Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2010, 23:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

HOT Ride. Love the Wheels.
I agree. If you do not want to puncture holes in the front bumper - MOVE TO GEORGIA!
AFAIK, its one of them states that do not require a front licence plate. Atleast I didnt put one on while I was out there and I was never pulled over
Old 6th October 2010, 23:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
I agree. If you do not want to puncture holes in the front bumper - MOVE TO GEORGIA!
AFAIK, its one of them states that do not require a front licence plate. Atleast I didnt put one on while I was out there and I was never pulled over
IL requires it and I havent run front plates in 12 years on any of my cars including the G35, Vette and the GT-R. I was stopped one time on the vette, mostly because of my tinted windows and once on the gt-r because they were stopping all cars on the road @ 3am and they had to find something wrong. It was a make money gimick. The first one I contested by putting a stickon plate, taking a picture, going to the judge and saying well I have one now, so got that dropped.

Anyhow OT, you are making me look for a Z06 for the track now. I even short listed few, now I need to figure out how to sell my GT-R
Old 7th October 2010, 01:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
Awesome car buddy, makes me miss mine. I want one as a track car with the right prep. The GT-R is getting too expensive for the track to go 2 weekends a month.

It must be nice to be able to goto the track all year round. Esp now that the F1 track is coming up there. I will plan on hitting that track once they organize an event down there.

Enjoy the car in good health, your car is nicely setup for the track. Oh you really make me miss my car now :.-\

PS: You know yellow is the fastest right sorry if you have been to CF you know we all yank each others chains with the color choices..Are you also onCF, I am KILR-RYD. Havent posted much since I got my GT-R, but i know few people on there plus corvette community is the best amongst the tracking junkies.

To me the Corvette is expensive for track, but if Vitamin M is sufficient, it would really make a perfect track vehicle. I am thinking of buying a Miata for track only, this way I dont need be worried about 400$ tires & 600$ brakes every few events, Miata would would run me 50$ for tires & not much more for brakes, also the initial ownership costs are low & sinc eit would be a track only car, I can go with a full blown roll cage etc & dont need to worry about getting hurt while on track, then to get it turbo-ed

I have my fingers crossed for F1 track, it would be awesome if they would rent it out to clubs for weekend track days, it would be fun.

Really nope red is the fastest especially Victory Red :P, yes I am regular on CF, rag1998.

Keep in touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanth_benz View Post
Oh yes your right. Chrome wheels with black rear is definitely a big no no. Once you do switch over to the all black wheels then yes, with a CF hood perhaps

Cheers!
yeah yeah, I should probably plan high profile bank robbery to get all that stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Thanks for the compliments 9thsphinx, Never had one on my previous car for 2 years & was never pulled over, red vette is definitely a cop magnet, I thinking of getting one of those remote roll up license plate brackets. But I am not convinced if it can with hold the speeds on tracks.

Quote:
IL requires it and I havent run front plates in 12 years on any of my cars including the G35, Vette and the GT-R. I was stopped one time on the vette, mostly because of my tinted windows and once on the gt-r because they were stopping all cars on the road @ 3am and they had to find something wrong. It was a make money gimick. The first one I contested by putting a stickon plate, taking a picture, going to the judge and saying well I have one now, so got that dropped.

Anyhow OT, you are making me look for a Z06 for the track now. I even short listed few, now I need to figure out how to sell my GT-R
What are you waiting for then? Get it & satisfy your hunger. GTR is a great car with very advanced technology, but what fun is it when the computer is taking care of everything, no offence intended there(I rode in one & its great, point & shoot), I drive mine with all systems turned OFF, no assistance from machine chips, my brain & body are doing the work & so far didn't have any problems(knock on wood). Z06 is awesome & would definitely make a perfect track monster, look for pre-built ones & see if you could find one, would be a lot cheaper than starting fresh, just my 2C's.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th October 2010 at 07:53.
Old 7th October 2010, 03:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette8991 View Post
To me the Corvette is expensive for track, but if Vitamin M is sufficient, it would really make a perfect track vehicle. I am thinking of buying a Miata for track only, this way I dont need be worried about 400$ tires & 600$ brakes every few events, Miata would would run me 50$ for tires & not much more for brakes, also the initial ownership costs are low & sinc eit would be a track only car, I can go with a full blown roll cage etc & dont need to worry about getting hurt while on track, then to get it turbo-ed

I have my fingers crossed for F1 track, it would be awesome if they would rent it out to clubs for weekend track days, it would be fun.

Really nope red is the fastest especially Victory Red :P, yes I am regular on CF, rag1998.

Keep in touch

What are you waiting for then? Get it & satisfy your hunger . GTR is a great car with very advanced technology, but what fun is it when the computer is taking care of everything, no offence intended there(I rode in one & its great, point & shoot), I drive mine with all systems turned OFF, no assistance from machine chips, my brain & body are doing the work & so far didn't have any problems(knock on wood). Z06 is awesome & would definitely make a perfect track monster, look for pre-built ones & see if you could find one, would be a lot cheaper than starting fresh, just my 2C's.
Well the vette is an expensive ordeal on the track, the only inexpensive track cars that I know off are Miata, Exige and possibly S2000. I somehow need to like the styling of the car even if its a track toy and I cant say that i do of any of the 3 mentioned cars.

But I am sure whatever the cost of tracking a vette is it will be far less than the GT-R.

For your vette you should have 18" wheels with Toyo R888s from race team for track duty. 400$ for all 4 and will last you atleast 10 days on the track.

Whenever they open the austin track to the public, I will drive down for an event or 2, heard its a great track design.

Most people make the mistake of thinking GT-R is easy to drive on the track and that it drives itself. Those are stories from guys who cant believe what the car is capable of. The only difference between the vette and the GT-R is that GT-R has more grip and hence is slightly more forgiving when you do get on it sooner. But if you have not seen a GT-R drifting through turns, the guy is not driving hard enough Trust me, I have driven both on the track and GT-R is not as people say point and shoot.

As for driving with all systems off is not the best until you drive with track insurance, because as you know if you are smooth, the system will never kick in for you. Drive it in comp mode and you should never see the computer interfere, atleast thats what the track gurus have told me esp the ones driving C6R replicas on the track.

I really do want to pull the trigger on this gorgeous red Z06 with 3 sets of wheels and a massive engine upgrade putting down 63X hp to the wheels with coilovers, sway bars, bbk for a decent price. The problem is I am going back to india for good in the next month or 2 and dont know if I can make this trade so quickly. I want to keep a track car for when i come back and visit every so often, so thats the reason I am still looking. I want one prebuilt except I might need to make some minor mods anyways.

BTW why do you think GM runs vel yellow C6Rs its cuz they are the fastest
Old 7th October 2010, 03:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Well the vette is an expensive ordeal on the track, the only inexpensive track cars that I know off are Miata, Exige and possibly S2000. I somehow need to like the styling of the car even if its a track toy and I cant say that i do of any of the 3 mentioned cars.

But I am sure whatever the cost of tracking a vette is it will be far less than the GT-R.
Yea I agree, though I do want to run the Vette on track due to the power & styling, it jsut isnt economical for me, thats why I am thinking of going the Miata route.

Quote:

For your vette you should have 18" wheels with Toyo R888s from race team for track duty. 400$ for all 4 and will last you atleast 10 days on the track.
Yea I am thinking of going with scrubs for now before I step up my level & calculates secs & milli secs with brand new tires.

Quote:
Whenever they open the austin track to the public, I will drive down for an event or 2, heard its a great track design.
Yea it is, would be glad to run with you, whenever that is..

Quote:
Most people make the mistake of thinking GT-R is easy to drive on the track and that it drives itself. Those are stories from guys who cant believe what the car is capable of. The only difference between the vette and the GT-R is that GT-R has more grip and hence is slightly more forgiving when you do get on it sooner. But if you have not seen a GT-R drifting through turns, the guy is not driving hard enough Trust me, I have driven both on the track and GT-R is not as people say point and shoot.
I believe you, what I heard was from others who dont own a GTR but have driven one, so everything they say might not be true, but I did hear enough good things from a lot of people regarding the car overall, to make me think its a good car and like I said I did ride in one & it felt totally different, never drove one though I did get a chance to drive, I am really against driving others cars especially on track even if they are my best buddies. There is a lot that can go wrong in secs & I really hope that I didn't offend you in anyway..

Quote:
As for driving with all systems off is not the best until you drive with track insurance, because as you know if you are smooth, the system will never kick in for you. Drive it in comp mode and you should never see the computer interfere, atleast thats what the track gurus have told me esp the ones driving C6R replicas on the track.
I did run with comp mode during my first few track sessions, later based on several suggestions from instructors & other that saw my driving style, I decided to switch everything off, now I am more concentrated on the track & have my senses more focused on what the car is doing, instead of the car in front & the car in my rear-view mirror Track insurance is required for peace of mind, though I dont currently have any(aren't cheap), I am hoping my road insurance will cover it though & am really hoping not to go there..

Quote:
I really do want to pull the trigger on this gorgeous red Z06 with 3 sets of wheels and a massive engine upgrade putting down 63X hp to the wheels with coilovers, sway bars, bbk for a decent price. The problem is I am going back to india for good in the next month or 2 and dont know if I can make this trade so quickly. I want to keep a track car for when i come back and visit every so often, so thats the reason I am still looking. I want one prebuilt except I might need to make some minor mods anyways.

BTW why do you think GM runs vel yellow C6Rs its cuz they are the fastest
May I ask why you are looking at a red Z06 them :P

I envy that you are moving to India for good, what ever car you decide on, leave it with me & I promise that I will take very good care of it
Old 7th October 2010, 05:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Awesome car v8991. Love the black wheels (I see too many chrome ones here) but I prefer the coupe rather than the hatch. Supposed to be lighter and stiffer too.

Now as far as the utlimate all purpose-track car, its gotta be the M3. Go to work M-F, do groceries on Saturday, Go out with friends Sat night and do a track day on Sunday
Old 7th October 2010, 15:34   #22
BHPian

Nice Ride!

BTW, you had mentioned in your intro that you use Nitto Invo in the rear for street. Any reviews?
Old 7th October 2010, 23:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Awesome car v8991. Love the black wheels (I see too many chrome ones here) but I prefer the coupe rather than the hatch. Supposed to be lighter and stiffer too.

Now as far as the utlimate all purpose-track car, its gotta be the M3. Go to work M-F, do groceries on Saturday, Go out with friends Sat night and do a track day on Sunday
Thanks for the compliments Mpower, I do like M cars, especially the Z's, I a more into coupes & 2 seater than into convertibles & 4 doors, I can see a 4 door being handy when I have family, but currently I am a free bird & most of the time I am the only one driving the car, so I want something that suits me best for the price I am paying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
Nice Ride!

BTW, you had mentioned in your intro that you use Nitto Invo in the rear for street. Any reviews?
Thanks jaguar, well keeping it short I will say they are huge improvement to the Stock SuperCar tyres that come with Z51 package that are supposed to be better than base Corvette tyres.

Nitto's are smoother(sidewall is not as rigid as stock), improved grip, less road noise, corner handling is well, been running them for 16K miles now + 4 track days, still have a lot of meat left, where the stock tires were gone by 13k miles. I am happy & will buy them again, but would like to try something else next time.
Old 8th October 2010, 12:59   #24
BHPian

Very nice write up and informative review! Hot car as well.

Deep inside i always have a thing for vette.

Just a quick one. Your wheels powder coated or painted? Matte or metallic?
Old 8th October 2010, 14:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette8991 View Post
Yea I agree, though I do want to run the Vette on track due to the power & styling, it jsut isnt economical for me, thats why I am thinking of going the Miata route.
beauty of a car. vettes will always have a spot in my heart.

miata's are a great choice for track use. my wife had one which i was contemplating turning into a track car. handled like it was on rails factory. not to mention there's a ton of aftermarket parts available for them. let's not forget the monster v8 conversion kits you can also get. i guess bottom line is what type of racing class you want to compete in, in the end.

lately i've been contemplating getting a pontiac solstice or a saturn sky. i like the looks of the sky better and it would strictly be a track car for me. something i can get a day permit on, drive out to the track and drive home at the end of the day. gm themselves had a performance program to hop up the solstice, but also can be applied to the sky. parts will probably be a bit harder to come by as time goes on but still a good alternative to the miata me thinks.
Old 9th October 2010, 00:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Nice.

A very good lookin car. Get us more pics if you can.
Old 9th October 2010, 07:28   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Very nice write up and informative review! Hot car as well.

Deep inside i always have a thing for vette.

Just a quick one. Your wheels powder coated or painted? Matte or metallic?
Thanks Dante!

Wheels neither painted/powder coated but are anodized shot peened.

Here is a closer pic(courtesy of CCWheel dot com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
beauty of a car. vettes will always have a spot in my heart.

miata's are a great choice for track use. my wife had one which i was contemplating turning into a track car. handled like it was on rails factory. not to mention there's a ton of aftermarket parts available for them. let's not forget the monster v8 conversion kits you can also get. i guess bottom line is what type of racing class you want to compete in, in the end.

lately i've been contemplating getting a pontiac solstice or a saturn sky. i like the looks of the sky better and it would strictly be a track car for me. something i can get a day permit on, drive out to the track and drive home at the end of the day. gm themselves had a performance program to hop up the solstice, but also can be applied to the sky. parts will probably be a bit harder to come by as time goes on but still a good alternative to the miata me thinks.
Thanks Fantasy!, Miata's are great on track & also cheaper to maintain & like you said the huge after-market & forum support is great, I definitely dont want to go with the V8 conversion route due to overheating & other issues on track.

I like the Solstice better than Sky, dont know about how it is in Canada but here there too many chicks driving th sky(j/k), both look great, but my personal preference would be Solstice, especially the coupe , they are rare as well as offer better protection on track. Would make a good track vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
A very good lookin car. Get us more pics if you can.
Thanks Stanjohn, I am not that much into photography, so I cant promise, but will try.
Attached Thumbnails
Red hot lady - 08 Z51 Corvette LS3 3LT Ownership Report-shotpeened_bright_black.jpg  

Old 9th October 2010, 11:31   #28
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Deleted. Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled. Thanks.

Last edited by Amartya : 9th October 2010 at 11:38. Reason: One liner post, with nothing to add to the discussion
Skyline GT-R is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th October 2010, 16:59   #29
BHPian

Wow no words. Red color looks amazingly hot. Congrats buddy. Enjoy your rides.
Old 11th October 2010, 20:43   #30
BHPian

Great looking car there. I too love Vettes. I had a CTS-V with the LS6 engine. I traded it in for a Solstice GXP. The V was an amazing car. The more hard core racer you make your corvette the more uncomfortable it'll be for regular use especially, if you're considering it to be used as a daily driver. Will you be keeping all your race mods still?

Have fun..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks