Old 2nd November 2011, 06:49   #541
BHPian

re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi!!

@ Cheiron Kindly guide on the below-
Is renting different from leasing?
Leasing is typically for new cars, isn't it?

Is there a Down payment associated with renting and what could be the typical range of rent?

Cheers
Renting is a short term (most rentals are for a few days or a week or two).
The car is registered in the rental company's name and most likely will be a year or so old with a few thousand miles on the odometer.
Unit costs (i.e. per day rental fee) are high compared to leasing but total costs are lower as you are only using a few units.
Renting is like borrowing a car with permission and after paying the owner (the rental company).
Upfront costs are low - a hold is put on the renter's credit card for ~$300 (not charged, though it reduces the credit remaining on the card by $300) till the rental is completed. The hold is removed once all rental fees have been paid by the renter.
Renting is an option if you are temporarily without a car and need it for a few days.
Most car rental agencies require you to have or buy insurance for renting their vehicle.

Leasing is a longer term (most leases are for 36 to 48 months).
Unit costs are lower than renting, but total costs are higher as you are paying for a much longer duration.
Leasing is almost like buying a car. The car is registered in your name, you have to pay for the sales tax and other registration fees. The car is usually brand new (though there could be lease options on used cars - I do not know of any).
Upfront costs are high - several thousand dollars as downpayment, hundreds of dollars for registration etc.
The lessor is permitted to drive the car for a certain pre-determined number of miles per year or per month the car is under lease based on the lease terms. Exceeding this results in additional per mile charges at the end of the lease, unless you buy the vehicle from the leasing agency (usually an auto finance company).
You have the option of buying the car at the end of the lease, however the 'buy' price, determined by the finance company, can be higher than what the typical market price of the vehicle would be at that time.
You have to buy comprehensive and collision insurance, not just liability insurance for the leased vehicle.
You can get the exact make/model/trim/engine/car color for lease that you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
No renting and leasing are different. You don't have to pay any deposit for Rentals. Rental prices vary city to city, cars to cars. Say in LA you can rent a compact for $20 for a day, which are typically Ford Focus, Accent, Aveo. The prices may go up to $100+ for SUV. You can rent Mustangs for say $100-$125. These prices may vary, if you have any coupons or corporate discounts.
On top of this you need to pay for your insurance , which will come up to $30 approx based on what you choose.
If you want a particular make/model of vehicle, make a reservation with one of the larger rental agencies - Avis, Hertz etc. and make a request for it at the time of rental (if reserving over the phone). Also, call the pick up location and inquire if the make/model is available on the day of your rental. Many pick up locations will accommodate your request or suggest an alternative day for rental. You are likely to get the general make/model of vehicle you like, but not a specific one with specific features. [e.g. You can get a Ford Mustang pretty easily, but getting a 2012 Mustang in Jan 2012 might not be possible as they would likely only have the 2011 models. Further, you might get the one with V6 engine instead of the V8.] Think of renting as getting a call taxi without a driver.
Cheiron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 00:21   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Anyone driven the 2011 Mustang V6? Different reviews say different things. Some give a lukewarm review but some say that it feels very powerful.

280 lb-ft at 4250 rpm... difficult to believe that this car is not fast. Not compared to a GT, but compared to 4-cylinder econoboxes around the same price. Does it still feel slow, or is it satisfying to drive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
The only complain i hear from users are those who drive stick shift. Apparently 2011 had gearbox problems which ford has acknowledged for focus, fiesta and mustangs.
Yes the 2011 models have major problem with the transmission. But its mainly with the Manual shifts. There are loads of complaints on this

Like chevelle says, it may not really be the most comfortable car, so I strongly suggest that you take a rental and drive for a few hours to see the seating and comfort.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 00:41   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
280 lb-ft at 4250 rpm... difficult to believe that this car is not fast. Not compared to a GT, but compared to 4-cylinder econoboxes around the same price. Does it still feel slow, or is it satisfying to drive?
If you compare with a 4-cylinder, obviously you will feel like God on wheels. It is fast. Bring in other v6s and its on par with others while being better in some area. Drive it over long distance with family and own it for long time and you will feel it is highly impractical. So it is advisable to have a spare sedan/suv for family needs and keep such coupes as weekend fun.

Is it satisfying to drive? I would say, to each his own. What i like to drive, you may not. But generally, after driving cars in India, you will love the Mustang. Spend some more months/years here and you will know that Mustang is just a car and there are very good alternatives to it especially if you go the pre-owned route.

If you want to have the cake and eat it too, try some sports sedans/coupe, like G35, IS350, 335i/ci, STi, Evos and you will see that it matches and beats mustang in every department while being cheaper to maintain, higher quality interiors and good FE and higher resale. Muscle cars are awesome to own and dream, but those will be with V8 engines which are absolutely hoot to drive. V6 are just not made for muscle cars though sales of v6 are higher as V8 are costly.

The best thing about renting one to check if it is good car for you or not is because you can carelessly rip it to the max and not worry about anything later. We did exactly that when we got mustang. We would redline every now and then at slightest of opportunity and on open road will do above 80-85mph in 75 mph zones.

Last edited by chevelle : 3rd November 2011 at 00:44.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 02:19   #544
BHPian

Quote:
If you compare with a 4-cylinder, obviously you will feel like God on wheels. It is fast. Bring in other v6s and its on par with others while being better in some area. Drive it over long distance with family and own it for long time and you will feel it is highly impractical. So it is advisable to have a spare sedan/suv for family needs and keep such coupes as weekend fun.

Is it satisfying to drive? I would say, to each his own. What i like to drive, you may not. But generally, after driving cars in India, you will love the Mustang. Spend some more months/years here and you will know that Mustang is just a car and there are very good alternatives to it especially if you go the pre-owned route.

If you want to have the cake and eat it too, try some sports sedans/coupe, like G35, IS350, 335i/ci, STi, Evos and you will see that it matches and beats mustang in every department while being cheaper to maintain, higher quality interiors and good FE and higher resale. Muscle cars are awesome to own and dream, but those will be with V8 engines which are absolutely hoot to drive. V6 are just not made for muscle cars though sales of v6 are higher as V8 are costly.

The best thing about renting one to check if it is good car for you or not is because you can carelessly rip it to the max and not worry about anything later. We did exactly that when we got mustang. We would redline every now and then at slightest of opportunity and on open road will do above 80-85mph in 75 mph zones.
So agree with you, Coupe are generally not a practical car with family and kids for a daily run, But Yes if you have a spare SUV or sedan. Though I own a mustang i still feel it doesn't have the Muscle factor, while compared to the First Gen or somewhat the current 5th Gen. Styling is so similar to a normal car, except for the roaring V8 and humble V6.

Some one here is a HUGE fan of G35 I see
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 02:38   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So agree with you, Coupe are generally not a practical car with family and kids for a daily run, But Yes if you have a spare SUV or sedan. Though I own a mustang i still feel it doesn't have the Muscle factor, while compared to the First Gen or somewhat the current 5th Gen. Styling is so similar to a normal car, except for the roaring V8 and humble V6.

Some one here is a HUGE fan of G35 I see
I almost bought a coupe. Too bad they are priced some $2000-$3000 above comparable sedan. The closest muscle car in looks have to be challenger. Each time one passes by, wow comes out of my mouth.

Not a huge fan, but quite a bit. Especially after driving slow machines like 325i,328i,330i, is300, mustang. The only comparable ones were is350 and 335i which were like 10k more expensive . So, for now, i am having my cake and eating it too. Sports and Performance package are boon on twisties if you know what i mean. My closest friend has a mustang. He never gets above 18mpg. But then he drives many times at 100mph and have already got 2 tickets. He rips it like there is no tomorrow. I feel sorry for mustang but so far it is quite good.

Last edited by chevelle : 3rd November 2011 at 02:41.
Old 3rd November 2011, 03:33   #546
BHPian

Quote:
I almost bought a coupe. Too bad they are priced some $2000-$3000 above comparable sedan. The closest muscle car in looks have to be challenger. Each time one passes by, wow comes out of my mouth.

Not a huge fan, but quite a bit. Especially after driving slow machines like 325i,328i,330i, is300, mustang. The only comparable ones were is350 and 335i which were like 10k more expensive . So, for now, i am having my cake and eating it too. Sports and Performance package are boon on twisties if you know what i mean. My closest friend has a mustang. He never gets above 18mpg. But then he drives many times at 100mph and have already got 2 tickets. He rips it like there is no tomorrow. I feel sorry for mustang but so far it is quite good.
Absolutely, G35 is a fun machine. Do you have a ownership thread on it here?
Yea I get around 13mpg on my 2001 V6. The newer mustangs claim 35mpg though
Old 3rd November 2011, 03:49   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely, G35 is a fun machine. Do you have a ownership thread on it here?
Yea I get around 13mpg on my 2001 V6. The newer mustangs claim 35mpg though
His is a 2009 version. Still not able to get more than 25 mpg. I don't think 35 mpg is achievable from a mustang. it will be very very tough to keep it to 55mph-60mph. Have to say though, i haven't cracked 23mpg in my G35 too while camry easily gets 30 mpg even going at 75mph.

No ownership thread yet. Lack of time to compose one. Will do so soon. As such its been like 2 months since owned it. Still getting to know it. Camry is the other old partner which I love. Some day would love to write about these too.

Last edited by chevelle : 3rd November 2011 at 03:54.
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:42   #548
BHPian

Finally after much deliberating and driving around, I decided to get the Mazda RX8.
Before I got it, I got a compression test done on the engine. And the engine showed low compression in both the rotors, but then the dealer offered to replace it for free under warranty and also change the clutch without charging me labor for it.
So, after sleeping on it for almost a week, I decided to get the car and I dont think I could've made a better choice.

The car handles like a dream. Took it out on some twisty roads around the area and loved the way it took the curves. The low end torque sucks though. Tried a 0-40 sprint with a BMW 335i and got beat face down.
But then on the curves, the car is a different monster altogether. For the money I spent on the car, I must say its a pretty sweet deal.

Here are some pics of my first car
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-3.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-2.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-1.jpg  

Old 4th November 2011, 19:11   #549
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the RX8!! Is it new or used? I read somewhere that Mazda is going to stop this car. Is it still available?

Looking forward to your review of this car.
Old 4th November 2011, 20:54   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maranellored View Post
Finally after much deliberating and driving around, I decided to get the Mazda RX8.
Congrats on the car. What's the year and mileage. And if you don't mind disclosing the price would appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 00:21   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the RX8!! Is it new or used? I read somewhere that Mazda is going to stop this car. Is it still available?

Yes I guess post 2012 the car will cease their productions. I believe, the rotary engine development takes huge costs and also something to do with the regulation norms are the reasons.

Congrats on the RX8 maranellored, which year is that?
Old 5th November 2011, 00:47   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I guess post 2012 the car will cease their productions. I believe, the rotary engine development takes huge costs and also something to do with the regulation norms are the reasons.

Congrats on the RX8 maranellored, which year is that?
Its ending in June 2012.

Mazda to stop making rotary-engine vehicles - Yahoo! News

But they said it may comeback later since research will be going it. fingers crossed and hoping that they launch a better version with less problems.
Old 5th November 2011, 03:05   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Its ending in June 2012.

Mazda to stop making rotary-engine vehicles - Yahoo! News

But they said it may comeback later since research will be going it. fingers crossed and hoping that they launch a better version with less problems.
Ah Jun 2012! I also remember reading they will focus on the new MX5
I personally feel its a sporty feminine car (no bashing me for this)
Old 5th November 2011, 08:05   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah Jun 2012! I also remember reading they will focus on the new MX5
I personally feel its a sporty feminine car (no bashing me for this)
And i tend to agree with you too.
Old 6th November 2011, 00:44   #555
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Congrats on the car. What's the year and mileage. And if you don't mind disclosing the price would appreciate it.

Thanks
Thanks!
The car was used. A 2005 GT model with 70k miles on it.

I got it for $8000 but had to spend an extra grand for the clutch and some minor stuff.

Yeah, Mazda has stopped producing any more RX8s. The 2011 model is the last. The Rotary hasn't taken off as well as one would have expected especially with it being a fuel and oil guzzler.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks