Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2012, 22:59   #931
Senior - BHPian

re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
So i test drove the Charger today, both Hemi as well as V6. The Hemi definitely felt more planted on the road and loved its growl. The V6 felt a lot quicker and more responsive though. Downside was that the V6 did not absorb the road unevenness as well as the Hemi that had the Road/Track package.
Are you buying one?

You should try the challenger SRT8 392. You'll find it even better than the Charger. They are expected to get a 8-speed automatic soon. I guess charger already has the 8-speed. How did it feel?
Old 17th June 2012, 23:30   #932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Are you buying one?

You should try the challenger SRT8 392. You'll find it even better than the Charger. They are expected to get a 8-speed automatic soon. I guess charger already has the 8-speed. How did it feel?
Yes almost decided on the hemi powered RT, provided i get the financing.

The SRTs comes only in RWD, so those dont really make the list for me. New Hampshire winters demand and AWD.

The 8 speed V6 charger (SXT) definitely felt a lot more responsive than the V8 (RT). But the RT felt more planted and absorbed the broken roads better than the SXT. So, i am more inclined to go with RT because it has more power and better ride. SXT has only the mileage going for it. If i wanted mileage, I would not have even looked at a Charger.

But all this aside, as a plan B (if financing doesnt work out) I will need to look for a used, AWD car for around 10K. Any recommendations? Has to be 4 door, spacious, AWD and nice to drive Not very keen on corolla or civic or sonata as of now. Is autotrader the best source for used?

Hows your hunt coming along?

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 18th June 2012, 01:27   #933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes almost decided on the hemi powered RT, provided i get the financing.

The SRTs comes only in RWD, so those dont really make the list for me. New Hampshire winters demand and AWD.

The 8 speed V6 charger (SXT) definitely felt a lot more responsive than the V8 (RT). But the RT felt more planted and absorbed the broken roads better than the SXT. So, i am more inclined to go with RT because it has more power and better ride. SXT has only the mileage going for it. If i wanted mileage, I would not have even looked at a Charger.

But all this aside, as a plan B (if financing doesnt work out) I will need to look for a used, AWD car for around 10K. Any recommendations? Has to be 4 door, spacious, AWD and nice to drive Not very keen on corolla or civic or sonata as of now. Is autotrader the best source for used?

Hows your hunt coming along?

Cheers
Amitoj
That's a nice ride you planning to have. Are you getting the 8-speed in RT too? Do make sure you get that. The 5-speed is too old to be considered now. Also i am not sure how you feel but Charger will have poor resale, poor steering feel with AWD and you know this - thirsty v8s.

As for used AWD for 10k cash, in sedan, you can have G35X, TL-TSX SH AWD, subaru outback, subaru legacy, subaru impreza, lancer awd.

You also have options of SUVs in that price range. It could be anything from a CRV AWD to RX300 AWD.

As a used car source, i look at CL, Autotrader, Yahoo autos, MSN Autos, Cargurus, carsforsale. Apart from this i look at inventory of local dealers and automalls.

If you are open about American cars as used, you will have wider range of option. But i won't recommend it because they are a pain to maintain, old one's from big 3 were not good enough in power, FE, interior, fit and finish and had bad resale. But then sometimes you can get crazy prices too for pre-owned ones. So its your choice.

My hunt is going on. It was fun day yesterday test driving couple of good cars. I will update the thread soon with my experience.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 03:29   #934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a nice ride you planning to have. Are you getting the 8-speed in RT too? Do make sure you get that. The 5-speed is too old to be considered now. Also i am not sure how you feel but Charger will have poor resale, poor steering feel with AWD and you know this - thirsty v8s.

As for used AWD for 10k cash, in sedan, you can have G35X, TL-TSX SH AWD, subaru outback, subaru legacy, subaru impreza, lancer awd.

You also have options of SUVs in that price range. It could be anything from a CRV AWD to RX300 AWD.

As a used car source, i look at CL, Autotrader, Yahoo autos, MSN Autos, Cargurus, carsforsale. Apart from this i look at inventory of local dealers and automalls.

If you are open about American cars as used, you will have wider range of option. But i won't recommend it because they are a pain to maintain, old one's from big 3 were not good enough in power, FE, interior, fit and finish and had bad resale. But then sometimes you can get crazy prices too for pre-owned ones. So its your choice.

My hunt is going on. It was fun day yesterday test driving couple of good cars. I will update the thread soon with my experience.
Looking forward to your update.

The V8s dont come with the 8 speed. They say that the 8 speed gearbox can not handle the torque from the V8, so the chances of seeing the RT with 8 speed in the future are slim.

I am not too concerned about resale because whatever i buy, i will probably run it to the ground. Might get a second car some time down the line, but this one will stay for a long time.

I checked the autotrader site and for some reason, there are a lot of Jags with low miles available for 10K or thereabouts. They are all 2002 - 2005 vintage. Was there anything wrong with those years? I also saw some Ford 500s and some low mileage Subarus listed there.

Anyway, I will first try for the RT by getting someone from here to co sign the loan. If that does not work, then used it will have to be.
Old 18th June 2012, 04:59   #935
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I checked the autotrader site and for some reason, there are a lot of Jags with low miles available for 10K or thereabouts. They are all 2002 - 2005 vintage. Was there anything wrong with those years? I also saw some Ford 500s and some low mileage Subarus listed there.
For a first time used car I wouldn't recommend a Jaguar. If I'm not mistaken the only Jaguar with a AWD would be the Mondeo based X-Type - not a very good car, plus it's more of a compact and will be small based on your criteria.

Ford 500 is a blah (boring) car, please don't buy it.

Subarus, yes! Definitely would recommend a Subaru if AWD is important to you.

If you have storage space though, I see no problems with a RWD and snow tires.

I've driving a V12 powered RWD BMW 750iL in upstate in peak winter NY mounted with Nokian Hakka tyres and it ploughed through snow.

I drive my RWD car throughout winter ever year all over the NE and the only issue I face is ground clearance.

Edit: I added this only because you're considering a Hemi powered sedan - have thought about a Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Last edited by aah78 : 18th June 2012 at 05:08. Reason: EDIT: Added Jeep
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 05:39   #936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
For a first time used car I wouldn't recommend a Jaguar. If I'm not mistaken the only Jaguar with a AWD would be the Mondeo based X-Type - not a very good car, plus it's more of a compact and will be small based on your criteria.

I've driving a V12 powered RWD BMW 750iL in upstate in peak winter NY mounted with Nokian Hakka tyres and it ploughed through snow.

I drive my RWD car throughout winter ever year all over the NE and the only issue I face is ground clearance.

Edit: I added this only because you're considering a Hemi powered sedan - have thought about a Jeep Grand Cherokee?
Thats a nice ride, the 750.

Thanks for the tips about the Jags and Ford 500. Yes all the Jags are X types.
See, if i go for a used car, then it will only be for a year max, as a temporary arrangement till i build some credit and start getting good rates for financing.

Would it make sense to go for an RWD and shod it with snow tyres for one winters? I am asking because i have no idea how much snow tyres cost. And yes, storage will be an issue since i dont plan to buy a house any time soon here.

I guess I should start looking at Subarus then. I did come across a few of them too. There is one 2010 Subaru Legacy, done 70K miles going for around 12K, and a 2007 Impreza with almost similar stats. There is also a 2005 S60 with 67K miles, again going for 12K.

As a temporary arrangement, I can expand the criteria to include SUVs too i suppose.
Old 18th June 2012, 08:55   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking forward to your update.

The V8s dont come with the 8 speed. They say that the 8 speed gearbox can not handle the torque from the V8, so the chances of seeing the RT with 8 speed in the future are slim.

Anyway, I will first try for the RT by getting someone from here to co sign the loan. If that does not work, then used it will have to be.
Even i heard the same from dealerships here. But OTOH, news are already around that 8-speed will come to v8s. Lets hope they do come.

Jags of that time were not reliable. Would advise you to stay away from them. Same for 500 from Ford. Subarus are good option.

Just make sure on your quest for a new car you don't end up paying more in payments and get more interest rate then normal. Also get true value from Edmunds TMV and from truecar.com. truecar.com shows the dealer price, market value, invoice and MSRP. So you have a good chart to compare what people are paying. If you generate certificate from it, most dealership honor that too. So do look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post

I agree 1000% with you. People make a big deal about AWD and Snows. If you drive carefully RWD and FWDs are fun in snow to with ideal weapon. I have taken camry, sonata, g35 and other sedans to hilly area with lots of snow. No problem at all if you drive carefully. If you can find AWD in that price range, well and good, but don't fret if you consider a RWD too.

Quote:
Would it make sense to go for an RWD and shod it with snow tyres for one winters? I am asking because i have no idea how much snow tyres cost. And yes, storage will be an issue since i dont plan to buy a house any time soon here.

I guess I should start looking at Subarus then. I did come across a few of them too. There is one 2010 Subaru Legacy, done 70K miles going for around 12K, and a 2007 Impreza with almost similar stats. There is also a 2005 S60 with 67K miles, again going for 12K.

As a temporary arrangement, I can expand the criteria to include SUVs too i suppose.
The tire rates vary from vehicle to vehicle, but you have to budget $500-$1000 for the same and then every year mounting and balancing. America's tire and some other companies give life long mounting and balancing if you buy tires from them. In that case you won't have to spend $100 each time.

Subarus are your best AWD options
Old 20th June 2012, 21:29   #938
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need your opinion on the following used cars:
1. 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 53K miles, 11K USD:
Cars for Sale: 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo in Braintree, MA 02184: Sport Utility Details - 322771694 - AutoTrader.com

2. 2003 Dodge Durango, 52K miles, 8K USD:
Cars for Sale: 2003 Dodge Durango 4x4 SLT Plus in Danvers, MA 01923: Sport Utility Details - 323459976 - AutoTrader.com

3. 2003 Subaru Forester, 51K, 11.4K USD:
Cars for Sale: 2003 Subaru Forester X in Shrewsbury, MA 01545: Sport Utility Details - 323670630 - AutoTrader.com

4. 2010 Subaru Legacy, 70K miles, 12K
Cars for Sale: 2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i in Naugatuck, CT 06770: Sedan Details - 320028517 - AutoTrader.com

5. 2005 Volvo S60, 67.5K miles, 12K:
Cars for Sale: 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T in JOHNSTON, RI 02919: Sedan Details - 318163458 - AutoTrader.com
Old 20th June 2012, 22:24   #939
BHPian

Quote:
If its just a temporary arrangement, why not get something that'll be easier to sell too? e.g. 2007 Honda Accord SE, $11,990 - Cars.com

I know you don't want to buy Hondas but am sure you can find similar FWD cars that might be more agreeable. A FWD will be very easy to live with in winters especially with winter tires.

Last edited by mohit : 20th June 2012 at 22:28.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 22:43   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
If its just a temporary arrangement, why not get something that'll be easier to sell too?

I know you don't want to buy Hondas but am sure you can find similar FWD cars that might be more agreeable. A FWD will be very easy to live with in winters especially with winter tires.
Well, even though it will be temporary, it will still be heavily used. And if it sticks, then who knows. Might even decide to keep it just for fun sake.

While I have driven FWDs in winters here, I just cant get the image of that F150 getting bigger and bigger in my RVM on that stormy winter day, when i was driving back in the middle of a snow storm.

Btw, that Dodge Durango that i listed earlier seems to have clean record as per carfax report.
Old 20th June 2012, 22:46   #941
Senior - BHPian

These 3 are good option. I had consider Forester first then the GC and then Durango. Please keep in mind that Durango will be discontinued soon so its value will fall down even more.

GC will have poor FE. It is rated at 14/19, so expect around 16-17 mpg overall. In this $4/gallon times it sure will pinch. The Forester is rated at 19/25 so you can easily get 21-22. It won't pinch that much.

The forester is known for failure of the Catalytic Converter and the Cylinder Head Gaskets which may also cause the engine to overheat.All these are expensive repairs.

GC is known for failure of the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) which may prevent the vehicle from starting and also failure of Shock Absorbers. In some vehicles, it also had AC and Transmission problems.

Also consider that Forester has an estate/wagon like image. I am not sure how good you are with that. I don't have any prob with that.

I would say, drive both, see which one is good, check carfax and autocheck. Take it to a mechanic or a shop like Pepboys or midas and get it checked for $100-$200. It will be the best money you spent. You can later cover it when you haggle for price.

Both are good. Its just matter of negotiation for better price. Good luck. My money will be on Forester. It will be easier to maintain.

Quote:
Btw, that Dodge Durango that i listed earlier seems to have clean record as per carfax report.
Do take these reports with pinch of salt. All is not reported on the carfax so you may miss many things. Best is to get it reviewed from outside. Also check frame damage, suspension damage, brakes and tire damage. All these are costly to replace.

You won't believe this, i have not checked any kind of report for two cars i bought. Both were both with just a test drive of 5-10 miles and undergoing each and every stuff while parked in a parking lot. Even after getting it, i didn't bother to check the report. I trust my eyes and my mind more than i trust the report.

Last edited by chevelle : 20th June 2012 at 22:53.
Old 20th June 2012, 22:48   #942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

all season mud+snow tires should be enough with any drive combination. You shouldn't be driving if roads are not cleaned and salted, unless your work is cleaning and salting and you drive a big 4X4
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 23:06   #943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These 3 are good option. I had consider Forester first then the GC and then Durango. Please keep in mind that Durango will be discontinued soon so its value will fall down even more.

I would say, drive both, see which one is good, check carfax and autocheck. Take it to a mechanic or a shop like Pepboys or midas and get it checked for $100-$200. It will be the best money you spent. You can later cover it when you haggle for price.

Both are good. Its just matter of negotiation for better price. Good luck. My money will be on Forester. It will be easier to maintain.

Do take these reports with pinch of salt. All is not reported on the carfax so you may miss many things. Best is to get it reviewed from outside. Also check frame damage, suspension damage, brakes and tire damage. All these are costly to replace.

You won't believe this, i have not checked any kind of report for two cars i bought. Both were both with just a test drive of 5-10 miles and undergoing each and every stuff while parked in a parking lot. Even after getting it, i didn't bother to check the report. I trust my eyes and my mind more than i trust the report.
I am ok with driving a discontinued model as long as it drives well. Hehe, when i bought my OHC in Bangalore, it was already discontinued (but thats a different story altogether) I also dont have any problem with Forester's wagon like image. It is indeed a wagon and it showed up in my search only because i selected that body type.

The Durango is already 3K cheaper than the other two. If i manage to get another 1 or 2K discount on that, wont it make it a good deal? Provided the car checks out, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
all season mud+snow tires should be enough with any drive combination. You shouldn't be driving if roads are not cleaned and salted, unless your work is cleaning and salting and you drive a big 4X4
Well, let me go wild here and shy away from FWDs for now. If i regret this later, i can always claim innocence on account of being new here

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 21st June 2012, 00:07   #944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Durango is already 3K cheaper than the other two. If i manage to get another 1 or 2K discount on that, wont it make it a good deal? Provided the car checks out, that is.

Amitoj
Since you seem to like Durango, here are some problems with the car. You must be knowing the pros of the car so i won't mention it.

- V8 engine so gas guzzler. And since you may drive it daily. It may pinch. $100 for a full gas tank is
- Durango is known to have blower motor switch failure and ball joints failure. Also make sure there is no sludge build up.
- since it will be no longer in production, its part manufacturing will be stopped in 2017. I added this just for fun.

Obviously, if you can get this at $4k-$5k less it would be great deal for sure. You can use all those in gas. Also you do have to make sure it is in good condition. Again do check frame, chassis, suspension, brakes, tires. But as i said, the top 3 of your list should be under consideration.

Have you considered a Acura MDX or Pilot or Lexus RX300 or Highlander? They are utter reliable too and you can get 2001-2005 in that price range.

Last edited by chevelle : 21st June 2012 at 00:10.
Old 21st June 2012, 00:13   #945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 53K miles, 11K USD:
2. 2003 Dodge Durango, 52K miles, 8K USD:
3. 2003 Subaru Forester, 51K, 11.4K USD:
4. 2010 Subaru Legacy, 70K miles, 12K
5. 2005 Volvo S60, 67.5K miles, 12K:
I would go for the Subaru Legacy its quite reliable, at around 10K range you can get plenty of Honda's & Toyota's. Have a look at the individual sellers in Craiglist you can find pretty good deals, I got my Camry through it.

Make sure you check the Carfax/Autocheck , autocheck gives you unlimited VIN checks for a month , but Carfax gives 4-5, Carfax generally gives more detailed info than Autocheck things like service history.

Make sure the name on the title of the car matches sellers ID, very important. I got a standard inspection done at Pepboys costing close to 100bucks, you can use the inspection report to your advantage.

Mind you any repairs will cost you a bomb so stick to reliable Japanese cars, moreover Japanese cars are much easier to sell and has a lower depreciation that my opinion and experience so far.

Last edited by tj123 : 21st June 2012 at 00:14. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks