Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2013, 17:29   #46
BHPian

Re: What SUV down under?

From the ones that you have downselected, the nissan xtrail seems to be the best bet - solely my personal opinion. But I would request you to look at the subaru forrester. Its good hardy and long lasting... if u r looking at it for longer use, but its not a offroader per say.

If you can look at the latest mitsubishi pajero in australia - its damn good. I will also suggest that you definitely look at merc g-wagon (g series), land rover freelander/defender (whichever is cheaper) , toyota land cruiser, toyota fj cruiser. Also thr is a lexus model (cannot recollect right now) which is cheaper than land cruiser but better features and comfort. These are definitely the models that you should look at if u r thinking of a 4x4 in australia. The other legendary 4x4 builder has a very good model called jeep patriot. The jeep wrangler or wrangler rubicon is a hardcore offroader and not for daily use.
debarshim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 18:47   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I probably should have started this thread a bit earlier but then better late than never. I recently moved to Sydney and naturally am in the market for a car. I always wanted to own and drive an SUV and being in Oz does give you a variety of options. Plus I am told there are some nice places I could drive to if I have a good 4X4 SUV. I am not a hard core off-roader but wouldn't mind getting off the road once in a while if it allows me to click some nice pictures when I am taking a road trip.
….
….

So with a heavy heart I was forced to look east and Japan it was. The contenders were Subaru Forrester, Nissan XTrail, Toyota RAV4, Honda CRV and the Mazda CX5. Of these, had to rule out the Mazda CX5 because again it turned out to be a raised hatchback with very little boot space (even lesser than the Vento). Same went for the Subaru Forrester. Moreover my friend in Australia didn't want me to drive a
Great selection dilemma there!
I am not sure if you really need a true-blue 4x4 for your Aussie outback adventures. And what you have shortlisted are essentially crossovers. I would suggest to look at 2WD crossovers, and that will essentially bring the price under 40K, and it will bring some more capable contenders into picture (e.g.; Ford Kuga).

In my opinion, the best option you can go for in the crossover space is the Mazda CX-5. Don't get fooled by its dimensions. It’s a very capable machine, and probably the best driver’s car in this segment, along with the Ford Kuga. Both these options are high on safety and driver engagement. I would suggest to test drive these options before going with the likes of a RAV4.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 19:14   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debarshim View Post
From the ones that you have downselected, the nissan xtrail seems to be the best bet - solely my personal opinion. But I would request you to look at the subaru forrester. Its good hardy and long lasting... if u r looking at it for longer use, but its not a offroader per say.
The Subaru Forrester was considered but it was ruled out because of the limited boot/trunk space is pretty less at 422 liters. Aside from that my friend promised me that she would stop talking to me if I got the Subaru

Quote:
If you can look at the latest mitsubishi pajero in australia - its damn good.
The Pajero costs north of $50,000 which is unthinkable for me. The Outlander could have been an option but I was strongly discouraged from going with a Mitsubishi simply because of their reputation in the market now. Although they make very good cars, they simply don't seem to be committed to it as such the resale value here suffers.

Quote:
I will also suggest that you definitely look at merc g-wagon (g series), land rover freelander/defender (whichever is cheaper) , toyota land cruiser, toyota fj cruiser. Also thr is a lexus model (cannot recollect right now) which is cheaper than land cruiser but better features and comfort.
Sir, I have not struck oil wells here . I will have to rob a few banks to buy these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Great selection dilemma there!
I am not sure if you really need a true-blue 4x4 for your Aussie outback adventures. And what you have shortlisted are essentially crossovers. I would suggest to look at 2WD crossovers, and that will essentially bring the price under 40K, and it will bring some more capable contenders into picture (e.g.; Ford Kuga).

In my opinion, the best option you can go for in the crossover space is the Mazda CX-5. Don't get fooled by its dimensions. It’s a very capable machine, and probably the best driver’s car in this segment, along with the Ford Kuga. Both these options are high on safety and driver engagement. I would suggest to test drive these options before going with the likes of a RAV4.
I considered the Mazda CX-5 but ruled it out because of the puny 150 mm GC. There are many places within the city which have inclines and I was scared that with that kind of GC I won't even need to off road to bottom out. Also the trunk/boot space is pathetic in the CX5. The Ford Kuga I believe is also above $40000. I really am not going to devote all my time in off roading but I guess since I want a 4X4 for some tricky places I rather get a capable one. The RAV4, the CRV and the XTrail kind of come under $40000 with the XTrail being the lowest and I got a very good finance option offer on it. I agree that these are crossover SUVs and not true blue ones. Don't think I can afford a true blue one.
Old 28th July 2013, 17:24   #49
BHPian

So test drove the RAV4 diesel version today. It comes with a 2.2L turbo charged engine mated to the same 6 speed automatic gearbox. The power output stands at about 147 HP with a peak torque of 340 Nm at 2000 RPM. Naturally I was worried about what kind of turbo lag it might have. However I was pleasantly surprised that Toyota did another wonderful job of mating the automatic very well with the oil burner too. Acceleration from standstill was super smooth and I simply didn't feel that I was driving a turbo charged diesel with an automatic. The engine is very free revving and the shifts fast enough to move the vehicle ahead quickly. The biggest downer on this one was the engine noise. As soon as I cranked the engine there is a loud clatter, no shudder, and that clatter remained at highly audible levels within the cabin. It became even louder when the engine was revved hard. Toyota has done a real poor job in noise insulation, I must say. Even my VW Vento sounds a lot quieter on the inside. Apart from that there were no basic complaints except the price. It costs about $8000 more than the petrol version. Totally out of my budget.

Toyota is minting money on the RAV4 however it still trails the Mazda CX5 and Nissan XTrail in this market in terms of sales numbers. Folks buy the Mazda because of its looks and superior handling, but I am very skeptical about its super low GC at 150 mm. What is the point of getting an AWD crossover when you can't even get anywhere near light off-roading? So it looks like Nissan XTrail it would be with the base version coming with alloys and the boot/trunk space at a whopping 604 liters. Add to that the Nissan 0% finance offer I think it is a much sweeter deal. Three years down the line I would have repaid my car loan and still sell the car anywhere between $20000-25000 all market conditions remaining the same. Not bad. Hopefully I should close the deal by next week and have another ownership review up.

Next up questions on tire upsizing. The stock tires are Dunlops at 225/60/17. I am thinking of going to 235 to just get a little more better braking as the XTrail doesn't have the best in class braking or handling like the Mazda CX5 or RAV4.
Old 14th August 2013, 16:35   #50
BHPian

Quote:
The Subaru Forrester was considered but it was ruled out because of the limited boot/trunk space is pretty less at 422 liters. Aside from that my friend promised me that she would stop talking to me if I got the Subaru
Sirjee with all due respect, I need to agree with you. You are nuts! This is one of the best cars made in the world period. There can be no debating that. Infact, if maintained well, it will take you most places the Rav4 and Xtrail wont and last beyond your life to boot. Even if you are a 10 year old stripling. I owned the Impreza and I swear by Subaru. They are not only amongst the safest cars made, they have good to great performance, bullet proof reliability and are cheap as sawdust to maintain. Public perception be damned I would seriously reconsider this car. Especially since you can easily dump a Thule luggage carrier on the roof for those trips where extra luggage is of vital importance. I can't stress that you take another look at this car enough. Atleast go test drive it. Your lady friend will get over it if you buy one. If not.....there are other friends to be made!!!

Quote:

The Pajero costs north of $50,000 which is unthinkable for me. The Outlander could have been an option but I was strongly discouraged from going with a Mitsubishi simply because of their reputation in the market now. Although they make very good cars, they simply don't seem to be committed to it as such the resale value here suffers.

The RAV4, the CRV and the XTrail kind of come under $40000 with the XTrail being the lowest and I got a very good finance option offer on it. I agree that these are crossover SUVs and not true blue ones. Don't think I can afford a true blue one.
You could probably afford a Pre-Owned Mitsu Challenger which is also known as a Pajero Sport in India. If ownership period is long, bugger the re-sale value. Damn capable car this.

The Xtrail has 479/600 Ltrs luggage space with/without rear drawer. The 2013 forester has 505 ltrs luggage capacity but is more spacious within the cabin. Main problem with it is CVT gearbox which I personally do not like.

If I were you I would look at pre-owned Challengers (Should get great ones for AUD 30,000-40,000) or get a new manual trnasmission 2013 Forester. The Rav4, CRV and X-Trail all leave much to be desired (I have driven the Rav4 and CRV in the US; the CRV and X-Trail in India and the X-Trail in Dubai and Thailand. This has been my experience. Of the three, I like the X-Trail but would never plonk my money on one as the cabin is just too small for me)

Do let us know what you decide doing.

Cheers!

imp!
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 18:48   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Sirjee with all due respect, I need to agree with you. You are nuts! This is one of the best cars made in the world period.

The 2013 forester has 505 ltrs luggage capacity but is more spacious within the cabin. Main problem with it is CVT gearbox which I personally do not like.
I have never doubted the competency of the Subaru. I have always known that they make very competent cars. However I did check the boot space of the 2013 Subaru here and it is limited. Please check the specs on this link http://www.subaru.com.au/forester/2.0i-2.5i/specs. Since I am looking for a new car and with the price points I was not looking at additional expense of adding luggage carrier at this point.

Quote:
There can be no debating thatInfact, if maintained well, it will take you most places the Rav4 and Xtrail wont and last beyond your life to boot.
Well I kinda finalized on the XTrail. This was more because the XTrail in terms of finance was working out to be much cheaper. Nissan was running a zero deposit zero percent finance scheme which made me go for it. As for the capabilities of the XTrail, I am sure its no slouch either. Check out some of the videos on YouTube of the things it can do. Here is one

I agree this is a cheesy one. At the moment I can't find some of the ones I was looking at and it seems the XTrail handles the Ozzie bush here pretty well. Though I am not looking to do too much off-roading like this . At the end of the day it is still a crossover and should not be subjected to hard core offroading is what I was advised.

Quote:
Your lady friend will get over it if you buy one. If not.....there are other friends to be made!!!

Quote:
You could probably afford a Pre-Owned Mitsu Challenger which is also known as a Pajero Sport in India. If ownership period is long, bugger the re-sale value. Damn capable car this.
Ownership period might not be long so was not looking at used cars any more.

Quote:
The Xtrail has 479/600 Ltrs luggage space with/without rear drawer. The 2013 forester has 505 ltrs luggage capacity but is more spacious within the cabin. Main problem with it is CVT gearbox which I personally do not like.

Of the three, I like the X-Trail but would never plonk my money on one as the cabin is just too small for me)
From a cabin space perspective I was okay with it as I myself do not take up a lot of volume. What I liked most was the very high seating position it gave me giving me an excellent view of the road. This was missing in the RAV4 and the CRV although the CRV was the smoothest drive. From a luggage space standpoint, the entire rear drawer can be dismantled which frees up more space at the rear. And I agree with you on the CVT gearbox. Actually the XTrail has already arrived and waiting to be collected from the dealer. Only work commitments is keeping me away from picking it up. It was not a bad choice in hindsight given its capabilities, features and mostly the financial aspects which appealed to me. I should collect it on Friday and hopefully a ownership report should be up soon.
Old 14th August 2013, 19:58   #52
Senior - BHPian

I have enjoyed using and driving a 2011 Subaru Forester in the UK. Fantastic vehicle. Super spacious. Plenty of luggage went in I can tell you.

Having said that yes, the Nissan X Trail is more spacious in terms of luggage area.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 11:02   #53
BHPian

Quote:
I have never doubted the competency of the Subaru. I have always known that they make very competent cars. However I did check the boot space of the 2013 Subaru here and it is limited. Please check the specs on this link http://www.subaru.com.au/forester/2.0i-2.5i/specs. Since I am looking for a new car and with the price points I was not looking at additional expense of adding luggage carrier at this point.

Well I kinda finalized on the XTrail. This was more because the XTrail in terms of finance was working out to be much cheaper. Nissan was running a zero deposit zero percent finance scheme which made me go for it. As for the capabilities of the XTrail, I am sure its no slouch either. Check out some of the videos on YouTube of the things it can do. Here is one

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=HAuLVPZhaqA

I agree this is a cheesy one. At the moment I can't find some of the ones I was looking at and it seems the XTrail handles the Ozzie bush here pretty well. Though I am not looking to do too much off-roading like this . At the end of the day it is still a crossover and should not be subjected to hard core offroading is what I was advised.

Ownership period might not be long so was not looking at used cars any more.

From a cabin space perspective I was okay with it as I myself do not take up a lot of volume. What I liked most was the very high seating position it gave me giving me an excellent view of the road. This was missing in the RAV4 and the CRV although the CRV was the smoothest drive. From a luggage space standpoint, the entire rear drawer can be dismantled which frees up more space at the rear. And I agree with you on the CVT gearbox. Actually the XTrail has already arrived and waiting to be collected from the dealer. Only work commitments is keeping me away from picking it up. It was not a bad choice in hindsight given its capabilities, features and mostly the financial aspects which appealed to me. I should collect it on Friday and hopefully a ownership report should be up soon.

Congratulations on your decision man! the X-Trail is a capable car and I wish you many happy miles with it. Did you pick it up? do post some photos and an initial review if you can!
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:26   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your decision man! the X-Trail is a capable car and I wish you many happy miles with it. Did you pick it up? do post some photos and an initial review if you can!
Sorry about delayed response. Yes its getting close to a month now and almost time for a customary service check. It runs pretty well though given the run in period, I have kept the RPM below 3500 till now. I believe it should start running smoother after it crosses the 1000 km mark which is about 90 clicks away . I have been lazy of late so need to put in a number of updates including an ownership review. I should be able to do it sometime this month. Thanks for your wishes .
Old 8th May 2014, 10:23   #55
BHPian

Honda Fit Aria vs Nissan Tiida Latio

Hi All,
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question.MODS please move it to the appropriate forum if not.
I live in New Zealand. I am looking to buy a used car, a sedan and have shortlisted the Honda Fit Aria(the City in india) and the Nissan Tiida Latio Sedan. Both cars are of the Model year 2004. The Fit has a 1340cc Engine and whereas the Tiida has a 1500cc one. Tiida is slightly larger seems to have better interiors and equipment(climate control etc). I would like to know which is better of the cars in terms of reliability, performance etc.
Thanks
Sethu
Old 17th May 2014, 16:18   #56
BHPian

Re: Honda Fit Aria vs Nissan Tiida Latio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethuv View Post
Hi All,
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question.MODS please move it to the appropriate forum if not.
I live in New Zealand. I am looking to buy a used car, a sedan and have shortlisted the Honda Fit Aria(the City in india) and the Nissan Tiida Latio Sedan. Both cars are of the Model year 2004. The Fit has a 1340cc Engine and whereas the Tiida has a 1500cc one. Tiida is slightly larger seems to have better interiors and equipment(climate control etc). I would like to know which is better of the cars in terms of reliability, performance etc.
Thanks
Sethu
Hi Sethu,

You haven't mentioned what transmissions come with the car. I have driven both cars (the Nissan Versa in the US is the same car, but engine is larger if I remember correctly); to be honest it is very hard to compare since the City I have driven is the Indian Spec and the Versa the US spec, the City had more of a feel good factor and handled better than the Versa. In terms of reliability and performance, the people who owned Hondas in the US spent less than the people who owned Nissans. Not having owned the Nissan, I can't really compare. Have you driven both cars? But a few things to consider:

1) Which do you prefer driving?
2) What is the mileage of each car?
3) What has the maintenance been like? Are all the records available?
4) Is it a dealer or owner sale? How reliable is the dealer? What impression does the owner give?
5) How many owners have the cars had? 1 is fine, 2 can be specious, 3 or more? I'd stay away (from my personal experience)
6) Have either of the cars been in an accident?
7) Please check for rusting, I've heard lots of Kiwis face this problem

They are both 10 year old cars and maintenance issues will start creeping up over the next few years, if it hasn't already. If you can provide more info about the cars you may get a more helpful response,
Old 20th May 2014, 05:00   #57
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buying a Car in Australia

Hows the servicing and maintenance costs like for Ford Focus models which are about 4-5 years old? Being a Ford fan, i am inclined towards the Focus range, but kinda apprehensive on the maintenance costs.
Old 22nd May 2014, 04:48   #58
BHPian

Re: Honda Fit Aria vs Nissan Tiida Latio

Thanks. Both cars are CVT. Fit Arias are a little tough to find and there are plenty of Tiidas in the market.

1) Which do you prefer driving?
The Honda.
2) What is the mileage of each car?
Both of them have similar mileage around 65k kms
3) What has the maintenance been like? Are all the records available?
Nothing. These are direct imports from Japan and I would be the first owner in NZ. So theres no way i can get the records
4) Is it a dealer or owner sale? How reliable is the dealer? What impression does the owner give?
Its a dealer sale. The dealer is a registered one. I plan to get the car inspected by AA/VTNZ who do a thorough inspection and give a report with grading.
5) How many owners have the cars had? 1 is fine, 2 can be specious, 3 or more? I'd stay away (from my personal experience)

6) Have either of the cars been in an accident?

Unfortunately no way of knowing these
7) Please check for rusting, I've heard lots of Kiwis face this problem
Thanks Sure would. The AA report would cover this as well.
Old 29th March 2016, 08:43   #59

Call me lazy,but...

Hello all,

First of all, would like to thank and appreciate the Mods and Members of this forum. Its one of the most interactive, informative, no BS forum I have come across.

I was wondering, if there is a similar car and bike inclusive everything forum for Australia. The forums that i have come across are brand specific, topic specific, what I am looking for is something similar to team-bhp.

Thanks and keep touring.
albatross11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 06:53   #60
BHPian

Re: Call me lazy,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross11 View Post
Hello all,

First of all, would like to thank and appreciate the Mods and Members of this forum. Its one of the most interactive, informative, no BS forum I have come across.

I was wondering, if there is a similar car and bike inclusive everything forum for Australia. The forums that i have come across are brand specific, topic specific, what I am looking for is something similar to team-bhp.

Thanks and keep touring.
Down here, from what lil I know, Whirlpool forums are very active and Automotive sections has many sections. I've been following the Ford Mustang closely.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/133

Other than this there are a lot of Brand specific forums and this whirlpool link might help: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=663012

I'm not active anywhere, just a lurker for now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks