Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2005, 20:33   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But they, like the germans ( namely Porsche), like to do work rather than trumpet around about themselves.
Its a cultural thing. Japs are known to be extremely modest personalities.

GTO
Old 1st November 2005, 21:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Gurkha told me that Japs is an extremely derogatory word to refer to the Japanese in the same sense that Indians would be called brownies, or people from the African community would be called niggers.

I'm definitely paying heed henceforth.
Old 1st November 2005, 21:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head
Guys, Gurkha told me that Japs is an extremely derogatory word to refer to the Japanese in the same sense that Indians would be called brownies, or people from the African community would be called niggers.

I'm definitely paying heed henceforth.
I really doubt while typing japs can be considered derogatory...ricer yes, not jap, its like a short for when ppl, really dont want to type the whole thing..brownies = nigger = white trash = ricer = chinku, i really wouldnt be this sensitive with japs..
Old 1st November 2005, 22:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day

Now for NSX-R..do you know the base price? 462k????? thats freaking more expensive than any lambo and almost as expensive as an F50...the only reason NSX is taken in the same breath as a ferrari is because of its small production number...15000 made i think since its production started back 14-15 years ago..
The $462K price tag is for the NSX-R GT, which is a Homologation special for the JGTC only, and 5 will be ever made.

Quote:
NSX-R is a race bred car..with no ammenities..what Z06 is a full on sports car with the ammenities from a mercedes benz...now thats the diff and let me not start with the price..ok I never compare price because all products have a different target market..but Z06 is a far superior machine to NSX-R period..280hp of the nsx-r could very well be under rated...the reason vette uses a 7lt to achieve 505hp is because of the simplicity in the engine and also because you could own the only supercar in the world with no GAS GUZZLER TAX in the world...

yeah I have seen DICs of Z06s which read 31.3mpg on a long distance trip..now show me that on an NSX-R..oh wait..it isnt possible...not even 1/2 of that
I have read reports of NSX-Rs doing 31 mpg, extra urban, which I would presume is highway driving.

Quote:
and by the way your claim for NSX-R time...please I would like to see...I have done my research and it poor thing lapped the ring in 8:09 pathetic..for the supercar(so you call it and for 462k makes it crap)...the C6 does the ring in 7:59 for 45k and the Z06 in 7:42.99 for 65k and you know what you get, modern ammenities like Heads up display, memory seats, heated seats, telescopic steering, NAV etc etc etc...show me all this in any supercar????

if you put down the Z06 to just put the car you like on a pedestial then you are ignorant and not a real car guy..I love Ferraris and Lamborghini's and all the big names but I have been stunned by what the corvette team has done..in true sense nothing could come close to the total package this super car has to offer the Z06..the only thing which will is the Z06 SS or Corvette SS or Blue Devil whatever you might like to call it...

and please back youself up on those track times, what I found is 10secs slower than C6..come on man..

For your sake i did a little more research..and it turns out that the 2900lb NSX-R with 320hp did the ring in 7:56(ppl say it was not a full lap) still only comes 3secs quicker than the 3300 lb 400hp C6..which means both these cars are about the same..lets not put NSX-R in Z06 category please..
I did a little research of my own, The NSX-R and the Z06 both seem to lap the NS in 7:56. Now the detail here is, the NSX-R does it with 280 bhp and 1200 kgs, while the Z06 takes 500 bhp and 1420 kgs, to achieve the same.
Now that equates to 233.33 bhp/tonne for the NSX-R to 352.11 bhp/tonne for the Z06, but which one do you think will have the quicker responses? The key here is the weight.... the NSX-R is over 200 kgs lighter.
That's why the NSX-R is more expensive.

Quote:
and another joke of a performance I heard that the NSX-R was on topgear and they could only manage 1:31 where as C6 managed 1:26 or something on those lines and let me not get into when they might have the Z06 on their track..what like 1:20 or 1:21 atleast...and those are on the worst tires man has made...
TG lap times shouldn't be taken as any sort of indication of a car's potential, it's purely entertainment.

Though we have to hand it out to the 'Vette guys, they have come a long way. I was a little critical when I heard about transversely mounted leaf springs, but the NS times speak for themselves. I guess we as enthusiasts are getting a little snobbish as we hate to look beyond double wishbones, but is this is what helps going fast for cheap, so be it. The C6 seems like a car that is easy to go fast in, and that is not such a bad thing, is it?

Last edited by ported_head : 1st November 2005 at 22:10.
Old 1st November 2005, 22:39   #20
BHPian

Well i cannot afford to own an nsx or corvette cause i am only 22 and studying, but my father had owned a nsx-95 and then again a nsx-99,
since i am working part time in a bmw workshop and get to drive loads of cars and also have driven c6 vette and nsx so i think i can compare them.

you simply cannot compare corvette and the nsx they are totally different. Corvette whether z06 or not is always a sportscar and cannot be called supercar.

my father had to sell nsx cause insurance was more expensive than the ferrari f355 and also some jerk in a gm SUV backed into it cause he couldnt see the nsx as it sits to low.

i have seen 2 day old corvettes that look like 20 year old cars the interior fit and finish is just rubbish in GM cars.

ps: TG did the lap time of nsx when it was frikkin hurricane it was raining like hell that day and C6 vette was done in dry.
also there timings are absolutely bull****, supposedly the e60m5 have done a quicker laptime then f430 but they had to change the laptimes so that the ferrari didnt get pissed or else they wouldnt get to drive any of their cars in future.

also know your history about nsx.

Last edited by ashran2 : 1st November 2005 at 22:43.
Old 1st November 2005, 22:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did a little research of my own, The NSX-R and the Z06 both seem to lap the NS in 7:56. Now the detail here is, the NSX-R does it with 280 bhp and 1200 kgs, while the Z06 takes 500 bhp and 1420 kgs, to achieve the same.
Now that equates to 233.33 bhp/tonne for the NSX-R to 352.11 bhp/tonne for the Z06, but which one do you think will have the quicker responses? The key here is the weight.... the NSX-R is over 200 kgs lighter.
That's why the NSX-R is more expensive.
ported_head, this Z06 time you quote is last gen the current C6 Z06 as it is called was run in aug and did the ring faster(even if it is .01 secs quicker) than GT3 RS in 7:42.99 considering the tires available on C6 Z06 and that on GT3 RS you can easily say that the GT3 RS was demolished, since a good tire would lower the Z06 time by atleast 5-6 secs on such a big track and people who track their cars are claiming 10 secs..anyhow..C6 Z06 is a monster..and not to be mistaken with C5 Z06...it is miles ahead of it..

I am sorry I could not agree with the mileage of the NSX-R, the plane underpowered NSX has best gas mileage of 17/24 with combined 20, so I really doubt that NSX-R would be coming with better gas mileage....

Its very easy to make the Z06 weight lesser than the NSX-R, remove all the ammenities I counted..the Z06 is 3132 lb where as NSX-R is 29xx lbs, and the 7:56 time you talk about was done by best motoring and was not complete the first ever complete run on the ring for the NSX-R was 8:09 which is 26 secs slower than the Z06...

also btw Z06 is 200 lbs lighter than F430 and some 15lbs lighter than the most exotic CGT can you imagine...CGT which is all carbon fiber, ceramic brakes and what not..and has no luxuries..and it still comes 15 lbs heavier than Z06...

so I really dont think any of those claims are founded..

and more importantly the hp/lit and hp/lb numbers you just churned in front of me are for kids and not really what matters, what really matters is how the car performs and there is no denying that Z06 is the closet thing to the CGT's performance in under 1/8th the price or under 70k...or 100k or 150k or 200k or 300k

NSX is great but its not really worth the money in my opinion..the base is 89k+ extras and then the R would be closer to 150k if not 450..which i stand corrected on was the GT model...

Last edited by 1Day : 1st November 2005 at 22:59.
Old 1st November 2005, 23:04   #22
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Well i'd say...alot of emotions flowing on this one eh? Well, GTR all the way baby all...the...way!
Old 1st November 2005, 23:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashran2

i have seen 2 day old corvettes that look like 20 year old cars the interior fit and finish is just rubbish in GM cars.
again this seems like a comment by a person who doesnt like american cars..it is true for most american cars and to some extent the old corvettes, but the new ones are much nicer..I know people who drive 911 Turbo S and F430s who are buying Z06s and not complaining about the interiors..so your stand on vette fint and finish is not really accurate..surely I say they are not the best..but they are much better than they use to be and very close to 911..the 911 has finner interior leather and thats it..

Quote:
ps: TG did the lap time of nsx when it was frikkin hurricane it was raining like hell that day and C6 vette was done in dry.
also there timings are absolutely bull****, supposedly the e60m5 have done a quicker laptime then f430 but they had to change the laptimes so that the ferrari didnt get pissed or else they wouldnt get to drive any of their cars in future.
please show me the proof on the hurricane season run of the NSX thats funny..whatever it is Z06 is 26 secs quicker, given the NSX-R was drowning it would be what 15 secs quciker(conservitively speaking, though i doubt it) it still is slower..but it runs on much better stock tires than Z06 and tires will lower the time another 5-7 secs, so from a lead of 26secs to say 16 secs..lead is a lead..if the car can not perform as good for the price and doesnt look good and is not a good daily driver than in my opinion its not a competition...
NSX is just not put to the mark..

Quote:
also know your history about nsx.
Please I am all ears..not that I care to know about NSX but I would like to know how this 15 year old car has more history than a 53 year old legend???
and btw how is it that the C6R has been whooping everyone's arses to timbuktoo in lemans??? DB9R, MCS(MC-12), S7R, 911 GT etc...Z06 is the child of C6R..so there is no competition..
Old 1st November 2005, 23:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ported_head, this Z06 time you quote is last gen the current C6 Z06 as it is called was run in aug and did the ring faster(even if it is .01 secs quicker) than GT3 RS in 7:42.99 considering the tires available on C6 Z06 and that on GT3 RS you can easily say that the GT3 RS was demolished, since a good tire would lower the Z06 time by atleast 5-6 secs on such a big track and people who track their cars are claiming 10 secs..anyhow..C6 Z06 is a monster..and not to be mistaken with C5 Z06...it is miles ahead of it..
Yeah, my bad, the Z06 did do the run in 7.42.99. Pretty impressive.

Going by your logic, get better tyres(that's 10 secs down right there) , dish out all that you don't need in the car(atleast another 5 secs down?) , so that will better the time by say another 15 secs. Voila, that takes the C6 Z06 laptime down to 7:27.99!!! There you just beat the CGT's time of 7:28, and since it is already 15 lbs lighter than the CGT, the claim is warranted right? Maybe if you catch a heavy tailwind, and a little more nip and tuck here and there, and we might just see it beat the Radical SR3 Turbo too.

Of course I will only believe it, when I see the times, even the annihilation of GT3 RS as you call, and then I will give credit where it's due. It's not like Porsche pays me!

Quote:
I am sorry I could not agree with the mileage of the NSX-R, the plane underpowered NSX has best gas mileage of 17/24 with combined 20, so I really doubt that NSX-R would be coming with better gas mileage....

If you can't agree, not much I can do about that. Of course, I find it hard to believe than a 3.2L V6 VTEC engine producing 280 bhp fails to better gas mileage figures of a 7.0L V8 engine producing 500 bhp. Of course, GM's official figures for fuel economy stand at 22.6 mpg for comnined city/highway driving.
So it would be unfair to compare company claims for Honda to one-off claims by an owner.

Quote:
Its very easy to make the Z06 weight lesser than the NSX-R, remove all the ammenities I counted..the Z06 is 3132 lb where as NSX-R is 29xx lbs, and the 7:56 time you talk about was done by best motoring and was not complete the first ever complete run on the ring for the NSX-R was 8:09 which is 26 secs slower than the Z06...
The 7:56 lap was a complete one, driven by Motoharu Kurosawa of Best Motoring, and not the incomplete "Carrera Invasion" episode lap that you are referring to.

Quote:
also btw Z06 is 200 lbs lighter than F430 and some 15lbs lighter than the most exotic CGT can you imagine...CGT which is all carbon fiber, ceramic brakes and what not..and has no luxuries..and it still comes 15 lbs heavier than Z06...

so I really dont think any of those claims are founded..

and more importantly the hp/lit and hp/lb numbers you just churned in front of me are for kids and not really what matters, what really matters is how the car performs and there is no denying that Z06 is the closet thing to the CGT's performance in under 1/8th the price or under 70k...or 100k or 150k or 200k or 300k
Man, now you are just trying to get personal. Unless there is humour between the lines. The CGT's lap time was 7:28, that's a full 15 seconds faster than the CGT. 15 seconds on a 21 km track is a lot of time to gain. If, and when somebody does it, I will give up my Porsche loyalty forever and take up Z06s. Remember, nobody pays me to say this, even if it sounds like that.

Hp/Lit and Hp/lb is not everything, but are still significant figures. Power-to-weight ratio does mean a lot to me, even if I have to call myself a kid.

I'm not saying the C6 is a bad car, and for the price ~ $70,000, it offers fantastic performance. But some of the claims you make seem a little farfetched, unless somebody proves them, and then it's not a dream anymore.
Old 2nd November 2005, 00:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Please I am all ears..not that I care to know about NSX but I would like to know how this 15 year old car has more history than a 53 year old legend???
15 year old car? Latest revision was in the 2002, even if it only had to do with vehicle dynamics and aerodynamics. But, going by what you say, the Corvette would be a 53 year old car? The comparison parameters must remain constant, don't they?

Quote:
and btw how is it that the C6R has been whooping everyone's arses to timbuktoo in lemans??? DB9R, MCS(MC-12), S7R, 911 GT etc...Z06 is the child of C6R..so there is no competition..

The Vettes have been phenomenal in their category for quite a few years now. Though Aston Martin are newcomers aren't they? I would give them some time.

Don't Porsche GT3 RSRs race in a different category though? The GT2 Class I believe,and now in the LMP2 class as well, while the Vettes race in the GT1 class, they both lead their respective category(except LMP2), so who beats who? Unless I'm missing something out.

Last edited by ported_head : 2nd November 2005 at 00:12.
Old 2nd November 2005, 09:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think you are missing a point here. The vette has been in developement for half and century, and has become a wonderful sportscar after it went through 6 transformations( avatars if you like). The NSX, though, has never had a thorough redesign. They got it right the first time. And I think that is simply awesome for a company that never made any high performance car before that. I think yo should acknowledge Honda for getting it right the first time.

I think both are wonderful performance machines, the vette starting as a boulevard cruiser packed with muscle and jelly suspension and evolving through the stingrays, C4, C5 and C6 into a real athlete with excellent handling, while the NSX took a more clinical approach to performance motoring, right from the beginning.
Old 2nd November 2005, 15:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

What the hell is going on here? I checked this thread for a Lexus, and I see one knowledgeable (my opinion) member has left, and a bunch of others are busy arguing and getting personal...

Someone please close this thread or something.
Old 2nd November 2005, 15:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

I dont think anyone has become personal yet, its just a very heated argument, thats all.
Old 2nd November 2005, 15:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

i'll stick to the fact that Honda is way ahead of Chevrolet/GM in terms of engineering ...
its the technology that propels the Japs ahead of these american sportscars ..
as mentioned in the supercars thread ...one of the reasons supercars are titled so is because of their cutting edge technology that is something the Vette doesnt have man ...
am not saying that the z06 is that bad .. but look at what NSX can do with a 3.2L ..
and guess what ? despite the current performance stats of the Vette ..
arent we forgetting the fact that it only took the Vettes 15 years to catch the NSX ??

cheer..
Old 2nd November 2005, 19:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
and guess what ? despite the current performance stats of the Vette ..
arent we forgetting the fact that it only took the Vettes 15 years to catch the NSX ??

cheer..
Ill repeat what I said, the NSX got it right the first time........

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks