Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 18:01   #1
BHPian

World's biggest speeding fine

Quote:
The 37-year-old Swedish man was driving at two and a half times the speed limit in his £140,000 Mercedes and police said he was travelling so fast it took him some distance to stop.
In Switzerland speeding fines are worked out using a formula based on the income of the motorists and the severity of the speed. According to prosecutors he is now facing the highest possible penalty of 300 days of fines at £2,166 a day – a total of £650,000.

"We have no record of anyone being caught travelling faster in the country," said a police spokesman, after they.
He was caught by a speed camera on the A12 highway between Bern and Lausanne on Friday.
He escaped being zapped by numerous radars en-route simply because he was going too fast and they were incapable of clocking speeds beyond 200kph (125mph). It was a new generation of radar machines that finally caught him travelling at close to 300kph (186mph).
"I think the speedo on the car, which is new, is faulty," he told police by way of an explanation.
The police arrested him shortly afterward and released him after questioning.
Benoît Dumas, a police officer in the region where the six-litre Mercedes SLS was stopped, said: "He needed over half-a-kilometre of road to come to a halt."
Source: Swedish motorist facing world's biggest speeding fine - Telegraph
In his defense he said "I think the speedo on the car, which is new, is faulty," hahaha
vagu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2010, 18:05   #2

Nonsense, the worlds biggest speeding fine is in a koenigsegg in Texas a few years ago.
Old 12th August 2010, 18:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Nonsense, the worlds biggest speeding fine is in a koenigsegg in Texas a few years ago.
I think that was the fastest speeding ticket.Above 200mph i guess.
Old 12th August 2010, 18:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
well that was the worlds fastest speeding ticket given. its owner was fined only about 500$ according to TopGear. i believe this is the most expensive so far.
Old 12th August 2010, 18:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagu View Post
I think that was the fastest speeding ticket.Above 200mph i guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bivin View Post
well that was the worlds fastest speeding ticket given. its owner was fined only about 500$ according to TopGear. i believe this is the most expensive so far.
A little bit research into the infamous Texas-Koenigsegg speeding ticket tells that it may actually be a hype. Wikipedia's page quotes the speed as 242 mph, where as the source linked to Wikipedia states it as 272 mph. There are places where the car is stated as a CCX (Wiki), as a CC, and as a CCR (quoting Topgear). This forum thread gives some bits too.

Bottom line: We never be sure if it really happened, or if it is just folklore
Old 12th August 2010, 19:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

The fastest speeding ticket was given to a veyron in california right?
Old 12th August 2010, 20:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

What do they mean about 300 days of fine @ 2166GBP a day? Why 300 days of fine??
Old 12th August 2010, 20:38   #8
BHPian

what a waste, unless the speeder is multi-millionaire. A few minutes of thrill and a significant duration of debt. Interesting to note though, information sharing regarding income between traffic police and tax department. Do Swiss banks release information to their own law enforcement?

I wonder what would happen if something like this were to be introduced in India? People caught speeding might try claiming money by showing BPL income
Old 12th August 2010, 23:06   #9
BHPian

Remember David Coulthard's 200kmph speed on the Bandra Worli link. There was a security deposit of 25lakhs for letting him drive on the link and the speed limit was 80kmph. After David touched 200kmph the authorities refused to give back the money to the organizers namely RED BULL and it was claimed to be the most expensive speeding ticket in the world.
av8er is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2010, 12:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
Remember David Coulthard's 200kmph speed on the Bandra Worli link. There was a security deposit of 25lakhs for letting him drive on the link and the speed limit was 80kmph. After David touched 200kmph the authorities refused to give back the money to the organizers namely RED BULL and it was claimed to be the most expensive speeding ticket in the world.
The deposit money was returned after a certain amount was deducted for damage to the road surface of the sea link. The Road was just the same before and after coulthard drove on it but yet our people wont let go of any opertunity to earn something extra. The amount is still far less than what was paid by the Swedish Gentleman in the SLS.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2010, 14:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagu View Post
In his defense he said "I think the speedo on the car, which is new, is faulty," hahaha
I like the reply given in his defense.

I think he should go straight to Merc Workshop for repairing them
Old 13th August 2010, 15:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

in Sweden, fines for the traffic violation are based the speed recorded & the reported income of the driver in the previous year. This is because the traffic police there are armed with minicomputers that are linked to the national server that can refer to the revenue records for the defaulting drivers' income detail.

There have been similar bigger fines in Sweden because of the same. Apart from this hefty fines have been charged in Canada as well.

I will try to get the link for above facts.

Interestingly, in Sweden a driver got his fine exempted because his current year income was a fraction of the previous year's income & he cited unavailability of funds to pay the tax. Not to say the court ruled in his favour.
Old 13th August 2010, 21:30   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
According to prosecutors he is now facing the highest possible penalty of 300 days of fines at £2,166 a day – a total of £650,000.
Can somebody clear the 300 days fine part?.
Old 13th August 2010, 21:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Holy moly, the fine is thrice the car price. He can actually buy three cars and bribe the officer with a SLS
sachinj12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2010, 19:57   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Can somebody clear the 300 days fine part?.
As far as I know in Scandinavia (notably Finland), the fine is calculated based on your last known income (as per the tax you filed, etc). So based on the speed you were travelling or the severity of the offence, the fine is calculated as a part of your income. It seems in Finland, speeding fines routinely cross $100K.

So in this case because of the speed he was at, they decided to fine him 300 days income which would have worked out to the exorbitant sum that has been quoted.

Surprisingly this seems to have occurred in Switzerland and I didn't know that Switzerland also had such rules. I am not sure as the driver is Swedish whether he got fined as per Swiss law or Swedish law due to EU regulations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks