasure of driving. ..

What I am looking for is:
1- New Sedans/SUV to Buy
2- Price $50k on-road price (not sure what term they use in US :P but that includes i.e. 6.25% MA tax + roughly 5-6K for insurance and other tax/fee).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post

My pick would be S4, 330Whp,
+Jomz

What a wonderful situation to be in. I keep on dreaming about a similar scenario every other day.

My pick would be either S4 or GT 500, I am going to get flamed for suggesting GT 500 . I have had the privilege of keeping a GT 500 with me for close to 2 months, so If I ever were to upgrade my car, it would be either GT 500 or S4.
Old 25th July 2013, 21:50   #2942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
+Jomz

What a wonderful situation to be in. I keep on dreaming about a similar scenario every other day.

My pick would be either S4 or GT 500, I am going to get flamed for suggesting GT 500 . I have had the privilege of keeping a GT 500 with me for close to 2 months, so If I ever were to upgrade my car, it would be either GT 500 or S4.
S4 would be ideal for Abhishek since he's in Boston and he would need a AWD in winters. Also he mentioned either a Sedan or SUV, so coupes and Roadsters are out of question.
VIPER_SRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 21:54   #2943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
S4 would be ideal for Abhishek since he's in Boston and he would need a AWD in winters. Also he mentioned either a Sedan or SUV, so coupes and Roadsters are out of question.
Exactly AWD with performance and luxury and also it has Bang & Olufsen audio
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 22:12   #2944
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs vineeth.

I am looking at both performance and luxury interiors in the car (in that order). I test drove the 350 F Sport as well while I visited Lexus and the difference was pleasingly evident on highway, but the 350 F Sport soared quite above my budget and with space/resale an issue with it, I have doubts if stretching my budget for it is worth.

The big american muscles you mentioned don't appeal much to me for my first car here and are more near the $47-$50 negotiated price range + taxes/insurance. I'll try to test drive the Cadillac ATS and the Infiniti Q50 this weekend (i.e. if the Q is available for test drive yet).

I had a question here, I am not sure I understand the term and benefits of a "performance hybrid" here. The Q50 hybrid Sport AWD seems to have a ~$3k MSRP premium. Can someone put more light on its benefits ?
I read some publicity pointers on Infiniti website, but that translates to increase in computer controlled engine mechanisms. Has anybody driven the Q50?
Few thousand dollars more might get you into a new 2013 BMW X5 around $52-53K. But remember is has more value than other cars. 4 Yrs/50K miles complete maintenance free including brakes and wipers replacements free of cost. Just fill gas and drive. Also you get new loaner cars every time its in service (BMW is good at giving nice loaners compare to other competitors). Needless to say, BMW's have good resale value in the industry. You can also try the lease option!
Old 25th July 2013, 22:33   #2945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Has anyone faced this? Cheating in the used car market?

Usual T and H initially so landed up on a hyundai thinking wth the price is lower.
Our trust was increased coz the seller was indian and we checked went through one of the record agencies(NOT CARFAX) and all looked fine.

Outright cheated and i didnt know how many times i had to say sorry to my friend but what i believe is this can happen to anybody. Please be careful.

Mistakes which we did:
1) Did check car fax as we got another report from a different agency.
2) Didnt haggle.
3) Didnt cancel the deal when the check engine light came on.
4) Trust anybody.

Can anything be done now? Or no?
2 years plus is a long time. You won't be able to justify even if you go the legal route. If it was within a month, you would have an advantage. Not after 2+ yrs.

We faced something similar for my friend's Hyundai Elantra. I am not sure i wrote that story here before but briefly, even after repeated nos', my friend bought an elantra for $4000. Within 3 miles of buying, engine light and airbag light came on. Didn't come on for 10 mile test drive. Took it back and they said its not related to engine so won't be covered and will need to be done outside. Since it was a as-is buy, we couldn't do anything.

Again the nationality of the seller was very close to being Indian.

But i have found good repair shops by Indians that do good work. So there are always such few nut cases. We had something similar happen with a Russian seller too and they have even worse reputation in auto market then any body else.

Carfax and autocheck are just basic pointers. There are many things that may go unreported. Best is to get an inspection from independent shop before buying. Those $100 is worth the peace of mind. It also becomes a good tool for negotiation.

As far as haggle policy, its an unwritten rule, a car cannot be bought without negotiation unless it is a Tesla.

Quote:
I am looking for a fun to drive Sedan/SUV to buy for just the pleasure of driving. I am not looking for fuel efficiency for this buy.

What I am looking for is:
1- New Sedans/SUV to Buy
2- Price $50k on-road price (not sure what term they use in US :P but that includes i.e. 6.25% MA tax + roughly 5-6K for insurance and other tax/fee).
3- Quick and Good corner handling
4- Winter performance (in MA area)
4- Good all around Visibility
5- Awesome Sound System (Are there abundant options to fit 3rd Party systems without a warranty void)
6- Resale value. I want to retain the car for 3-4 years

I really like the 335 xDrive and it fulfills all my needs, except that I cant afford a new one.

I like some of the cars I drove here, but am not sure which of those makes sense to own w.r.t. worry free long drive over the 3-4 ownership period and reasonable service/parts cost.

Some options I was considering but had confusions on:
1. 2014 Lexus 250 AWD F Sport : Given its small size, I have doubts on how easy it would be to sell after 4+ yrs. And also am not sure about service costs. It says that it needs tire change at 15k miles, break pad changes at 20k and brake rotor change at 50k
2. 2013 Infiniti G37 AWD: Is it overpriced? This is an outgoing model with some incentives but still costs a lot for the feature set.
3. 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 3.5L v6 4x4: Really liked its drive and overall tech. Probably it fits my needs best here. But is it worth the ownership? Heard of reliability issues with Jeep brand. Are these valid for the new Jeep Grand Cherokee (after Fiat intervention) too?
4. Audi Q5 2.0: How does it fare on service costs/reliability in 3-4 yrs.
5. 2014 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring AWD: Nice to drive, but no good music system. Seating comfort is mediocre.
6. 2013 Honda Accord v6 EX-L: Don't like its design, color, steering feel, seating position and Audio System interface. But a fallback option I could not skip in my list.

Appreciate any suggestions, feedback or experience sharing.

Quote:
I'll try to test drive the Cadillac ATS and the Infiniti Q50 this weekend (i.e. if the Q is available for test drive yet).

Here are my pretty long 2 cents. Sorry!

If you are planning on getting a luxury car, forget about good resale value. A couple of years old BMWs are available in $30k range when they are $50k new. Same thing with Audi and Mercs. If you want reasonable resale in luxury, look for Acura, Infiniti or Lexus.

Lexus IS250 is very underpowered. So atleast one of your criteria of it being quick won't match. Handling and Power is available in IS350. Resale won't be an issue especially with AWD. Its a good market for entry level luxury sedan especially coming from Lexus. The price of spares that you mentioned are regular wear and tear items that is bound to cost a lot. But apart from that, you won't have any visits to dealer.

You may be able to get more life out of tires/brakes if you are not exploring its handling limits all day.

For Q50/37, i suggest you wait a month if possible. There is going to be a big shuffle in prices of both. Since Q50 is priced similar to G37, major cuts are expected for G37 and it has been confirmed that G37 will be sold along side Q50 till Dec atleast. So you will be able to get sweat deals. Q50 on its own is getting rave reviews especially the S version. You may wanna do a back to back drive of G37 and Q50 to determine if its worth the jump. I am sure it is. Its a pretty good evolution of G37.

Stay away from Hybrids if you are looking for resale. They lose more value is what i have observed.

I don't know how Jeep GC will fit your requirements except that it can be had for <50k. Again, not quick, handling - its a SUV afterall and resale. This lose resale just like German counterparts.

Audi Q5 is a decent option, again, its not quick, decent handling and ride for a crossover and doesn't hold value after 3-4 yrs. I just sat in a brand new Q5 loaner vehicle. The interior are fantastic. I found the space a little less. Alternate to this is GLK350.

If you are going to get rid of Germans <3 yrs, you may do good but anything after that is a big gamble. Consider leasing Germans though i am not very favorable to that idea. But time to time, there are awesome deals to have on those.

Since you have considered Honda in your list, You can give Acura TL-SH-AWD a try. It is pretty awesome and has one of the best AWD systems on market. TSX is also an option and so is RDX. Acura has pretty good deals going on for their cars. You should be able to negotiate quite good. After 3-4 years, resale won't be a problem.

Cadillac ATS is a good car. But it is no scorcher. But is a good handler. It is cramped in space at rear and in cargo.

As others have mentioned, $50K is a decent budget. The question is why you are considering $6k in insurance?

A few under rated options are Evo and WRX.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your hunt. The best part of car buying process.
chevelle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 23:15   #2946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
2 years plus is a long time...
2 Years? Did I miss something in his post?
Old 25th July 2013, 23:34   #2947

My rental is getting over mid august , but I can probably extend and wait till early Sept to buy the car. I hear Labour day (Sept 2) has some deals to offer but not sure they would have one for a new entrant like the Q50.

I am not comparing the SUV/CUV choices on the "quick" parameter with the other cars, but rather I kept the comparison in their own segment. The Jeep has a nice ride and seating position, but I hear lots of reliability issues to hound it. I never owned a SUV in India so somewhere in my mind I always wanted to own one for a long period.

Leasing option suits with its mileage barriers does not suit me either. My dream is a cross country ride while WFH :P.

The insurance part is a problem I was hoping to settle once I zeroed on the car. I am reserving 5-6k for both the community taxes, doc fee and the insurance, and not just the insurance. I was told by a friend that the community tax is around $25/$1000 spent on the car. I had a complicated Indian License situation, so my quoted insurance is on the higher side. I was hoping to get a suggestion on some agent/insurance agency in MA later.
Old 25th July 2013, 23:51   #2948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
No point worrying about fuel efficiency after getting a 2 ton sedan with a V8 engine and crazy performance.

The S4 has huge mod potential - a simple ECU flash will take you to over 400 WHP. It already is a super quick car, 400 hp - you maybe looking at under 4 seconds for 0-60. If you can live with the numb steering and nose heavy feeling, that performance is really something.

How is the long term reliability on the supercharged v6 based cars from Audi?
The guy who got the E90 should not have worried much of the mpg, but since it is his only car, he does not need performance always, but needs the mpg.

As far as I heard, the supercharged v6 is a workhorse on many cars. S4, A6, A7 etc.

Shoud be reliable (heard from a cousins borother kinda), i haven't seen any in my workplace though. There are quite a few 2.0 T's around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
I have had the privilege of keeping a GT 500 with me for close to 2 months, so If I ever were to upgrade my car, it would be either GT 500 or S4.
Pics and writeup please. Almost everybody has a 5.0 V8, but writeup of a cobra is very rare.

Last edited by Jomz : 25th July 2013 at 23:54.
Old 26th July 2013, 02:10   #2949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
2 Years? Did I miss something in his post?
He mentioned and i quote

'2 days later there was a check engine light which was taken to the owner who took it to his uncle who fixed it up.

This problem arose more times during the past 2 years(this car was bought in Aug 2012). So today my friend messaged me saying this car was bought from a auction. And even provided a link from the auction house for its ad. It is the exact same ride. This had some mechanical problems due to which it was auctioned off.'

So the CEL came 2 days later, was fixed as temp solution and they faced this problems for 2 years. He found out auction stuff after 2 years. i wonder how even after 2 years they have the ad up on the auction.

So if they had taken hard action 2 days later, it would have been worth it but usually, nothing can be done when buying as-is from a dealer or private party.

Quote:
My rental is getting over mid august , but I can probably extend and wait till early Sept to buy the car. I hear Labour day (Sept 2) has some deals to offer but not sure they would have one for a new entrant like the Q50.

I am not comparing the SUV/CUV choices on the "quick" parameter with the other cars, but rather I kept the comparison in their own segment. The Jeep has a nice ride and seating position, but I hear lots of reliability issues to hound it. I never owned a SUV in India so somewhere in my mind I always wanted to own one for a long period.

Leasing option suits with its mileage barriers does not suit me either. My dream is a cross country ride while WFH :P.

The insurance part is a problem I was hoping to settle once I zeroed on the car. I am reserving 5-6k for both the community taxes, doc fee and the insurance, and not just the insurance. I was told by a friend that the community tax is around $25/$1000 spent on the car. I had a complicated Indian License situation, so my quoted insurance is on the higher side. I was hoping to get a suggestion on some agent/insurance agency in MA later.
I understand that you are not comparing SUV to sedan, but your segment choices is too varied as you are considering sedans and suv. Already there is a healthy debate going on for same in Indian auto scene. You may refer to that. If you want a quick SUV, look for FX37/X3 3.5/GLK350/RDX. These are pretty quick. Since you are not going pre-owned route, i can't suggest you JGC SRT8. You can have a year or two less for $50k or so. That is one hell of a scorcher.

Q50 will have good deals after 3-6 months of honeymoon period. You may be able to get some deals on labor day but i won't bet on it. That would be a killer day for G37 though. Many dealers would want to get rid of it asap so Q50 sells more as they will have more profit in it.

Since you mentioned you don't drive much in a year - 12k miles, i thought you may give lease a chance. But if you are planning long trips all the time, you are better off buying it.

I don't know about community taxes. I have heard that for first time. Since you mentioned state tax separately, i was confused why would you pay so much for insurance. Please do inquire about this taxes as you may over pay if you are not sure what that is. As for insurance, do get local license if you plan to keep it long. That will help a lot to keep your insurance down. There have been many pages of discussion on insurance, license. You may want to go through those. Anyway, that is moot point for now.

The old jeeps had problems that you mention. New ones are much better. They won't bother you for atleast 3 years for sure. A couple of members here has Jeep. One has a Grand Cherokee and another has Wrangler. You can talk to them. I know one member name is Gujarati who has wrangler. Don't remember other member's name. If you are considering GC, also consider Ford Explorer.

You always have S4 as others have suggested. Don't know if it fits your budget. It starts at $47k, so you are looking at atleast $50k with taxes and insurance extra.

Last edited by chevelle : 26th July 2013 at 02:31.
Old 26th July 2013, 06:41   #2950
Senior - BHPian

Am Back!

Thanks a lot all of you. I feel we wont be going further with the case anymore. But it left a lasting impression in my head. Folks going for anything in the 1-10k range take your time in doing the research.

Well learnt the lesson the hard way. What feels worse for me is its my friends and i was one who looked at it with her. So i should hide my self for a couple of days :(
Old 26th July 2013, 12:40   #2951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Am Back!

Thanks a lot all of you. I feel we wont be going further with the case anymore. But it left a lasting impression in my head. Folks going for anything in the 1-10k range take your time in doing the research.

Well learnt the lesson the hard way. What feels worse for me is its my friends and i was one who looked at it with her. So i should hide my self for a couple of days :(
Hey don't be so hard on yourself. I have been in similar situation for two of my best friends. I was upset too when they didn't listen to my negative opinion of the cars they eventually bought. If one is bound to suffer, you cannot stop that from happening.

But i agree, research is very important when buying as-is vehicle even though buying from a known acquaintance.

May be someday i should pen down such experience too. Most of the time we write about our car buying experience that mostly had a happy ending. A different climax would be entertaining and eye opener too. Guess i will bite it tomorrow.

P.S: Found a couple of great articles on Lease. Hope this helps buyers deciding between lease and buying.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/f...tid=nl62514150

http://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/1...tid=nl62514149

Last edited by chevelle : 26th July 2013 at 12:41.
Old 26th July 2013, 22:22   #2952
BHPian

Small things can make a day.

In the annual Woodward Cruise of 2008, I snapped a few pictures of a very handsome vintage car that rolled past me. The aesthetic beauty of this car was stunning. I had never heard of the brand either, and I assumed it was some low production car from the WW2 era.

Later, upon research it turned out it wasn't actually a vintage car, but a product of the "era" car manufacturer Zimmer. I've been intrigued by this brand since then, as they make some really beautiful looking cars based on modern platforms and engines.

Coming back to the made my day part. I discovered today that the very same Zimmer I had snapped in 2008 and admired ever since, lives right in my neighborhood, bang next door to my friend of 15 years, and hardly 1 mile from my residence! I must have been visiting this friend like a dozen times a month for the past 10 years, but I had never chanced upon this car until today.

The friend, unfortunately, is one who thinks of cars as just another commodity (bread, apples, lawnmowers, cars, pots and pans). When I told him my story about this car, he said he already knew his neighbor had some old long and ugly car hidden in the garage for a long time, that he can never take to work.

I'm going to chat with the owner the next time I'm around. Attached are the photos of this Zimmer I took from 2008.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-dscf0682.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-dscf0683.jpg  

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 26th July 2013 at 22:25.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 05:14   #2953
BHPian

I always loved this car. Been around for a while now. Don't know if you can still get it, though. Kinda wonder whether these cars get a pass on the 5 mph bumper (if that is still a requirement) and the 3rd REAR BRAKE light requirements, 'cause those bumpers ain't cutting it and does not have the 3rd Brake Light.

You just need a garage big enough to park a BUS.
Old 27th July 2013, 05:46   #2954
Senior - BHPian

Nice find, Ninad!

Tomorrow I am going to the annual New England Mopar Club's annual Meet and Greet at 6K. There will be a scenic drive through the White Mountains, a drive to the Mount Washington peak and tons of crazy Mopar cars from New England, and some from Canada too! Will get some interesting pics.

I am just a little apprehensive about being the only Indian family among a sea of whites!! But they are all nice people so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
I still don't get people who queue up for long queue's at toll booth. At least if you are in North-East you are not going to escape tolls.
The other day I was driving my wife somewhere in her car and since her car does not have EZPass, I got into the cash lane. When I reached the booth, I was behind an Audi S4. That guy apparently paid the toll for me too! When i reached the toll, the attendant told me that he paid for me too. I told him that in that case, I will pay for the guy behind me. The attendant was somewhat impressed i guess because he started talking about how most people dont recognize a kind gesture and all that. I would have missed that experience had i been driving my car that has EZ Pass!
amitoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 22:38   #2955
BHPian

Vloct, I'd never have thought of your questions The Zimmer web site is not too informative, although their 'latest' models seem to be no different than the old ones (w.r.t. the 5mph bumper and the 3rd tail lamp).

They come with pretty steep prices though, for something non-complaint with basic modern safety norms, especially considering the potent modern V8's under the hood.

The car in my photos is from the 80's, and probably has the 5L Mustang V8 (from internet hearsay). I am not sure if the modern Zimmers are still loyal to Ford V8's or V6's.

Amit, happy horsing! Post some pics when you can. I have a bunch of recent pictures to post from an annual summer car meet in my town (really neat vehicles from the past kept like Gold), but am too lazy to post them. I just might after you do

In the summer of 2010 I once got caught at a run down one-lane unmanned toll booth (=EZ pass or exact change only) on the ramp for GSPkway in NJ. At such booths they leave a stack of envelopes in which one can snail-mail the pending toll or submit the toll at any manned toll station within 14 days.

On the 5th day itself my postman delivered to me a bill for ~$25 from the NJ road authority (toll was about $1 or something, administrative charges were the remaining $23-some). The bill carried a nice photograph of my car at the booth too. I appealed back in writing saying I still had 9 days to pay my toll, inserted some change in the envelope, and sent it off. Apparently they accepted my appeal because I never heard back from them. Crooks.

Speaking of toll, there is another toll trap in Canada, somewhere along the Eastward 401-407 highway exchange approaching Mississauga. No toll booths, no toll info (amounts, distances), just a quick warning that your toll will be assessed remotely by traffic cameras. I was surprised to receive a hefty toll bill in my mail a few days later, for a stupid 2 mile 10 minute detour I took on this stretch just to have my kids take a bathroom break..must be the costliest piss I'd taken to date

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 27th July 2013 at 22:41.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks