Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

He escaped being zapped by numerous radars en-route simply because he was going too fast and they were incapable of clocking speeds beyond 200kph (125mph).
"He needed over half-a-kilometre of road to come to a halt."

Now they are interesting statements.
Old 7th June 2013, 22:33   #17
BHPian

Re: World's biggest speeding fine

Hi everybody.
Today's Mumbai Mirror has an article about Indians being fined, for overspeeding, in Switzerland.The fine ranges from rs 9000 to rs 53000.
It also mentions about a million dollar(rs 5.7 crores) fine on a Swedish national.The methodology for arriving at this figure is also given.
Regards
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML
It is continued on page 5 and the link is:
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML
Old 7th June 2023, 12:40   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/tr...-10754991.html

Quote:
Finland hands Rs 1 crore speeding ticket to one of its richest men

A multimillionaire in Finland has been slapped with a 121,000 euro fine for speeding. Businessman Anders Wiklof, 76, was caught driving 30 km/h above the speed limit in Finland, where speeding fines are calculated based on the offender’s income as well as the severity of the offence.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 13:30   #19
BHPian

I don't really understand how fines for the same offense are related to the offender's bank balance. Such things will not fly even in other EU nations. It makes perfect sense for taxation to be based on wealth but not fines. Anyway, every nation to their own.

Last edited by srini1785 : 7th June 2023 at 13:39.
Old 7th June 2023, 15:20   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
I don't really understand how fines for the same offense are related to the offender's bank balance.
I guess it's to make the offender feel the pinch, irrespective of economic status. For someone earning 10 lakhs a month, a 1000-rupee fine is really not going to make much of an impact. And at the same time you can't raise the fine amount for everyone to 10K and expect someone earning 10k a month to pay that.

So to me this makes a lot of sense, a percentage of the person's income, will pinch both affluent and less affluent rule-breakers equally.

I think this applies in a couple of other Scandinavian countries too. A friend who worked in the US at the time was holidaying in one of those countries (can't remember which) and was pulled over for speeding. Apparently the cops were able to access his US tax records (!) to calculate the fine as a percentage of his income.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 16:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't really understand how fines for the same offense are related to the offender's bank balance. Such things will not fly even in other EU nations. It makes perfect sense for taxation to be based on wealth but not fines. Anyway, every nation to their own.
This is basically the day-fine system. If I remember correctly, the fine is can be up to 30 days of income. However, this is only if you "smash" the speed limit with your driving , like in this case doing 80+ in a 50-zone. If you are above the speed limit by up to 20km/h, then you will escape with a max fine of €200.
Old 7th June 2023, 17:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I think this applies in a couple of other Scandinavian countries too. ..
I live in Finland and earn only in Finland.
I got hit by pretty much the same fine amount for 20 over limit in Norway and Finland. near about 700 EUR.

Guess Norway too can access my Finnish earnings data.
14000rpm is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 18:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
The fine has nothing to do with bank balance but your taxable income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Can somebody clear the 300 days fine part?.
The concept is called 'dagsböter' where the offender is fined according to his/her taxable income and the seriousness of the offense decides how many days worth of salary is to be recovered as fine. This offense was so severe that they levied ten months salary as the fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks